• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
michi-gan said:
Riverside to Animal Kingdom Lodge??? Bus available? Best way when using Disney transportation? Thanks.

No direct buses from resort to resort. You can take a bus or water taxi to Downtown Disney from Riverside and catch a bus to AKL from there. It would be quicker to get a cab. Prices are pretty reasonable.

The carriage ride wasn't $45 per person, must be a typo.

You are incorrect, it is a total of $45 plus tip for the trip, not per person. The Carriage ride won't cost you $180.
The cost is $45 including tax for the 25-minute ride and the carriage can hold up to four adults, or three adults and two small children (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult). You should arrive at the marina area no later than 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time and wait for the carriage to collect you. The service may be cancelled in cases of inclement weather.

I knew I wasn't crazy. Look at this link. Roll your mouse over the little blue "i" next to the price $45. This is the official Disney web site.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/carriage-rides/

Quoted from http://portorleans.org/recreation.php:

"•Reservations are recommended and can be made up to 180 days in advance on 1-407-WDW-PLAY (1-407-939-7529). A credit card is required to confirm but this will only be charged for no-shows or cancellations at less than 24-hours notice.
•Guests wishing to check on same-day availability may call 1-407-824-2832, and walk-up guests will be accepted at the departure location if there is no pre-booked reservation for that time slot."

Thank you

But, if you take a closer look, it's $45 PER PERSON!!!

Erm, how do you work that out from:
The cost is $45 including tax for the 25-minute ride and the carriage can hold up to four adults, or three adults and two small children (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult).
To clarify (which I didn't think needed doing) it is $45 per carriage ride, not per person.

Edit: Just seen your later message. I can't currently get to that page on the WDW website at moment (or indeed any of the pages on the US site at all) as the international forced-redirect is totally messed up and they don't seem terribly interested in fixing it just now. :( However it wouldn't be the first time that something was wrong on the Disney site; I've been saying for many years that the Colonel's Cotton Mill nomenclature went away along with Dixie Landings in 2001, but even according to the new website, when I could see it, the main building is still called that.

Going back to the horse and carriage ride. I really would like to book one but was wondering if anyone knows of or where to find information about the horses and how they're kept/treated.

As has already been said, Disney treats their animals very well. The horses only work during the cooler times of the day (around 6pm-9pm at POR) and they even get a half-hour break in the middle of that slot. The route is a very gentle amble for a horse of that size, and the drivers appear to care a great deal for their charges. I wouldn't worry about any New York style mistreatment.

Andre

andrewilley said:
The cost is $45 including tax for the 25-minute ride and the carriage can hold up to four adults, or three adults and two small children (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult).
To clarify (which I didn't think needed doing) it is $45 per carriage ride, not per person.

Andre

I think the OP got that from the disney website which says $45 but when you click the little circle i it says price is per person. I guess it should be no surprise to anyone that Disney's own website is once again incorrect.

Andre

While I believe you are right from my POR recollections, when you click the I next to the price on the site it does say $45 per person taxes not included.

First off, thanks for mentioning the coffee makers in the rooms. I had already packed ground coffee and filters assuming they still had the older machines. Now those are 2 less things I need to pack!

Concerning the carriage ride, are you supposed to tip? I thought the $45 price tag would include that. :confused3

Silly question...Do they have towels at the pools? We have only stayed at Values (which do not) and DVC (which does) We have never stayed at a mod.

Edit: Just seen your later message. I can't currently get to that page on the WDW website at moment (or indeed any of the pages on the US site at all) as the international forced-redirect is totally messed up and they don't seem terribly interested in fixing it just now. :( However it wouldn't be the first time that something was wrong on the Disney site; I've been saying for many years that the Colonel's Cotton Mill nomenclature went away along with Dixie Landings in 2001, but even according to the new website, when I could see it, the main building is still called that.

Andre

Yes, that is exactly where I got it! Disney's OWN site!! Haha! Oh, well, I will take your word that it is $45 per ride! That's much more reasonable. I am not one who just spouts off info without a way to back it up! :thumbsup2 Leave it to the Disney site to get it wrong!! :p

Concerning the carriage ride, are you supposed to tip? I thought the $45 price tag would include that. :confused3

A tip is not included in the $45. I guess tips are rarely included in the published base prices for meals or services. I noticed the follow-up post about the WDW website by the way, and I've updated my reply.

Silly question...Do they have towels at the pools?

They do have towels at the main pool, but not at the five quiet pools. However you can just take your room towels with you (there are towel-drop bins at all of the pools) and ask housekeeping for some extra for the room.

Andre

We are going in October. We should get to the resort around noon I'd assume ( flight lands at 10:20). What are the chances of getting to check in and get our room before 3? Also what about late check out? Do you need to request that prior or is that something that's hit or miss? Our flight home isn't until 6:30 pm I believe. I know
we can hang out there or do other things and keep our luggage with bell services, but I'd like to know we have a room to go back to need be. Thanks.

We are going in October. We should get to the resort around noon I'd assume ( flight lands at 10:20). What are the chances of getting to check in and get our room before 3? Also what about late check out? Do you need to request that prior or is that something that's hit or miss? Our flight home isn't until 6:30 pm I believe. I know
we can hang out there or do other things and keep our luggage with bell services, but I'd like to know we have a room to go back to need be. Thanks.

Getting into your room early and leaving later all depends on how booked your room category is. If the resort itself or room category is at capacity then they will want to turn over rooms as quick as possible.

I have a quote from a travel agent for 2014 marathon weekend and Riverside is about $60 a night cheaper than French Quarter? I have never stayed at either and I was curious what makes FQ worth the extra $60. I know that's kind of a broad question but just wondering if rooms a bigger or if there is some "advantage" to FQ. Thanks in advance.

I have a quote from a travel agent for 2014 marathon weekend and Riverside is about $60 a night cheaper than French Quarter? I have never stayed at either and I was curious what makes FQ worth the extra $60. I know that's kind of a broad question but just wondering if rooms a bigger or if there is some "advantage" to FQ. Thanks in advance.

I believe the big difference is the size of the resort. POFQ is smaller so they can sell all rooms without a discount, etc. I am going in 2 weeks and the spring discount was available at POR but not at POFQ.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

A tip is not included in the $45. I guess tips are rarely included in the published base prices for meals or services.

What would the customary tip be for that sort of service? $5?

Maybe we'll rent a surrey bike. Its cheaper and at least I don't have to tip the guy. ;)

croach said:

I had this question too...

Rack rates for POR and POFQ are the same for the same room category, so there most be some discount available for POR that's not available for POFQ. Like chrisc88 said, POFQ is smaller, so it can be filled up without offering discounts.

We should get to the resort around noon I'd assume ( flight lands at 10:20). What are the chances of getting to check in and get our room before 3? Also what about late check out? Do you need to request that prior or is that something that's hit or miss?

There's a pretty good chance you'll get your room straight away with the Ready Room system that they currently use (make sure you do online checkin and let them know your expected arrival time) but it's not guaranteed of course. Your chances will be improved if you don't make any special requests so they've got a wider pool of rooms to choose from.

Late checkout (up to 1pm) depends on whether they need your room for another guest - someone like you for example, who wants to get in early. They can only determine this at fairly short notice, quite often the day before you checkout, so you can't book it in advance. I've mostly been lucky with this, but on at least one occasion they could not offer it.

Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter