Post Disney Blues are REAL!!!!

jsrj21

Frathouse
Been to WDW quite a bit for the last 16/17 years and it never fails....I get so down upon my return. I am pretty good at gauging or pinpointing a reason for most things but I really find myself stumped here as far as a reason for being down. When I say down, I am not talking about needing psychiatric help....but more in the way of wanting more. I've lived in the Northeast my whole life but I've been thinking about how happy a few palm trees and some sunshine make me feel.

My family and I went to visit family in Kissimmee in 2010 on Christmas day and it was cold in Orlando but the blue sky and palm trees put me in such a good mood. I am not sure if I'm just a Disney psycho, a tropical climate psycho, or if I am just ready to make a commitment to purchase some property down there like a condo or townhouse [giving me a reason to go more often]. I'm a teacher and have a ways to go to retirement but I guess it's never too early to start.

I wonder if Disney employees feel the same or if working there becomes just a job and nothing else?

Can anyone empathize with this?

The only thing I can suggest is start planning another trip, no matter how far in the future it might be. While it's still fresh on your mind, make lists of things that you intended to do this trip but didn't get around to. Then check over on the Rumors & News board to see what new attractions might be available to you on the next trip.

How's your knowledge of Disney history? If you haven't already, you should look into some bios on Walt, the history of the parks, etc. You'll view the parks with new perspective when you return. It's a pretty cool story. :earsboy:

I definitely empathize! I got back from WDW in late July and I'm already having serious withdrawl. I agree with Micca's suggestion to have another trip planned. Unfortunately for me, that's looking like in ten or 15 years!

Can anyone empathize with this?

Yes! That is why we now snowbird near Disney. We've lived in New England for over 30 years so getting tired of winter had a lot to do with it. A few years ago after coming home from a November WDW visit we decided to take advantage of the depressed housing prices and buy our future snowbird home.

My family and I went to visit family in Kissimmee in 2010 on Christmas day and it was cold in Orlando but the blue sky and palm trees put me in such a good mood.

Yup... we know just what you mean.

or if I am just ready to make a commitment to purchase some property down there like a condo or townhouse [giving me a reason to go more often].

All I can say is be careful with these thoughts. They can lead to owning property in Florida. We were blessed with the wherewithal to make it happen. Make sure the numbers would work for you before getting too caught up in the excitement.

Wishing you warm Florida thoughts.

Make sure the numbers would work for you before getting too caught up in the excitement.

Yea, totally get it. We almost took advantage when the market was great for buyers but we were buying a home here in Connecticut at the time so not feasible. We look all the time though...just have to convince the other half that it would be a good move once we hit retirement years. We were in Orlando from August 8-21 [Aug 10-21 at WDW] and we did a few things outside of the parks and drove around different areas....nothing surprised me really, you have good and not so good....just like home! I'll keep doing research and that will hopefully help this Disney withdrawal.

We were in Orlando from August 8-21 [Aug 10-21 at WDW]

What a coincidence, we were there from the 11th to the 25th! We had some things to do around the house so we decided to make a summer visit. We made a couple of trips to Disney but it was just too hot for us northerners. We'll have plenty of time to visit Disney next winter.

drove around different areas....nothing surprised me really, you have good and not so good....just like home!

We discovered the same thing. You can do a lot with Google street view but there is no substitute for driving around. We crossed a couple of neighborhoods off our list once we drove around. When the time came to buy we contacted a local realtor with high online ratings. She turned out to be excellent and was very helpful in listening to our desires and with her local knowledge steered us towards nice developments that fit our budget. Interestingly after touring a number of properties we ended up buying the property I had picked as my top choice through Zillow. But it was still worth working with the realtor. She negotiated a great deal for us.

We bought in Davenport, Polk County as we wanted to be able to do short term rentals for a few years to help offset the costs. That desire narrowed our possibilities but we feel we made a good choice.

Happy researching!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter