• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pre-Buy AP renewal?

disdreams77

Mouseketeer
Hey guys....I have a credit card minimum that I am trying to meet this month. Can I pre-buy an DVC AP renewal? I am planning on renewing later this year and already have the money set aside. Can I prebuy this renewal?

Maybe. Depends when your current pass expires. Annual Passes can be renewed up to 60 days before and 30 days after expiration.

The only way you can renew on or before June 30 is with an AP that has an expiration date on or before August 29 because you cannot renew until 60 days before the expiration date.

OK, so if I understand you correct...if my expiration is September 6, then 60 days before I can renew? And it won't change my renewal date still being September 6, correct?

The only way you can renew on or before June 30 is with an AP that has an expiration date on or before August 29 because you cannot renew until 60 days before the expiration date.

ABSOLUTELY true :). And here is why I HATE this....

Eventually, one MAY end up from year to year having an AP that expires on the FIRST day of the NEXT booked vacation.....
Uh-oh .... got a 60 day FP booking window? You'll have a Hotel Reservation & no valid Park Ticket :). No FP for YOU :). Want to renew at 70 days prior to expiration, so you CAN book FPs at your 60 day mark? Ehhhhh - can't do it :).

I get why WDW needs a "can't renew before" window. But I think they should revisit what the window is - and potentially slave it to the FP booking Window for on site guests. Easy way to do this? Consider allowing AP renewal BEFORE 60 days, with a valid upcoming on site hotel Reservation number.

OK, so if I understand you correct...if my expiration is September 6, then 60 days before I can renew? And it won't change my renewal date still being September 6, correct?

Correct, you can renew an AP that expires Sep 6 anytime from July 8 (60 days before Sep 6) to October 6 (30 days after) but not before July 8 and not after October 6, and with all renewals, the new pass begins on the prior pass's expiration date, Sep 6 in your case, and will end the same date a year later.

Just buy a Disney gift card in the amount of the renewal now and use it when your window opens. I'm 99% sure the gift card can be used for an AP but given the amount of money you're spending if feel better if some of the experts on this board verified and if I were you I'd also call to verify.

ABSOLUTELY true :). And here is why I HATE this....

Eventually, one MAY end up from year to year having an AP that expires on the FIRST day of the NEXT booked vacation.....
Uh-oh .... got a 60 day FP booking window? You'll have a Hotel Reservation & no valid Park Ticket :). No FP for YOU :). Want to renew at 70 days prior to expiration, so you CAN book FPs at your 60 day mark? Ehhhhh - can't do it :).

I get why WDW needs a "can't renew before" window. But I think they should revisit what the window is - and potentially slave it to the FP booking Window for on site guests. Easy way to do this? Consider allowing AP renewal BEFORE 60 days, with a valid upcoming on site hotel Reservation number.

This actually just happened to us. Our trip starts on Aug. 22 and our passes expired on Aug. 23. So we were able to book our first 2 days of FPs and then had to renew our annual passes. I called MS on June 22 and they allowed me to renew then. I believe it was about 62 days before they expired. Maybe it was allowed because I explained I couldn't make my FPs for the remainder of our trip or maybe I was just lucky.

To the OP I would suggest calling and asking if you can renew if you are actually anywhere near the 60 day window. From reading your post I am assuming you are not really that close. But I guess it can't hurt to ask. The gift card idea seems like a good second option. Good luck.

Just buy a Disney gift card in the amount of the renewal now and use it when your window opens. I'm 99% sure the gift card can be used for an AP but given the amount of money you're spending if feel better if some of the experts on this board verified and if I were you I'd also call to verify.

We renewed online and paid with a Disney gift card, no issues. :-)

This actually just happened to us. Our trip starts on Aug. 22 and our passes expired on Aug. 23. So we were able to book our first 2 days of FPs and then had to renew our annual passes. I called MS on June 22 and they allowed me to renew then. I believe it was about 62 days before they expired. Maybe it was allowed because I explained I couldn't make my FPs for the remainder of our trip or maybe I was just lucky.

To the OP I would suggest calling and asking if you can renew if you are actually anywhere near the 60 day window. From reading your post I am assuming you are not really that close. But I guess it can't hurt to ask. The gift card idea seems like a good second option. Good luck.

Let me update you on this issue.... You see, I CONTACTED Guest Relations. Today? I got a phone call....

Much as I had suspected.... NO ONE ACTUALLY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS. The DVC renewal windows were there BEFORE FP even existed:) And each department decided to pick the SAME 60 day renewal window :).

What I suggested.... STAGGER the renewal windows. There are at least 3 ways to do this

1) Expand renewal window for AP to 70 days for a verified on site visitor (all DB logic, all math - OPTIMUM).
2) Reduce 60 day FP booking window to 50 days for on site guests. Keep AP renewal window at 60 days (much LESS than optimum).
3) Give up... you lack the ability to adjust to interdepartmental issues, and have decided to NOT be one company. We'll deal with it.

WDW will do what they choose to do. In the interim? Depending on your AP renewal window, ALL AP holders are NOT granted a 60 day window for FP reservations... that is simple fact, based on a poor corporate interdepartmental choice. The issue will affect FEW people, depending on your AP renewal window. MOST people will just get lucky, and not experience this issue.

Given the time frame of this issue.... WDW was not being "evil" - they just never THOUGHT about it. Folks? They screwed up. People do that, on occasion.

So - today? If your AP expires at the beginning, middle, or end of your vacation.... you will only be able to book FPs until your VALID TICKET expires. You must then renew when WDW ALLOWS you to, and book your other FPs.

All previous data conveyed based on Guest Services telephone conversation.... I'm not right, you aren't wrong....If you have other opinions, please convey communication DATA.

I go through this every year myself. What a PITA for sure. Just an extra 10 days would help....I like the 70 day window.

Or for simplicities sake how about a 90-day renewal ahead? I would like that as we could spread out the purchases easier. One at 90, 1 at 60 etc.

Our current situation is that we're going in Sept. and our AP's expire in July - in order to make FP+ reservations and have a valid tix to do so we have to renew our AP's a few weeks early. Not the end of the world but something that has to be thought out....

This is something I hadn't considered before as we hadn't previously purchased APs. So if I'm understanding correctly- our current APs expire December 11, so we can renew them 60 days before that; however, our trip is December 11-19 this year, so we will only be able to make fast pass reservations for the 11th, then have to renew, then try to make the fast passes for the rest of the trip? That is a pain if I have this right!

This is something I hadn't considered before as we hadn't previously purchased APs. So if I'm understanding correctly- our current APs expire December 11, so we can renew them 60 days before that; however, our trip is December 11-19 this year, so we will only be able to make fast pass reservations for the 11th, then have to renew, then try to make the fast passes for the rest of the trip? That is a pain if I have this right!

Yep, you got it right.

Interesting.

Would this work for all of in the same situation- to purchase tickets from a place like Parksavers, link them to our MDE accounts, then bridge the tickets to DVC AP renewals once we are there...I believe it has to be done once you've use the tickets to enter a park? Would that circumvent this splitting of our trips and fast pass windows?

Interesting.

Would this work for all of in the same situation- to purchase tickets from a place like Parksavers, link them to our MDE accounts, then bridge the tickets to DVC AP renewals once we are there...I believe it has to be done once you've use the tickets to enter a park? Would that circumvent this splitting of our trips and fast pass windows?

I believe so.

Does anyone know if it's possible to renew a gold pass, but actually change to a platinum pass?

I currently have a gold, and the price for a new gold is the same as the price for a platinum renewal. Thx

Maybe. Depends when your current pass expires. Annual Passes can be renewed up to 60 days before and 30 days after expiration.

If you renew 30 past expiration, when does your "year window start"? When you renew or when they expired?

Does anyone know if it's possible to renew a gold pass, but actually change to a platinum pass?

I currently have a gold, and the price for a new gold is the same as the price for a platinum renewal. Thx

I was wondering a similar thing. If you buy yearly APs, can you buy one level one year and a different level another year and still get the reduced price? (ex with Waterparks and without)?

If you renew 30 past expiration, when does your "year window start"? When you renew or when they expired?
Your window would start on the day your original pass expired. (So there is no benefit to waiting to renew other than keeping your $$ for another month).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter