Prices just hit my threshold :-(

And she did. This was not your typical bathroom yuck - it was as if someone wiped something all over the stall...if you get my drift. My point was/is that it opened my eyes to a total disrespect for one's surroundings and to the person who would have to clean up. It was not the way you would leave anyone's bathroom. I don't know who would do such a thing and leave it that way, but it doesn't seem like someone who thought of WDW in the same light as I do.
Have to wonder if that was the same bathroom stall I saw. It was so nasty...no words to describe it!!! I can't imagine anyone having to clean that up! And to think my dd is checking off custodial when she applies for the College Program!!!! Ewwwwww.

Everyone has to put their own value on things. So annual passes went up by $100 but I see people on the Budget board talking about $250 slipper shoes, or I see how nuts people go over the Dooney and Bourke Disney handbags for hundreds of dollars, or what about most suburban families that don't think twice about dropping nearly $50 for a family of four at Panera or Chipotle for a quick meal. But $100 a person over the course of a year has us all in a tizzy. If it isn't a value or priority to you, then time to vote with your feet and your pocketbook but in the big picture I still consider WDW a pretty decent value for us.
So very true. The same people that complain about a raise in park pass costs, go out and buy a very expensive handbag at WDW. It's all about choices.

I've seen both allergies and free dining as a reason for the food quality going downhill and neither make sense. There are thousands of great restaurants in this country that seem to handle food allergies while providing excellent service. As for free dining, how does a promo that lasts around 2-3 months account for a decline in food quality?
I traveled to WDW last May, with my dd and her bff. Both girls are young adults (21 and 20). Dd's friend is hugely allergic....I mean, to everything!!! She went into throes of ecstasy when she found a frozen fruit bar she could have....first time ever!! When we went to restaurants, we noted her many allergies. Each and every time (well, except at Teppan Edo, which is a whole different discussion!!), a chef came out to talk to her. They came up with some pretty incredible things. Yes, there were times that they had to provide a completely clean grill. She can eat most fish, but with no sauces or seasoning, white rice, bacon (go figure!), Coke Zero, and some vegetables. But again, prep has to be done in a very clean area. She once almost died due to someone getting dairy into her drink!!! The places we ate, were, for the most part, very good. She was able to eat something with us. I do think that some allergies have been over done....gluten especially. But, there are those that have life threatening allergies, and it's tough for them to travel. WDW does a terrific job of making food available to them.
And free dining? It's not just free dining. It's the entire dining plan. I have been at WDW during free dining. It was not a good experience. Restaurants that are normally fairly good, were miserable! Screaming kids, parents not watching their children who were running about. Servers who were stressed and harried. We left Coral Reef with no dessert once...it was just awful in there. When the food is 'free' guests try to get as big a bang for their buck as possible. I can't blame them for that. But when you go to a more expensive restaurant, later in the day, you don't expect it to be filled with screaming children.

I am actually toying with the idea of buying DVC for the specific purpose of buying those tickets with the black out dates as my family will never go in either of those two time frames.
I have seldom been at those blackout times...did go once on Easter day, but just for the morning...heading back from Tampa to Sanford to go home, so stopped off at MK to have breakfast at Crystal Palace and ride a few things. It was quite wonderful. But now...my dd is planning on working at WDW next year....we either have to pay an addtl $100, pp, to go to a park to see her, or miss out....since we want to spend some time at Christmas with her.

Glad I made you laugh! :)

People like to join in on the popular opinion so they can be one of the cool kids.

At one time Le Cellier was a top rated choice and then one day it was the cool thing to do to say the food sucks. We eat there every trip, the food doesn't suck IMO.
I guess I'm one of the 'cool kids' then. LeCellier used to be wonderful. It was really difficult to get an ADR there. Then....WDW decided to make it a
signature meal'...they changed the menu, getting rid of some of the lesser priced items, but ones that were loved by many. And the quality did go down. I ate there on almost every single trip. I haven't eaten there lately. I ate there once after they changed to a signature meal.....it just wasn't what I had come to expect at LeCellier.

There is also a saying where you can't please everyone. I have read plenty of posts where people have enjoyed Tony's, myself included. If you want incredible Italian go to Il Mulino NY Trattoria over at the Swan. If you want convenience stay in the park and settle for theme park Italian food.

And I love your uncle's saying, he must have be very successful. With that being said your uncle's main concern was food quality and service. He didn't have to worry about how many chicken parmesan dinners he had to sell to cover a $40k+ firework show.
And yet, one of my least pleasant dining experiences was at Il Mulino!! The server was very attentive at first...but as soon as he discovered my friend and I weren't drinking? Service went way downhill. The food was okay, but the entire meal was made less than stellar due to that server.

I have read every page in this thread and I do not think that anyone is saying "Disney should not be allowed to raise prices because then they can't afford it." Far too often the "entitlement culture" quote is used as a defense against those who have a legitimate complaint.
I have clearly heard people say
The product/service offered is becoming inferior and they are shocked that Disney is raising prices while this is going on.

P.S.
I remember complaining loud and clear and somehow the "ceramic mugs ""Magic" reappeared at OKW resort.

Mel
Wasn't that wonderful???? I well remember that timed. Those paper cups were miserable. Getting back our ceramic mugs was a big deal!!!

The gold pass is slightly more than what the Fl Resident Annual without blackout dates was. So basically they took away days, gave the photo pass and charged a few bucks more. Me personally, I would rather those days than the photo pass :(
Me too. And that's my basic issue. They gave me a perk I don't want, but took away the ability to use the AP for every day of the year, and still raised the price. How about keeping those days, but charging something minimal for the PP...say, $25. Then you can get it for the year if you wanted, but you could still get the days you want.

I know I said I was leaving this thread, but I just needed to respond to this one comment. Contractually, when you buy a DVC membership, they are not allowed to change the number of points that it takes to stay for a week during any particular season. They are allowed to change how many points each night takes, but it has to balance out to be the same for the week as it always has been. They are also allowed to adjust which weeks fall into which season (to account for holidays that change dates) but the number of weeks in each season has to remain the same as it always has. You should not buy your points for DVC based on points needed for less than 7 days. Your point buy should always be based on at least a week long stay as that number of points will never change.
Thanks for pointing this out to those who have had DVC for a very long time. We get it. You will find many DVC owners that try to avoid point usage on Fri/Sat nights. We try to go from Sunday to Friday now...point usage is high on the weekends. When DVC rearranged the points, yes, it was the same for the week, but they made it hard for those that traveled to avoid the higher nights. It would be like DVC now saying that sure, it's the same points per week, but we're going to change it to higher points every other night...making it impossible for anyone to avoid using those high point evenings.

All in all? I think I can safely say that most of us, that have been going to WDW for decades, realize that prices need to go up. Do they need to go up as fast as Disney raises them? Probably not. The thing that gets tiring is the nickle and diming that goes on. Used to be that you could go to MNSSHP and see villains out and about. Sure, you had to wait in an incredibly long line, but if you wanted to see them, you could. But, then Disney put the special party within the party in place. You could have special desserts and such and get to meet the villains...but it would cost you a lot more than your original party price. They took away E-nights, saying that the guests wanted more characters. So, characters started showing up in the resorts in the mornings. Disney said it would allow the crowd level, at rope drop, to go down...more guests would stay at the resort to see the characters. Yeah, that lasted a few months..no one cared. Then Disney came up with EMHs. We have seen those change a lot over the years. They change them all the time, making it hard to plan around. The special parties? Well.used to get a lot of 'free' stuff..buttons, photos, etc. Not anymore. Yet, they raise the price. Once Disney figured out that DVC owners were buying party tickets at a specific time? They changed the DVC discount dates....those going at that time of year no longer got the discount.
Lets not even get started on the holiday changes. The Lights of Winter at Epcot were taken away...seriously....antiquated technology? It's lightbulbs Disney. But hey...they gave us gospel singers..saying more people liked singers. Or the tree lighting ceremony at Epcot....so meaningful. CMs from around the world gathered with the characters, and did a nice program..welcoming guests in many languages. Nope, not anymore. DHS? You mean the theme park graveyard? Yes, they are building more there...terrific. But don't go raising prices and have empty parks!
Yes, Disney is a business, and very few will begrudge the raised prices. But, don't take stuff away from us. We are Disney's biggest fans! We can deal with just about anything. Just don't make us look like idiots!

When that idiot CEO jacked up the price of Daraprim 5000% he claimed publicly that it was to pay for research for a new version of the drug...ya know...something other than "cause-we-can" style greed. Do we expect any company to say outloud anything less than positive spin?

This increase isn't about crowd control. If the were concerned about that they would limit ticket sales or cap attendance or, God forbid, build more capacity.

I'm thrilled about both Star Wars land and Toy Story land and to a lesser extent Avatar land. But all three should have been built by now or WELL underway and nearing completion to coincide with the new pricing.

And if crowds are the problem, build a 5th gate.

Of course increasing revenue is always going to be a big part of any decision. But things don't simply happen in a vacuum. There's usually more than just that one factor that goes into decisions most of the time (though probably not in the case of the Daraprim hike). I'm sure if they felt they could increase revenue, and spread crowds out a little, reducing strain on their infrastructure during those peak times...they see it as a win-win.

They gain absolutely nothing from building a 5th gate other than increased costs, so I don't see that happening anytime in the foreseeable future. For sake of argument, let's just say most people take a week off of work, come down and spend on average 6-8 nights in WDW. If they built a 5th gate, will all those people change their routine to now stay an average of 9-12 nights? No chance. They'll just figure a way to fit in the 5th gate during the same 6-8 night stay. So there's no real benefit to Disney.

The crowds are probably a real problem about only 25% of the year - just before Christmas to just after New Year's, the weeks before and after Easter, and mid June through early August. I cracked up at some of the posts complaining about the crowds this last month. I saw many posts like "I can't believe it was so crowded for September - I thought it was slow season" and then later in the same post state "I walked onto everything". So how crowded was it? Part of the problem is expectations. Sometimes I get the feeling people truly believe they should never have to wait more than 5 minutes for anything, and walkways should be completely clear for them - no matter when they go.

Reactions: HM
Of course increasing revenue is always going to be a big part of any decision. But things don't simply happen in a vacuum. There's usually more than just that one factor that goes into decisions most of the time (though probably not in the case of the Daraprim hike). I'm sure if they felt they could increase revenue, and spread crowds out a little, reducing strain on their infrastructure during those peak times...they see it as a win-win.

They gain absolutely nothing from building a 5th gate other than increased costs, so I don't see that happening anytime in the foreseeable future. For sake of argument, let's just say most people take a week off of work, come down and spend on average 6-8 nights in WDW. If they built a 5th gate, will all those people change their routine to now stay an average of 9-12 nights? No chance. They'll just figure a way to fit in the 5th gate during the same 6-8 night stay. So there's no real benefit to Disney.

The crowds are probably a real problem about only 25% of the year - just before Christmas to just after New Year's, the weeks before and after Easter, and mid June through early August. I cracked up at some of the posts complaining about the crowds this last month. I saw many posts like "I can't believe it was so crowded for September - I thought it was slow season" and then later in the same post state "I walked onto everything". So how crowded was it? Part of the problem is expectations. Sometimes I get the feeling people truly believe they should never have to wait more than 5 minutes for anything, and walkways should be completely clear for them - no matter when they go.
I agree with you. They won't build a 5th gate (at least not for a loooong time). Because spreading out crowds is not their concern, nor is the guest experience. Monetizing the guest experience is their only concern or at least the main one. They'd be fine operating on a Christmas type capacity every day.

Im not priced out yet either financially or due to perceived value, but i totally get why others are.

I know I said I was leaving this thread, but I just needed to respond to this one comment. Contractually, when you buy a DVC membership, they are not allowed to change the number of points that it takes to stay for a week during any particular season. They are allowed to change how many points each night takes, but it has to balance out to be the same for the week as it always has been. They are also allowed to adjust which weeks fall into which season (to account for holidays that change dates) but the number of weeks in each season has to remain the same as it always has. You should not buy your points for DVC based on points needed for less than 7 days. Your point buy should always be based on at least a week long stay as that number of points will never change.

I thought they couldn't change the points used in a year.....so if they wanted to charge 20 point a night every night for a yr or 5 points some nights, 10 points other nights and 100 for the rest, as long as it added up to X amount of points over one yr. I wasn't under the impression that say the first week in Nov has to require 100 points every yr for the next 40 yrs.

Also are you saying value season must always have 7 weeks and premier season must all ways have 3 weeks. ( I'm just grabbing numbers, I have no idea what the real numbers/seasons are)

I thought they couldn't change the points used in a year.....so if they wanted to charge 20 point a night every night for a yr or 5 points some nights, 10 points other nights and 100 for the rest, as long as it added up to X amount of points over one yr. I wasn't under the impression that say the first week in Nov has to require 100 points every yr for the next 40 yrs.

Also are you saying value season must always have 7 weeks and premier season must all ways have 3 weeks. ( I'm just grabbing numbers, I have no idea what the real numbers/seasons are)

Points for a week in a particular season must always stay the same. If they raise the points for a day, they have to lower them for a different day. So for example if they raise Mondays 5 points, they would have to lower another day during that week by 5 points.

I just got an email about Holland America Caribbean Cruises from now into next year ranging from $379 to $549 per person (plus port charges) with 3rd and 4th guest in the cabin free (other than port charges). This included cruises at spring break time, including over President's holiday.

So, I can squish my family of four into a tiny room at All Star Sports or I can squish my family of four into a tiny room on a Holland America cruise ship. But, the All Star Sports stay will cost considerably more than the cruise. Yes, it's a different kind of vacation, but we love cruises.

For a family of four to stay at All Star Sports with dining plan is something like $400 per night. Then, add about $1800 for theme park tickets.

For the cruise, food is already paid for (and, given the decline in Disney dining, it can't be worse and may be better). Of course, we will need a few excursions, but those are unlikely to come to more than $1000.

So, something like $4,600 for a 7-night stay at All Stars versus something like $2,300 for a cruise with shore excursions on a nice Holland America ship.

At some point, other vacations will become far more appealing offering far more value than a WDW vacation.

I have seldom been at those blackout times...did go once on Easter day, but just for the morning...heading back from Tampa to Sanford to go home, so stopped off at MK to have breakfast at Crystal Palace and ride a few things. It was quite wonderful. But now...my dd is planning on working at WDW next year....we either have to pay an addtl $100, pp, to go to a park to see her, or miss out....since we want to spend some time at Christmas with her.

What I said was a little tongue in cheek but I can see your point of view. My mother paid the addition 100 just incase she ever wants to go during the blackout dates. As usual she didn't spare the CMs feelings in telling them exactly how she felt about Disney "gouging" their most loyal customers.

'. The rest of the increase will be diverted into other line items that need a boost- construction/renovation most probably.

- it is about generating revenues for (IMHO) construction and renovation.
Maybe. I think that is part of what some of us are questioning.

I mean, we could just as easily assume those extra $ are supporting Disney's lobbying efforts. We've got a big election coming up, and very large sums of $ being spent to fund it.

This is our second trip to Disney. We were saying before the announcement we wanted to go somewhere else next time like Universal or Sea world. This ridiculous increase just sealed it for me.

I gotta ask why have photo pass on each ap? the old system, one PP/MM per family. That made sense.

Reactions: HM
I'm wondering if all these pass holders now have photo pass, does anyone think Disney will be adding gobs more photographers to the parks? Could it be they have calculated X amount of people will be waiting in line at the globe for a photo and z amount waiting at the castle...... and somehow that turns out to be a good thing in disney eyes?

This is our second trip to Disney. We were saying before the announcement we wanted to go somewhere else next time like Universal or Sea world. This ridiculous increase just sealed it for me.

I gotta ask why have photo pass on each ap? the old system, one PP/MM per family. That made sense.

I wonder can one person get the AP for the photo pass and the rest of the family have 10 day tickets or something. Can you still link the photo pass for the whole family to participate. Back in the old days, it would sometimes make sense for one member to have an AP for discounts and such.

maybe they are anticipating that although all these passholders will HAVE free photo downloads, they won't all USE them.

I hate photos of me, but maybe I should just use the darn thing because I'm paying for it anyway.

Same here. I didn't feel like we got the value for our money this past trip. We spent about double of what we did last trip but got nothing new. Yes there are NFL but was that worth a few thousand bucks??

Yes we can afford to go to WDW but I work hard for my money and don't feel like throwing it away if I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth. That's what it comes down to for me.

This echoes the sentiment I've been hearing from people I know in my suburban community and work that were at one point Disney World regulars. The changes that have occurred since our family's first trip along with the regular (and expected) price increases and slim discounts has been a lot for us to keep up with. Both DH and I work and from a financial standpoint we feel comfortable and blessed; but we are very much practical spenders and with five kids (and I'm sure this is the case for many) we aren't in the position to make financial decisions that we will end up regretting. There are only so many ways you can work around the costs and for us there really isn't such a thing as a "budget" family Disney trip (even with staying offsite) because of the costs of park tickets and park food. As much as we love the Disney entertainment brand, it is getting harder to justify the cost of a Disney World vacation. Our upcoming 2016 trip will probably be our last for awhile. Our baby DD will be 2 years old and still "free" in 2016, and 2016 will also be the last year that only two of our kids will be at "adult" pricing :sad:; so if there is a year for us to get our last Disney World 'fix' for awhile it is meant to be 2016. We *hope* to do another family WDW trip before our 13 year old twins graduate from high school as we want to check some other vacation destinations off our "to do list" in the meantime. Our high school music dept and marching band does a four night WDW performance/competition trip every two years and since DD13 sings in the school chorus and also plans on trying out for the high school marching band's dance team next year (she's been dancing for nine years) I may have the opportunity to volunteer as a chaperone for that trip.

This echoes the sentiment I've been hearing from people I know in my suburban community and work that were at one point Disney World regulars. The changes that have occurred since our family's first trip along with the regular (and expected) price increases and slim discounts has been a lot for us to keep up with. Both DH and I work and from a financial standpoint we feel comfortable and blessed; but we are very much practical spenders and with five kids (and I'm sure this is the case for many) we aren't in the position to make financial decisions that we will end up regretting. There are only so many ways you can work around the costs and for us there really isn't such a thing as a "budget" family Disney trip (even with staying offsite) because of the costs of park tickets and park food. As much as we love the Disney entertainment brand, it is getting harder to justify the cost of a Disney World vacation. Our upcoming 2016 trip will probably be our last for awhile. Our baby DD will be 2 years old and still "free" in 2016, and 2016 will also be the last year that only two of our kids will be at "adult" pricing :sad:; so if there is a year for us to get our last Disney World 'fix' for awhile it is meant to be 2016. We *hope* to do another family WDW trip before our 13 year old twins graduate from high school as we want to check some other vacation destinations off our "to do list" in the meantime. Our high school music dept and marching band does a four night WDW performance/competition trip every two years and since DD13 sings in the school chorus and also plans on trying out for the high school marching band's dance team next year (she's been dancing for nine years) I may have the opportunity to volunteer as a chaperone for that trip.

You are they type of family that I think how can you afford it????? We have to pay for two people you have 6 to pay for. And I'm sure you're not just thinking we have extra money let's go to disney, but you're thinking college/schooling down the road too. We are at the other end of the road, kids are out of house, no more college, weddings or mortgage but am still upset at this increase.

Are they doing this to limit AP holders? If so, who are the majority of AP holders? Locals. I remember many moons ago I had season passes for Bush Gardens in VA. (I lived in VA). We packed a lunch and hit a cheap place on the way out for dinner. We did not spend much $$$ in the park.

I think they are doing this to keep more locals at home who tend to not spend that much money in the parks. The real money is in the food & merchandise.

I dunno, I know some WDW locals who used to enjoy eating the unique food treats WDW offered. (resort dining, Mickeybars) They were also in the habit of buying unique treats and merchandise they could send to others in the mail.

I dunno, I know some WDW locals who used to enjoy eating the unique food treats WDW offered. (resort dining, Mickeybars) They were also in the habit of buying unique treats and merchandise they could send to others in the mail.

You can buy WDW merchandise at the outlets in Orlando. Think about it, if you are staying at a hotel you are more likely to eat your meals at the parks. If you are on vacation you will buy lots of souvenirs. If you live here, you will buy ice cream at the parks but you will have dinner at home. You wont spend tons of money on something you can get at the outlets either.

Wal mart near the parks sells tons of Disney merchandise too. We got a car rental on our first day to stock the room and get cheaper t shirts etc.

Nope the AP price hikes is not for those visiting Florida it is to keep those away who really do not spend that much money at the parks.

Why don't I believe you? Top 10 % of wage earners? :rotfl2: Why don't I believe that? Call me crazy.....
That's ok, I'm still trying to figure out in what world their 2016 family vacation starts in 11 days (ref their signature). That's bothered me more than almost any post in this thread, though I feel some really have crossed the line into trolling and rudeness. (Flame suit on). As far as I'm aware it's not 2016 for almost another 3 months :offtopic:

Edit - yay, they corrected their ticker, I can now finish reading the thread without distraction :flower:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter