Quick review: Raglan Road, Ample Hills

GaryDis

DIS Veteran
Today being our last day, we went over to DS for some shopping and happened on Raglan Road around 11:30. They were able to seat us without reservations just around noon.

I ordered the smoked salmon potato cakes, while DH had the hamburger without cheese. I found the salmon to be average quality, while the potato pancakes were not the east European grated potato pancakes I'm used to. They were more like ordinary pancakes, a stack of small flapjacks five high. They weren't sweet, but it was difficult to discern whether they had any potato at all. They were good for what they were, but I wouldn't order this again because it's not something I'd want. The best part was the crème fraîche, which I found better than the more common sour cream.

DH's hamburger was ok - a hamburger is a hamburger to him. The server asked about fries, which he declined, but she didn't offer alternatives and brought the fries anyway. The server was efficient, but it took longer for the food to be prepared than I'd expect for simple items at lunchtime. Still, it was acceptable. Because of the simple items we got, I wouldn't rule out Raglan Road based on this review, but I personally wouldn't seek it out again.

We had our planned dessert at Ample Hills. I had the vanilla bean and ooey gooey butter cake. The ice cream was rich. and creamy. The vanilla flavor was inconsistent, some bites quite noticeable, others more subtle, but perhaps that was me. Nevertheless it was good. Never having had ooey gooey butter cake before (apparently it's a St. Louis thing), I can't really judge it. It seemed like a cake with a slightly carmelized sugar coating, tasty, but bland.

I usually order vanilla the first time I sampled brand, as it's the best way to judge overall quality. I don't think this is the best ice cream I've ever had, but it's good, a bit better than the vanilla ice cream at the SW dessert party. I regret not having the time to compare directly to B&C to be fair.

The two scoop small cup was about the size of the kiddie cups back home. At $6, it's expensive, but certainly better than the mass produced ice cream novelties sold by carts in the parks.

B&C serves Edy's and is $5 (before tax) for a single scoop, $6 for a double. You can compare the flavor at home and get a whole carton for that price! ;)

B&C serves Edy's and is $5 (before tax) for a single scoop, $6 for a double. You can compare the flavor at home and get a whole carton for that price! ;)
I'll freely admit that I have a bias against Edy's as a result of multiple reviews that all rank it near the bottom. But that's why I think it would be more fair to compare the two at around the same time. I have no desire to bring Edy's into my home.

I'll freely admit that I have a bias against Edy's as a result of multiple reviews that all rank it near the bottom. But that's why I think it would be more fair to compare the two at around the same time. I have no desire to bring Edy's into my home.

I'm with you, there, and wouldn't pay $5-6 for it at B&C, either!

I made vanilla ice cream for my son's birthday last weekend. After paying $6 for a dang vanilla bean and standing over the custard for forever waiting for it to thicken, I'd charge $6 for a cup, too. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter