PTR - 2015's USA Trip : The Disneyest Holiday Ever

losfp

Mouseketeer
Hello!

I'm using this forum to type up a barely coherent PTR so I can bounce around some ideas and give interested parties an insight into the chaos in my mind when planning these trips.

We're a family of 4 - me, wifey, and two tolerable daughters: Superseded Model (6) and Baby 2.0 (13 months).

Our last big family holiday was in 2012, when Superseded Model was 4 and Baby 2.0 was -8 months old. Yes, we found out that wifey was pregnant 2 days before we left. We had a fun almost-5-weeks driving through the US south-west. So good. We ended up with a week in Anaheim which kickstarted the Disney obsession. I knew I'd like it, but I didn't expect to LOVE IT so much that I was teary at my first Disneyland parade wondering why my parents never brought me as a kid. I remember walking from the Hojo to the main concourse on the first day we were in Anaheim to pick up the tickets and being so, so, inexplicably excited.

JFull_Photo%200162-M.jpg

Superseded Model at the Halloween party!

Full day-by-day blog here -> http://blog.thesystemisdown.com/?cat=15 if you have time to kill :)

Ever since then, I've been looking for an excuse to go back. I figured that in 2015, Baby 2.0 will be 2.5 and ready to do a bit 5-week trip! What could go wrong?

I had a lot of research to do and a lot of persuading to get wifey to agree to an East Coast trip. I think I may have sort of agreed to sit with the kids during the 20 hours of flights each way while she got a separate seat at least 10 rows away, preferably in business.

The whole thing got real when I looked into Disney cruises and put a deposit on a Western Caribbean cruise! Obviously a trip to WDW had to figure into the plan, plus a short visit to Universal, and a few other Orlando attractions. Just for the hell of it, I thought I'd try to sneak in a quick trip to LA on the way back so we can hit DLR as well.

This is what the trip looks like right now:

fly SYD-MCO (probably SYD-DFW-MCO)
10-12 nights WDW - Maybe 5-6 nights at Art of Animation (Superseded Model freaked out when she saw photos of that place and insisted that we stayed there). And 5-6 nights at either Wilderness Lodge or Bay Lake Tower
2 nights staying with my cousin in Orlando
3 nights Universal (don't know which resort.. Whichever is cheapest probably. I'm most interested in early entry to WWoHP, with 2 younger kids, we won't be going on many thrill rides anyway)
1 night Port Canaveral
7-night cruise on the Disney Fantasy (only thing booked so far!!)
5 nights WDW - WL or BLT, whichever one we didn't stay at before
Fly MCO-LAX
7 nights Anaheim - either Hojo or if I can manage it, VGC.
Fly LAX-SYD

I have a stack of "need to do" items for Orlando that I will find a way to incorporate into the days in Florida, like visits to the outlet malls, Wet and Wild, Sea World, Discovery Cove, etc etc etc.

This schedule is still very much in flux. I might decide that we'll go straight from the cruise ship to the airport and spend 12 nights in California, or maybe split up the WDW stay and stick Universal between AoA and BLT/WL.

Thanks for reading, I would love any suggestions or ideas relating to things like split stays, flights, or whatever :) I'll try to remember to come back in and update this post if/when things change

Latest Plans - 2 Mar 2015
====================

fly SYD-MCO (SYD-DFW-MCO)
2 Nights staying with my cousin in Orlando
11 Nights Walt Disney World
- 4n Art of Animation (BOOKED)
- 7n Grand Floridian Villas (BOOKED)
3 Nights Universal
- 3n Cabana Bay Beach Resort (BOOKED)
1 Night Port Canaveral
- KSC in the morning, then just a quick overnight stay at Residence Inn (BOOKED)
7 Nights Western Caribbean Cruise
- Disney Fantasy (BOOKED)
Fly MCO-LAX
8 Nights Disneyland
- Grand Californian (BOOKED)
Fly LAX-HNL
5 Nights Hawaii
- Aulani (BOOKED)
Fly HNL-SYD

Last edited:
Yay another PTR!

I have a 14 month old daughter :goodvibes I'm worried about the international flight, followed by the flight from West Coast to East coast. The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if she's no longer napping by our trip, however the change in time zones has me nervous too. I can just imagine her up all night (and me with her) and sleeping all day :crazy2:

Yeah that's the big question mark for us - how is Baby 2.0 going to go with the travel? We already know Superseded Model is a great traveller (we flew to Christchurch when she was 2.5, and she never left her seat once during the two flights (3.5 hrs each way), and she regularly drives down to Geelong with wifey without a complaint) but Baby 2.0 is a whole new thing.. It could be nightmarish, so we will just have to see! I am hoping that because she will be 2.5, we will be able to explain things to her and negotiate a bit easier than with a 1 year old.....

When are you going? Our DD will be 22 months on our trip and I keep having to remind myself that 7 months is a long time for her to change, so not to expect her to act how she acts now.

I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. :lmao:

Right now the plan is to fly out mid-Oct 2015 and fly back mid-Nov 2015. Baby 2.0 will be 28 months when we fly. Eek!

Your trip is similar to mine. My only thoughts would be not to break up the WDW stay, this is mainly because IMO if you are staying on Disney property it is really like being in a different world, the staff, the atmosphere its all so amazing. Once you are in it, you dont want to burst the bubble. I would have the universal stay either before or after.

Your trip is similar to mine. My only thoughts would be not to break up the WDW stay, this is mainly because IMO if you are staying on Disney property it is really like being in a different world, the staff, the atmosphere its all so amazing. Once you are in it, you dont want to burst the bubble. I would have the universal stay either before or after.

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a good point!!

Plus if I split it up i might have to get multiple wdw tickets or have to go to annual passes. I might still get one annual premier passport, to get discounts in hotels, dining and merchandise. I reckon it'd pay itself off pretty quickly with the amount of disney crap I love to buy!!!

Sounds great. You might even score free dining or a room discount,if they have it next year, the dates you will be there.

Congratulations on booking a cruise on the Fantasy! You'll love it! And good on your for being brave and travelling with the littlies while they are young. The younger they start travelling, the better they become at travelling! Unfortunately some do travel better than others but you can't change that anyway so why hold back! We went on our first "big" trip (ie further than Asia) when our youngest was 18months and went to WDW when he was 26 months old. He loved it.

Your trip sounds familiar to the one we just did in Dec/Jan last year. If there is anything that you would like to know, feel free to ask!

For me personally, I love to have my cruise last as I find that the most relaxing. WDW is fine but can be quite busy. There are pros and cons to splitting your WDW stay. The difference in cost between say a 10 day ticket and 14 is not that much. So if you want to stick a universal stay in the middle, its doable. You can do your shopping before or after so your park days are together. Sticking a universal stay in the middle makes you appreciate Disney that much more! We were so glad to return to our Disney "bubble"!

By the way, superceded model looks absolutely gorgeous!

Congratulations on booking a cruise on the Fantasy! You'll love it! And good on your for being brave and travelling with the littlies while they are young. The younger they start travelling, the better they become at travelling! Unfortunately some do travel better than others but you can't change that anyway so why hold back! We went on our first "big" trip (ie further than Asia) when our youngest was 18months and went to WDW when he was 26 months old. He loved it.

Your trip sounds familiar to the one we just did in Dec/Jan last year. If there is anything that you would like to know, feel free to ask!

For me personally, I love to have my cruise last as I find that the most relaxing. WDW is fine but can be quite busy. There are pros and cons to splitting your WDW stay. The difference in cost between say a 10 day ticket and 14 is not that much. So if you want to stick a universal stay in the middle, its doable. You can do your shopping before or after so your park days are together. Sticking a universal stay in the middle makes you appreciate Disney that much more! We were so glad to return to our Disney "bubble"!

By the way, superceded model looks absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks for your thoughts shushh! If you have any trip reports or anything from your last trip, I'll take a quick look and sling you a question or two if I want to know a bit more about something. As I said above, apart from the cruise, the rest of the dates are absolutely fluid and flexible. I want to fit a lot in, but I would also prefer to experience fewer things fully than to try and fit in more things. I think while we're in Orlando, we won't venture too far afield - probably not as far as Tampa or Miami, which still leaves a LOT of things to see and do.

It's a big step to travel with 2 young kids, but you're absolutely right, I want to get them used to travelling and teach them the appropriate behaviour when they're out in public. I don't see any point in putting our lives on hold and never doing anything just because it's "just too hard"... Yes, I might know some people in that category.

Superseded model has been to New Zealand and the USA. She drives down to Geelong with us once or twice a year. She has been on probably 3-4 domestic flights a year. She goes with us to the football or netball. She has always been taught the sort of behaviour that we expect out in public. We're lucky enough that apart from a diva moment or three, she is very compliant.

Baby 2.0 is her own person unfortunately, and she is turning out to be much more adventurous and outgoing than Superseded Model. Time will tell, but I am confident that with her big sis providing a good example and with us being firm with her while exposing her to travelling and general out-of-the-house activities that we will do just fine.

I clicked through into your blog and wow! You had a lot of people travelling!!! I've been trying to get some travel mates amongst my friends and family but I think it'll just be us :)

I do have some questions about your trip if you will indulge me...

- Looks like you did DVC for some of the properties. Did you rent privately or through a broker? I'm considering it for our trip.

- How did you decide which onsite properties to stay at WDW?

- Did you just do a "day trip" out to Universal? I'm considering staying onsite at Universal for a few days.

- Most of the flight options I've looked into have you arriving at MCO late at night. Did that happen to you, and what did you do hotel wise for that first night? Straight to WDW?

Many thanks for the ideas :)

Feel free to peruse my blog and ask away. The links are at the bottom within my signature.

I should clarify that last time we went we bought UK ultimate tickets from Orlando attractions. We read the TC very carefully. Although it says that the tickets can only be purchased from the UK, it doesn't say anywhere that you had to live in the UK or show proof of residency. Things may have changed since then though. We bought a 14 day ticket for the price of 7 (a deal they had on at the time) and saved stacks. The tickets were hoppers and included the waterparks as well as DisneyQuest and putt putt. We got confirmation numbers via email which we linked with no difficulties to MDE (can't remember what its called). Was able to make all our FP+ with no difficulties. Although the whole DME system was slow and painful...

When we checked in, we got our Magic bands and all was set up ready to go.

I believe that Magic Your Way only goes up to 10 days?!?

It sounds like your two little misses are ready to go already!

Losfp, your plans look very exciting.

The start of your trip looks quite similar to a trip my family did last Sep/Oct. We did 3 nights Universal (HRH), Disney Fantasy (Eastern), 11 nights WDW (AKV and BWV). I would love to have had a bit of extra time up my sleeve like you do.

If you plan on doing a lot of extra non-Disney and non-Universal activities in Orlando, I think I would group them together and stay offsite after the cruise. It is quite expensive to stay onsite at WDW, but not spend your days there.
Alternatively, I would scrap these off-site activities altogether and stop for 4 or 5 nights on the way home at Aulani. That way you'll make your holiday even more 'Disney' and you'll add a bit of extra down time to your trip. At present your only rest time in the whole trip is the cruise, and with 2 young ones, you might find yourself needing a holiday after a holiday.
I found staying onsite at Universal almost as special as staying onsite at WDW - both companies provide a fully immersive experience. However, the day we went offsite to do some outlet shopping was the least enjoyable of the whole trip. Even my DH, who likes shopping considerably more than I do, felt annoyed after just a few hours and wanted to return to our happy Disney bubble. It wasn't that anything went specifically wrong during our shopping trip, it's just that it's a lovely, safe, happy, feeling being immersed in those theme park bubbles and going offsite feels disappointing in comparison.
You'll understand once you get there. :)

My blog is mostly unfinished, so if you have any questions about the WDW part of my stay, I'm happy to answer. Love, love, LOVED the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to jump in with some responses to the below.....

I clicked through into your blog and wow! You had a lot of people travelling!!! I've been trying to get some travel mates amongst my friends and family but I think it'll just be us :)

- Looks like you did DVC for some of the properties. Did you rent privately or through a broker? I'm considering it for our trip.

I rented privately through a friend; whom I know and trust. Most Dis-sers here have rented through a broker. Unless you trust the private individual, the broker gives you that 3rd party.

If you're planning DVC, I pick the property where the theming appeals to me or is in a location that suits my plans.

- Did you just do a "day trip" out to Universal? I'm considering staying onsite at Universal for a few days.

I've done both. For me, a day trip to Universal/IoA is great and all that but nothing beats staying onsite for that immersive feel and also to enjoy the experience.

- Most of the flight options I've looked into have you arriving at MCO late at night. Did that happen to you, and what did you do hotel wise for that first night? Straight to WDW?

Most, if not all my flights into Florida, have had me arriving anywhere between 8 pm and midnight.
If it's MCO, we just head straight to WDW. We pick up our bags from the carousel and wheel them across to catch DME. At least when we arrive at the resort, we can grab the stuff we need from the bags and get ready for bed.

To be honest, the less travelling the easier! As it is, I often curse our third child...

We did DVC for all our WDW stay this recent trip. For our trip in 2010, we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside because of free dining. This time around being our second visit, our park strategy was different, and we wanted to experience different resorts. Also with our DVC friends being able to buy the Tables In wonderland card (20% off) and having the DVC discount for other dining places, we didn't need to rely on the free dining offer. There is no right or wrong answer, it just depends on your budget how you are planning to dine, where you are planning to dine, the experiences that you want, and the resort experience that you are after.

So after all that, I haven't really answered your question! :rotfl2: We rented through another DISboarder as well as one of our travelling families being DVC members.

We sat down as a group and went through the pros and cons of each, including special features of each resort, theming, location, price, dining options, configurations of the 2 bedroom villas, likelihood of availability (depending on who you rent through and where their home resort is, you can book at 7 or 11 months out), how the resort would fit in with our park strategy (as best as we could guess that far out!) etc. We then voted! Fortunately, we had relatively similar tastes and the results were nearly unanimous...

Yes we did. We desperately wanted to stay onsite at Universal but just didn't have the time. We were fortunate to know someone who worked at Universal and so we were free tickets for the day and had special privileges. It meant that we didn't need the perks that would come with staying onsite. Not having to line up for rides meant that we covered a lot in 1 day. I think staying onsite at Universal would be a good experience.

Yes, both times our flights arrived to MCO in the evening. I actually think its a good thing. We went straight to our resort at WDW, checked in and crashed. Both trips, the children were so tired from the long flights that they just slept through and woke up fresh the next day ready to hit the parks. I think it is easier to combat jetlag this way compared to say Europe, where many flights arrive early in the morning and you have to try and stay awake for as long as you can. I find that painful! But this is all personal, everyone has different preferences and combat jetlag their own way.

We actually let Disney pick up our luggage and got them to send it to our resort. The reason is that we were travelling with a horde of children. We had PJs and travel toiletries in our carryons. The luggage usually takes around 3 hours to get from the airport to your resort.

Many thanks for the ideas :)

I must have missed this as I was typing a response! I only just noticed it. PIO has started you off with some great responses. My thoughts and answers are above :thumbsup2

Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish :)

thought I would respond also :)

-I do have some questions about your trip if you will indulge me...

We rented in 2010. We did this privately. Though I checked it out a fair bit before hand. Had zero issues, which was a massive relief. We stayed at Grand Californian Villas

wow now this is no easy answer. many things came into consideration, location to parks, resort style, facilities, look & feel and of course none-the-least price. We originally chose Caribbean Beach Resort at first. We ended up changing to Wilderness Lodge. In the end we wanted a resort which we felt was a slice of luxury that was within our budget. We wanted the perks, we wanted to look and feel. From our research WL fit our requirements. It also reminded us alot of Grand Californian , which was our first experience at Disney in 2010 and a very special one. It was a great choice for us. we loved it and, while I know there are plenty of other resorts which are also great, for us this was the pick.

We were lucky enough to get Free Dining. For some the discounted room is better, we found the dinning good , didn't have to think about it. You can do the sums to see if it is worth it, but for us it was convenience. my gut feel is it would be cheaper without it, but like i said it was very convenient.

I would definitely stay on site. we stayed at RPH for 3 nights, with 2 days in the park. NOT enough time. WWWoHP is just great and the early access that the onsite hotel gives you is great. Staying onsite also gives your unlimited ExpressPass

We had stop over in LA so had a morning flight to MCO arriving about 3pm from memory

Hey guys, thank you so much for all your posts. Having helpful suggestions from people who have done similar trips is super useful, and much appreciated!

I was a bit casual previously in my attitude towards staying onsite at WDW and was considering chopping and changing to avoid boredom. But I get what you're all saying about staying in the Disney bubble, and I think I will likely do a long stretch of uninterrupted days in WDW - maybe 10-12 days, across 2-3 resorts. AoA will be one, because Superseded Model just loves the look of it. And undecided between BLT, AKL, WL for the other 1-2. We are not really that fussy with accomodation - most of our previous trips have been spent in "nice" 3-star properties, with the occasional nicer hotel here and there. Our philosophy has always been that if we're doing it right, we're really only going to be sleeping in the room.

I would LOVE to stay at lots of resorts, but I think 3 in 12 days is about the limit I'm willing to do. Would have just 2 semi-disrupted days changing resorts. I'll look into DVC rentals for sure, as I don't know anyone who rents or owns, I will go with a broker for peace of mind. Having to choose just two will be a struggle!!

If we are in WDW for 12 days, it still allows us to break up the busy days by having 1-2 park days, then maybe a DTD day, then another 1-2 park days, then a water park, then another 1-2 park days, then the other water park, maybe a couple of half days relaxing in the resorts etc etc.

I guess my main decision will be whether to do Universal before or after WDW, will certainly aim for 3 nights onsite.

Then maybe 3 nights post-cruise in a non-disney cheap hotel and do outlet shopping, Discovery Cove, visit family in Orlando etc etc. Then do an early morning flight across to LAX and settle into Anaheim for a bit over a week.

I think 2-3 resorts in 12 days is about the maximum I would consider as well. The swap day is not a hassle as Disney move your bags between resorts for you. You just need to plan to be in the parks between 10 and 4 since an early check-in at the next resort is not guaranteed.

I have used brokers 3 times to rent points and have been happy each time. It helps if you go with some flexibility as having your heart set on one particular resort may lead to disappointment. All I knew is that I didn't want OKW and SSR (I'm sure they're lovely resorts, they just didn't appeal to me a whole lot more than a moderate), but I was happy to take anywhere else. Even then, I had to wait a while for the points to become available. The issue was not availability at the resorts, but a lack of points holders prepared to part with their points. When I had a very specific request (Aulani) I had to wait nearly 3 months for points to become available.

I believe that AKV is one of the easiest to get because the resort is so big. This makes me happy, as it would be my top choice if and when I return. I would put in a request for Jambo house though as I thought it was much grander that Kidani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter