Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I respectfully disagree here. SW website specifies that customers that may need a specific seat or boarding assistance should tell the ticket counter or gate agent.

" Our Agents are trained to ask fact-finding questions to determine if the Customer meets the qualifications described above. Those Customers who qualify for preboarding will receive a new boarding pass with a preboarding designation. "

I genuinely don't know if an eight year old that has in the past tossed on an airplane is something that SW would say is worth them having a seat next to a responsible adult. Perhaps you are right and there are enough young people flying with motion sickness that it wouldn't flag as an issue for them. Perhaps they would want a parent with that child. It's their discretion and the mechanism they have established for making that determination is to ask at the counter or the gate. If they decide that it is appropriate, they can designate us to board between A and B. If they think the kids are fine to board in their assigned positions, we will do so and be prepared to get split up. I have no intentions of demanding accommodation but I will be asking if it is appropriate in our circumstances.
I did presuppose you might have (no offense intended) brought up the seating assistance (which is pre-boarding) and that's precisely why I didn't mention it because in your situation that does not fit with what you've explained.

You keep mentioning that they could designate you board with Family Boarding but you have already said they are too old for this. I don't think you would be demanding accommodation, but asking in this specific situation puts the FA in a tight spot, unnecessarily. You're like "I'll just leave it up to the FA" except that puts them in a bind, their priority is our safety on board but unfortunately they at times get tasked with playing passenger jockey.

What you're saying is you understand you might be split up, your kids can sit alone but there's a preference to sit with an adult. Poster mentioned purchasing EBCI, you balked at that because you don't want to have to pay for it. Your situation as laid it is like many other people also flying. And also by suggesting multiple times that your family could just board with Family Boarding you're brushing off all those other passengers behind that who may have purchased EBCI (or not) who may also have reasons to have a preference to sit with someone, consideration for all is how I like to approach things personally speaking :flower3:

It's not something we should really debate back and forth. Like another poster said a long while back about a different situation, if you post on this thread about advice for SWA and you're met with advice you don't like don't just ignore said advice and decide to go rogue basically just because you didn't like what you heard. This thread is primarily for informational purposes. So informationally you were given advice on what to do:

1) Purchase EBCI to increase odds of getting a better Boarding position
2) don't fly SWA if you need seats together (in this case you've said you're fine being split up)

I really hope you have a good time at the concert, sounds like a much deserved trip, but we'll have to agree to disagree here and I'll move on :)

So informationally you were given advice on what to do:

1) Purchase EBCI to increase odds of getting a better Boarding position
2) don't fly SWA if you need seats together (in this case you've said you're fine being split up)

I agree. @TheOneWithTheTriplets, I would not rely on SWA to agree that you have special circumstances and allow you to preboard. I would make two reservations. One for you and the barfy 8-year old and another for the rest of your family. Buy the EBCI for you two and skip it for the others. Head to the back of the plane and hopefully the rest of your family will be able to sit with you.

I agree. @TheOneWithTheTriplets, I would not rely on SWA to agree that you have special circumstances and allow you to preboard. I would make two reservations. One for you and the barfy 8-year old and another for the rest of your family. Buy the EBCI for you two and skip it for the others. Head to the back of the plane and hopefully the rest of your family will be able to sit with you.

I'm lucky enough to have three barfy eight year olds, so splitting the reservation is a no go. I appreciate yours and @Mackenzie Click-Mickelson 's feedback. I'll be prepared to board as assigned and make sure the kids each know what to do if they start to feel unwell. I'm all for age appropriate independence. If SW says that barfy eight year olds are able to sit without parents, then OK, we'll give it a go.

I would not count on them to change your flight back to a non stop. I would call them today and have them change you back.
Welp, I am an idiot! I must have plugged in the wrong dates. No new direct flights on the way to MCO after all. Boo

Thanks, anyway!

Does anyone know if buying SW gift cards on SW site will trigger the SW CC credit? I’m trying to use my $75 credit before I have to pay the Annual fee. Thanks.

Just a reminder that the next schedule drop is June 16 and will go through Jan 4, 2023.

Does anyone have any guesses on when the next release date is going to be? I have a Florida trip that straddles this next release date (leaving on 1/4 and coming back on 1/10) and am trying to plan ahead.

I was JUST wondering this as we have a trip we MIGHT take in February!!!
Does anyone have any guesses on when the next release date is going to be? I have a Florida trip that straddles this next release date (leaving on 1/4 and coming back on 1/10) and am trying to plan ahead.

I'd say it's a least 2 months - so no earlier than Aug 16 most likely. But we won't know for sure until a couple weeks after the June 16 drop.

Going to be a crazy travel day on the east coast! DH had a 1 PM flight out of Reagan, SW cancelled it at 10 AM. Luckily he was able to get through on the phone and rebooked on an 11:45 AM flight, also lucky we only live 10 mins from the airport and he was all packed and ready to go. Fingers crossed it goes. Severe storms and tornado watches in western Virginia.

12:35 and they are boarded but still at the gate, didn't get out ahead of the fast moving storms. The plane is too heavy so they took off some bags and 4 people who were going to miss their connection. He has a flight on another airline tomorrow to Cozumel, he and his luggage need to get to his destination today.

Last edited:
Any idea when SW will update their flight schedules for late September into October?

Looking to switch to an earlier flight for my October trip, but don’t want to pay the extra now, knowing it will probably be changed to something else anyway.

Maybe they are waiting until after the June 16 flight release, or maybe demand for early fall flights is ambiguous and they want it to firm up before they make changes. Who knows, but the waiting is driving me nuts! 🤪

I'm sure other people have gotten them but just wanted to mention new drink coupons are being issued, we just got ones in the mail expiring May 2023..we still have our ones expiring in 2020 and 2021 we can use until the end of this year but I haven't been able to make myself want something when it's a 5am flight :laughing:

I have a credit from a past flight that says they expire on June 30, 2022. Can I use that toward flights to be taken in November 2022 or do I have to use them to purchase a flight leaving before June 30? Thanks for your help.

I have a credit from a past flight that says they expire on June 30, 2022. Can I use that toward flights to be taken in November 2022 or do I have to use them to purchase a flight leaving before June 30? Thanks for your help.
The flight has to be booked and completed before the expiration date. So, in your case, out has to be for a flight that takes off by the end of June

So I always book Southwest with flights. Because things are so high this year, I was forced to use some cash. I just acquired additional points and I am hoping to switch my cash reservation for points. Is this possible?

So I always book Southwest with flights. Because things are so high this year, I was forced to use some cash. I just acquired additional points and I am hoping to switch my cash reservation for points. Is this possible?

That can only be done as a cancel and a rebook. So your original flight money would likely go back as a flight credit, unless you booked a refundable type of fare.

I wouldn't bother unless the points/cash ratio really tips the scales. About 1.3 points per penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter