• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quality Sunglasses to protect eyes?

These are the newest ones my DH bought:

http://www.mauijim.com/longboard-479.html

Click on lens: In every pair of Maui Jims you’ll find our patented, color-infused lens technology that wipes out 99.9% of glare, 100% of harmful UV and boosts color via specially designed lens treatments. So your view is clearer, with crisper contrast and amazing brilliance.

As you can see, Maui Jim's offer full UV protection ALONG with great glare reduction.

You can sometimes get lucky and find some closeout deals on Oakley's and other name brand glasses at www.6pm.com . You can also look on www.slickdeals.net and do a search for sunglasses and you might be pleasantly surprised on what you find for other great deals/clearance items. I was able to pick up a pair of Oakley Fives for DS - they were what they call "asian fit" which in this case worked perfectly for the size of a pre-teen/teenager. Picked them up for 60% off list price - I think I may have even gotten Bing cash back too (that was a great program).

I have a pair of Serengeti Small Aviator. But I also ordered a backup pair of polarized sunglasses from Zennioptical.com for $50 with full UV protection. They both work perfect for me.

I don't know if this is a concern with your daughter or not, but if her vision is bad or has astigmatism, the wrap arounds will not work.

I love my Oakleys, they're prescription and as close as possible to a wrap around as my prescription would allow (I've got like a 1.25 astigmatism). My ex had a pair of Oakley XX (full wrap around), not only did they not guarantee the prescription, she had to pay extra to get Oakley lenses in the wrap around frame. Which was based upon her prescription being bad, but no astigmatism. And bye bye down Typhoon's wave pool filter they went. Her next pair were not full wrap arounds, they were square wire 2.0 since she got a slight astigmatism in her one eye.

Check insurance policies too. Some frames that they make for sunglasses are also available for regular lenses. So if the insurance doesn't cover the "sunglass frame" they'll cover the frames for regular prescription. My insurance paid for most the frames, half of the coatings (like UV, scratch resistance, and other ones you'd find on clear lenses), but only a percentage of the other coatings (like polarized, tint, color). It was still a couple hundred out of pocket, and the lenses were made by DOC, not by Oakley. The insurance would not cover lenses made by them.

I don't know if this is a concern with your daughter or not, but if her vision is bad or has astigmatism, the wrap arounds will not work.

I love my Oakleys, they're prescription and as close as possible to a wrap around as my prescription would allow (I've got like a 1.25 astigmatism). My ex had a pair of Oakley XX (full wrap around), not only did they not guarantee the prescription, she had to pay extra to get Oakley lenses in the wrap around frame. Which was based upon her prescription being bad, but no astigmatism. And bye bye down Typhoon's wave pool filter they went. Her next pair were not full wrap arounds, they were square wire 2.0 since she got a slight astigmatism in her one eye.

Check insurance policies too. Some frames that they make for sunglasses are also available for regular lenses. So if the insurance doesn't cover the "sunglass frame" they'll cover the frames for regular prescription. My insurance paid for most the frames, half of the coatings (like UV, scratch resistance, and other ones you'd find on clear lenses), but only a percentage of the other coatings (like polarized, tint, color). It was still a couple hundred out of pocket, and the lenses were made by DOC, not by Oakley. The insurance would not cover lenses made by them.

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread again.

Thanks for the information, Sandra. She actually does not wear any prescription lenses or have an astigmatism. Her problem is damage to the retina, so a prescription will not help her. We did a lot of searching and finally bought her two pairs of sunglasses (marked down 50%, woo hoo) so she has lighter UV-protected lenses for overcast days and a darker polarized and UV protected pair for bright summer days. Works out perfectly.

I appreciate all the advice I got here. Surprisingly, the store employees at four different places were NOT helpful at all. :confused3

Thanks again everyone and Hopefully all this information can help others as well. :cool1:

Two of my close friends have eye issues. One had a corneal transplant, the other has degenerative eye disease. Their eye doctor (they're married) told them that Maui Jim sunglasses are the way to go for the best protection.

I love my Oakleys. Plus they are made in USA. But with all the good reports on Maui Jim makes me want to switch lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter