• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about use of DVC 25th park ticket deal

Just to confirm, this DVC ticket deal must also be used within 14 days of first use, right? They no longer have the non-expiration... So if I add the Water Parks and More, that also must be used within 14 days?
All entitlements will expire 14 days from date of first use.

I really miss the DVC PAP deal ... that encouraged us to actually do multiple trips in one year, esp summer to go to the WP a lot!

Write them and tell them this...

It's pretty simple economics: price goes down, demand goes up, consumption goes up, profit goes up.

I am exactly the way you are: if they kept the tickets reasonable, I go more and spend far more than they stand to make by gouging tickets.

It seems like something is going on here...like Enron accounting with a zeroed in focus on ticket revenue.

No matter how much Disney raises ticket prices, attendance goes up. And, at least to me, bizarrely and counter intuitively, even though people are paying more for admittance, they spend more IN the parks! So why shouldn't Disney charge more for tickets?

Actually, for some folks, it is more like $36. We get park hoppers already and this benefit would not only add a day ($10) but also the water parks and more ($26). For a family of 4, this is a $144 savings on passes. That's not exactly a "slap in the face".

But is that comparing to what that same ticket would cost if you bought thru a broker like Undercover Tourist? I only checked one or two prices if you were buying the water parks but it still was working out to just a $10 savings. It's only a savings if you were going to purchase it anyway.

It's pretty simple economics: price goes down, demand goes up, consumption goes up, profit goes up.
That's not necessarily how economics works. Multiple trips means less profit per trip. You squeeze out higher margins and profits by getting more "once-in-a-lifetime" visitors. DVC members are the folks who keep the lights on, so to speak, but we're predictable income; we don't drive revenue or profits higher.

That's not necessarily how economics works. Multiple trips means less profit per trip. You squeeze out higher margins and profits by getting more "once-in-a-lifetime" visitors. DVC members are the folks who keep the lights on, so to speak, but we're predictable income; we don't drive revenue or profits higher.

Hmmm...certainly I see your point from a textbook standpoint.

But if you believe "once in a lifetime" is a way to go...and DVC dump, defect, or begin to explore other options...then you risk that they no longer will "keep the lights on"

It's a dangerous tightrope to walk.

Perhaps there is a "diminishing return" in frequency for DVC...but that is only a catalyst to increase prices if their rooms are being occupied with higher spending occupants.

My hunch is that's becoming a problem.

"last minute magic". I laugh everytime I think about it.

But brokers charge less than Disney every day. Are we going to start complaining that Disney isn't competitive with their own third-party brokers?

:confused3 Why shouldn't one compare the deal to what one can otherwise pay for a ticket very easily without jumping thru any hoops? If nothing else, people can see how much of a difference it is to buy thru a disney approved broker. Sorry, but I cannot justify comparing to Disney full price tickets when I don't buy that way - ever. And the brokers don't discount out of the goodness of their hearts. They are paying even less to Disney.

But is that comparing to what that same ticket would cost if you bought thru a broker like Undercover Tourist? I only checked one or two prices if you were buying the water parks but it still was working out to just a $10 savings. It's only a savings if you were going to purchase it anyway.

I'm trying to figure this out too. Went to the member site and priced out 5 adult ticket and 1 child. With tax it comes to $2336.64.

UT logged in through Mousesavers.com comes to $2438.70. This does not sound right. I must be doing something wrong.

Anyone else trying to do the math?

It appears this special ticket price would only save me money if I paid 100% with giftcards with Target 5% off. Looks like a potential $20 savings plus having the option of going to the water park. 6 day Park Hopper from Undercover tourist vs. this deal.

EDIT: Forgot mousesavers link discount.....

:confused3 Why shouldn't one compare the deal to what one can otherwise pay for a ticket very easily without jumping thru any hoops? If nothing else, people can see how much of a difference it is to buy thru a disney approved broker. Sorry, but I cannot justify comparing to Disney full price tickets when I don't buy that way - ever. And the brokers don't discount out of the goodness of their hearts. They are paying even less to Disney.
If Best Buy puts a television on sale, but their price is still higher than Amazon, do you complain that Best Buy didn't discount it enough? You're either going to buy from one or the other. If you need to buy from a brick-and-mortar store, then the sale is a great deal for you, even if it's still higher than the more involved option.

I'm trying to figure this out too. Went to the member site and priced out 5 adult ticket and 1 child. With tax it comes to $2336.64.

UT logged in through Mousesavers.com comes to $2438.70. This does not sound right. I must be doing something wrong.

Anyone else trying to do the math?

I was looking at the price for a 10 day ticket hopper with WP and did not compare lengths when looking at having the WP. I believe it was a $10.71 savings/ticket. And I went thru the mousesavers link but did not compare to just going to UCTs site without that.

If Best Buy puts a television on sale, but their price is still higher than Amazon, do you complain that Best Buy didn't discount it enough? You're either going to buy from one or the other. If you need to buy from a brick-and-mortar store, then the sale is a great deal for you, even if it's still higher than the more involved option.

That's not a similar comparison.

Just because someone says that they are giving you a deal or make you expect that it's a deal doesn't make it so.

Many of the member magic offerings seem wonderful but in reality most members will not use them. I often wonder if they are offered so that the guides can include them during their sales pitch, just like you can use points for ABD but how many actually do this, not many is my guess.

:earsboy: Bill

Just because someone says that they are giving you a deal or make you expect that it's a deal doesn't make it so.

Many of the member magic offerings seem wonderful but in reality most members will not use them. I often wonder if they are offered so that the guides can include them during their sales pitch, just like you can use points for ABD but how many actually do this, not many is my guess.

:earsboy: Bill

...and, of course, last night, my DD10 says, "Mom, can we PLEEEEEEASE go to one of the water parks this time?":headache:

I feel your kiddo's pain. Haha. Though at the same time I get it...It's better to be in the other parks. Blah.

Anybody think there is a remote possibility that I could "upgrade" the 7-day park hoppers that I just bought to these special tickets? I'm not looking for a refund, but it would be nice if I could get the water park addition without paying more. That way, if the weather is looking good for our October trip, maybe we could surprise the kids with a day at a water park. Unfortunately, DH and the kids have the MYW tickets and I have a Gold AP so I would still have to pay for a single-day water park admission for me, which is why I don't want to tell the kids in advance. If the weather is too cool, I am not going.

Anybody think there is a remote possibility that I could "upgrade" the 7-day park hoppers that I just bought to these special tickets? I'm not looking for a refund, but it would be nice if I could get the water park addition without paying more. That way, if the weather is looking good for our October trip, maybe we could surprise the kids with a day at a water park. Unfortunately, DH and the kids have the MYW tickets and I have a Gold AP so I would still have to pay for a single-day water park admission for me, which is why I don't want to tell the kids in advance. If the weather is too cool, I am not going.

I am going down soon and plan to ask the very same question about tickets I bought in November. I will let you know what I find out. :)

My daughter crunched the numbers and the disney deal has a small savings, but I told her only if she planned to go to a water park. Remind me folks....she wanted an AP but had already booked her trip before the new rules with black out dates. So she can buy a multi day ticket for her March trip and before she uses her last day she can use that ticket and upgrade to the gold AP knowing the start day was the first day she used her ticket. Do I have this right?

My daughter crunched the numbers and the disney deal has a small savings, but I told her only if she planned to go to a water park. Remind me folks....she wanted an AP but had already booked her trip before the new rules with black out dates. So she can buy a multi day ticket for her March trip and before she uses her last day she can use that ticket and upgrade to the gold AP knowing the start day was the first day she used her ticket. Do I have this right?

I don't know whether the DVC special tickets will be eligible for upgrade, you would need to check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter