Question re: Queues and sun

Gypsybear

It's all about the Villains
So, we're planning our trip (final stages), and we came across some UV Umbrellas. Has anyone used these in the parks? Were they actually useful, or did you find that you were just lugging the thing around for nothing?

I'm thinking in terms of queues like: MnMRR; Slinky Dog, etc.

Thank you in advance!!

So, we're planning our trip (final stages), and we came across some UV Umbrellas. Has anyone used these in the parks? Were they actually useful, or did you find that you were just lugging the thing around for nothing?

Thank you in advance!!
I've seen people using them, even while walking around. Some of them are not aware of their surroundings and I've witnessed a few close calls where an umbrella spoke came dangerously close to someone's eye.

As long as you're careful when using them, it's no different than lugging a small umbrella with you in case of rain.

I have one and use it all the time. I have systematic lupus and can't be exposed to the sun so I kind of don't have a choice, but I find them easy to use. I'm always looking for other people to make sure I don't actually hit anyone with my umbrella. They were a lifesaver on our trip in May because a lot of the ques were in the direct sun for a long time.

I've been using one for a couple years now and it is so helpful in the hot direct sun and a bonus with sudden rain when I can't get into a poncho fast enough ;)

With the many distanced queues in the sun earlier this year, the topic came up often. If you do a search or possibly look back at threads from spring/summer this year you will find a lot of helpful information about this topic.

As long as you aren't one of the folks hitting others with the umbrella. You have to have coordination and and be aware of your 360 surroundings. Careless people with umbrellas can be dangerous and annoying. A sun hat would be better.

Used one this week and it was a lifesaver. The sun intensity was insane and it made a huge difference in those outside queues and even walking around….BUT it was lit crowded this week and it would have been hard using it on walkways if it was. Still useful in queues though (and for Florida pop up showers!) I’ll be taking it every trip from now on.

I'm always careful when using an umbrella.....I learned the hard way, after I was hit in the face by someone using one.

Thank you everyone for the feedback, it definitely sealed the deal for me. I've ordered 2 of them for our upcoming trip.

With the many distanced queues in the sun earlier this year, the topic came up often. If you do a search or possibly look back at threads from spring/summer this year you will find a lot of helpful information about this topic.

Thank you, didn't realize this had already been discussed. I'll take a look.

We used one in July. It was useful to keep the sun off us. Did nothing for relief from the heat. So if you want one for sun protection, go for it. But it won’t give you a cooler, shaded spot if that is what you are hoping for.

Thank you in advance!!
My DW used a UV Umbrella in June during our trip several times. She did not use it as much as she thought she would FWIW. But, overall, she liked her UV Umbrella and was happy to have it (even if it was just in case).

We found that we did not need them. But we went last week when it was super slow. Slinky Dog queue started in the shade. Runaway Railway did start outside but not for very long and the queue had umbrellas in it.

Thank you in advance!!

We went to WDW for a week in early June. We brought 2 of those UV umbrellas with us on the trip and used them every day. It felt up to 10 degrees cooler when you stood under the umbrella. The first couple of days, my DH ribbed the kids & I over using an umbrella when it wasn't raining outside but then by day #3, he was asking to use a UV umbrella because he was so hot and miserable standing in the blazing sun. When you combine a UV umbrella with a strong fan, it made the weather way more tolerable.

It was absolutely worth lugging them around every day. And, by the way, they worked great in the actual rain, too.

Were they actually useful, or did you find that you were just lugging the thing around for nothing?

We always bring a small backpack with our water bottles and sunscreen to re-apply anyway so we're already "lugging around stuff", but I would say worth it. Bonus - blocking your own sun gives you a lot of options of places to stand/sit comfortably while others are looking for shade to enjoy those dole whips and such. Double Bonus - since everyone seems to be telling you to be careful with it - maybe people will give you a few inches of personal space in the queue if they think they are going to get poked with it!

Thank you in advance!!
I used it and found it very helpful. I didn't walk around with it open, but I used in outdoor lines, as well as if I was sitting and waiting for some reason and couldn't find shade.

We used one in July. It was useful to keep the sun off us. Did nothing for relief from the heat. So if you want one for sun protection, go for it. But it won’t give you a cooler, shaded spot if that is what you are hoping for.
The one I had definitely felt cooler - not as cool as under a full tree or solid building, but noticeably cooler than in the direct sun. It was one of those thicker ones where the outside is silver and reflective - a normal rain umbrella did not have the same effect.

Double Bonus - since everyone seems to be telling you to be careful with it - maybe people will give you a few inches of personal space in the queue if they think they are going to get poked with it!

If only! I used one occasionally this summer, and even when I was stationary off to the side of walkways, I still had people walk right into my umbrella (or almost walk right into it) several times. I couldn’t believe it. I wasn’t trying to walk with it since it was too crowded for that, but apparently it was also too crowded to stand off to the side in an attempt to be out of the way as well.

I think back in the days of reduced capacity and 6 foot distancing in queues UV umbrellas were probably awesome, because you had lots of personal space, but with any amount of crowds, I found it just too hard to use one without poking someone in the eye, even if trying really hard not to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter