question re the WDW boards (yes on the DL board)

awdsmama

DIS Veteran
I tried to go over to the WDW boards but omg there are so many I don't know where to go or where to start.

Which of their boards would be the basic planning for 1st timers type of board?

As someone planning a first trip to WDW for next summer, I find it overwhelming too. I have made a habit of just browsing the different forums and reading what is there on all of them to learn what I can. For general info, the Theme Parks board seems the best. When I'm wondering about restaurants I go to that board, and for where to stay, I go to the Resort board. Those are the main three I check. Also, I peek in a the Tips board now and then.

I was also a little overwhelmed by that side of the boards. I read a lot of the stickies. Another website that I found really useful and more manageable was easywdw. There is a ton of great info on that site.

The WDW Disboards section is great for planning, like you said, its all kind of overwhelming so I only could take in a bit at a time (it was a good thing I started planning over a year in advance!!).

There are a couple of other sites that I utilized for our first trip to WDW that were also super helpful.

Easy WDW was a great one for me. It really helped with planning which parks on which days, as well as being great for crowd predictions. There are also good write ups/reviews with lots of pictures. I found the pictures to really help me since I had never been there before.

Touring Plans was also helpful, and I also purchased the Unofficial Guide to WDW and really liked their touring plan suggestions in the back of the book. Wound up using those as a general plan and then added in things as we went.

Also if you havent already seen it Hydroguy wrote up a great thread on An Introduction To WDW For DLR Vets: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636

I wish I would have found it when I was planning my first trip!!

(1)Theme Parks Attractions & Strategies for basic planning

(2)Resorts board for where to stay onsite

(3)Restaurant boards for where to eat. This has sub-boards about making reservations and the dining plan.

I'd start with when to go (1) and where you want to stay (2).

I have to admit feeling the exact opposite. I'm a WDW girl and planning a trip back to the land in Oct. Coming from the world boards where everything is sorted out by topic and coming over here with everything all in one place and huge superthreads is overwhelming to me. I guess it depends on what you're used to.

(3)Restaurant boards for where to eat. This has sub-boards about making reservations and the dining plan.

:thumbsup2 That's just what I was going to post. The WDW boards are easier in a way, since all the hotel stuff is in one place, the dining is in another, and the park strategy info on a third.

As someone who goes to both DL and WDW, I will say that the when is important and that the "where" (as in where are you going to stay) is very important. WDW is very large (nothing like DL) and your park schedule and dining choices will be influenced by the resort you choose. Also, dining reservations start at 180 days before your trip starts, and places really do fill up right away.

I hope this helps! WDW can seem overwhelming at first, but it's a great plcae to vacation! Good luck! :goodvibes

For our upcoming 1st-time WDW trip I found these WDW boards useful:

Remember that unlike DLR, you will not be able to do/see everthing at WDW no matter how long you stay. Look for key words to help you out. For example, If you are wanting to stay at a moderate resort, look for those threads with that wording. Don't forget the transportation board can help you with things like bus schedules and the monorails. Try using the search function. Finally, don't be afraid to ask. I do not visit DLR too often, but I know the vets on this forum are happy to help. It is true that the only dumb question is the one you do not ask! Happy planning!

As someone planning a first trip to WDW for next summer, I find it overwhelming too. I have made a habit of just browsing the different forums and reading what is there on all of them to learn what I can. For general info, the Theme Parks board seems the best. When I'm wondering about restaurants I go to that board, and for where to stay, I go to the Resort board. Those are the main three I check. Also, I peek in a the Tips board now and then.

The boards that were mentioned are the best ones to plan your first trip with. I am a WDW vet and only really go to the Theme Parks and Restaurant boards (make sure you read the different dining reviews too). And since we are DVC members I tend to go over to those boards as well. Sometimes I will find myself reading trip reports or go to the Rumors board, but those aren't as often. Happy planning :goodvibes.

The boards that were mentioned are the best ones to plan your first trip with. I am a WDW vet and only really go to the Theme Parks and Restaurant boards (make sure you read the different dining reviews too). And since we are DVC members I tend to go over to those boards as well. Sometimes I will find myself reading trip reports or go to the Rumors board, but those aren't as often. Happy planning :goodvibes.

Somewhere I found some food trip reports and that was helpful to see pics of food. So hard to pick restaurants when I don't know what's good.

Remember that unlike DLR, you will not be able to do/see everthing at WDW no matter how long you stay.

Thank you for that. I think that is part of my "hang up" with WDW. We are on the west coast and it's spendy to travel now (I remember tickets to Orlando for $300 but I don't see that these days) so I have a hard time knowing we can't do it all.

:thumbsup2

Thank you for that. I think that is part of my "hang up" with WDW. We are on the west coast and it's spendy to travel now (I remember tickets to Orlando for $300 but I don't see that these days) so I have a hard time knowing we can't do it all.

No, but with a good plan you can do 80% in five days ! The first big decision is which side of extra magic hours you want. We are night owls and love nighttime in the parks, so I build my schedule around evening EMH. So then I know where I want to book my dining reservations. I personally believe that either a monorail resort or a boardwalk area resort are worth the cost, even if you have to shorten your trip.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I found the specific trip dates/ countdown threads super helpful for our first trip. Being on the same timeline meant the more experienced posters were watching for key dates, changes, special offers, etc. that I would never have known about. And they made great referrals to other threads for more specific hotel, dining, park info as well.

I have to admit feeling the exact opposite. I'm a WDW girl and planning a trip back to the land in Oct. Coming from the world boards where everything is sorted out by topic and coming over here with everything all in one place and huge superthreads is overwhelming to me. I guess it depends on what you're used to.

This. :thumbsup2 I always feel so dumb asking questions that I'm sure have been answered 100+ times, but don't know where to look.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter