Possible lunch option for HS day

SouthernSoprano

Livin' the Dream....and Beating Breast Cancer!
I read on another thread somewhere that a possible option for lunch on our HS day would be going to 'nearby' Boardwalk or Beaches & Cream. As most know, QS is pretty bleak at HS, and we have a really nice dinner (805p) at Yachtsman that night. So I'd like to know how 'nearby' is Beaches & Cream? I saw a lunch reservation there but wanted to ask if it would be close enough or easy enough to even be worth it.
I'm basically looking for how much trouble it would be to leave HS, eat at B&C, then return to HS for a few more hours before we head to dinner. Anyone actually done it?
Thanks!

We always stay at Beach Club, so when we leave HS for the day in the afternoon, we walk back. It's a good walk, but not too far if you don't mind walking. The boat is an easy alternative, but takes longer. We've left on foot at the exact same time that the boat pulls out of the dock, and we've gotten there before it. If you REALLY don't want to eat at any HS locations, I would say it's not too big a hassle. But, if I were planning on going back to HS, I don't know that I think the QS options are so bad that I'd want to leave. Just my $.02. We love Beaches and Cream!

We were just there and we walked over from Hollywood studios , it took about 20 minutes but beaches and cream was wonderful ! We also had a dinner reservation around 830 at Epcot . We thought we might just get ice cream but I was hungry for food . my husband and I split the seafood salad sandwich whatever that is called , and this might sound ridiculous but it was the best thing I had all week ! We then shared an ice cream but we were still hungry for dinner .. The kids ate and had ice cream too I can't remember what they had .. but we did pay out-of-pocket it wasn't bad at all .
I think the only thing crazy is if you get the kitchen sink ..
Reservations are far and few between because it's so small in there so if I were you I would grab it then if you change your mind you can cancel .. have a great trip ,I want to go again !

We always stay at Beach Club, so when we leave HS for the day in the afternoon, we walk back. It's a good walk, but not too far if you don't mind walking. The boat is an easy alternative, but takes longer. We've left on foot at the exact same time that the boat pulls out of the dock, and we've gotten there before it. If you REALLY don't want to eat at any HS locations, I would say it's not too big a hassle. But, if I were planning on going back to HS, I don't know that I think the QS options are so bad that I'd want to leave. Just my $.02. We love Beaches and Cream!

We've just found HS lacking in QS food options. Trying to think outside the box for a good lunch somewhere close by, so when I saw it mentioned elsewhere, I thought 'hey we've not been there before?'. So I think we're going to try it out...as long as I can still get that res. ;)

We've just found HS lacking in QS food options. Trying to think outside the box for a good lunch somewhere close by, so when I saw it mentioned elsewhere, I thought 'hey we've not been there before?'. So I think we're going to try it out...as long as I can still get that res. ;)
I totally understand - the HS options are definitely our least favorite selection! Like I said, we love Beaches & Cream, I'm sure you'll have fun!

I agree that the QS choices at DHS aren't the best. We've enjoyed lunch at the Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge. It has a nice selection of small plates including the Cobb Salad. It doesn't take reservations, but it doesn't have a lot of tables so you might have to wait.

B&C is very close to Yachtsman Steakhouse so if you are going there for dinner, I don't think I would leave DHS to go to B&C, return to DHS and then leave to go to Yachtsman.

You could also try lunch at the Swolfin (Swan/Dolphin), which is a slightly shorter walk from DH. They have several options there, even at lunch (more during dinner). We recently ate at the Fountain (in Dolphin, IIRC), which wasn't the greatest meal but was hand over fist better than counter service!

Have you tried Starring Rolls sandwiches? This is a QS option I enjoy in comparison to not just HS locations, but WDW QS options.
Also, love Starring Rolls!!!!! Great breakfast options and the sandwiches are huge! Plus the cupcakes.... YUM!!!!

According to Google Maps the walk from Hollywood Studios to Yacht Club is 1.1 miles, which sounds about right. Link - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dis...bc32a34322!2m2!1d-81.5574052!2d28.3695254!3e2

We've made the walk a handful of times and taken the boat many more times. The walk is on a concrete path along a waterway and is pleasant, but if it is 90+ degrees like it can be at Disney may not be too fun. I'd say that the boat ride is a bit quicker (I walked it once while the family was in the boat and had to walk fast to keep up), is enjoyable (you can usually find a seat but sometimes have to stand), and of course you aren't walking another mile on top of all the walking you do at Disney anyway. The boat runs pretty regularly during the day -- I think the longest we've waited for a boat is about 10 minutes or so. It makes a couple of stops before it drops you off at the Yacht Club dock and it is a very short walk from the dock to Beaches & Cream. If you haven't been in that area before it is a nice place to visit (Boardwalk is right there too). You are probably looking at a couple of hours for travel and lunch, which isn't too bad. If you can get a reservation around noon you could leave HS around 11:30 and be back by 1:30.

IMO, Beaches & Cream is too far to walk to from DHS. You have to take the path all the way past the Boardwalk I believe. You can take the friendship boat, but that's about a 20 minute commute plus the time it takes to wait for one. Beaches & Cream is very good, but we will only do it on a day we have no plans or on our Epcot day, since it's a relatively quick walk from Epcot.

I agree that the QS options at DHS suck, but I do think they have two really good TS options. We love 50s Prime Time and Sci Fi Dine In. If you were interested in the menu at Beaches & Cream, either of these would be a good option - especially Sci Fi where they have similar burgers and sandwich fare. Plus both of their themes are so unique.

IMO, Beaches & Cream is too far to walk to from DHS. You have to take the path all the way past the Boardwalk I believe. You can take the friendship boat, but that's about a 20 minute commute plus the time it takes to wait for one. Beaches & Cream is very good, but we will only do it on a day we have no plans or on our Epcot day, since it's a relatively quick walk from Epcot.

I agree that the QS options at DHS suck, but I do think they have two really good TS options. We love 50s Prime Time and Sci Fi Dine In. If you were interested in the menu at Beaches & Cream, either of these would be a good option - especially Sci Fi where they have similar burgers and sandwich fare. Plus both of their themes are so unique.
You don't really go "past" Boardwalk (although you do go past the entrance to Boardwalk) -- Beaches & Cream is essentially across from the midway point of Boardwalk, immediately behind Storm Along Bay. The walk to Beaches from DHS is perhaps 1-2 minutes longer than the walk to the entrance of Yacht Club. In any event it is about 20 minutes give or take a minute or two, but some people certainly don't want to make that walk.

You don't really go "past" Boardwalk (although you do go past the entrance to Boardwalk) -- Beaches & Cream is essentially across from the midway point of Boardwalk, immediately behind Storm Along Bay. The walk to Beaches from DHS is perhaps 1-2 minutes longer than the walk to the entrance of Yacht Club. In any event it is about 20 minutes give or take a minute or two, but some people certainly don't want to make that walk.

Sorry, I just meant the resort.

I don't think I'd want to go back and forth to YC twice in one day from HS (and I stay there most trips). I'd either try something at Swan/Dolphin, BW or grab something at HS. The options aren't great but they aren't as bad as some make it out to be. We don't mind Backlot Express and Fairfax Faire often has something we can eat. If you are eating a big supper, you probably don't want a huge lunch anyway. Try the Hollywood Brown Derby walk up outside location. No ADRs required, it's only outside seating and have a pretty good menu.

It depends how tired you are. It's a decent walk but doable. If you can get a reservation I'd say its worth it, because I love Beaches and Cream (especially their grilled cheese, and grilled banana bread with hot fudge added). That being said, if you dont mind QS, Backlot Express has reasonable options. Their BBQ burger (cant remember what it's called) isnt bad. My roommate works there so maybe i'm bias, but they have your basic QS stuff (plus waffles if youre into that, and a good vader cupcake). It depends whether better food is worth the time/energy it takes to travel.

It depends how tired you are. It's a decent walk but doable. If you can get a reservation I'd say its worth it, because I love Beaches and Cream (especially their grilled cheese, and grilled banana bread with hot fudge added). That being said, if you dont mind QS, Backlot Express has reasonable options. Their BBQ burger (cant remember what it's called) isnt bad. My roommate works there so maybe i'm bias, but they have your basic QS stuff (plus waffles if youre into that, and a good vader cupcake). It depends whether better food is worth the time/energy it takes to travel.

I dont think that you are biased, We like the Backlot Express.

OP- I would not leave for lunch. Instead I would look for alternatives inside DHS> We do like Backlot Express, and have never had bad food there. I guess before I left the park for lunch I would need to decide how much time in the park I was willing to give up in order to eat at B&C. I would give up none, because I thought it was just okay. Other people would disagree. I think you need to allocate at least an hour in travel time if you plan to return to DHS< with 30 minutes each way. And then your meal, which now depends on how long you wil wait to be seated. This is a small restaurant so if they run behind, so will you.

We also like backlot express for a quick lunch. I think it has improved. Will try Starring Rolls next trip, have heard it is good. We also like SciFi.

Someone mentioned The Fountain in Swan/Dolphin. It's closer. Standard diner themed food, but done a little better. It's pretty decent. First stop on the Friendship Boat. Can't use DDP at any of the Swolphin restos, though. SO if you were looking to use credits - no can do there.

If you are going back to HS you're talking about taking a good 2+ hours out of your day for lunch between walk (it's not just to B&C, it's to the front of the park from wherever you happen to be), waiting to be seated and actually having lunch. IMO not worth it. It's a great option if you are planning to take a real break and are at that resort or going to Epcot in the evening... but I would not want to put all of that travel time into lunch. I would check out some of the HS options for CS, they have been making changes to the menus and both backlot express and abc commissary are getting better reviews. Or make an ADR at Sci Fi, it has basically the same food at B&C without leaving the park. Or the lounges as suggested above, that is on my bucket list for a child free tip someday!

Sci Fi is my favorite lunch spot though... the wings were great. I shared the steak with my kid but we were on the DDP, I'd be more inclined to share something else or just get appetizers with a shake and let him order off the kid menu if not. Both it and 50's PT are great places for sharing IMO, which allows you to get a lighter lunch in with the benefit of TS.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter