Potty accidents/non toddler diaper changing areas

As a side note, if any other ASD parents have had success in regulating bowel movements and decreasing constipation, feel free to give advice here! I'm running out of ideas!
We read that mangos and mango juice helped with constipation, and it did for our daughter when we tried it. Also, in general, just increasing the liquid intake helped a lot as well. Any way that your can increase water intake or fiber will help.

My mum works in healthcare and she just spent the last 5 years taking care of a lady with advanced Alzheimer's. I have been in and out of houses with her since I was a child and with this lady she was a live in. I was at times recruited to help her (which it actually became the norm when I was there visiting) with changes if she was in the bathroom with her. For some reason she would go days w/o BMs but when brought into the restroom for a clothing change and wash up would choose to go at that moment (either on a commode chair or sometimes even standing). Anyways we had a system where she leaned her forward on the counter and I held her upright (she had almost no leg control, she could just lock her legs with support). My mum then had better access to clean her up, put on diaper rash cream, and then re-diaper her. She had me help out as it went much faster having her in this position rather than seated or laying down. As it is just a change and the BM will already be over I would try practicing at home if you can get your child to stand with his hands on the wall in place. This will ease your anxiety overall as it will be easier to move around in life and honestly its not as hard as it seems. You could even use a regular changing table as a counter for the supplies and support for him to lean on.

DS 120 lbs. we change standing up, purchase "briefs" with tabs never could figure that one out. But briefs have the side tapes, not tear away. The only place I would ever feel safe lying him down would be in the first aid station. Then again we cannot pick him up off a floor.

I know it really isn't the same, but...

I cared for my Mom for the last 5 years of her life. Her Vascular Dementia (stroke-related) would often cause "catastrophic reactions" to things that we took for common. One night, she became afraid of her poop.

I will spare you the details, but it was horrifying. Not just the logistics of the clean-up (which still haunt me to this day) but just to see someone so afraid to poop, of her poop, of what was happening as she pooped.

Luckily, we recognized the catastrophic reaction for what it was, and so we could deal with it appropriately. She was, oddly enough, able to control her urine and hold her bladder until fairly near the end, but she lost control of her bowels very suddenly and spectacularly, and never regained control.

After that night, we created potty routines that helped to prevent any further meltdowns. Some of the things we did were:

- When she had to transition to adult pull-up diaper panties, we called them "hospital panties" because the first time she wore a pair was at the ER one night. We never referred to them as anything like a diaper.
- (Re-)Taught her to sit on the toilet, and to (while seating) reach with her hands towards her toes (so that she was "doubled over"). This enabled me better access to clean her.
- Kept plenty of wipes, plastic bags, gloves - all the supplies needed - organized right next to the toilet so that one person could help her and didn't have to call for help because something needed was missing.
- When she arrived at the point where sitting on the toilet was just to clean her up and help her change into a new pair of hospital panties, we continued to treat it just as if she was going in the toilet. There was nothing to be gained by behaving any other way, so...
- Gave her a bright, clean bandana to play with in her hands every time - it kept her distracted, and kept her hands out of the toilet. I kept a basket of clean, laundered bandanas next to the toilet with the other supplies. When the bandanas were no longer effective, we tried different things: pieces of ribbon, small "Happy Meal" toys, sponge balls, anything that would hold her interest.
- We made up a "poopy song" that we sang every.single.time she went to the bathroom. As time progressed, she could no longer sing it, but we sang it anyway as part of the routine.
- We made a point to always use the same products, the same procedure, the same steps every time she toileted. If we were going to be away from the house, I had a "go" bag (pun intended!) that was stocked with products that we took with us (yes, like a diaper bag)

Obviously, a lot of these things won't apply to the OP, but if her little person could learn to sit on the potty, and then bend forward to make cleanup easier, this might make using the larger handicap stalls and companion restrooms much easier. I wouldn't want to have to lay any member of my family on the bathroom floor anywhere, and I understand the logistics of trying to clean/change someone in unfamiliar territory.

Mamabunny, that must have been so very hard. Thank you for sharing this with me, I know it can't be easy to talk about.

We have a 17 year old with DS, Autism and significant developmental delays. While he will use the bathroom at home with assistance from us he does not if he's out in an unfamiliar place, he's also non-verbal so can't tell us when he has to go. Since he travels in a wheelchair stroller we need the space and all of his stuff when taking him to the bathroom as well. We will use the companion bathrooms but as others have said the line can be long and certainly don't move fast. We find it extremely helpful to use the Nurse's Stations in the parks for changing him. You don't feel rushed, you have the beds to change them on and the Nursing staff are always so kind.

I know it really isn't the same, but...

I cared for my Mom for the last 5 years of her life. Her Vascular Dementia (stroke-related) would often cause "catastrophic reactions" to things that we took for common. One night, she became afraid of her poop.

I will spare you the details, but it was horrifying. Not just the logistics of the clean-up (which still haunt me to this day) but just to see someone so afraid to poop, of her poop, of what was happening as she pooped.

Luckily, we recognized the catastrophic reaction for what it was, and so we could deal with it appropriately. She was, oddly enough, able to control her urine and hold her bladder until fairly near the end, but she lost control of her bowels very suddenly and spectacularly, and never regained control.

After that night, we created potty routines that helped to prevent any further meltdowns. Some of the things we did were:

- When she had to transition to adult pull-up diaper panties, we called them "hospital panties" because the first time she wore a pair was at the ER one night. We never referred to them as anything like a diaper.
- (Re-)Taught her to sit on the toilet, and to (while seating) reach with her hands towards her toes (so that she was "doubled over"). This enabled me better access to clean her.
- Kept plenty of wipes, plastic bags, gloves - all the supplies needed - organized right next to the toilet so that one person could help her and didn't have to call for help because something needed was missing.
- When she arrived at the point where sitting on the toilet was just to clean her up and help her change into a new pair of hospital panties, we continued to treat it just as if she was going in the toilet. There was nothing to be gained by behaving any other way, so...
- Gave her a bright, clean bandana to play with in her hands every time - it kept her distracted, and kept her hands out of the toilet. I kept a basket of clean, laundered bandanas next to the toilet with the other supplies. When the bandanas were no longer effective, we tried different things: pieces of ribbon, small "Happy Meal" toys, sponge balls, anything that would hold her interest.
- We made up a "poopy song" that we sang every.single.time she went to the bathroom. As time progressed, she could no longer sing it, but we sang it anyway as part of the routine.
- We made a point to always use the same products, the same procedure, the same steps every time she toileted. If we were going to be away from the house, I had a "go" bag (pun intended!) that was stocked with products that we took with us (yes, like a diaper bag)

Obviously, a lot of these things won't apply to the OP, but if her little person could learn to sit on the potty, and then bend forward to make cleanup easier, this might make using the larger handicap stalls and companion restrooms much easier. I wouldn't want to have to lay any member of my family on the bathroom floor anywhere, and I understand the logistics of trying to clean/change someone in unfamiliar territory.

I know I liked your post but wanted to take a minute to thank you for posting. You went through a lot and it sounds very hard...but it also sounds like you did an amazing job. You sound like a wonderful daughter to do so much to help your mom keep her dignity and also to help her stay calm and happy during a difficult time. Thank you for taking the time to give the OP all these great ideas.

As a side note, if any other ASD parents have had success in regulating bowel movements and decreasing constipation, feel free to give advice here! I'm running out of ideas!

I have been reading a lot lately about Triphala supplements. They apparently work well toward correcting constipation issues. It's an all-natural, three-berry supplement, and Triphala has been eaten in India for thousands of years to support GI health. As far as I know, there are no contraindications except perhaps pregnant women. That said, always ask your doctor before starting anything like that.

My son is almost 50 lbs and 43 inches. We have perfected the standing change! It's not ideal and he wears over night diapers during the day that are pull ups so I have to take his shorts off to put a new one on. We always wait for the handicap stall so we have more room and I have taught him to touch his toes so I can clean him. I hate squatting down, but it's better than laying him on the floor. FYI the baby change places have tables that are big enough and some of the bathrooms have ones that are sturdy enough and I just lay him at an angle.

Treysar
I care for a couple of disabled gentlemen. For constipation issues I make a "smoothie" of peaches in heavy syrup (the heavy syrup is important) with just a tad of prune juice thrown in for good measure. Put the peaches and all the liquid in the blender, spin it to your desired thickness and TA-DA treat that helps. Hydration is very important. Water should be your first choice. Even if you don't feel thirsty, grab that water and suck it down. Your son may surprise you and be using the toilet by October. If not, cast members are very kind and helpful. Just as for any assistance you need.
Disney restaurants are amazing about food issues. Even the counter service ones. If you know the ingredients in the food he can tolerate check them against the ones Disney uses and when you find ones listed that upset his stomach you can skip them. Some restaurants may be able to modify food so your son can enjoy his meals like everyone else. Have a wonderful trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter