questions about meeting nonface characters

KyGirl

Mouseketeer
We leave Friday for our week long trip and our family is very excited, particularly our DD (four and a half). Our last trip was right before she turned three. At that time, she totally accepted everything without question. Now, she is a questioner, big time. She wants to know all the details, about everything, all the time. (We spent hours discussing the logistics of Santa on Christmas eve.)

Last night, she started questioning why the fur characters don't talk while the face ones do and I couldn't come up with a good answer for her! I think she still believes so I don't want to give her a wink wink sort of answer. I want to enjoy this magic as long as it lasts. I just want to explain this in a way that would answer her question without blowing Mickey's cover.

Has anybody got a good answer that worked for their little ones?!? Thanks!

I would just say well when we get to Disney let's ask way some can not talk the people with the Mickey or whom every it is should be able to come up with something

Yup, pass the buck LOL.

I don't know, my kids never believed they were real so I never had to come up with an answer. I agree with the pp, I'm sure the characters themselves get questioned alot and have all the right answers :)

She can meet the talking Mickey in MK, that might help. Or, confuse her if none of the other Mickey's she meets talk to her. My DD who is turning 5 in March asked the other day if some of the characters were people wearing costumes. I just told her they were whatever she believed they were. Got me by..... for now.

I don't know, my kids never believed they were real so I never had to come up with an answer.

Same.

But I also didn't want to be all clinical about it, so I often asked what HE thought. For a year he decided that he believed it all. Which was a 180 from the years prior. Even believed in Santa that year LOL. Then he was done with it. Once he noticed Mickey's zipper it was all over BUT he still enjoyed meeting the characters for quite a long time. It's more "magical" IMO when someone knows darned well what the real deal is but still is caught up in the fun of it all and has a cool moment. (experienced once of those myself, and I am NOT a fan of characters and would like all of them to just go away, on a Royal Caribbean ship at the Dreamworks breakfast, when Po insisted I get in a photo, and his silliness caused me to smile one of the biggest and most real and relaxed smiles of my life...and it was caught on film)

I never believed the characters were real as a kid and the magic was still there for me. Even as an eighteen year old, it hasn't gone away, it' just different than what it was when I was younger. I wouldn't be blatantly honest since she's so young, but don't necessarily answer the question. Let her find her own answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter