Questions about Downtown Disney

CarolinaGirlTiss

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone, I have some questions about DTD and I can't find an answer for them. Forgive me if these questions have already been posted somewhere else. We have never been to DTD but would like to make a visit there this year on our trip. Does it require a ticket of some sort? How much time should we put aside to visit there? I was thinking an evening there and dinner somewhere. We are staying offsite but I think our hotel is near it. Will we be able to drive there? Do we pay for parking? As you can tell I have no clue what DTD is about. One final questions, any places in DTD that are a Must See/Visit? Thanks for the help everyone. I have gotten so much great advice from the Dis!

dtd is a outside mall , most of the stores face inward so your walking kind of on a path thru them if that makes sense. you dont pay to park and dont pay to get in. it has allot of disney retail stores, speciality boutiques, restaurants, a great candy shoppe called goofys candy co, a lego store, etc..rainforest cafe is down there so is trex cafe.. google them to see their websites. they are pretty cool places to eat..you could spend a few hours there. that is our first stop when we get there. we drop off our luggage and then head to dtd..maybe look on the photos part of the top of the page. it think theres pics there..:thumbsup2

There are several entrances to the parking lots. Go to the one that says Marketplace. That is the entrance where you will find World of Disney. It is the world's largest Disney store. There are lots of stores. Allow yourself at least 2 or 3 hours to see everything.

yes, just pay no attention to the empty buildings on Pleasure Island...nothing to see here folks, move along.

I LOVED DTD..... we went every single during our last trip in November! So much to see, do & eat! LOL

Definitely spend at least one night there!

yes, just pay no attention to the empty buildings on Pleasure Island...nothing to see here folks, move along.

Is it really all empty now? That's so sad. :sad1:

I was really looking forward to taking my DD to the Adventurers Club. Somewhere around here I still have my canteen from years ago...

Oh - and I do have a question - how long does it take to walk from one side to the other? Think a nice stroll rather than a direct walk.

for information on down town you can try Disney's web sit and just a warning about the parking lots they fill up fast and early by the market place , it might be easer to park down by cirque du soleil or planet Hollywood and walk up to market place

Oh - and I do have a question - how long does it take to walk from one side to the other? Think a nice stroll rather than a direct walk.
I found it takes about 10 minutes or a bit more, although I think the numbers depend on how fast each person decides to walk.

Is it really all empty now? That's so sad. :sad1:

I was really looking forward to taking my DD to the Adventurers Club. Somewhere around here I still have my canteen from years ago...

yes, the building formerly known as Comedy warehouse, the fully operable but unused soundstage club, Club motion, and AC, and the empty buildings formerly known as Mannequins and 8-trax.

and don't forget the giant 16k square foot building that is now filled with the princess exhibit(gag) or the soon to be emptied starabillas store(check the map..see it on there?...A sign of things to come)
Some bold new vision mr lansberry

There is no charge to park or visit DTD. All of the Disney owned stores and restaurants are in Marketplace. All of the non-Disney stores are in West Side. They are separated, but walkable, by the now closed Pleasure Island.

If you visit only half the stores at DTD, 2 hours from end to end.

There are 2 very nice stores at the end of Marketplace. One is "Disney's Days of Christmas", full of every Disney Christmas deoration you could imagine, and "The Art of Disney", which will make you want to re-decorate your house.

There are a ton of good eats, from McDonald's to Rainforest Cafe. Then there is T-Rex Cafe, which has had mixed reviews.

All of the Disney owned stores and restaurants are in Marketplace. All of the non-Disney stores are in West Side.
Actually there is still one Disney owned store in West Side and it's called Mickey's Groove. Even though it's not as big as the World of Disney if there was something they did not sell there, then Mickey's Groove might have it for sale.

Just an FYI, there is a boat that will take you from one end of DTD to the other. I think it stops in the middle someplace too. So if you park at one end and find yourself at the other with tired feet, take the boat back.:thumbsup2

Go and see the La Nouba Cirque du Soleil show at the west end - in the large cake like theatre ;)

V

...and Earl of Sandwhich *is* very good!

Don't forget to eat at Earl of Sandwich!!

The absolute BEST I live in Florida (after 30 years of planning) & work in Orlando, I stop in DTD at least once a week on the way home from work to pick up dinner. The menu is extensive, the bread pudding to die for and my favorite sandwich the Hawaiian BBQ YUM..2 people approx $20.00

We LOVE Downtown Disney! It is a much more relaxed pace than the theme parks, yet can be every bit as fun. I'd have different tips if I knew the age of your children, if you have any.

For adults there are a lot of neat interesting shops, though most are too expensive to really get something really nice. But even the World of disney is amazing, though filled with typical disney items. Lots of neat places to eat - lots of neat photo opportunities. It's absolutely beautiful at night with thousands of little twinkling lights as you walk along the water and duck into some shops.

For teens, there's the typical World of Disney store, but my daughter likes the store that sells beach and sunwear with famous brands for teens and young adults. She also likes the to play at the toy store with the hundreds of pieces for Mr. and Mrs. Potatoe head. And of course, she loves to eat. Of all age groups I'd say it is most boring for teens, though it holds their attention for two hours at most. She really misses the Virgin store! She could stay hours in their listening to music!

For younger children (3-12) there is a ton of fun stuff. There is lego land - where there are huge displays made entirely of legos, there is the toy store with pieces for mr. and mrs. potatoe head (a GREAT deal as a suvenir - just buy the actual Mr. and Mrs. potatoe head ahead of time at a discount store). You can buy a box and all the pieces you can fit into it for reasonable price. It's fun picking out pieces and seeing how many you can fit into a box. The world of disney is an attraction in and of itself - HOWEVER, you will be bombarded with "I want this, and this, and this," It's overwhelming even for an adult. To be honest, at times I have felt almost disgusted at all the spoiled and whiney children I see there, and think about all the money that is spent on junky stuff. I prefer one nice souvenir, like a pair of earrings, or a charm bracelet.

For older girls (10-15), the charm braceletes, where you can purchase individual charms at various resorts, stores, etc. and add them to the bracelet is a great nice keepsake!

Of course, there is the Fairy Godmothers who can make your daughter over into a princess at the world of disney, though it can be pricey. We have found if you go and ask, they will let you purchase a crown and just do a little make up and/or sprinkle pixie dust over your little princess for fairly inexpensive if they are not busy. ALSO, one time I did it as an adult - it was fun, but pricey.

Anyway, we really like Downtown Disney for a great relaxing, alternative to a park! It's the great way to spend a nice quiet even romantic evening. Don't miss the Christmas store, and the Art of Disney store!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter