Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

If SW cancels a flight due to weather and the ticket is not rebooked, do I get a refund to my credit card? Or do they just give me the credit on SW? It is a WGA+ fare.

If SW cancels a flight due to weather and the ticket is not rebooked, do I get a refund to my credit card? Or do they just give me the credit on SW? It is a WGA+ fare.

If they cancel, you can get a refund. However, if they offer you another flight (rebook you) don’t accept if you want a refund. Once you accept that new flight, you will only get a credit if you decide you don’t want that it after all.

RIght. If the flight gets cancelled, I won't be rebooking. These flights are actually for my 2 adult sons, booked and paid for by me, but with their RR numbers included. Would they automatically refund my money to my credit card, or will I have to call? I specifically booked WGA+ so the flight credit could be transferred back to me in the event of cancellation, but I'd rather have the money back on the cc.

I have flown SWA multiple times in the past ten years. Over time things have changed, with me and with them.

I have a trip booked for late April. I can squeeze into one seat but it is uncomfortable. I am also traveling with my own power wheelchair and my physical issues make it difficult to keep my knees bent for long periods of time. After reading up on SWA's person of size policies, for the first time I booked two seats. Hopefully that means I will be able to sit with the arm rest up and stretch out my legs in more positions.

But I have questions. I understand I need to email them to get the refund. What paper work do I need to make sure I have to submit? Also, do they refund to my credit card or as travel funds?

As an aside, I know the risks I am taking with my custom chair. For the past couple of years I have been relying on using wheelchair pushers at the airport and renting a chair at the destination. But the chairs you can rent do not really suit my needs the way my own chair does. My chair people sent someone to give me a lesson on how to best secure my chair for loading on the plane and said, "Take it. If they break it they pay to make it right, including a loaner chair and a full replacement if necessary."

Last edited:

Flew out of MCO yesterday morning. I had gotten signed out of the app so got no reminder to check in at T-24, finally remembered at T-14 and got C-32, immediately purchased the upgraded boarding on the app and got A15. Two years ago, something similar happened and I purchased at the counter and got A1. I think having that available online has greatly increased the usage of it. My flight down I checked in exactly at T-24 and was B32.

Southwest does not explicitly allow or prohibit seat saving. If you are trying to save an aisle seat in row 4, you're going to get pushback, trying to save a middle in row 20? Not nearly an issue. If you pay for upgraded boarding plant yourself in an aisle seat and tell the entire B group they can't have the window seat in that row, high likelihood that it's going to be an issue. It's mainly left to the individual flight attendants to do what is reasonable. Same issue with Family Boarding, some gate agents are very strict about it, others are not, and still others get rid of it all together.
Do you mind sharing how much it is to purchase the upgraded boarding? Can this be done on the app only after you've checked in?

Do you mind sharing how much it is to purchase the upgraded boarding? Can this be done on the app only after you've checked in?
The last 2 times I upgraded, coming from MCO and LAS, it was $50. Southwest says it starts at $30. My SW credit card gives me 4 upgrades per year, so no extra cost there. You upgrade on the SW app after you check in. A button will pop up allowing you to upgrade.

1674705494453.png

RIght. If the flight gets cancelled, I won't be rebooking. These flights are actually for my 2 adult sons, booked and paid for by me, but with their RR numbers included. Would they automatically refund my money to my credit card, or will I have to call? I specifically booked WGA+ so the flight credit could be transferred back to me in the event of cancellation, but I'd rather have the money back on the cc.
If SW cancels the flight they are required by law to offer you a refund to the original method of payment. I believe you can now do it online, or in your case, your sons can request it online. They don't have to make it easy, but they do have to give you the refund when you ask if they cancel.
It was $40 for an almost full flight ex-MCO. I looked on my way down and it was $50 on my way to MCO.
I did it in the app as soon as I saw the C group because I lost track of time. There was still a sign that they had upgraded boarding available at the gate too, which until 6 months ago was the only way to get it.

I bought A2 and A3 (Jackson, MS to MCO) and it was $30 each person.

Sadly the gate agent let a large group of at least 20 people board before starting the A group. Of course the people who needed assistance boarded first but one man was allowed to have his ENTIRE group board with him and there were several other families that boarded with their family member who needed assistance.

I really thought it was one person per person that needed assistance. I probably won't buy it again unless I am being reimbursed but I do not have the SW CC - looking into getting it but we have to drive 2.5hrs to closest airport that has SW.

I bought A2 and A3 (Jackson, MS to MCO) and it was $30 each person.

Sadly the gate agent let a large group of at least 20 people board before starting the A group. Of course the people who needed assistance boarded first but one man was allowed to have his ENTIRE group board with him and there were several other families that boarded with their family member who needed assistance.

I really thought it was one person per person that needed assistance. I probably won't buy it again unless I am being reimbursed but I do not have the SW CC - looking into getting it but we have to drive 2.5hrs to closest airport that has SW.
Yeah generally gate agents do not allow the whole family. SWA's policy is broad enough (meaning no hard line) that it ends up being a gate agent choice so it can happen.

It reads "In most cases, the Customer requires assistance from only one other person, and any additional family members or friends are asked to board with their assigned group." So my guess is the gate agent didn't feel like being particular that day.

On your situation though having paid at 24 hours for the leftover spots of A1-A15 I might have reached out to SWA via Messenger or Twitter. I wouldn't do it if you just purchased EBCI or Anytime Fare but anyone who purchased Business Select or paid for the Upgraded Boarding is purchasing for specific Boarding positions and would be significantly affected by allowing whole families much less multiple ones. It's not the same as connecting passengers on the plane nor just a slew of pre-boards as those are out of the control of SWA.

Yeah generally gate agents do not allow the whole family. SWA's policy is broad enough (meaning no hard line) that it ends up being a gate agent choice so it can happen.

It reads "In most cases, the Customer requires assistance from only one other person, and any additional family members or friends are asked to board with their assigned group." So my guess is the gate agent didn't feel like being particular that day.

On your situation though having paid at 24 hours for the leftover spots of A1-A15 I might have reached out to SWA via Messenger or Twitter. I wouldn't do it if you just purchased EBCI or Anytime Fare but anyone who purchased Business Select or paid for the Upgraded Boarding is purchasing for specific Boarding positions and would be significantly affected by allowing whole families much less multiple ones. It's not the same as connecting passengers on the plane nor just a slew of pre-boards as those are out of the control of SWA.
Got A18 and A19 just now. Maybe boarding will go smoother than it did a few months ago.

Last edited:
We haven’t flown on a Saturday morning/ early afternoon in years. The line to tag & drop bags was insane, so far down the hall I couldn’t see them end. I assume that’s normal now. We had business select so we’re able to use that dedicated line, only took about 10 minutes to get thru. We bought BS on opening day, got A 2 & 3. Definitely worth the price to me.

I have a flight to MCO and purchased it several months ago with EB check in. I'm looking to change my flight and leave a day early will I loose my EB place from the first flight and now be one of the last on the new flight (only a week out from leaving) OR will my place carry over from the first flight when I purchased? TIA

I have a flight to MCO and purchased it several months ago with EB check in. I'm looking to change my flight and leave a day early will I loose my EB place from the first flight and now be one of the last on the new flight (only a week out from leaving) OR will my place carry over from the first flight when I purchased? TIA
I'm not positive about the EB carryover--I don't "think" it does, but I'm no expert. BUT, if it doesn't, check the price for upgrading to business select. Pre-pandemic, I booked a last minute (two days out) flight from Nashville to New Orleans (with a VERY tight connection from the bus from Paducah, KY to Nashville). It was only $75 to upgrade. Got me the dedicated lines for checkin and security, boarding position A2, and a free drink I DESPERATELY needed after a bus ride and a mad scramble in an Uber to the airport!

You will still have EBCI but the understanding is that you will be behind those who have purchased EBCI to date for the new flight you're changing to.

We had the worst boarding positions yesterday for our flight, B51 and B52. This was checking in at the 24 hour mark. Crazy to think that many people bought EBCI.

We had the worst boarding positions yesterday for our flight, B51 and B52. This was checking in at the 24 hour mark. Crazy to think that many people bought EBCI.
Curious, is this your regular airport? Is it a hub airport?

I often think that people flying from hub airports as their first flight are at a disadvantage as others get checked in for that flight 24 hours before the first leg of there travels.

I will say I normally do the 24 hour check-in on my flight from home but purchase EBCI on the flight from MCO as I may be busier at the 24 hour mark or, unable to purchase if on a cruise.

On our recent trip we checked in at exactly 24 hours and got B46 and B47. And we aren't a hub airport. Then set an alarm to check in exactly 24 hours out while in Orlando and also got B46 and B47.

I will say I normally do the 24 hour check-in on my flight from home but purchase EBCI on the flight from MCO as I may be busier at the 24 hour mark or, unable to purchase if on a cruise.
I should have done this two weeks ago and did not. Ended up spending $40 to upgrade my boarding position at the gate because I didn't spend the $30 for EBCI when I booked.

Between all of the extra A-list, EBCI being included in Anytime fares, and how many people with WGA purchasing EBCI, EBCI has become almost a requirement for families to be sure to sit together. It's beginning to look like WGA is basic economy and buying EBCI or Anytime is Main Cabin on the legacies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter