Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I understand that when using Rapid Rewards points, the person who "owns" the points must book to use those points. How would this work for my child's points? Do I simply book under his name and then use my credit card?

I believe you are correct. You'll need to book the flight from your child's account and then pay the tax or balance with your credit card. A friend of mine has had good luck calling them to work out booking flights using points from multiple RR accounts (hers, DH and her children). She said the team from SW was very kind and helpful on the phone.

Is there somewhere on the SW site where I can see my available credits from price drops on our flights?

edit: NVM, I found it.

Related question...our flight to MCO for President's week has gone down $20 pp. So we can receive $80 in credit with a change. However, the expiration of the credit would be a week after the flight (it was changed from an August flight that was originally booked last February). Therefore, there is really no way we can make use of the credits. So it appears we should leave it as is, and at least earn more points on the flight. Unless there is something we're missing...anyone have any thoughts on what we could do?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I anticipate earning the companion pass in the next couple of months and I have a booking question if you'll indulge me:

Four of us are traveling in April and I'm planning on booking our flights using Rapid Rewards points. I'm hoping that the companion pass gets earned in time for using for April travel, in which case I believe that I'll need to cancel the companion's booked flight and re-book as a companion...will I need to cancel mine as well then re-book? Or would I need to cancel the entire reservation and re-book? In that case I think I'd be better off booking two and two and not having all four on the same reservation/confirmation, correct?

Anyone know how this works? I just want to do it as cleanly as possible so it isn't a huge hassle or a huge increase in points if I get the companion pass in time.

Many thanks!

Hello everyone,

I anticipate earning the companion pass in the next couple of months and I have a booking question if you'll indulge me:

Four of us are traveling in April and I'm planning on booking our flights using Rapid Rewards points. I'm hoping that the companion pass gets earned in time for using for April travel, in which case I believe that I'll need to cancel the companion's booked flight and re-book as a companion...will I need to cancel mine as well then re-book? Or would I need to cancel the entire reservation and re-book? In that case I think I'd be better off booking two and two and not having all four on the same reservation/confirmation, correct?

Anyone know how this works? I just want to do it as cleanly as possible so it isn't a huge hassle or a huge increase in points if I get the companion pass in time.

Many thanks!

You will be able to add a companion to your ticket you've already booked. There will be a little link "add companion" and it's a pretty easy process (at least as easy as most things on Southwest!). When you book on points each ticket will get its own reservation number so no need to do separate bookings.

For now I would book the companion ticket on points and then cancel once you earn the pass. In the odd event that the flight was sold out when you finally earn the CP then you could call in and have them switch it through customer service but the cancel and rebook option is much easier if it is still possible (which it likely will be).

When you go to book 3 or 4 tickets all at once I'd advise you search 1 at a time too just to make sure that the price doesn't increase on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th ticket. Sometimes Southwest only has 1 ticket left at a price and if you search for 4 you will pay the higher price (or points) on all tickets.

Last edited:
Is there somewhere on the SW site where I can see my available credits from price drops on our flights?

edit: NVM, I found it.

Related question...our flight to MCO for President's week has gone down $20 pp. So we can receive $80 in credit with a change. However, the expiration of the credit would be a week after the flight (it was changed from an August flight that was originally booked last February). Therefore, there is really no way we can make use of the credits. So it appears we should leave it as is, and at least earn more points on the flight. Unless there is something we're missing...anyone have any thoughts on what we could do?

Yeah - you've hit the nail on the head here. If you can't use the credit then I'd at least earn the extra few points. It's good you're on top of the expiration date on this - some people don't realize or understand how it works and lose out on both fronts!

You will be able to add a companion to your ticket you've already booked. There will be a little link "add companion" and it's a pretty easy process (at least as easy as most things on Southwest!). When you book on points each ticket will get its own reservation number so no need to do separate bookings.

For now I would book the companion ticket on points and then cancel once you earn the pass. In the odd event that the flight was sold out when you finally earn the CP then you could call in and have them switch it through customer service but the cancel and rebook option is much easier if it is still possible (which it likely will be).

When you go to book 3 or 4 tickets all at once I'd advise you search 1 at a time too just to make sure that the price doesn't increase on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th ticket. Sometimes Southwest only has 1 ticket left at a price and if you search for 4 you will pay the higher price (or points) on all tickets.

Many thanks!!!

Hoping someone can help with this question: I just purchased airfare this past Dec. 8th for a trip in June. Well, now I might have to have some surgery in June, so might not be able to take the trip. If/when I cancel the flights, I am confused to when I can use the credit. Is it one year from Dec. 8th when I initially bought the airfare or is it one year from when I cancel? And does the airfare have to take place within that year, or just be purchased and the actual flights can be outside of the one year window? Thanks for the help.

Hoping someone can help with this question: I just purchased airfare this past Dec. 8th for a trip in June. Well, now I might have to have some surgery in June, so might not be able to take the trip. If/when I cancel the flights, I am confused to when I can use the credit. Is it one year from Dec. 8th when I initially bought the airfare or is it one year from when I cancel? And does the airfare have to take place within that year, or just be purchased and the actual flights can be outside of the one year window? Thanks for the help.

The credit is good through Dec 8th. You must complete all air travel by then.

Anyone else seem to notice that SW raised prices across the board by $3?

Anyone else seem to notice that SW raised prices across the board by $3?

This happens from time to time. I've seen them do it by $3 and by $5. Sometimes they go back down after awhile. Other times they just stay up.

Here is an article on it - citing an industry-wide price increase. http://www.ibtimes.com/airline-fare...sign-first-industrywide-increase-june-2250086

What seems odd to me is that prices on various carriers on identical routes are never the same and they all change prices on routes at various times so the $3 across the board seems weird. I'm fascinated with airfare changes and would love to see behind the scenes on how this all works, it has to be a complex system with a lot of variables.

I am waiting for the schedule to open for August 16, which should be in Feb. Anyway, I've noticed that currently, SW only has non stops from PHL to MCO at 5:30 and 11:45 AM! You would think in the busy summer months (the schedule is open thru Aug. 6 I believe) they would have more non stops in the AM. My question is, does anyone have any sense that they will have more non stops when they open their schedule past August 6? I was hoping to get a time between 7:30 and 10 so we have enough parktime on arrival day. Not willing to take the 5:30 AM though as we would be zombies by lunchtime! Thanks

I am waiting for the schedule to open for August 16, which should be in Feb. Anyway, I've noticed that currently, SW only has non stops from PHL to MCO at 5:30 and 11:45 AM! You would think in the busy summer months (the schedule is open thru Aug. 6 I believe) they would have more non stops in the AM. My question is, does anyone have any sense that they will have more non stops when they open their schedule past August 6? I was hoping to get a time between 7:30 and 10 so we have enough parktime on arrival day. Not willing to take the 5:30 AM though as we would be zombies by lunchtime! Thanks

We just booked for July from PHL and also were taken aback by the limited choices in the morning for nonstop flights. In the end, we went with the 5:30 am flight because even though it will be early, we would rather that than not arriving until 2:30 in the afternoon. Also, in the many times we have flown SW from PHL in July before (even just last year), the times were similar. So, last year our flight left at 5:45 am which we chose over a time closer to 11:00 am.

I would not be confident that there will be more nonstop flights available between 7:30 and 10:00, but here's hoping for you!

We just booked for July from PHL and also were taken aback by the limited choices in the morning for nonstop flights. In the end, we went with the 5:30 am flight because even though it will be early, we would rather that than not arriving until 2:30 in the afternoon. Also, in the many times we have flown SW from PHL in July before (even just last year), the times were similar. So, last year our flight left at 5:45 am which we chose over a time closer to 11:00 am.

I would not be confident that there will be more nonstop flights available between 7:30 and 10:00, but here's hoping for you!

Thanks for a recent experience. Haven't flown in the summer for a few years. DH and I go in the fall for F&WF but we're going with the kids and grandkids this time and since we have to deal with school schedules, we have to go in August. Maybe I'll have a meeting with them and discuss whether we can do the 5:30 AM

Thanks for a recent experience. Haven't flown in the summer for a few years. DH and I go in the fall for F&WF but we're going with the kids and grandkids this time and since we have to deal with school schedules, we have to go in August. Maybe I'll have a meeting with them and discuss whether we can do the 5:30 AM

I guess I should include the detail that when I say "we" flew at 5:45 am last summer, it was just me and my husband - no kids. So, no worrying about "cranky kids" who need a nap...just my husband! :tongue:

But, since we knew we would be starting so early, we planned accordingly and we took a leisurely approach to our first day. After arrival, we dropped our bags at Guest Services (because it was too early for our room to be ready), hopped on the bus to Downtown Disney (it was still named this last July!), grabbed lunch at Earl of Sandwich, and did some shopping . By the time we got back from lunch, our room was ready so we took a nap before heading out to Ft. Wilderness for Hoop Dee Doo at 8:30 pm. I was initially worried about such a late dinner, but it worked out better than I thought. The nap was key...and I am not usually one who naps!

I guess I should include the detail that when I say "we" flew at 5:45 am last summer, it was just me and my husband - no kids. So, no worrying about "cranky kids" who need a nap...just my husband! :tongue:

But, since we knew we would be starting so early, we planned accordingly and we took a leisurely approach to our first day. After arrival, we dropped our bags at Guest Services (because it was too early for our room to be ready), hopped on the bus to Downtown Disney (it was still named this last July!), grabbed lunch at Earl of Sandwich, and did some shopping . By the time we got back from lunch, our room was ready so we took a nap before heading out to Ft. Wilderness for Hoop Dee Doo at 8:30 pm. I was initially worried about such a late dinner, but it worked out better than I thought. The nap was key...and I am not usually one who naps!

Haha its not the kids I'm worried about being cranky! If we went that early, I would plan as you did except we would have to go to the MK at least for a few hours as its the grandkids' first time, but we would be back early for naps/swimming and a leisurely evening!

We usually fly out of ISP (Long island, NY), although we're actually driving down to PHL to fly to MCO next month as prices were about half of what they were/are from ISP. They have reduced the number of flights between ISP and MCO by about 60% or more from a handful of years ago. They used to have a flight around 10am, but no more. So like you we have been taking those painfully early flights around 6am rather than arrive in the late afternoon and lose most of the day. I wouldn't be surprised if it is similar at PHL and most other northeast airports. It's the general trend of the industry. I believe there has been a lot of collusion (let's see if the gov't investigation leads to anything - I don't have my hopes up) to keep prices high and a big part of that has been eliminating flights on "leisure/vacation" routes, and re-deploying the planes on mostly "business traveler" routes.

If a flight is sold out when you go to book the companion pass you will not be able to book a companion pass ticket. There has to be availability of the flight in order to book a CP ticket. I ran into this when I was trying to book a CP ticket on a sold out flight.

If a flight is sold out when you go to book the companion pass you will not be able to book a companion pass ticket. There has to be availability of the flight in order to book a CP ticket. I ran into this when I was trying to book a CP ticket on a sold out flight.

Which is exactly why I gave very specific instructions in the post you quoted on how to handle that:

"For now I would book the companion ticket on points and then cancel once you earn the pass. In the odd event that the flight was sold out when you finally earn the CP then you could call in and have them switch it through customer service but the cancel and rebook option is much easier if it is still possible (which it likely will be)."

Basically: book now on points in case it sells out - then you can still use your CP by calling in.
If it doesn't sell out just cancel and re-book online

ETA: You can only switch a points flight to a companion flight. Cash won't work from what I've read on Flyer Talk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter