• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quick AP ticket question

huskies90

DIS Veteran
I am pretty sure I know the answer but I will check with the ticket experts anyway. If I bought a DVC Gold AP in July thinking I wouldn't go during the blackout period and now I want to surprise my wife with a quick trip for her B'day (which happens to be April 8 and the start of the Easter blackout period) how much would I pay to upgrade? Would it be the difference between what I paid and the previous Platnium rate ($100) or the difference between the current Gold and Platnium pass ($120)?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I know the answer but I will check with the ticket experts anyway. If I bought a DVC Gold AP in July thinking I wouldn't go during the blackout period and now I want to surprise my wife with a quick trip for her B'day (which happens to be April 8 and the start of the Easter blackout period) how much would I pay to upgrade?
Would it be the difference between what I paid and the previous Platnium rate ($100) or the difference between the current Gold and Platnium pass ($120)?

The difference between what you paid for the DVC Gold AP in July, and the current Platinum pass.
Also, since this would be an upgrade, your anniversary date would not change,
so you would only get the use of the new AP until July 2017.

Under normal circumstances, tickets can't be upgraded later than 14 days after they are first used.
But, APs are sort of in a different category, and they can be upgraded during their active life.
That said, it is POSSIBLE that they might only charge you for the difference between the current Gold and Platnium passes.

So, now that I have not been of any help at all, let me respond to the previous poster. ;)

Last edited:
Difference between the current prices

That would involve "price-bridging," and tickets bought directly from Disney are not price-bridged.

But, since APs are sort of in a different category... see my illogical post above.

Last edited:

Could you renew and upgrade early? Not sure if that is allowed or not.

Or rather, just buy the not blocked out AP at the current price so you have overlapping APs?

Would it be a short enough trip that you're better off just buying base tickets?

Or rather, just buy the not blocked out AP at the current price so you have overlapping APs?

Sure, but that would be very expensive.
It's not that the AP can't be upgraded, its just that I'm not sure of the cost.

Renewing to a higher level pass doesn't change your current pass. Your current pass is still, well, your current pass until the renewal date. The overlapping idea is interesting, but we're talking about roughly 4 months here. I'd think 4 months of an annual pass would be worth more than the $120 that it would cost to upgrade.

Would it be a short enough trip that you're better off just buying base tickets?
The cost to upgrade is roughly $120. Unless he's only going for one day, upgrading is the better option.

We are planning to go for 2 days so upgrading would be cheaper than buying a 2 day hopper.

Yeah, paying the difference between what I paid and the current price does not seem right. I would argue that one with Disney. The upgrade at least should be the difference between the current rates.

Why? You paid them $xxx, and now want to buy something that costs $yyy. Why should you get some extra credit because they raised their prices?
Nope. Not buying. Upgrading an existing pass that has value. If the price of the new pass went up, certainly the value of the current pass went up too, right? Sounds logical? Yes. But this is Disney. Their parks. Their rules. I guess I'll see what happens when I argue...errr...talk to them :)

Nope. Not buying. Upgrading an existing pass that has value. If the price of the new pass went up, certainly the value of the current pass went up too, right? Sounds logical? Yes. But this is Disney. Their parks. Their rules. I guess I'll see what happens when I argue...errr...talk to them :)
Then you should have purchased the pass you needed the first time, back before the price went up. It's the same as exchanging a toaster at Sears; you get the price you paid, not the price they're charging for it today.

Then you should have purchased the pass you needed the first time, back before the price went up. It's the same as exchanging a toaster at Sears; you get the price you paid, not the price they're charging for it today.
Really? Returning a Sears toaster? That is not even apples and oranges. But thanks for the insight. We will see what happens.

That is not even apples and oranges.
Why not? It's exactly the same thing. You purchased a product. They'll let you exchange it for a more expensive version. You get what you paid for it. You can stand there and argue of the $20. They may even give in if you're loud and angry enough. But that's not how it's suppose to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter