Power Chair vs ECV

Duffy2008

Earning My Ears
Hi Ive a very bad back and can't walk long distances. Ive used ECVs in the parks many time. Im looking into buying a power chair, as i like that the seat can recline a bit and some ive seen are easy to travel with to places like Tokyo where there isnt a ton of room.

In making this choice what should I be looking at? Ive never used a power chair before so Im not sure why it would be better or worse then an ECV. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Let me preface this by saying that I have never used a power chair.

I purchased my own ECVs (I have 2 nearly identical personal mobility devices). When I was looking at purchasing my device(s), here are the primary criteria I considered:

- Price: I wanted it to be reasonably priced - and I wanted it to have reasonable priced parts/accessories available in case I needed them.
- Weight: Will I be able to lift it in and out of my car? What's the weight of the heaviest piece?
- Ease of construction: If I have to assemble/disassemble every time I go somewhere in my car, how many parts are there? In a driving rain, how long will it take to load/unload?
- Battery life: I wanted the longest possible battery life, with the fastest possible recharge. I also wanted to be able to purchase extra batteries to carry when we go to WDW, since it's not unusual to run 12 hours a day there.
- Agility & speed: How nimble is it? Can I easily turn corners, scoot through a tight spot? And will it go fast enough to keep up with my hubs (who has impossibly long legs, and walks SO fast)
- Driving position: Because of my particular medical issues, I need to constantly work to strengthen and/or maintain my core at every opportunity. I wanted a device that would encourage me to sit up straight, but was comfortable enough to ride long distances/times.

In the end, I purchased a TravelScoot. My first one (now named "Maximus" after the Palace horse in "Tangled") was the first "generation" that did not have reverse, (so you had to make like "Fred Flintstone" every time you had to back up LOL) and relied upon a belt-driven motor to propel it. After seeing how happy I was to have my freedom back, my sweet hubby bought me the current model, which *does* have reverse, and is a more compact hub motor (so I don't have to worry about a belt breaking in the middle of vacation!) Other than that, they are nearly identical. I've named it "Angus", in honor of Princess Merida's faithful steed from "Brave", who always brings her home safely from her adventures!

I lovelovelove my Travelscoots. Both of them are less than 35 pounds to lift (without me on them) and both will fold down into a bag the size of a golf bag. But I never *have* to fold them - I just drop the handlebars, and roll it right into the back of my Kia Soul, and away I go on my adventures!

I don't use the seat back - it forces me to sit up straight, which helps me maintain my core, and a happy bonus is that I can simply mount it like a tricycle - swing one leg over, and away I go!

I have "customized" both of them with undercarriage lighting that is color changing - so wherever I am, I am my own Main Street Electrical Parade! - and I purchased the optional foot pedals, so that I can stretch my leg(s) (one or both) out straight if I need to. I also found some cool little LED bike headlights and taillights that I put on - at WDW, I like to keep my lights on for safety!

Because the Travelscoots are 3 wheelers, I can literally crank my tiller all the way hard to the right, and my rear wheel will spin on a dime. (Because the left rear wheel is the "power" wheel, you can't do the same to left, but it still can make impressively tight turns)

Between my 2 scooters I have 3 batteries, and 3 chargers - so I can double-stack, and run all day and all night at WDW before I even start to think about recharging. The batteries are airline-friendly (the original designer/owner of the company was a pilot) and the gate crews LOVE Angus because they can literally carry him right down the steps at the end of the Jetway. Just as an FYI, I have heard of people having trouble in some countries with the batteries for their power chairs and ECVs - be sure to find out what will be allowed to travel back *out* of the country. I have personally heard from one fellow ECV user who was traveling to several locations in Japan, China and the Philippines, and on 2 of the flights (one out of China, the other out of the Philippines) he was faced with officials at the airports who were happy to let his ECV fly along with him, but they wanted to *ship* his batteries back to his home address! In both cases, he was finally able to convince them that he had to have the batteries when he got to the next airport, and that he had indeed flown *in to* the country with those same batteries, but I guess it was kind of a white knuckle moment both times. TL;DR Make sure that your battery(s) will be allowed into AND out of any countries you may travel to.

Last but not least is this - and it's the one thing I never really considered until I was using Angus on a daily basis. Because I can adjust the seat height up and down by almost 2 inches, I can raise and lower not only viewpoint, but also my center of gravity. When I am at WDW, I purposely lower my center of gravity to help prevent problems. There are so many ramps, hills, slopes and curb cuts at WDW that I err on the side of caution. I don't want to spend a moment of my WDW time at the Urgent Care because I tumped over!

I can understand the allure of a power chair - they do appear to be more compact, and easy to turn, and I suspect they might be much more comfortable. However, I know that they are also much, much heavier, and I believe you will have to break it down into multiple parts to load/unload from most passenger vehicles. Honestly, I try to avoid them because I already know that I am destined to spend the rest of my life in one, so I am in no hurry to sit down! For now, I am happy to be zipping around on my little personal scooter that I can load and unload by myself. I don't really want to use it, but it's the best possible compromise for me.

Perhaps try to identify what the most important features are that you want/need in your mobility device - and then start your search from there. There are so many more options for folding power chairs now that you may be able to find one that fits your needs and budget. (search for "folding power chair" at Amazon sometime...!)

Good luck with your search. I know that this is a highly personal decision, and I hope you find the right solution for you!

I have never used a powerchair, so you are welcome to take this advice or leave it.

Powerchairs are usually driven by a joystick, which can be very sensitive and takes a bit of time to master. They are also considerably heavier than ECVs or portable scooters, and unlikely to be broken down for easy transport in a regular vehicle.

Since you plan to travel internationally with the chair, I strongly recommend that you do research. Many who use powerchairs report damage by airlines, be sure your chair can be serviced wherever you go; some prefer not to take the powerchair when traveling if they have another option. Also look at local transportation options at your destination. Powerchairs generally need to be transported as a whole unit, requiring an accessible vehicle. Accessible transportation options may be limited. And look into general accessibility at your destinations -- are doorways wide enough, sidewalk curbcuts, ramps, etc. Many older cities simply have logistical challenges becoming accessible by modern standards.

Research various mobility devices. Some are larger/smaller than others. You may find a travel scooter that suits your needs and your budget.

Good luck with your research and your travels!

One additional thought - power chairs and ECVs handle different types of surfaces in a different fashion. Like @lanejudy, I can't remark on how a power chair will handle cobblestone streets, uneven pavements, or unusual paving materials/surfaces, but after driving my ECV all over WDW, I have a strong idea of how my personal mobility device would handle those differing surfaces.

Just another thing you may want to consider when making your final selection.

The biggest thing is how to plan to transport it. Most powerchairs do not come apart and weigh a lot. So if you have a car, it will be very difficult for you to take it anywhere. I used a ramp and drove/pushed it into wagons or vans. There are a couple things that break down, but most of those are not meant to be used all day every day.

I have never used a powerchair, so you are welcome to take this advice or leave it.

Powerchairs are usually driven by a joystick, which can be very sensitive and takes a bit of time to master. They are also considerably heavier than ECVs or portable scooters, and unlikely to be broken down for easy transport in a regular vehicle.

Since you plan to travel internationally with the chair, I strongly recommend that you do research. Many who use powerchairs report damage by airlines, be sure your chair can be serviced wherever you go; some prefer not to take the powerchair when traveling if they have another option. Also look at local transportation options at your destination. Powerchairs generally need to be transported as a whole unit, requiring an accessible vehicle. Accessible transportation options may be limited. And look into general accessibility at your destinations -- are doorways wide enough, sidewalk curbcuts, ramps, etc. Many older cities simply have logistical challenges becoming accessible by modern standards.

Research various mobility devices. Some are larger/smaller than others. You may find a travel scooter that suits your needs and your budget.

Good luck with your research and your travels!
I agree.
Power wheelchairs are much different that ECVs. We have not traveled with our daughter's power wheelchair due to concern about breakage/damage. They are more fragile than manual wheelchairs or ECVs.

And, in most cases, you will need an accessible vehicle because most power wheelchairs do not come apart and are very heavy. Many are over 200 pounds, not including the batteries.

I have seen some of foldable power wheelchairs at WDW. IN GENERAL, they are light weight for easy transport when folded, but they generally are one piece, which can be unwieldy to transport. The one piece is probably heavier than the heaviest piece of an ECV and the folded wheelchair may still not fit in all vehicles. To cut down on weight, they may not have as large of batteries.
The seats do not look as comfortable as an ECV or regular power wheelchair seat. The foldable power wheelchairs are less expensive than traditional power wheelchairs, but still may cost 2-3 times as much as an ECV.
Power wheelchair can have a range in price from a few thousand dollars for a foldable or very basic chair, to $4-6000 for a little more custom, to $10s of thousands for custom power wheelchairs with many features (think a very nice sports luxury car).

One additional thought - power chairs and ECVs handle different types of surfaces in a different fashion. Like @lanejudy, I can't remark on how a power chair will handle cobblestone streets, uneven pavements, or unusual paving materials/surfaces, but after driving my ECV all over WDW, I have a strong idea of how my personal mobility device would handle those differing surfaces.

Just another thing you may want to consider when making your final selection.
Most power wheelchairs (except the foldable ones) come with shocks and have multiple wheels, which makes handling cobblestone streets, uneven pavement and unusual surfaces not much of an issue.

I made an update entry on this thread about power wheelchairs vs ECVs that might be helpful.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/renting-ecv-vs-power-wheelchair.1960226/

The biggest thing is how to plan to transport it. Most powerchairs do not come apart and weigh a lot. So if you have a car, it will be very difficult for you to take it anywhere. I used a ramp and drove/pushed it into wagons or vans. There are a couple things that break down, but most of those are not meant to be used all day every day.
Exactly.
I know of people who got a power wheelchair, but didn't have a ramp into their house, so had to leave it outside in their garage (us before we moved to SN accessible house).

We've had an accessible ramped van since my daughter got a power wheelchair. An accessible van costs about 2x as much as a regular van.
You can use portable ramps to push it into a van, but power wheelchairs are heavy and you would qsnt to make sure you are able to push it up.

Also, I noticed the OP wanted to be able to recline the seat a bit. Most power wheelchairs don't have seats that can recline. In most cases, the seatback is set in a particular location and can't be moved without tools. My daughter's present power wheelchair is her first one that reclines at all. That was an extra (and expensive) option.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and insite. I really appreciate it and it gives me a lot to think about and I'm sure I'll have questions later. :)

One of the chairs I was looking at is
https://www.epizontech.com/electric...lectric-powered-foldable-mobility-wheelchair/

It says it's weight is 50lbs. I'm not sure if that is to much or not yet. They show it going into a trunk of a car. So I'm thinking if it won't fit in a taxis trunk(when needed) then we could hopefully find a taxi van. I know not all places will have that and the I'll look into it before we book anything. At home I have an SUV.

I'm on my phone now so when I get on a computer (bigger screen) I'll take your experience and see how this chair or something close to it would compare.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and insite. I really appreciate it and it gives me a lot to think about and I'm sure I'll have questions later. :)

One of the chairs I was looking at is
https://www.epizontech.com/electric...lectric-powered-foldable-mobility-wheelchair/

It says it's weight is 50lbs. I'm not sure if that is to much or not yet. They show it going into a trunk of a car. So I'm thinking if it won't fit in a taxis trunk(when needed) then we could hopefully find a taxi van. I know not all places will have that and the I'll look into it before we book anything. At home I have an SUV.

I'm on my phone now so when I get on a computer (bigger screen) I'll take your experience and see how this chair or something close to it would compare.

I was curious, and did some quick research.

Most of the folding power chairs on the market seem to range from 45 pounds (at the light end, with a weight limit of 180 pounds total) upward from there.

Here's what you might want to investigate:

- First, how *easily* does it actually fold? No matter how "compact" something is, if it is super-difficult to fold, or you have to take it halfway apart, then that could affect your decision. Anything can be considered "compact" if you take enough parts off of it... LOL Shoot, I could almost ship my entire Kia Soul via UPS if I took it apart into enough "compact" pieces! (although that's a LOT of boxes!!! LOL)

- Next, ask the manufacturer for the *folded* dimensions, and the total weight when folded (including batteries). So, if it's 36 inches high by 14 inches deep by 18 inches wide (just for example) and weighs 50 pounds, now you know what you have to try to lift, and maneuver into and out of the trunk of a taxi or other rental vehicle. Around here where I live, our taxi drivers and Uber/Lyft drivers won't touch your personal equipment; you have to load/unload that yourself, or have someone with you capable of loading/unloading it. 50 pounds doesn't sound like a lot, until you realize that you are lifting a giant dead-weight rectangle up and over the sill, into the trunk or cargo area. My 35 pound ECV is actually easier to lift and carry when it is "open" and ready for use, simply because there are multiple places to grab it. When it is folded down to it's "shipping" configuration and placed into it's travel bag, it's *quite* awkward to carry - even at "only" 35 pounds, try lifting a golf bag in and out of a car, and see what I mean.

- Finally, I would try to find at least one or two folks who have actually bought and used any mobility device you are considering - especially if you can't test drive/sit in one prior to purchase - and see what they have to say. If you can, ask them what they would change about it, what they love, what they hate, and any problems they have experienced. How long have they owned, and about how many miles do they think they have put on it? That's where buying from (or at least reading reviews at) Amazon.com can be helpful. You can ask questions of the seller, read reviews from real users, and compare to other similar devices. (Here's a search for "folding power chair" to get you started)

I understand the appeal of a device like the one you are looking at; on the surface they appear to be a very comfortable way to travel - however, remember that driving while reclined can be dangerous; your center of gravity will be shifted, and from a visual standpoint it could affect your depth perception. For safety, you may have to sit upright to drive, and only recline the seat back when you are in a fixed spot for a length of time.

If you require the amount of support that can only be provided by a device like this, I would recommend you work with your doctor to identify the best possible device before making such a substantial investment.

I am on my 3rd power chair. I have brought two of them to WDW. I found it easier to drive with the joy stick then using the tiller where I needed to keep my arms extended. Cobble stone surfaces are still bumpy and I try to avoid them. My chair does recline but it is slowed down when in use. If there is a medical need for a power chair you can attend a wheel chair sitting where all you needs will be assessed.
In addition to MS I had a broken leg on our last trip so I did a lot of waiting outside attractions while family rode. I was happy to find a shady area recline my chair elevate my legs and nap! My family was sure I would end up on YouTube!

A couple things before I go to work -
Specifications from bottom of page:
Weight 56 Pounds w/o the battery, charger etc..
Max Capacity 400 pounds
Unfolded Dimensions (LxWxH) 39 in. x 25 in. x 35 in.

It says weight is 56 pounds without the battery or chargers.
It doesn't say how much the batteries or charger weigh, but I would expect at least an extra 10-15 pounds.
It says is can be used in manual mode, but that is meant for short term when batteries die, etc. Pushing a 50 pound wheelchair with that small of wheels would not be easy (the larger the tires, the easier to push).

I agree with mamabunny that it would be heavy to lift into a trunk. For comparison, my daughter's old manual wheelchair folded side to side, which would be fairly similar size to this. It only weighed about about 26 pounds, so much lighter. But it was still an oomph to get it into a trunk or back of van.
I'm not sure how much a full golf bag weighs, but it would be a pretty good comparison.

One of the reviews suggests getting 2 extra batteries and bringing the charger along to top it off. That would concern me about whether or not it actually gets as much distance on one. And, that's extra weight and bulk to carry around.

i don't see anything that indicated it reclines or even that the seatback angle can be adjusted. If that is important to you, you will want to check out whether it can do that (the photo on the page showing a reclined item is a recumbent bike).

It says the armrests are movable, but it doesn't indicate whether or not they can be positioned. Being able to position the armrest up or down can be important for comfort.

The seat looks very thin and may not be comfortable. It says the seat is 17 x 17, which may or may not be a good size for you. Because the joystick is to the side, width makes a much larger difference than with an ECV. If the seat is too wide, it can be too much of a reach to be comfortable driving.

If you have never driven a power wheelchair before, I would suggest going somewhere to try one. Some people just don't like/feel comfortable how they drive. You want yo find that out before making a big investment.

Aldo, I would look for reviews outside of the manufacturer website. Not saying there is anything wrong with the reviews, but independent ones are better.

Thank you Sue. I've looked at so many that I'm getting them confused. I should have posted this one

https://www.ezlitecruiser.com/pages/specifications-and-comparison-of-models

This one does have models that seat back does tilt back. The weight is over 50 with out the battery. So I'm not sure how that would work.

I would like to rent a power chair and try it out. Maybe a few times and one of those times go to DLR and see how I like it.

It's not an easy choice.

I use a power chair around the house. It's called the Golden Literider. It's not foldable but it comes apart like the ECV's. The whole chair weighs 120 lbs but the heaviest piece is 35 lbs. We looked at the folding types because I thought loading & unloading would be easier on my husband. He said he'd rather deal with one that comes apart than the foldable type. My husband is more concerned about safety for me than what's easiest for him. He feels that the folding chairs will be less stable, partly due to the light weight. He just thinks a 120 lb chair is more stable than a 50 lb chair & doesn't mind taking apart & putting together. I would think anyone capable of lifting a 50 lb folding chair could manage my chair. I'm starting to use the power chair more when we're out & about instead of my ECV. I'm thinking about using it for our WDW trip in March. It's battery doesn't last as long as my ECV battery so I haven't decided. There is a new model called the Literider Envy that has a bigger battery. My husband suggests I trade in the ECV & get the new power chair for trips & use the old one with smaller battery for the house. I'm thinking just get the larger battery for my old chair if it fits or just get a spare small battery for WDW. That way I can put in a fresh battery mid-day instead of being stuck in the room charging. I don't know if the Golden Literider Envy would work for you, it doesn't recline. It's a good chair for my needs & is pretty inexpensive compared to most power chairs...about $1500. It wouldn't work for someone who needs more back or neck support or who spends most of their time in their chair but it's fine for me & is transportable. I think a power chair is easier than an ECV for getting around in restaurants, bathrooms & shops. ECV's are fine for those who are able to park them outside & walk a little. I'm just not sure about getting on & off the busses with the chair. For some reason I don't like going down ramps with the chair. I think the tiller on the ECV makes you feel more secure...probably all in my head. Good luck making a decision...it does get confusing deciding what equipment to get. There's not one type that is best for all situations. Sorry I don't know how to post a link to my chair but you can google it.

GranJan, thank you. I'm in the same boat, my husband will be helping me with the chair and when I narrowed it down I was going to take him with me to decide. I'm just doing the upfront work now :) the chair you suggested looks interesting, I will
add it to my list. Have you traveled on a plane with your chair?

I have "customized" both of them with undercarriage lighting that is color changing - so wherever I am, I am my own Main Street Electrical Parade! -!

I'm interested in knowing just how you did this. I was just telling DH today that I wished I had cool lights under my power chair. Appreciate any advice. Thanks

GranJan, thank you. I'm in the same boat, my husband will be helping me with the chair and when I narrowed it down I was going to take him with me to decide. I'm just doing the upfront work now :) the chair you suggested looks interesting, I will
add it to my list. Have you traveled on a plane with your chair?
Not with the power chair but many times with the ECV. It's no problem. We get it tagged when we check our luggage, then I keep it until we board. I can drive it right to the plane, then with help I can make it to my seat. They bring it up when we land. You're usually the last one off, waiting for them to bring up all the strollers but we just make sure we've got plenty of time. I assume everything will go as easy with the chair though. I did read that with the type of batteries the folding chairs have, the batteries have to be removed, put in a bag & stored overhead. I think that's what I remember it saying, it's been awhile. My battery just stays in the chair when they store it.

I'm interested in knowing just how you did this. I was just telling DH today that I wished I had cool lights under my power chair. Appreciate any advice. Thanks

LOL it's fairly simple!

I found these lights on Amazon; they have a standard USB plug on them. (They are made to plug in the back of the TV and act as a backlight) I use zip ties to put them on instead of relying on the adhesive backing (I don't even peel off the backing). I make sure that they are all pointing DOWN, towards the ground. That way, there's no chance of blinding the littlest Guests in their strollers! (That's why I make sure my headlight and taillight also point downward, towards the ground, and not straight out; the littles are right down there at that level, so I am super careful to make sure I don't accidentally blind them)

Once I have them installed, I just bring along an external battery pack made to charge up iPhones, iPads, etc. and when the sun starts to go down, I plug in my lights!

I have them set on the slowest color cycle pattern - I'm always mindful of the fact that there are other Guests at WDW who have very real issues with fast lighting changes/blinking, and the last thing I would ever want to do is mess up someone else's Magic!

This is during the first time we turned it on in a dark room - it really makes a nice "glow" under Angus! (And I equipped Max with a set also; don't want anyone in my stable getting jealous! LOL)

IMG_0323.JPG

The lights are very nice! I like it. I hope it helps people to also notice you are there. We all know how guest in the park forget that others are in wheelchairs or ecv. I find that so stressful. Kids they are going to run out in front of you, adult should know better to look around but don't. So many close calls. :( I always feel like saying "I don't have breaks" or "yes I am here"

Anyhow love the lights!

LOL it's fairly simple!

I found these lights on Amazon; they have a standard USB plug on them. (They are made to plug in the back of the TV and act as a backlight) I use zip ties to put them on instead of relying on the adhesive backing (I don't even peel off the backing). I make sure that they are all pointing DOWN, towards the ground. That way, there's no chance of blinding the littlest Guests in their strollers! (That's why I make sure my headlight and taillight also point downward, towards the ground, and not straight out; the littles are right down there at that level, so I am super careful to make sure I don't accidentally blind them)

Once I have them installed, I just bring along an external battery pack made to charge up iPhones, iPads, etc. and when the sun starts to go down, I plug in my lights!
Thanks so much!

I have a Inva Care Power Wheelchair. You WILL need a lift for it. It is not like the scooters that come apart easily. That being said it is a MILLION times more comfortable (IMO) then the scooters. I have I think they call it the Captains back, arms and everything adjust so it fits me perfectly. When I had some mobility I used a scooter ,I have since lost most of my mobility due to this damn disease and upgraded to a wheelchair. A scooter is good if you spend a few hours in it, not so good if you spend most of your time in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter