• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Two [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When free dining is offered, are the Royal Rooms excluded? I know that the Little Mermaid rooms are at AoA, so I suspect the Royal Rooms are as well due to their limited number and popularity but I wanted to double check. Thanks!!

I have a Royal Room booked at POR in September with free dining! I called at 7:00 am on the day free dining in September was offered to the general public. Can't wait!

We are considering the Alligator Bayou for our 2014 trip. We are overall fine with not having any fancy views and are not too worried about the distance as we will have our own vehicle to get around if need be. Our only concern is noise. Of the buildings, are there any that would be considered more noisy(bumped up to roads, etc?) I expect that after a day at the parks, we will be too tired to notice anything, but DH has voiced this concern.

We are considering the Alligator Bayou for our 2014 trip. We are overall fine with not having any fancy views and are not too worried about the distance as we will have our own vehicle to get around if need be. Our only concern is noise. Of the buildings, are there any that would be considered more noisy(bumped up to roads, etc?) I expect that after a day at the parks, we will be too tired to notice anything, but DH has voiced this concern.

The entire resort is amazingly quiet.

I have stayed every level; even at standard view facing the parking lot there is no issue. We would hang out each morning and sit outside, since we had five adults and three kids in two rooms; it took some time to get ready.

Even when the staff is dropped off in the morning, they are very respectful of everyone's privacy and people who want to sleep in. None of the buildings are really directly on the road - you can see the map on the front page of this thread.

If you try to upgrade to a river view once up arrive do you forfeit your free dining? Just curious...we had river view but went to pool view so we could be in oak manor.

You are basically starting a new reservation; and you will lose free dining.

You can certainly request to upgrade when you check in, but most likely they will quote you the difference to upgrade and it won't be with free dining. I am curious as to why you went from Riverview to Pool View to get to Oak Manor; both Parterre Place and Oak Manor have those categories. You don't get a specific building with a booking category - you could be in either building.

Sorry! I deleted this post from the old thread, I didn't realize it was full. I find my threads by going into my post from my profile and didn't see the new one. :blush:

--

We are back from our stay 5/18-5/25....

This was my first time at POR and other then the horrible bus ride back and forth to MK that I posted about before, our stay was very nice and quiet...Walking was difficult at times but I expected it.

As I said, I faxed a request in about 5 days before asking for either AB bldg 16 or 17 bottom floor, OR Magnolia Terrace, any floor. I ended up with AB #17, bottom floor, and even got upgraded from Standard to Garden. This was our view walking out the door:

It was a beautiful resort. The food court area could be bigger, it got really crowded ordering food. The bus situation I had was a disaster, so eventually any time a bus didn't go to South first, we started to get off at East. I was paranoid from then on and it took too long riding all the way around anyway. For those who missed my post, a MK bus went to the E/N/W stops and skipped South with no announcement and made my family ride back to the MK. I report her and requested an update from the Bus Manager, and have heard NOTHING by the way. :rolleyes2

The main pool was a bit small and crowded...The Quiet pools were decent sized for extra pools, but also got pretty crowded as well.

The food at the resort was good. My kids got to be Jr Chef's and decorated cookies one evening which they really enjoyed. While we were walking out to the car to leave, a CM stopped me (he was in a golf cart) and asked if we were leaving. When I told him I was he handed me two wands from CRT (at least that is what was printed on them). That was nice. My kids loved them.

The resort was real quiet, we were never bothered with outside noise like at the All Stars. Didn't hear anyone upstairs either. We were in room 1708. We did get Birthday Buttons at check-in (I remember someone saying they were told they didn't do that there). Both front desk girls I dealt with (at check in and when complaining about the bus ride) were very friendly. :)

From walking around the resort, I preferred the look of AB over Mansions...I originally thought I'd feel the other way, but I loved the nature look of AB...We saw a couple bunnies too.

Sooo who has done online check in lately? I just did ours at around 53 days out. I thought there were more room requests that you could add. I could only pick: corner, highest floor, ground floor. I thought maybe you could request a building, or a section. I guess not. Is that normal? Only 4 little boxes you can check?

Sooo who has done online check in lately? I just did ours at around 53 days out. I thought there were more room requests that you could add. I could only pick: corner, highest floor, ground floor. I thought maybe you could request a building, or a section. I guess not. Is that normal? Only 4 little boxes you can check?

You need to call CRO to add any request beyond the boxes on the online check-in.

As I said, I faxed a request in about 5 days before asking for either AB bldg 16 or 17 bottom floor, OR Magnolia Terrace, any floor. I ended up with AB #17, bottom floor, and even got upgraded from Standard to Garden.

Did they upgrade you on their own or did you asked to be upgraded? Did you have to pay for it? I have heard that they will upgrade you for free some times, but I don't even know how to go about asking them about this?

That's all that was there when I did online check-in. If you want to make specific request (building number) you should call and have it added to your reservation and fax your request in just before your vacation, 3-5 days out.

The June 2013 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules for Port Orleans Riverside are now available. See my main Recreation Activities Schedule page for full-size PDF versions, or click on the image below.

The outdoor movies will start at 9pm and the daily campfires commence at 7pm this month.

Andre

ohnowewontgo said:

Normally online check-in is not for requests, it should be on your ressie. Also, the requests have been very vague like you mentioned. Make sure your requests are on your ressie and do not pick them off the online check-in, if they are important to you.

disneybound2010 said:
Did they upgrade you on their own or did you asked to be upgraded? Did you have to pay for it? I have heard that they will upgrade you for free some times, but I don't even know how to go about asking them about this?

If you ask, you will be quoted the cost to upgrade and you could lose your discounts. CM's prefer to sprinkle the pixie dust as a surprise, not an expectation by the customer.

Upgrades are done at the discretion and convenience of the resort and the issues are beyond your control.

In addition, Disney got very savvy a few years ago and created booking categories based on requests, especially at the moderates. People are going to pay for the higher booking categories, so do not expect it for free.

Can I put in a request to move from POFQ to Riverside when we get there? We have free dining and POR is sold out.

Also, can we upgrade to a deluxe during our stay? Ie ask to move for the last 3 nights?

At Port Orleans you MIGHT get lucky and they may be able to do this for you without changing your booking (which would lose your free dining), but officially the answer is no. However as they are sister resorts it's possible that a nice CM might be able to work something out for you with the room inventory team. Please don't count on it though, as it probably won't happen.

Switching to a completely different resort; if there is availability you can do it, but at rack rate and without the dining plan.

Maybe a silly question, and I think the answer may be no, but if you have booked a pool view room (+$25 night), can you request a preferred room (+$25 night) instead of a pool view?

Yes, that is a valid request. There are six Pool View rooms in Alligator Bayou 18 which come under the Pool View booking category, not Preferred Location. So ask away and keep your fingers crossed.

Since the Royal Rooms have come out and 2 mansion buildings are solely dedicated to these rooms now, have there been people getting surprise upgrades to Royal Rooms? I'd imagine this would / will happen during times those rooms are low in bookings?

I won't say it's never happened, but it's not very common. However the room assignment team do like to spread a little extra unexpected pixie dust if they can, so if there's some special occasion for your visit, or little princesses in your party, let the resort know how much they are looking forward to their magical visit, etc.

My husband wants to know if you need a Florida fishing license to fish at Riverside.

Nope, you just need to pay Disney money. :)

Hey guys
My DH will have rent scooter while at WDW because of leg problems. During the night time where can the scooter stay? I think it will take uo to much space in our room. Maybe if we asked for a handicapped room. Any thoughts.

Handicapped rooms can be specifically booked, and the fully wheelchair accessible ones do provide a little extra space which makes storage of chairs/ECVs a bit easier. Contact the special assistance line (details in the first post) for help with that.

Does anyone know if the do dayroom rates? We have an evening flight and would like to keep the room until 4pm. Was wondering if for like 50$ you can keep the room. Also what is the latest, late checkout they'll give if possible

No, they don't do day rates, sorry. You might get a free 1pm checkout though if the room is not urgently needed for another guest. I've a feeling someone once mentioned a 50% rate for staying on until 6pm, but I've never heard of that actually happening. You can still use all the facilities (including the pool) on your checkout day though, and there is a shower and changing room near the main pool.

If you try to upgrade to a river view once up arrive do you forfeit your free dining? Just curious...we had river view but went to pool view so we could be in oak manor.

I assume you have a Royal Room booking? You can ask for an upgrade if one happens to be available, but there are no guarantees. If they do give you a pixie dust upgrade then you won't lose your free dining. However your room could be in either Oak Manor or Parterre Place (but then that applies to Pool View too, just the odds are somewhat better for you to get Oak Manor).

We are planning to try out the campfire while we are there... should I bring bug spray? I know WDW is good about spraying, but we usually travel in December so I'm not sure what to expect.

No more so than for any other activity around the resort.

For anyone who has been in 38, how long of a walk is it to the food court?

It's really not too far at all from a River View room in 38 back to the food court - maybe 5 minutes tops. You could always request buildings 14 or 27 by preference though, which are even closer.

Andre

You ever had a rough day that you think just squishes your brain and makes you feel exhausted and chopped up? :duck:

I popped in here to read about POR and have a pick-me-up for today. We have months before we get there. But, one of the bright spots is reading this thread and getting more information. AND, as a bonus, I checked my ADR calendar and next week I get to call in!! :yay:

Did you book Preferred or get upgraded? We'll be in AB and hoping for a good location!

We booked a river view room. My understanding is that king rooms and river rooms are in their own booking category and some of those rooms happen to be in the preferred buildings.

Does anyone have any pictures of the view from "river view" rooms in the AB?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phoebec said:
Does anyone have any pictures of the view from "river view" rooms in the AB?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can look on allearsnet.com or this site or andre's website. Look at an AB room and if you can see the river, you got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter