• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions about Direct vs Resale Purchase at Either BW or BC

Yeah I guess I was remembering those who don't have them all titled the exact same way. That makes it a bit easier, still not sure I would want the hassle though!

Even not titled the same way gives you one log in.

My June and Dec UY contracts are just DH and I. My Aug UY contracts are the two of us and our three adult kids.

The log in shows any and all membership in which one is an owner. However, you can still only book with one membership at a time.

Am I right in that BW is a little easier to snag at 7 months over BC? If I am, it seems like BC is then smarter to have as a home resort to have that 11 month advantage. Resale prices seem to be more or less comparable between the two resorts.

Also, I'm curious about quiet pools at both resorts. Our sons are college age, and so we all are more about chilling at a quiet pool. We have no need for loud music, shenanigans, etc at the pool. Are quiet pools nice at both places and are they easy to get to from villas?
That Guide Book I mentioned has much more detailed charts on accessibility for every week, I'd look there for more info. I think the BC pool is more geared to kids (and photo ops lol). BW pool is easy access. For the best pools/hot tubs, I like Animal Kingdom - which you could split stay.

Even not titled the same way gives you one log in.

My June and Dec UY contracts are just DH and I. My Aug UY contracts are the two of us and our three adult kids.

The log in shows any and all membership in which one is an owner. However, you can still only book with one membership at a time.
Wow, even with different owners they show on one login? That I wouldn't have expected!

Beach Club has the more desirable pool for younger kids. It is being renovated in early 2025 so over the next few months you might see people book away from Beach Club and availability would be slightly better than usual.

Beach club points cost more resale than boardwalk points. Do you like Beach club 20% more than boardwalk, go for beach club. If the preference is more marginal, the cheaper boardwalk points make more sense. Beach club dues are slightly lower.

Wow, even with different owners they show on one login? That I wouldn't have expected!

Yes, because the log in is specific to a person, not the membership. That is why every owner has their own DVC log in and password.

I'm a little different when it comes to the idea of 2 UYs. We have a Feb and a Jun. It covers the whole year and we like that. We also like split stays so the two UYs work in our favor. That being said I would NOT go to a third UY. 2 is just right.

Also...if your heart is set on BC make low ball offers...it works...trust me

We are still weighing the pros and cons of BC vs BW...

I think we're actually leaning a little more towards BC as they have dedicated 2 bedrooms and they are virtually impossible to book at the 7 month mark.

I’m a tad late to this thread but figured I’d throw in my 2 cents…. We thankfully own BCV but have stayed at BWV many times. Every single studio/1 bedroom we ever stayed in at BWV had some issues with plumbing (faucets, toilets, shower/tub - sometimes significant), the thermostat, or something in the kitchen. I don’t follow any BWV threads anymore because at this point my husband absolutely refuses to stay at BWV, but hopefully some of these issues will improve with the current refurbishment.

Other random thoughts…we’ll be 60 when our BCV points expire, but it’s currently the only WDW home resort we’d consider adding more contracts to because it’s our very favorite to stay at (we also own CCV and BLT). The walk to Epcot can’t be beat! And we stay at BCV for many race weekends and have found it to overall be the most convenient. Yes, you should definitely own there for race weekend use! Oh, and we’ve had three different UYs for years, and it’s really not a big deal at all.

The quiet pool at BCV is VERY easy to get to from the villa building, and the parking lot is also nicely located by the villas! I’ll always be team BCV 😎

Someone mentioned that with two contracts having different use years that you can have up to two waitlists per contract, can someone confirm this? I was unaware and it would be a boon to me!

Someone mentioned that with two contracts having different use years that you can have up to two waitlists per contract, can someone confirm this? I was unaware and it would be a boon to me!
I think it's 2 waitlists per use year regardless of the number of contracts (if you have 2 contracts in Feb and 1 in Sep you would get 4 waitlists, 2 in each year)

Yes, two WaitLists and OneTimeUse Points access per Membership ID. But sometimes the challenges can outweigh the WaitList benefit. Disney discourages that in part, I believe, because they see people getting overwhelmed and making mistakes (big - missing banking deadlines) and small (not using all points due to planning complexity etc) with them.

For example, if you Transfer Points to your 2nd Membership ID / UseYear then Those points may be invisible on your Dashboard and you'll need to keep track of them yourself. Points transferred to another Member ID also lose the right to be Banked or Transferred again later, vs points Within your Membership can be easily combined for trips (still subject to applicable priority booking timeframes) - and simply returning to their status if you cancel a trip before the 30 day Holding penalty period. It is more common to Book, Cancel, Rebook (dates and resorts) than most new DVC people expect.

Again, if you are a detail oriented, happy planner, multiples work. If you want a comparatively relaxed booking approach just have one. DVC booking is already complex compared to traditional trip planning...

Everyone, thank you so much for your info and for answering so many questions!! I'm so grateful! Let me know what else I might not be considering!

And @LilyJC, thank you for the specific intel on BC. This was exactly what I was looking to find out. DH and I have decided BC is the resort we want. Now, to find the right resale contract!

Hi Disfriends!

DH and I purchased direct at GF in the spring of 2022; we purchased two contracts with a February use year. We are thrilled with our purchases and love GF. However, like many DVC folks, we are now suffering from "addonitis". :P

We love being able to walk from GF directly to the MK and we love being on the monorail for quick and easy access to the other monorail resorts. We have used our GF points to stay at GF as well as at CC, AKL, Riv, and OKW, and we realize that with any purchase in the future, we want to be able to walk to parks as much as possible. So, we have narrowed our search for our next DVC purchase to either BW or BC, as we love the idea of being able to walk to both EP and HS.

We loved how easy it was to purchase GF direct from Disney; our guide was great, closing was quick, and our points were easily and quickly accessible. However, in looking at a purchase at either BW or BC, it's much less expensive to purchase a resale contract, and we recognize that a contract at either of these places is going to expire much sooner than our GF contract. So resale, kind of makes more sense.

We have been looking at resale contracts, and I'm wondering what folks who have purchased a resale contract after purchasing direct have experienced. Here are my questions:

1. Is DVC member services still able to help us with questions and bookings using the points from a purchased resale contract? I consult DVC member services for all kinds of things right now.
2. Would I be able to still see my resale contract and manage points on the DVC website?
3. How long does it take to access points purchased once an offer has been accepted? I know that a purchase has to go through ROFR, and I've looked at charts on the Disboards that indicate it can take weeks and sometimes months for folks to have access to their points. I'm wondering if this is still the case? And, why is this?
4. Does paying cash instead of financing help speed up the access-to-points process?
5. We have visited both BC and BW and taken DVC tours at both places, but we have not stayed at either resort. (I've stayed a few nights at YC, tho.) Any advice or things to consider regarding BW and BC? Both are equi distant to EP and HS, relatively speaking. We like that BW requires a few less points for bookings, but we like the fact that BC has dedicated 2 bedrooms. The pool seems better at BC, but the crowds at that pool make BW's main pool seem calmer. I think we'd be happy with either resort, but I'm curious about other things we might not be thinking of?
6. What are things we need to consider with a different use year? We have a February use year with our direct GF contracts, and I recognize that purchasing a resale contract might give us a different use year with that contract. I'm not sure if this is good or not good? Pros and cons?

Any advice anyone has about these questions or general info about a resale purchase after purchasing direct from Disney would be so very helpful. In advance, thanks so much!
You mentioned you were able to use your GF points to stay at RIV. I thought RIV was a closed DVC resort to RIV owners only. How did you accomplish this?

You mentioned you were able to use your GF points to stay at RIV. I thought RIV was a closed DVC resort to RIV owners only. How did you accomplish this?

Only resale points bought at RIV are restricted to be used at RIV

All direct points purchased are eligible to trade into all resorts. Resale points purchased pre 2019 are also eligible for use at RIV and newer resorts.

Only resale points bought at RIV are restricted to be used at RIV

All direct points purchased are eligible to trade into all resorts. Resale points purchased pre 2019 are also eligible for use at RIV and newer resorts.
Sandi...You are the Disboard Tink! Thanks for the reply. So, if I purchase 280 points at Riv directly from Disney, I can use those points at ALL Dis DVC resorts. Does this hold true if I purchase Disneyland Hotel Villa points directly, as well? If I purchase Disneyland Hotel points directly, can I use those at RIV? We're in California, and Disneyland is our preferred park, but every now and then, it would be nice to visit Florida.

Sandi...You are the Disboard Tink! Thanks for the reply. So, if I purchase 280 points at Riv directly from Disney, I can use those points at ALL Dis DVC resorts. Does this hold true if I purchase Disneyland Hotel Villa points directly, as well? If I purchase Disneyland Hotel points directly, can I use those at RIV? We're in California, and Disneyland is our preferred park, but every now and then, it would be nice to visit Florida.
What are points running now if I purchase directly from Disney? Riviera, Disneyland Hotel.

Any points bought directly from Disney (literally any resort) can be used at ALL DVC resorts at the 7 month mark. The resort you buy into is where you'll have an 11 month home resort booking window and in turn get first dibs on which room you stay at.

To make this simple when you buy resale, any resort built before 2019 can book any other resort built before that time. This is everything that was built from Old Key West to Copper Creek. You are NOT allowed to book Riviera, Villas at Disneyland Hotel or the Cabins at Fort Wilderness and presumably any other new resort that is not already attached to an existing condo association.

IF you buy resale at Riviera (2019), Villas at Disneyland Hotel (2023) or the Cabins at Fort Wilderness (2024), you can ONLY book your home resort. Riviera resale can only book Riviera. Villas at Disneyland Hotel can only book the Villas at Disneyland Hotel.

If you buy directly from Disney (again, does not matter what resort), you can book any property and likely any future properties they develop.

Last edited:
Hi @DisneyDictator, OP here. Like @Sandisw and @intamin said, I purchased my GF points directly from Disney, so I was able to use my points to book at Riv. I've booked other places too. The only "catch" is that you have to wait until 7 months to book when you're not booking at your home resort. If you book at your home resort with direct purchase points, you can book at 11 months out.

That 7 month booking mark can sometimes make getting hard-to-get places really challenging. I have never booked Disneyland Hotel DVC with my GF points, so I can't report out on the ease of booking at 7 months, but I'd expect it's pretty tough to get what you want at the 7 month mark. I also have no idea how much points purchased directly from Disney are. If you have a DVC guide, that's definitely a question they can answer. Best of luck to you! :flower1:

Thanks all for the ins and outs! Although buying directly costs a lot more, access to the newer resorts is advantageous. We've stayed at both Bay Lake Towers and the Grand Californian, and both are extremely nice. In looking at the Disneyland Hotel vs. the Grand Californian, you can buy direct at the Disneyland Hotel for less than resale at the Grand Californian. I wonder if we could still use the grounds at the Grand Californian while owning at the Disneyland Hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter