Questions for those who sell on Amazon?

Jenn

DIS Veteran
Couple of questions for the experts:

1. Everyone seems to recommend shipping by "media mail". What exactly does that mean as far as packaging, cost, etc?

2. How often do you receive your proceeds from Amazon? Do they send you a check, deposit into your account, etc?

3. Also, people seem to recommend getting the delivery confirmation which costs 50 cents or so - sound right?

I am going to give this a whirl once I have it figured out.

I think Media is just something you can ask for at the post office (maybe what used to be called book rate?)

I have one item listed. no bites :(

I have sold quite a few cookbooks on Amazon over the past 6 months or so. It is VERY easy. Media mail is the cheapest book rate at the post office. I think I usually pay about $1.50 or so for a medium size book. I usually package my books wrapped in tissue and then in a box or shipping bag that I already have. I save my shoe boxes (my DD just turned 3 so we buy shoes often). They deposit your earnings monthly into your checking account and notify you by email that they are doing so. I've never had any problems. Just be sure to list the exact condition and explain anything that the buyer might need to know. I often buy inexpensive $.50 books at yard sales and then sell them for $5 or more.

I sell used books. (Got inspired by this board!) Since textbooks often cost $35-$60, I ask the post office to confirm delivery. This costs only 50 cents. I don't bother with it when I'm sending a cheap book and I've never run into a dishonest customer who took the book and then claimed that it hadn't been delivered. But on an expensive package it seems well worth it to me. (The bright green label the P.O. puts on the box notifies the receiver that delivery has been recorded).

I have sold all of my college books as well as a bunch of video games that DH and DS don't play anymore on Amazon. Since Sept we have made over $750. I ship books Media Mail and video games regular first class mail because they are light and it is actually cheaper.
Amazon takes a commision off of your selling price and then credits you with anywhere from $1.75-$2.23 per item for shipping.
I have never gotten the delivery confirmation and have had no problems. People seem pretty honest so far.
I just got through selling a bunch of Bear in the Blue House videos that DS no longer watches. I got between $6.50 and $9.00 each. That is much better than what I would have gotten selling them in a garage sale.
I am very happy with AMAZON.

PS- I forgot to add that Amazon direct deposits my earnings into our checking account every two weeks. If you want the money earlier, you just go into your account and request it.

I don't sell on Amazon but have been doing a fair amount on ebay. You can print free Delivery Confirmation for Priority Mail at this link..

http://www.usps.com/cgi-bin/api/shipping_label.htm

and if you go to the USPS web page and sign up for their shipper's assistant, you can print discounted Delivery Confirmation for Parcel Post and Media Mail. Right now the discounted rate is $.12 per package, I've heard it will be going to $.13 after June 30 but don't quote me on that. You just enter the address information, tell it you want Media Mail, print the label and tape it to the package. All you have to do is pay the postage and/or insurance and the $.12 at the PO. It is real easy.

Bring the bottom of the page to the PO and have them date stamp it. This also provides instructions to them for the discounted rate. This first time at my PO was strange because they hadn't seen it before, but now I just fly through the line with my packages.

Any questions just fire away.
Good luck on your sales

Exactly what tammyh-oregon said! The Shippers Assistant is great to have. You can also price the different rates (with a zip code) and track (5 at a time) the delivery confirmation with the program! I sell a lot on Ebay and this is a time saver that's free! Good luck with your selling!!
:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter