Questions regarding Tampa and Chattanooga

SarahKate

DIS Veteran
Yes, I know that's a weird combo!!!

We are driving for the first time and will be coming from Central IL.

Our current plan is to drive straight thru on the way there and take side trips on the way back.

We check out on a Friday and wanted to go to the Tampa/Clearwater area and stay overnite, preferably beachfront and not too expensive. Thoughts on someplace that would fit the bill? Probably no more than $150/nite if that's possible for someplace decent.

Saturday we will start heading towards Chattanooga. Good part of the day there, spend the nite, and the plan is to also spend Sunday nite there and come home on Monday. Is there enough to fill our time if we are there a good part of Saturday and all day on Sunday?

We had also thought about one nite in Chattanooga and one nite in Nashville. Is the Opryland Mills good?

Is 3 nites in 3 different hotels too much or should we do 1 nite in Tampa/Clearwater and 2 in Chattanooga?

Thanks in advance for your input!!!! :)

I enjoy staying at different hotels, so my advice is check them all out, but if you don't like moving around then stay then do the 1 then 2. As for Opryland Mills, its OK. When we go to Chattanooga we enjoy going to the Aquarium. After that we head over to either Ruby Falls or Rock City. Ther is a lot to do, be sure to keep your car doors locked. If you do go to the Aquarium or at least find your self in that area; a good place to grab lunch is Cheeburger Cheeburger. We walk from the aquarium to it. You should plan to see Ruby Falls ( if you are claustiphobic ( ?) then maybe not). The incline is fun, but a little over priced in my opinion. There are a lot of sight seeing types of things, if you find the aquarium then go into the building across the street from it. It is the best visitor center I have come across. They have maps, guides, discounts, ect. They will be able to tell you so much more.

We are in Central Illinois and have driven to FL many times.

We prefer to stop on the way there and drive straight home because we find that traffic builds as you leave Illinois and the drive is often longer going there than coming home.

Tampa to Chattanooga is 9 hours and on the other side of Atlanta so even with an early start it is unlikely you will get there to enjoy a good part (of the sightseeing) day. If you do want to do Chattanooga I would definitely plan on two nights there and skip hitting another spot.

I am not sure how many is in the "we" of you traveling. If its just two adults it will be easier to accomplish than if there are two adults and two toddlers.

Liz

I sometimes drive home to Door County Wis. from the Clearwater area....which is near the beach....It takes me 8 hours to get to Atlanta, it's about 10 hours to Chattanooga (remember you have mtns. to go through in that area which always takes a little longer, also very pretty, it takes about another 2 hours to get to Nashville. The furtherest I have ever driven in one day from the Clearwater area is Louisville and I believe that took me every bit of 15 hours!
I think I would forego the side trip for one beach day to the Clearwater area, you would be driving about 90 minutes further south just for that one day and just enjoy your trip going home. but that is just my thoughts.

We spent a week in Chattanooga a couple years ago. What a wonderful city!! We loved the aquarium. LOVED it!!! We ended up spending a full day there. If you're going in the summer, be sure to spend time in the outdoor water feature right outside the aquarium.

We liked Ruby Falls, but thought it was a bit touristy and corny. I personally don't like being in such a confined space. But, it sure was beautiful and the kids LOVED it! This was a quick visit - maybe 2 hours?

Rock City is FUN!!! Parts are corny. But, the view from the top is incredible. The swinging bridge FREAKED me out!! But, wow. What a view. I think we spent 4 - 5 hours here.

Lookout Mountain. I forget exactly what we did here. But, at the top, I remember a museum and another lookout. My kids liked the canons from the Civil War and all the history behind it. We spent a few hours exploring the mountain.

And, because my kids are history buffs, we also took htem to Chickamooga Battlefield. That was a fairly quick stop too. Maybe 2 hours?

The zoo is cute. It's very small, but the animals are active and it's cheap.

We skipped the incline because of the price.

Oh - go see the Chattanooga ChooChoo just to say you did. It's cute. But, really just a quick stop.

We stayed with my sister in Chattanooga. So, I don't know where to tell you to stay.

Have fun. We absolutely love Chattanooga!!

My favorites in Clearwater are the funky little mom and pop motels a block off the beach. They also have chain motels there, though.

I live in Tampa. My favorite hotel is in St.Pete Beach. I think i've stayed their at least 7 times. It's the "Grand Plaza". You can get ocean front for about $ 140.00 a night. I love love this place. Check their web site. Good Luck.

Thank you for the responses so far!

I think this is what we're going to do,
- Friday, we leave Disney, head over to Tampa/Clearwater area, spend the whole day there and spend the nite somewhere at the beach (thank you to the poster who mentioned the Grand Plaza I will check that out!)
- Saturday, drive like heck and get to Chattanooga that evening, have dinner, good nite's rest at the hotel
- Sunday, spend the day looking around and doing the touristy stuff, dinner and get some rest
- Monday, start heading home by mid to late morning and get back home in the evening

We just HAVE to do the beach. It's something we've never gotten to do, and if we have a beach day during our Disney trip it really compresses our number of park days.

I think spending 2 nites in Chattanooga will be a little less stressful than trying to do 1 there and 1 somewhere else in TN.

We'll see how it goes! We may never want to do this again (drive vs. fly) but we have to at least give this a try. :)

I'll take a look at everything you've all suggested! THanks again!

You are not crazy to do this at all! We usually fly b/c it is easier but every few years I sneak in a drive down for the adventure. One year we drove to WDW and spent a week. The drive home was over the course of 7'ish days with no real plans. As we left Disney we decided to go to Clearwater to watch the sunset and eat at a local place. Spent the night there then started heading north. We stopped at a place for lunch while still in Florida. As we were sitting there talking we read a missile was going to be launched the next morning from Cape Canaveral so we changed course and headed Southeast again! We stayed at a really nice Hampton Inn in Cocoa Beach. Spent the evening scoping out the lay of the land for the morning. Guess what? At 4:30am the launch was cancelled due to weather. Oh well - we headed north again with no real plans. Ended up in Myrtle Beach for 2 nights. Our next adventure took us to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens for 2 nights. After that we headed home for a day of rest before work!

We had a great time! Although we won't have much travel time this year, we are thinking about driving again this summer. It is nice to have DD (21) and DS (18) trapped in the car with us for so long - great bonding! Have fun with whatever you end up doing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter