Question about making toffee

scbelleatheart

DIS Veteran
How do you prepare your pan? I already made one batch in a silicone mini brownie pan (another Pinterest fail) and it is way too thick to bite through. I going to go back to the cookie sheet but I cannot remember how I prepared the pan so it doesn't stick. Grease it with butter, spray with cooking spray, Non=stick Reynold's Wrap, wax paper or parchment paper?
The first batch isn't a total loss because I'm going to break it up into small pieces for cookies. The toffee is great though!

How do you prepare your pan? I already made one batch in a silicone mini brownie pan (another Pinterest fail) and it is way too thick to bite through. I going to go back to the cookie sheet but I cannot remember how I prepared the pan so it doesn't stick. Grease it with butter, spray with cooking spray, Non=stick Reynold's Wrap, wax paper or parchment paper?
The first batch isn't a total loss because I'm going to break it up into small pieces for cookies. The toffee is great though!

My sister and I made toffee on Saturday. First timers! We took the butter wrapper and greased the pan with that.

Parchment paper - spray lightly with cooking spray and wipe off cooking spray so it is just a super thin layer. This is what I did and it worked great!

I would imagine a good quality baking mat, such as Silpat [Name brand] would work very well too for baking directly on.

I always use tin foil on the bottom of my cookie sheet, lift it out when it's done, and peel it off the bottom of the toffee as I'm breaking it apart into pieces.

I went back to the non-stick aluminum foil. Turned out great! Didn't think of using a sil-pat. I guess I was afraid the toffee would leak under it. Thanks! Now I have about a pound of toffee to break up to use in cookies (unless DH finishes it all)!:lmao:

I tried to make toffee. Stirred and stirred. Went past the time they said and it never turned almond brown. So I spread it out and it was still white. Got a little hard but not hard enough. ny advise?

I tried to make toffee. Stirred and stirred. Went past the time they said and it never turned almond brown. So I spread it out and it was still white. Got a little hard but not hard enough. ny advise?

Sounds like the sugar didn't get hot enough. Making candy doesn't depend so much on time as temperature. I think for toffee, you want it to the "hard crack" stage, which means when you drop a bit in ice water, it hardens immediately to the right consistency.

foil & parchment paper work well for me. I prefer the foil since I can wrap it around the edges out of the way. I've used the heavy duty foil with no problems - never tried the non-stick foil when making toffee

Did you use a candy thermometer? Did you measure out the sugar & water accurately? I like to use a food scale.

I make toffee every year at Christmas. I never put anything on my pan. I use a large jelly roll pan from Williams Sonoma. I pour it into the pan and tip the pan to spread it thinly. Then I add my chocolate, wait a few minutes and spread and then dust with chopped pecans. I then set the pan in the refrigerator for at least an hour before taking it out and breaking it into pieces.

foil & parchment paper work well for me. I prefer the foil since I can wrap it around the edges out of the way. I've used the heavy duty foil with no problems - never tried the non-stick foil when making toffee

Did you use a candy thermometer? Did you measure out the sugar & water accurately? I like to use a food scale.

Of course it said I didn't need a candy thermometer. It was supposed to be an "easy" version. I did measure it accurately. It was mainly butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Maybe it wasn't hot enough. This was my first attempt. Prob my last :/

I having been making toffee for years and have never uses a candy thermometer. My recipe is as follows: 3sticks of butter, 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 3 TBSP of water. You melt the butter over medium/high heat. Add sugar and stir until combined, then add the water. Continue to stir over med./high heat until mixture is Caramel colored and you start to see smoke coming from pot. ( This takes between 20-30 minutes of continuous stirring!). Remove from heat, stir in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, stir well and pour onto large jell roll pan. Using pot holders pick up the pan and tilt back and forth to evenly coat pan. Place broken Hershey bar pieces onto hot toffee, let sit for a minute, use spatula to smooth out, sprinkle on chopped pecans. Place pan in refrigerator for at least an hour. Take out pan, break toffee I to bite sized pieces. Store in refrigerator.
Be careful, once you start making this people will request it each year

Of course it said I didn't need a candy thermometer. It was supposed to be an "easy" version. I did measure it accurately. It was mainly butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Maybe it wasn't hot enough. This was my first attempt. Prob my last :/

You can totally make it without a candy thermometer... I just find it easier and I get more consistent results. When I first started making toffee years ago, I had a hard time judging when it was done by the color. I've also found a thermometer helpful since we often make it when visiting family....so it helps with the differences in stove tops and cookware. Maybe I'm not a good toffee maker or something, but it sure does taste good ;)

Wait a minute, like man, if you see smoke coming from the pan, I would say that is not a good thing. I call that burning=smoke=fire=stinky bad toffee. :faint:

I think I will stick with my "outrageous cookie bars" that everyone devours and you don't have to mix anything. Just later and bake. Anybody had these before? I'm mad I just discovered these!

Just finished batch number of four of my toffee and yes as you stir and the butter sugar and water turn Caramel color you,will start to see smoke (steam) rising from the mixture. That is when you remove it from the heat and add the vanilla. So sorry, smoke does not equal burnt or fire.

I having been making toffee for years and have never uses a candy thermometer. My recipe is as follows: 3sticks of butter, 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 3 TBSP of water. You melt the butter over medium/high heat. Add sugar and stir until combined, then add the water. Continue to stir over med./high heat until mixture is Caramel colored and you start to see smoke coming from pot. ( This takes between 20-30 minutes of continuous stirring!). Remove from heat, stir in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, stir well and pour onto large jell roll pan. Using pot holders pick up the pan and tilt back and forth to evenly coat pan. Place broken Hershey bar pieces onto hot toffee, let sit for a minute, use spatula to smooth out, sprinkle on chopped pecans. Place pan in refrigerator for at least an hour. Take out pan, break toffee I to bite sized pieces. Store in refrigerator. Be careful, once you start making this people will request it each yeardde09! Also I always use Land O Lakes butter (cheaper butters might work but sometimes separate) I also use a large saucepan and a gas stove.
thanks for the recipe! Do you butter the pan or use foil? Sounds eat especially since I don't have to use a candy thermometer , those intimidate me lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter