Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Anybody get an email about saving on buying points? They are offering 40, 45 or 50% off and I got the 50% but not sure it’s worth it to buy points still. If I use one of my Southwest credit cards to buy them, will I end up earning more points?
Yes, you'll earn Southwest points from the credit card purchase. I personally think it's worth it to buy points at 50% off if I have an upcoming trip where I want the flexibility. I've bought them at 45% off before. I've crunched the numbers and found the overall cost is slightly more to buy the points vs buying the flight, but sometimes the flexibility of the points is worth it to me.

Anybody get an email about saving on buying points? They are offering 40, 45 or 50% off and I got the 50% but not sure it’s worth it to buy points still. If I use one of my Southwest credit cards to buy them, will I end up earning more points?
Yes. Anytime I get the email about buying points, I get the 50% off - I’m almost positive I’ve never got anything less than 50%, and I always buy the points (when I choose to buy them) using my SW card so I can earn extra points.

I did this for our April trip home from Orlando. My husband and I have separate SWA accounts. I bought early bird fares for our flights on the same day which 99% of the time give us sequential boarding assignments. Our flights went on sale a few weeks ago and since it was only a $3 savings, I decided to get the sale price for just one ticket. I'll let you know after April 20th to see if it changes the EB number. :)
So, I said that I was going to run a test to see if SWA changed our Early Bird assignment if I changed our ticket for a lower priced one at some point after the original purchase. My husband and I have separate SWA accounts and I bought our tickets and added Early bird at the same time. Then some time later, prices dropped and I only changed my husband's ticket and not mine.

Well, the results are in and not very clear. We got our position assignments for tomorrow's flight and mine is A46 and my husband's is A48, so not sequential, but very close. I also purchased my EB six minutes before I purchased his, which could explain the slight gap in numbers. :)

So, I said that I was going to run a test to see if SWA changed our Early Bird assignment if I changed our ticket for a lower priced one at some point after the original purchase. My husband and I have separate SWA accounts and I bought our tickets and added Early bird at the same time. Then some time later, prices dropped and I only changed my husband's ticket and not mine.

Well, the results are in and not very clear. We got our position assignments for tomorrow's flight and mine is A46 and my husband's is A48, so not sequential, but very close. I also purchased my EB six minutes before I purchased his, which could explain the slight gap in numbers. :)
Seems to me , the price reduction did not effect your early bird if the position was that close.

Seems like most people here truly love southwest.

I booked a flight about a month ago for the end of July returning beginning of august. I do not get into Orlando until 10 at night on a Thursday. Our cruise leaves Saturday and we did want to play ant wdw on Friday. With all the setbacks Southwest has had lately I am considering changing airlines. Does anyone else have this concern?
I have more confidence in SW than I do with other airlines. We know many who have flown with other airlines (Southwest does not fly in Canada) snd if anything, the challenges they’ve faced have further enhanced my confidence with SW.

Our family drives right past our major Canadian international airport and travels an additional 90 mins to fly SW.

Has anyone used the 20% off code if you fly within 14 days and had to cancel the flight? Wondering if the code would go back on my Rapid Reward account. It doesn't expire until 2024.

Yes sounds right I had asked about this when I spoke with a SWA rep and was told my EB position would not change if I just kept my same flight and rebooked to get lower price but would have been affected if I had changed to a different flight.

I'd say this makes it clear that just re-faring your flight does not impact EB. One person definitely could have purchased EB between the two at original booking. And changing one ticket much later you would have thought the gap would be greater as others would have been likely to add it to their tickets since your original booking.

I'd say this is fairly conclusive. Thanks for checking this out for all of us!

I booked a flight, changed to a different flight, and then changed back to my original one last week. I'll see what EBCI gets me tonight, I assume I'm at the back of the line (not a huge deal because we'll have family boarding)

Has anyone used the 20% off code if you fly within 14 days and had to cancel the flight? Wondering if the code would go back on my Rapid Reward account. It doesn't expire until 2024.
I cancelled and tried to use it again for another flight. It said "error one time use". But I never used it!!! Maybe if you didn't cancel outright but changed the flight. I never got a chance to try it.>:(

Some more confirmation that changing your flight to the same one again for a price drop doesn't affect your Early Bird. I booked our flights for tomorrow right when those dates came out - paid way more than usual but took it anyway. When the price dropped a few months ago, we rebooked the same flight at the lower cost. Today, we got A21 and A22 - those have got to be associated with the original purchase, not our change just a few months ago.

I was double checking the next flight releases this morning for my December flights. I know it previously said the next flights would release May 4th. Now it says this:

We are currently accepting air reservations through November 4, 2023. Please check back frequently for our next schedule extension date.

I booked a flight, changed to a different flight, and then changed back to my original one last week. I'll see what EBCI gets me tonight, I assume I'm at the back of the line (not a huge deal because we'll have family boarding)

So this is interesting...

In December I booked a flight into TPA with EBCI

About a month ago I switched to a different flight, into MCO

Just a week ago I switched back to the original flight and we ended up with A41-A45

I was double checking the next flight releases this morning for my December flights. I know it previously said the next flights would release May 4th. Now it says this:

We are currently accepting air reservations through November 4, 2023. Please check back frequently for our next schedule extension date.
Ugh. I took some time off the morning of May 4th for this. Thanks for the heads up.

I’m kinda worried about the same dilemma for my May trip in 2 weeks. I bought WGA tickets with EBCI for our return flight and plan to upgrade with my SWA credit card. Looking at that flight now, there aren’t even any WGA seats left to purchase so I’m guessing it’s going to be a full flight and upgrading might not be an option, in which case I’m going to be real sad about it like you.
We are back now and can finally reply. We were able to get the last three seats together at the very back of the plane. It actually worked out well. Got A boarding for the return flight.

Ugh, now every morning before work I will need to stalk the site. We fly Thanksgiving week and through out the day the prices continue to rise. I always set an alarm and book as soon as they post ….. good luck …. Happy stalking the site 😁

Ugh, now every morning before work I will need to stalk the site. We fly Thanksgiving week and through out the day the prices continue to rise. I always set an alarm and book as soon as they post ….. good luck …. Happy stalking the site 😁

Why do you need to check every morning? They will announce a date eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter