Poster Art of the Disney Parks Book - (First Impressions)

kcb1dizbksfan

Mouseketeer
I received the recent release of the “Poster Art of the Disney Parks” last week authored by Danny Handke and Vanessa Hunt, with an Intro by Tony Baxter.

As a published author myself of a book that was released back in 2007 and an avid Disney book collector for well over 15 years, I can appreciate the level of effort in conceiving a topic that has original thought and content and in particular one that is rich in graphics, which definitely characterizes this book.

I own the vast majority of open and limited edition books on Disney animation and history and like many collectors you purchase a “reader” copy and a second collectible copy that remains in “shrink-wrap” and kept in pristine condition. Consistent with that process, I plan on purchasing a second “collectible” copy of this book next week . . . so obviously I liked this book.

The structure of this book is primarily comprised of showing poster art and organized by individual chapters, which includes, but is not limited to: Main Street, U.S.A, Adventureland, New Orleans Square and Liberty Square, Frontierland, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Tokyo DisneySea and Disney California Adventure.

While I have a general working knowledge with the rigorous steps involved in the pre and post technical process in creating the traditional hand-drawn feature animation films (less so on the more recent computer animation CAPS and related processes), this book provided insight into “The Imagineering Guide to Screen Printing” which I found very interesting.

This is a coffee table size book and the color quality of the poster art reproductions is nothing short of excellent and reflective of very good quality control throughout the pre and post prod lifecycle of this book.

I believe the focus of this book is on displaying some rarely seen poster art and not as much on the narrative, which is what I expected prior to purchasing the book and I certainly have no shortage of Disney history memorialized within other related books in my personal library if I want to research additional context.

From an artistic perspective, creating concept art for a poster has to be a very difficult job because unlike a production animation film where you are taking one frame and perhaps creating a limited edition hand inked or production cel, with concept art you need to tell the entire story about a park attraction in that one image . . . basically you only get on shot at hitting the mark!

This book has one thumbs-up from me.

DR NYKCB (Ken)

I purchased this book in Disneyland during our last Backstage Magic Adventure.

We go to meet Vanessa Hunt during our visit to Imagineering.

The book is absolutely beautiful.

I only purchased one copy. :)

I wanted this when Kevin mentioned it on the show...Your review has me heading to look for it on amazon!

I received my copy yesterday. It is a beautiful book. I feel like placing it on the coffee table on a different page everyday.

Bright, colorful and super nice

I had pre-ordered this book on Amazon and it arrived on Tuesday.
It is a beautiful book and I want to make some time to sit and enjoy the gorgeous artwork inside! :lovestruc
It must gave been fun to meet Vanessa Hunt! :thumbsup2

Ooh I can't wait to get mine now from Amazon :-)

Don't think it's out for a while yet in the UK though....

i just received my autographed copy. it is pretty awesome to have this. after looking at it i think i have to buy another copy to try and keep this one as mint as possible

7480DAAF-001A-4583-8177-5B53294AEC22-9618-0000042E25266EB7_zps09da89cf.jpg

i just received my autographed copy. it is pretty awesome to have this. after looking at it i think i have to buy another copy to try and keep this one as mint as possible

7480DAAF-001A-4583-8177-5B53294AEC22-9618-0000042E25266EB7_zps09da89cf.jpg

I am green with envy seeing your autographed book ... I have my reader but not my collectable copy yet w/signatures. Where may I ask did you purchase your signed copy?

DR NYKCB (Ken)

Rynosaur said:

That's pretty cool. I would definitely get another copy of it for reading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter