Radisson Worldgate -- BEWARE!

Tinkerbelll

Mouseketeer
DBF and I just moved to Florida a couple weeks ago, so we decided that we should take a relaxing weekend trip to Orlando to visit the mouse. We just couldn't justify spending $80.00+ a night on a Disney hotel because it wasn't really a vacation, but more like a last minute trip. So we made the mistake of using priceline. I know that many have had good luck with this in the past but we were not as fortunate. We ended up "winning" 2 nights at the Radisson Worldgate in the Disney World Area for $45.00 a night.

The first room that we got had two double beds when we requested a King. The furniture was falling apart, the air conditioning unit was loud and half working, and it was dirty. We requested a different room right away.

It was worse. We got to the new room, which had a "Sleep-number" bed that Radisson recommended for $10.00 more a night due to the fact that we didn't want to sleep on the cardboard beds that were in the previous room. The sleep-number bed didn't even work. We also found 2 little black bugs in the sheets of the bed and the room had a horrible damp musky smell. Sure enough, right there in the corner... MOLD :crazy2: And to add to it, in the corner of the room, there was exposed insulation. Here are some pictures to show you that we are not exaggerating.

The mold on the carpet in the corner
DSC02044.jpg

The exposed insulation
DSC02045.jpg

Finally we requested to be moved to a different Radisson property because obviously this hotel had some major issues. But the manager on duty assured us that she would personally take us to a room until we were satisfied, and that all Radisson properties are franchised and that moving to another one was out of the question. This took 3 more rooms and we ended up in what they called an "executive suite." Basically this room was just cleaner, on the corner of the hotel, and had a few furniture upgrades. The big difference was that this room had central air conditioning, which was perfect because the individual air conditioning units in the other rooms we saw were all run down, leaking, and smelly. Make sure if you ever get stuck at this hotel you request an executive suite. There are only a few of them, but they were the only rooms that were not disgusting and/or falling apart.

The main pool area was decent. They had fire torches burning around the pool at night, but after seeing the quality of the rooms in this hotel and the lack of cleanliness in general, I could not bring myself to use it. Also the spa was broken and was roped off with ribbon. The second pool area was just disgusting and we didn't see anyone in it the whole time we were there. It was obviously not tended to and was completely unusable.

The only good thing about this hotel was the location. We could see Expedition Everest and the Tree of Life from our 5th floor window. It was literally in the backyard of Animal Kingdom and about a three minute drive to the front of the park using back roads. Hopefully they can completely renovate this property because the location is really amazing. In fact, with a little exploring we found that literally in the back of the parking lot of the Radisson was the Disney World Merchandise Building. And across the small street was the Entertainment Building (I think this is where they hold auditions and practice rooms for performers). It would be interesting to see exactly where the Disney World property ends and Radisson's begins. I am assuming the hotel is right on the border.

We would never stay here again and will steer clear of all Radisson properties in the future (although the manager did mention that Radisson properties are franchised and are independently owned and operated, which means it could be hit or miss). Also, we probably will not use the priceline service again because this hotel was listed as a 3 star hotel, and it was no where near the standard for that star rating. Just for reference purposes, the Value resorts on Disney property are all listed as only 2 and a half stars. No way that this hotel was even close to the standards of Pop Century. We have stayed at much nicer off-site hotels for under $50.00 a night, such as the Holiday Inn Sunspree.

Thank you for taking the time to post. We all rely on reviews like this!!

write priceline and tell them - show them your pictures.

hotels and resorts have been downgraded by priceline. Or if the room is bad enough - dropped entirely.

Im so sorry u experience such a nightmare on your mini vacation :sad2:
I thank you for sharing your experience and I can only hope that
you write a letter to Priceline and the Radisson chain in order in
hopes that they will take action!!! :flower3:

Thanks for all the replies. We are in the process of writing to both the Radisson and Priceline and with any luck no one else will have to endure these problems in the future. I can't imagine an unknowing family going to Orlando for a week long vacation and being stuck in these horrible conditions. :sad2: I'll let you all know if we get any kind of response.

We were there last weekend Thank goodness for one night. While our room wasn't dirty we had NO hot water. We keep calling and complaining to no avil. I also bidded off of orbitz. Won't do that again.

Too bad the Priceline and Orbitz commercials don't mention what guests can get. ;)
It can happen at any hotel. But at least if you booked it yourself you could demand a refund and leave.
I think they are a Good Neighor Hotel too. Disney would be interested in what conditions guests can expect.

We are also a "lucky winner" of this hotel. We will be there in July for two nights. I am very concerned since we will have a two year old and she gets into stuff. I think I am going to cry. My husband will kill me if I spend anymore money on another room. I have called priceline and they assured me that my stay will be nice. I should have just gone with a 2.5 star and known what I was in for. Darn, darn, darn!!!

We are also a "lucky winner" of this hotel. We will be there in July for two nights. I am very concerned since we will have a two year old and she gets into stuff. I think I am going to cry. My husband will kill me if I spend anymore money on another room. I have called priceline and they assured me that my stay will be nice. I should have just gone with a 2.5 star and known what I was in for. Darn, darn, darn!!!

Awww! Don't cry! :grouphug: Remember, if you are put into an unacceptable room, say something right away. We were brought to four unacceptable rooms before we were satisfied. I think we ended up in an "executive suite." Apparently, the Radisson has a "If your not satisfied, you don't pay" policy. There were little signs in the rooms during our stay. Obviously if the policy were 100% effective, we would not be out $150.00, but all is well. Try not to stress too much. You will probably be spending way less time in the room than you think anyway. Hope you have a magical vacation!

BTW -- We did send letters and pictures to Radisson Inc., priceline.com, AND Disney World, because, unfortunately, The Radisson Worldgate is listed as a Disney World "Good Neighbor" hotel. Our letter to Disney was not really a complaint letter because this hotel is obviously not their responsibility. We were just trying to let them know about the horrid room conditions that this hotel offered to guests while at the same time advertising a strong affiliation with Disney World all over the grounds of the property, as well as on their website. It is quite misleading for the unknowing family. Needless to say, a representative from Disney World LOOKED ME UP in their computers (as I mentioned in the letter that DBF and I are frequent visitors) and CALLED me (I didn't leave a phone number on the letter) and would like to talk to us, especially if we do not hear back from the resort directly. Which we have not yet, as of today. Priceline has also ignored our concerns. The only one who contacted us back was Disney World, the ones who have the least to do with the situation. :sad2: Hopefully, we will hear something from both Radisson and Priceline very soon.

Thank you for taking the time to post this.

I FEEL for anyone that is treated to a terrible hotel room, especially if people are saving up for that once a year vacation and then "stuck" in a situation like this. The big think FREAKED ME OUT!!
I really hope that priceline or the hotel chain responds. If not, I would definitely follow with Disneys call. They clearly would not want to be associated with this type of place.
Good Luck!
If it were me and I had charged the stay, I might call the credit company and tell them you are disputing the charge!

I've been noticing this alot--wondering if you book thru the hotel and pay more, if you get the nice rooms shown in the pictures?

"After asking for another room seeking Sleep Number beds which they advertise as having, it was made clear to us by the staff that since we had booked this hotel by Priceline we could only stay in certain rooms."

I suggest that in the future you check tripadvisor.com before booking a hotel (and don't use Priceline if you want to be sure of what you're getting). There are plenty of warnings there about this hotel.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...isson_Resort_Worldgate-Kissimmee_Florida.html

Hind sight is 20/20. Live and learn. I am going to try to remain positive about it and not let it ruin my trip. I will be at OKW before that so I am just going to focus on that and not tell DH about the negatives;)

Tinkerbell,

Any news from Radisson? We are staying in this hotel in August, 2007. I am wondering if you got to talk to the Radisson people.

Thanks

This is why we are so hesitant to bid 3* in that area..we have gotten this place twice and did not like it either time. Complaining to Priceline does no good..they insist it follows their guidelines for 3*. I think the fact that it has a bar and restaurant makes them feel its 3* worthy..

Yes as long as you dont go in the guestrooms! :eek:

Update! ~~ Yes, we did hear back from Radisson Inc. But we just heard back last week, which happens to be about 2 months after our letter was sent to them. The letter that they sent was a form letter and did not address any of our specific concerns. Regardless, they did include a voucher that entitles us to one free night at any Radisson Resort that we choose and they did refund the $30.00 that was charged per night for the "sleep-number" bed upgrade, which didn't work. We would have loved to actually talk to someone about the issues that we encountered, but my guess is that they are getting more complaints than they can possibly address on a personal level. In Radisson's defense, they did attempt to make right by us. A little late and a little half hearted, but at least we weren't ignored. But when all is said and done, after the deplorable conditions of the hotel, and average customer service, at best, it would be quite difficult to persuade us to stay with them again.

As a side note, we heard nothing at all from Priceline, who received the same letter that Radisson did. We will never use this service again. A lot of the novelty and convenience surrounding the service that they provide is being able to bid on something that you have some control over, by choosing a star level. But as a previous poster suggested, priceline does a very poor job of assigning star ratings to the hotels. It was in no way a 3 star hotel, plain and simple.

Disney, on the other hand, was very interested in what we had to say about this "good neighbor" hotel and we heard back from them in a matter of weeks. We got a personal phone call from a woman who apologized to us more than once for the service and quality we received during our stay. Disney doing Radisson's job. Honestly, though, I am just not that surprised.

For those of you who do choose to stay at this hotel for whatever reason, just keep in mind that you are paying them to stay in their hotel, and therefore are entitled to a clean room, at the very least. Be persistent and you should come out all right.

We had a similar incident with a Priceline property last march, We were booked into a 3* in Bellaire for 4 nights. the grounds were lovely, the hotel looked nice, in a gated area, but it stopped there. Our room was so old and had a lot of safety issures as well as not being very well cleaned. We stayed only 1 night and gave our reasons at the front desk for checking out early. When we arrived home we wrote both the hotel and PL. PL refunded the 3 nights we didn't stay. After 3 weeks of not hearing anything from the hotel I called and we were refunded the night we did stay. I thought PL was very prompt. We also had a lot of pictures, but we didn't even have to send them, I just listed the problems with the room. If we had recieved no results we would have taken it further, there must be some sort of hotel association that inspects these places. Hope you hear from someone soon.

We also stayed one night in this dump last year before checking into our Disney resort. I had a credit from Hotwire to use and ended up with this hotel. We arrived at midnight and were out of there at 8:00 a.m. It was awful!

I have had good experiences with Hotwire and Priceline though, so it's not always bad.

Got this via priceline last March. Our room was not awful, but not a 3* (not SleepNumber beds). Sent complaint to Priceline, and keep urging others to do the same. Nothing happened, hope it's on file somewhere. If they get enough complaints, maybe they will downgrade the place. Esp. if you have pictures like these to send with your argument.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter