Princess Weekend 2024!

I think I'm going to hold off booking flights until after my upcoming trip (September)!

Want to see how much I like the flight itinerary I have this trip (not done this route/airline or premium economy before). Then I can hopefully decide whether I might want to take this route/airline again for Princess weekend or take a different route/airline altogether.

Also wondering how much weather is a consideration for flights in February... I have the options of connecting to flights into MCO from within the USA (Chicago, Houston, NYC, Seattle, LAX, SFO coming up as possible options) or from outside of the USA (London, Dubai, Frankfurt). Half wondering if it might be best to take the Dubai option as that's the least likely to be affected by winter weather in February...

I think I'm going to hold off booking flights until after my upcoming trip (September)!

Want to see how much I like the flight itinerary I have this trip (not done this route/airline or premium economy before). Then I can hopefully decide whether I might want to take this route/airline again for Princess weekend or take a different route/airline altogether.

Also wondering how much weather is a consideration for flights in February... I have the options of connecting to flights into MCO from within the USA (Chicago, Houston, NYC, Seattle, LAX, SFO coming up as possible options) or from outside of the USA (London, Dubai, Frankfurt). Half wondering if it might be best to take the Dubai option as that's the least likely to be affected by winter weather in February...
I would avoid Chicago (my home airport) almost anytime of the year. The international terminal has been under construction for a year or two and is still a mess. I have flown to the US many times from all three of your international options. London and Frankfurt have the most alternative options if your original flight is cancelled or delayed, but Dubai is just enough different to be interesting. I believe that @FFigawi is a frequent DXB-MCO flyer and can give you more insight.

I would avoid Chicago (my home airport) almost anytime of the year. The international terminal has been under construction for a year or two and is still a mess. I have flown to the US many times from all three of your international options. London and Frankfurt have the most alternative options if your original flight is cancelled or delayed, but Dubai is just enough different to be interesting. I believe that @FFigawi is a frequent DXB-MCO flyer and can give you more insight.
Oh dear, I'm actually flying through Chicago (MCO-ORD-HND-SIN) in September! I think the last time I went through Chicago was maybe 2013 or thereabouts and it wasn't too bad but that's 10 years ago now!

I've done London and Frankfurt before (for getting to or from MCO), but not Dubai! I knew Emirates had a DXB-MCO flight, but the transit times always used to be really bad in the past which is why I've not flown with them before to MCO. But I was looking up flights for February and they have a 2 hour transit time in Dubai both ways which seems perfect.

Just worried about flight delays/cancellations especially winter weather - usually I'm pretty laid back with these but not if I have to get to a runDisney event!

Oh dear, I'm actually flying through Chicago (MCO-ORD-HND-SIN) in September! I think the last time I went through Chicago was maybe 2013 or thereabouts and it wasn't too bad but that's 10 years ago now!

I've done London and Frankfurt before (for getting to or from MCO), but not Dubai! I knew Emirates had a DXB-MCO flight, but the transit times always used to be really bad in the past which is why I've not flown with them before to MCO. But I was looking up flights for February and they have a 2 hour transit time in Dubai both ways which seems perfect.

Just worried about flight delays/cancellations especially winter weather - usually I'm pretty laid back with these but not if I have to get to a runDisney event!
As @Kerry1957 said, we take the flight from Dubai to Orlando very frequently because we have a house near Melbourne. I’d recommend that option for you over anything going through Northern Europe or the northeastern US. You’re highly unlikely to have any issues with delays or cancellations in Dubai. Plus, DXB is really a giant shopping mall with some gates attached to it - plenty to do during your layover.

As @Kerry1957 said, we take the flight from Dubai to Orlando very frequently because we have a house near Melbourne. I’d recommend that option for you over anything going through Northern Europe or the northeastern US. You’re highly unlikely to have any issues with delays or cancellations in Dubai. Plus, DXB is really a giant shopping mall with some gates attached to it - plenty to do during your layover.

Thanks for the info about Dubai! I'm really quite tempted by Emirates as the flight timings are great for SIN-DXB-MCO and back next February - possibly the best of all the options I've looked at so far. The flights are coming out as more expensive (by a fair bit) than BA/ANA/United though so it might come down to price in the end perhaps... will wait and see if the prices will change over the next couple of months perhaps!

Hi!!!

I am a new runner but avid Disney girlie and I signed up the the Fairy Tale Challenge this February:-)
I'm looking for some feedback on my travel plans for race week and about runDisney events in general. All my questions are in bold.

FYI in regards to travel: My husband and I always drive to Disney and we have APs so transportation isn't an issue.

February 23rd-25th stay at Swan or Dolphin - Which one has a better view of EPCOT if I am getting a room with a balcony? Are the balcony rooms never available with my AP discount or should I be checking every day to see if they open up? Is it worth it to try and use a Travel Agent if I have 0 interest in a dining plan? Will the rates be any better? I was planning on driving to WWoS in the morning instead of taking a race bus. Good/Bad idea?

February 25th-29th DVC point rental at Animal Kingdom Lodge - Any idea if Jambo or Kidani is better? We plan on checking them out in September while we're there for MNSSH but I'd love personal recommendations! I want to stay in a Deluxe Resort to take advantage of the extended evening hours if they are available, plus giraffes are my favorite animals. Also I'm hoping to get some R&R at AKL Monday after I'm exhausted from the race. Do all the AKL rooms have tubs to ice bath in? Should I just save the $ and just stay with family until I can properly budget for the Polynesian in a few years? (Originally I wanted to stay at the Polynesian as this is an early 30th birthday trip but it's still just a bit far out of my budget. Maybe when I turn 40, lol)

I'm also banking on the EPCOT Flower & Garden festival starting on February 28th in 2024 or else my plan is kind of out the window.

Last some miscellaneous RunDisney questions:

Do all of the races have special ears? (I'm doing the Wine&Dine 10k in November but I won't get in until Friday, will I really be SOL with merch?)
Where can my husband watch my races? - When I google it looks like you used to have to pay to spectate in the parks but I can't tell if that's been axed? Is it even worth it to try and have him see me at more than one point on the race map?
Silly question but how do I know my proof of time is USATF certified? This isn't easily available information when I am registering for other races...

Okay phew, so much information. Please feel free to only answer parts or if I'm in the wrong thread please let me know. I appreciate any and all help!

Hi!!!

I am a new runner but avid Disney girlie and I signed up the the Fairy Tale Challenge this February:-)
I'm looking for some feedback on my travel plans for race week and about runDisney events in general. All my questions are in bold.

FYI in regards to travel: My husband and I always drive to Disney and we have APs so transportation isn't an issue.

February 23rd-25th stay at Swan or Dolphin - Which one has a better view of EPCOT if I am getting a room with a balcony? Are the balcony rooms never available with my AP discount or should I be checking every day to see if they open up? Is it worth it to try and use a Travel Agent if I have 0 interest in a dining plan? Will the rates be any better? I was planning on driving to WWoS in the morning instead of taking a race bus. Good/Bad idea?

February 25th-29th DVC point rental at Animal Kingdom Lodge - Any idea if Jambo or Kidani is better? We plan on checking them out in September while we're there for MNSSH but I'd love personal recommendations! I want to stay in a Deluxe Resort to take advantage of the extended evening hours if they are available, plus giraffes are my favorite animals. Also I'm hoping to get some R&R at AKL Monday after I'm exhausted from the race. Do all the AKL rooms have tubs to ice bath in? Should I just save the $ and just stay with family until I can properly budget for the Polynesian in a few years? (Originally I wanted to stay at the Polynesian as this is an early 30th birthday trip but it's still just a bit far out of my budget. Maybe when I turn 40, lol)

I'm also banking on the EPCOT Flower & Garden festival starting on February 28th in 2024 or else my plan is kind of out the window.

Last some miscellaneous RunDisney questions:

Do all of the races have special ears? (I'm doing the Wine&Dine 10k in November but I won't get in until Friday, will I really be SOL with merch?)
Where can my husband watch my races? - When I google it looks like you used to have to pay to spectate in the parks but I can't tell if that's been axed? Is it even worth it to try and have him see me at more than one point on the race map?
Silly question but how do I know my proof of time is USATF certified? This isn't easily available information when I am registering for other races...

Okay phew, so much information. Please feel free to only answer parts or if I'm in the wrong thread please let me know. I appreciate any and all help!
Swolphin: Both have decent views of EPCOT but that depends on really where the room is located. You will want a higher level room for sure. AP rooms or any discount at the liberty of what they are trying to get rid of. Theme park view rooms are higher demand and lower inventory so those are much less likely to be discounted. Travel agents (at least good ones) will most certainly work with you if you don't want the dining plan. The dining plan is not a necessity to use one. As for driving to WWoS this can vary but it is more reliable to usually drive there if you want to be there early.

AKL: Both are great options IMO. Jambo is the main resort so will have a bit more in terms of food options but Kidani is a walk or shuttle away. No not all AKL rooms will have a tub.

F&G: I don't believe Flower and Garden has ever started in February so I would not count on that.

Ears: More recently yes but we don't know for sure until we see the merch.

Spectating really depends on the race. For a 5k you can only view at the start and finish. 10K is dependent on the course but typically in the epcot resort area you can see runners. Half again depends on the course but start, finish, or inside MK if the course runs through there.

runDisney isn't exactly clear about this but as long as you have a verifiable link to race results you should be good.

Welcome! Hope you have a great time.

Do all of the races have special ears?
I believe the only finisher's ears are at the marathon. You may be able to purchase themed ears at the expo for other races/weekends.

Where can my husband watch my races?
When the participant guides comes out (usually about a week or two before the race), it will list options for spectators. They shouldn't need a ticket if they will be there before the park opens. Or there are places to watch outside the gates too if that works better. Seeing you at multiple points on the course will depend on what course and how fast you're running.

Silly question but how do I know my proof of time is USATF certified?
It might say on the race website, or you can always email and ask. Most courses that give official times are certified.

F&G: I don't believe Flower and Garden has ever started in February so I would not count on that.
I say this because F&G has been the Wednesday after the Princess Half Marathon the past 2 years, and looking even further at past dates they did start on the 28th in a previous year. So a girl can dream! 😂

2023: Princess - February 24-26 / F&G - Wednesday March 1st
2022: Princess - February 25-27 / F&G - Wednesday March 2nd
2021: Princess - February 19-21 Cancelled / F&G - Wednesday March 2nd* this was a weird year
2020: Princess - February 20-22 / F&G - Wednesday March 4th
2019: Princess - February 21-23 / F&G - Wednesday March 6th
2018: Princess - February 23-25 / F&G - Wednesday February 28th

Is it worth it to try and use a Travel Agent if I have 0 interest in a dining plan? Will the rates be any better? I was planning on driving to WWoS in the morning instead of taking a race bus. Good/Bad idea?

These days, TA's don't get any better rates than General Public/AP/other holders, so if you are comfortable doing your own reservations, then go with that.

Driving--do you mean to the Expo (which is at WWoS) or the races (which will be from Epcot)? Either way--yes. I always drive to the expo, and if you have a car and will be at Swolphin, then you should be able to make it to Epcot pretty directly.

Any idea if Jambo or Kidani is better?
"Better" is personal. I have stayed at Jambo for races as recently as Jan 2022 and like it there. I also rented DVC points and was spectacularly lucky to get a value room which ended up with a Savannah view (although not coded as a Savannah room). I love the Jambo lobby and also like the animal viewing areas (and the partly secluded hot tub where you can chill "animal-adjacent")

Silly question but how do I know my proof of time is USATF certified?
Not silly. You can search here:
https://certifiedroadraces.com/search/

I know "USATF" has been in their requirement in the past, but honestly I thought the emphasis was more on "officially timed".

These days, TA's don't get any better rates than General Public/AP/other holders, so if you are comfortable doing your own reservations, then go with that.
Don't write off a TA just because you can do it yourself. A good TA that knows Disney is going to be focused on getting you the best rate possible. People only have so much time in the day to sit on phones or look for those better rates. That is where a TA is helpful even if you are capable of booking it yourself.

I say this because F&G has been the Wednesday after the Princess Half Marathon the past 2 years, and looking even further at past dates they did start on the 28th in a previous year. So a girl can dream! 😂

2023: Princess - February 24-26 / F&G - Wednesday March 1st
2022: Princess - February 25-27 / F&G - Wednesday March 2nd
2021: Princess - February 19-21 Cancelled / F&G - Wednesday March 2nd* this was a weird year
2020: Princess - February 20-22 / F&G - Wednesday March 4th
2019: Princess - February 21-23 / F&G - Wednesday March 6th
2018: Princess - February 23-25 / F&G - Wednesday February 28th

Our fingers are crossed for Feb 28th too.

My wife is participating in her first ever Princess Run and we will be arriving one day after the final day for Festival of the Arts (although we attended that last year). The last full day of our trip and at the parks is Wednesday the 28th as we leave on the 29th, so it would be a nice surprise to experience Flower & Garden on Opening Day as we have never been for this festival before!

I have only stayed at Kidani, but I would say it's personal preference. Jambo has a larger lobby and more food options. Kidani is smaller and quieter. I prefer small and quiet, so I think Kidani is ideal for me.

Don't write off a TA just because you can do it yourself. A good TA that knows Disney is going to be focused on getting you the best rate possible. People only have so much time in the day to sit on phones or look for those better rates. That is where a TA is helpful even if you are capable of booking it yourself.

This. It's personal preference really. I definitely get the appeal of using a TA, and have several friends who are TAs. I am just such an anxious control freak that I need to have my hands on the wheel at all times, even if it is more time consuming.

Has anyone ever stayed in a cabin at Fort Wilderness for Princess weekend? I've always wanted to stay there, but it seems like it could be a hike to get a race bus.

Has anyone ever stayed in a cabin at Fort Wilderness for Princess weekend? I've always wanted to stay there, but it seems like it could be a hike to get a race bus.
Disney is transforming the cabins to DVC, and I don't know when they'll start. With all that going on, they may not be the best option for a runcation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter