Question about Mission:Space

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
I've been on M:S dozens of times. I have no trouble with the spinning, forces, dark, etc. My daughter and I ride it at least once every trip and sometimes more than once. But I had an experience on it last week that had never happened before and it made me wonder how Disney handles these things.

We loaded the capsule, the doors closed, the panel came down... and then nothing happened. The ride didn't start. After a couple of minutes, a message played that there was a delay and that was it for a pretty long time. For the first time, I actually started getting a little freaked out. Our restraints were in place, the doors were closed, and there was no way out. I've never had anything resembling a panic attack but I did at that moment.

What happens in that situation if a guest gets on and freaks out and realizes they can't do it? How do you notify anyone? Do you just scream or what?

The ride eventually started and I was better but it really screwed me up. I'm honestly not quite sure if I will ride it again unless I know there is some easy way to signal the crew if that were to happen again.

There are cameras EVERYWHERE.
If someone started freaking out they would be seen and most likely heard.
In that situation I ASSUME a CM would come get them out.
I also ASSUME that if there was going to be more than a few minutes delay everyone would be evacuated.

I've been stuck at the end of RNRC several times for upward of 5 minutes once.
If it would have been an issue they could not fix they would have come and manually opened the restraints and gotten us out.

All attractions have evac plans.

I didn't time it but I definitely thought it was well beyond the point at which they should have reopened the doors.

Time can be very deceiving in these types of situations.
Once I had a teacher that sat silently for 60 seconds. (he set a timer). We were all looking at him like what is going on?!?!?!?!
It felt like 5 minutes passed.
When the timer went off he explained that it had only been 60 seconds and then started his lesson which was about how time can be perceived differently in different situations.

Time can be very deceiving in these types of situations.
Absolutely. It just seemed very odd especially to not have any kind of announcement or contact with CMs for that period of time. If an OmniMover ride stops for a couple of seconds, you get the recording to "remain seated. your ride vehicles will resume moving momentarily". Here, there was nothing. No announcement at all. I think that made it worse.

I don't have an issue with heights and small spaces but I have a huge issue if you combine them with lack of way to get to safety. It's partially while I don't like steel coasters, theres just no way to get yourself to safety if they stop. a wooden coaster there is structure you can get onto and climb if it meant life or death.

On that ride, something wrong and nobody saying we'll be moving momentarily would just flip me out. is something so wrong they can't make an announcement? is the thing about to go out of control and really broken.

I remember justin who I thikn worked that ride was talking about don't ride if your claustrophobic and how many times he had to make a judgement call when closing the door if they were second guessing riding or in a real state of panic. Nobody is using those cameras to actually look for a guest in distress. my daughter had issues on more than 1 ride and I even unlocked the restraint trying to force a ride stop once(stitch) and nothing. Have a selfie stick and bam, then they care about you.

On that ride, something wrong and nobody saying we'll be moving momentarily would just flip me out. is something so wrong they can't make an announcement? is the thing about to go out of control and really broken.
I knew intellectually that we were perfectly safe. I mean we were standing still. The ride hadn't started yet. But the fact that we had no way out and no way to communicate really freaked me out.

. But the fact that we had no way out and no way to communicate really freaked me out.

The thing is that is how most Disney rides are.
Most are not like Dumbo where the ride operator can see you every 10 seconds when you come around.
You just kinda have to trust that if something is not right they will fix it/help you.
Thinking about it now it does kinda freak me out but I do trust them.

This is actually my biggest fear with Mission: Space. I love the ride, but I don't think I could tolerate being in that tight closed area for more than the ride's duration. Actually, when we get in, I'm always anxiously awaiting the ride to start moving - you know how there's that brief 2 minutes or so before it starts - feels like forever. Once moving, I get over it. But yeah, the whole sitting there waiting would definitely freak me out because you can't move much.

For some reason, as I get older, my cloustrophobia slightly increased - in my teens I wouldn't have been bothered but now i'm in my 30's and I get anxious. Same goes for RNRC - waiting in the car/stuck in the garage/tunnel area - It's the restraints that bother me - I mean, obviously they are needed but still.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter