• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions about Costuming CP and SHOW Attractions

MelissaMouse

Getting Disney fever...
Hey all, I just have some questions on a few CP roles..I hope you can help! Any info you have is welcomed my moi :)

Costuming- The first time I did the program this was my original role, but something happened and it filled up since I came a couple months later on the Quarter Adv. CP and she had to switch me 2 weeks before my program started. How many costuming CP's are there? Do you know any? I just haven't seen much on here and only know there is wardrobe and entertainment. What do the roles consist of? Where do CP's normally end up, wardrobe or entertainment? I would prefer entertainment since I will have a degree in tech. theatre, but will take anything. I guess I can't be too picky , right?

Attractions- My second choice would be attractions....BUT I would love love love to work a SHOW attraction, such as Indiana or LMA (LOVE). I have a feeling having a degree won't help me much, but can/should I express that I am experienced with theatrical shows and would love to work a show attraction? LMA actually has people backstage to call cues for the cars...Which is what I actually do anyways(with actors) and I LOVE IT!!!

I just really really DON'T want to sound cocky, I guess I just need to figure out how to explain that I now have a degree unlike before and want to make theatrical production at Disney my career. I also don't and can't be picky about which roles I take, if everything works out and I do make it my career, I can work my way up.

And finally--when applying for a CP, do they LOOK for experience? Do they in PI? I noticed some people on FB accepted a PI and they didn't even know what it was. :confused3

I'm just trying to get as much info as possible, this time around :)

Thank you for getting this far!!:cutie:

Costuming- The first time I did the program this was my original role, but something happened and it filled up since I came a couple months later on the Quarter Adv. CP and she had to switch me 2 weeks before my program started. How many costuming CP's are there? Do you know any? I just haven't seen much on here and only know there is wardrobe and entertainment. What do the roles consist of? Where do CP's normally end up, wardrobe or entertainment? I would prefer entertainment since I will have a degree in tech. theatre, but will take anything. I guess I can't be too picky , right?

I know tons of Costuming CPs... let me know if you have more questions after I answer these:

There are a couple hundred Costuming CPs. Couple hundred sounds like a lot, but in comparison to attractions/merch/F&B it's really not too many.

You are correct, there are 2 main areas: Entertainment (for most CPs it's the character room, but some many also get trained at a show/parade) & Operations.

Depending on where you're trained, you will do different things. Nearly all CPs are trained in at least 2 locations (more if it's a longer program). The first location is assigned based on need. But during your first week you will have a meeting with a Manager, this is your opportunity to express interest in a second location (if it wasn't already assigned). Some roles have additional requirements (valid drivers license), and they'll make sure you meet those if needed.

Ops: hanging speadrail and working the check out counter
Ent: presetting costumes, laundry, and monitoring check out
Shows/Parade: helping performers dress prior to performance/change during show and laundry

I know tons of Costuming CPs... let me know if you have more questions after I answer these:

There are a couple hundred Costuming CPs. Couple hundred sounds like a lot, but in comparison to attractions/merch/F&B it's really not too many.

You are correct, there are 2 main areas: Entertainment (for most CPs it's the character room, but some many also get trained at a show/parade) & Operations.

Depending on where you're trained, you will do different things. Nearly all CPs are trained in at least 2 locations (more if it's a longer program). The first location is assigned based on need. But during your first week you will have a meeting with a Manager, this is your opportunity to express interest in a second location (if it wasn't already assigned). Some roles have additional requirements (valid drivers license), and they'll make sure you meet those if needed.

Ops: hanging speadrail and working the check out counter
Ent: presetting costumes, laundry, and monitoring check out
Shows/Parade: helping performers dress prior to performance/change during show and laundry
Thank you that was so much information!! Do the people you know in this role enjoy it? How many do the parades?

I worked in attractions, and if you got on a show for your attraction you wouldn't be doing the backstage stuff. For LMA you would be the cast member at the entrance welcoming people in and the ones walking in the stands. For all shows, the behind the scenes cast members are part of entertainment. Hope this helps!

I worked in attractions, and if you got on a show for your attraction you wouldn't be doing the backstage stuff. For LMA you would be the cast member at the entrance welcoming people in and the ones walking in the stands. For all shows, the behind the scenes cast members are part of entertainment. Hope this helps!

Do you mean entertainment as in the CP role, or equity? I know there are roles for technicians for those type of shows, I'm just not sure if it would be a PI or FT position.

Thank you that was so much information!! Do the people you know in this role enjoy it? How many do the parades?

Some people love it, and stick around following their program to stay on with the company. Others hate it and just feel like it's a laundry job.

Participation in the parades varies based on the park. At DAK, nearly all Character Room CPs are trained in the parade. I'm not sure about DHS or MK though.

Do you mean entertainment as in the CP role, or equity? I know there are roles for technicians for those type of shows, I'm just not sure if it would be a PI or FT position.

The only CP roles that would put you backstage at a show are Costuming and Character Performer.

I'm not really familiar with the PI Technician role, all the Techs I know are FT. The Techs at Epic start on the easier roles (such as A/B Ops) and with time learn the harder tracks such as Tractor/Booth roles.

Some people love it, and stick around following their program to stay on with the company. Others hate it and just feel like it's a laundry job.

Participation in the parades varies based on the park. At DAK, nearly all Character Room CPs are trained in the parade. I'm not sure about DHS or MK though.

The only CP roles that would put you backstage at a show are Costuming and Character Performer.

I'm not really familiar with the PI Technician role, all the Techs I know are FT. The Techs at Epic start on the easier roles (such as A/B Ops) and with time learn the harder tracks such as Tractor/Booth roles.

Thanks! The bolded is what I wanted to know! Anything that will get me closer to the techs :)

My DD did the CP Spring 2010 in Costuming. She had no experience or prior jobs, but her major is Fashion Design and Merchandising so that probably helped. She requested Entertainment and was hoping for DHS, and that is what she got. If you have a degree in tech. theatre I would bet you have a good chance of getting Entertainment.

She was trained first for Parade (at that time Block Party Bash), and then later on for Fantasmic! and the show in front of the hat (at that time High School Musical). She also works the laundry track and sometimes Character Room. Berlioz already summed up what each one does. It is hard work physically (those costumes are heavy!) and can be stressful if you're dressing CMs for parade/shows.

She still works there Seasonally since she's attending college in Orlando, and as much as I hate to admit it, she doesn't really like it. She loved it during her CP, but as time has gone on, she's become disillusioned with the company and doesn't plan to remain after graduation. :sad1:

As a CP in a theater/show attraction, you won't really be working with any of the performers and/or techs. Your role will be to help guests safely enter and exit the theater. You'll help with stroller parking, "packing the house", and picking up after the show.

As a CP in a theater/show attraction, you won't really be working with any of the performers and/or techs. Your role will be to help guests safely enter and exit the theater. You'll help with stroller parking, "packing the house", and picking up after the show.

Thank you! I was wondering what they do exactly. It will help me when it comes time to pick roles and what order I want them to be in :) Thanks again!!

Although...Working the Laugh Floor would be a dream of mine :love::cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter