Pre-Book and Hope For Free Dining Or Wait?

TeamSy

DIS Veteran
Just curious - do you typically book for fall dates now, and then cancel and change the reservation when free dining comes out, or just wait all together?

I'm really torn on what to do this year. Lately, we've been renting points, but this year, we want to go in the fall. I'm wondering if I should just wait and see free dining dates, since we are flexible, and book a regular hotel through Disney, or go our usual route and rent points. :confused3

Just curious - do you typically book for fall dates now, and then cancel and change the reservation when free dining comes out, or just wait all together?

If you will absolutely not go unless you can get Free Dining, then there's no point in booking now; it just (very slightly) reduces the chance that the room you want will be available for Free Dining. Though keep in mind that there's no guarantee that there will even be Free Dining at all. It's very likely to happen - it's been a super popular promotion. But they keep scaling back on it, and offering more blackouts and fewer rooms.

But if you plan to go no matter what, there's no good reason not to book something you'd find acceptable now, and keep watching for a better discount or a good upgrade. Just ask yourself what you'd book if you can't get Free Dining. Will you still go with your favorite resort and pay more? Will you drop down one level of accommodations? Whatever it would be, book that now as your "back pocket" reservation, and keep watching for your "stretch goal" to go on sale.

I am planning on going in December and we always stay at the French Quarter. I saw that the current offer did not include the French Quarter. Does anyone have any insight as to if the POFQ will be included in December free dining if it is offered?

I am planning on going in December and we always stay at the French Quarter. I saw that the current offer did not include the French Quarter. Does anyone have any insight as to if the POFQ will be included in December free dining if it is offered?
If people book the rooms now, it will not. If everyone waits, it might.

It's usually excluded.

Most people say to wait and see, otherwise they will not do it, if the rooms are booked. If your willing to move resorts you could wait. The only reason I see being a reason to prebook, is I think dining reservations 180+ would begin before the free dining was released. So, lots of reservations could be taken before you get a chance to even book, does that make sense? I'm only speculating, though. Last year we had already booked before it released, so we were able to make all reservations early, then call and rebook with Free Dining. I know it's frowned upon, but we were going regardless. Besides, if we were getting the free dining, I wanted to eat at all the places I had been hoping for!

I'm in the same boat. We are hoping to go in Nov. but FD is pretty much a must. I know my ADR dates will open in May, and I'm out of the loop. When does fall FD usually get released?

I'm in the same boat. We are hoping to go in Nov. but FD is pretty much a must. I know my ADR dates will open in May, and I'm out of the loop. When does fall FD usually get released?

It was May last year which was pretty early. Usually it's in the summer.

Mousesavers has historical discounts and release dates.

Most people say to wait and see, otherwise they will not do it, if the rooms are booked. If your willing to move resorts you could wait. The only reason I see being a reason to prebook, is I think dining reservations 180+ would begin before the free dining was released. So, lots of reservations could be taken before you get a chance to even book, does that make sense? I'm only speculating, though. Last year we had already booked before it released, so we were able to make all reservations early, then call and rebook with Free Dining. I know it's frowned upon, but we were going regardless. Besides, if we were getting the free dining, I wanted to eat at all the places I had been hoping for!

I had a question about this. You can make ADR's without a room reservation , correct? So you could make your ADR's 180 days out even if free dining hasn't been announce.

I had a question about this. You can make ADR's without a room reservation , correct? So you could make your ADR's 180 days out even if free dining hasn't been announce.

Yes, but only on property guests are eligible for the 180+10 booking perk.

An off property guest would have to call every day for each day of their trip once that particular day is 180 days out.

An on property guest can call when their first day is at 180 days, and book for 10 days straight - booking their whole trip at once.

If you have to do this, book at a resort that never fills all of its free dining rooms. All of the advantages - none of the risks.

It's usually excluded.

That has not always been the case. This started when everyone began to anticipate free dining and book early. Since this resort is the smallest (by far), it is least likely to have enough rooms left if folks follow that trend again.

That has not always been the case. This started when everyone began to anticipate free dining and book early. Since this resort is the smallest (by far), it is least likely to have enough rooms left if folks follow that trend again.

Usually... I used the word usually.

But it hasn't been included since 2012. It's unlikely to be added back in.

Usually... I used the word usually.

But it hasn't been included since 2012. It's unlikely to be added back in.

Yeah, I just don't agree that it is unlikely to be added back in. If folks stop pre-booking at POFQ, it probably will (IMO).

Yeah, I just don't agree that it is unlikely to be added back in. If folks stop pre-booking at POFQ, it probably will (IMO).

That's fine. I believe it has less to do with ore booking, and more to do with being fill able without free dining. Same reason it's either excluded or given a 5% room discount when other mods are much higher.

POR and FQ were excluded in 2012 and when lots of people switched resorts both were added back into the FD pool. We enjoyed 2 weeks of FD December starting 12/20/2012 at POR. Since their was 5 in our party FQ wasn't an option even though it was offered to us. Resorts are excluded or limited based on pre-bookings. In today's economy people will pay rack rate to enjoy the resort they love and Disney is betting on that.

If you have to do this, book at a resort that never fills all of its free dining rooms. All of the advantages - none of the risks.

This is what I am considering doing... booking at my least favorite option where free dining usually does not sell out so I can get my ADR's and then if it is available at my first two choices switch over to those when it opens. If not stick with my third not so favorite option and try and have free dining applied. If I don't get it there I can then switch over to one of my first two choices and just pay for dining, but we would have to shorten our trip. We shall see! I liked it the year they released all the free dining codes the end of the year before... It made it easy for early planners like me.

Agreed ..if your heart isn't set on a specific resort regardless of the free dining. We we're going regardless and wanted that specific one :yay:

What level? You'd probably be safe at Pop for values and Coronado for moderates. I'd say CBR but with the addition of 5 person rooms I have no idea what they'll do with it this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter