Questions for Hong Kong experts

teach22180

DIS Veteran
I have read the more recent threads but I have 2 questions that I would like to post here. I am looking at 24 hours in Hong Kong before we get on a cruise and thinking about possibly staying near Disneyland. I was curious about transportation and saw a mention of a shuttle to the parks. Does that mean that they are not walking distance?
My other question is about the Hong Kong money. I read that you need cash for the taxis, and I wondered if buying food or souvenirs within the park required cash too. I will plan to get some cash in the airport before I get into a taxi, but I'm trying to figure out how much I will need.
Thank you for your help. I'm a Disney expert who is taking my adult former foster daughter to see Vietnam, and I'm overwhelmed. I figure doing a little Disney might help my comfort level!

From Hong Kong Disneyland station, you can walk to the park entrance. The Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel is about a 15 minute walk and the other 2 Disney hotels a little further than that. It's best to take the shuttle which drops off at the bus area near Hong Kong Disneyland station, especially if staying at Explorer's Lodge and the Hollywood Hotel.

You can use credit cards inside the park. But the food trucks right outside the park which are basically the only food option after park closing may be cash only. If the only cash you're spending is to get from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise port, 600 HKD should be enough but you may want to get 1000 HKD or so in case you happen to need a little extra.

I've stayed at all 3 hotels (for several nights at a time on multiple occasions) and have maybe taken a shuttle bus once or twice. But I enjoy walking and will avoid buses whenever possible, even when it's been raining or I have luggage.

On one of my previous trips a number of years ago now, I tried to get the prawn and chips from the little cafe in Grizzly Gulch and was required to pay cash for that. I didn't have any cash, so I just went somewhere else. It may have also been cash at ice-cream carts and maybe lockers? Other than that, it's quite achievable to manage without any cash. That was quite a few years ago too (my most recent trip was early 2019), so it's highly possible they now accept credit cards at even more locations.

I've stayed at all 3 hotels (for several nights at a time on multiple occasions) and have maybe taken a shuttle bus once or twice. But I enjoy walking and will avoid buses whenever possible, even when it's been raining or I have luggage.

On one of my previous trips a number of years ago now, I tried to get the prawn and chips from the little cafe in Grizzly Gulch and was required to pay cash for that. I didn't have any cash, so I just went somewhere else. It may have also been cash at ice-cream carts and maybe lockers? Other than that, it's quite achievable to manage without any cash. That was quite a few years ago too (my most recent trip was early 2019), so it's highly possible they now accept credit cards at even more locations.

In 2021, the government started giving out consumption vouchers to residents which could be redeemed via Octopus and payment apps so a lot of places added terminals that also accept credit cards. Lucky Nugget Saloon in Grizzly Gulch and the permanent food stands have credit card terminals but I'm not completely sure about some of the smaller snack and souvenir carts that are put out during special events and days of high park attendance.

You may be right about lockers since I've never used them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter