Pulling kids out of school.

For those that have policies saying vacations are unexcused, what do you do when your kids return to school? Do you still write a note with an excused reason or just let it be?

Here's my scenario. We are leaving this weekend to wdw and our plan was to return home Tuesday night, so dd will miss only 2 days of school. So 2 weeks ago, DH accepted a position in Orlando and now our plan is after wdw, stay and look for a place to live which will most likely having us stay for the rest of the week. I went to the school office the other day and told them about our relocating situation and that dd will probably miss the whole week. They told me to let the teacher know so they can give her work so she won't be too far behind when we return. Did that and her teacher had no problem with giving work. Her teacher from last year said that if we have to pull our kids out for trips, she's totally cool with it because she understands that not everyone can or want to travel when school is out. She said to let her know ahead of time and when we return just bring in a sick note. I'm not sure about her teacher this year. Since she was only going to miss 2 days I was just going to write a sick note, but now, she'll most likely miss the whole week. I wonder if the attendance record will carry over to the new district or if her record will start from scratch.

Last edited:
I have always pulled out my kids. Last year I have 1 in middle & 1 in HS. This year we aren't doing it, but in the Spring are going for a short trip in April during the spring break b4 Easter.
Go for it!

We have always done it too. We pulled ours out all the way through high school and will be doing again this January. We have two college students, a junior in high school, a 5th grader, a 3rd grader, and one in kindergarten. The college kids obviously aren't missing school, but everyone else is missing 11 days of school. The teachers don't have a problem with it and since it hasn't impacted the oldest two at all(they are successfully enrolled in college and one is graduating this December), we will continue to do so.

When I was in School, there was a form that parents could print out and fill out to prove that the trip was considered educational. You would check off if your visiting a historical landmark, zoo, etc. You would also have to list out the daily activities. My grandparent's did it for Animal Kingdom and Epcot and we were able to get the 5 days excused. My teachers allowed me to write a trip summary in exchange of doing make up work. Granted I still had to catch up what was taught but they gave us that prior to the trip and I used the travel time to learn.

Granted it was over ten years ago and after that my Grandparents planned trips around school breaks.

Whatever works best for your children is what I will go with, I would ask the school though if they have an Educational Opportunity policy to excuse the absences.

For those that have policies saying vacations are unexcused, what do you do when your kids return to school? Do you still write a note with an excused reason or just let it be?

Here's my scenario. We are leaving this weekend to wdw and our plan was to return home Tuesday night, so dd will miss only 2 days of school. So 2 weeks ago, DH accepted a position in Orlando and now our plan is after wdw, stay and look for a place to live which will most likely having us stay for the rest of the week. I went to the school office the other day and told them about our relocating situation and that dd will probably miss the whole week. They told me to let the teacher know so they can give her work so she won't be too far behind when we return. Did that and her teacher had no problem with giving work. Her teacher from last year said that if we have to pull our kids out for trips, she's totally cool with it because she understands that not everyone can or want to travel when school is out. She said to let her know ahead of time and when we return just bring in a sick note. I'm not sure about her teacher this year. Since she was only going to miss 2 days I was just going to write a sick note, but now, she'll most likely miss the whole week. I wonder if the attendance record will carry over to the new district or if her record will start from scratch.

My kids will have unexcused absences this year for two separate trips, but I will still write a note for both of them. Before hand, I'll email the teacher (already did for the November trip) and remind her again the week before. Once they get back, I'll write a note for the office that is short and sweet: "My child was absent for a family commitment."
I'm not sure what you mean by a sick note. I certainly won't say the kids were sick if they weren't, but I'll still send a note just because it seems like the polite and useful thing to do

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter