• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a comedy show or is it music?

I guess you're new here. :) "Ye Haa" Bob is world-famous at Port Orleans. :thumbsup2

His show is a lively and fun mixture of music, song, audience participation and a LOT of energy - he gives it 120% for about three hours, with only a short break between two sets. There's plenty of humour in the mix, but I wouldn't call it a comedy show as such. He's actually a very talented musician, but his Port Orleans show definitely concentrates on the fun element rather than pure music. His website is www.yehaabob.com.

Over at French Quarter (a pleasant 10-15 minute river bank walk away) Elliot Dyson plays multi-instrument and song jazz sessions, which is a bit less 'full-on' than Bob's show if you'd like some more laid-back listening.

Andre

I did not see the Alligator Bayou themed rooms at the Disney web site when i booked our stay in Oct. and to be honest I don't like them. Do we have a choice in what themed rooms we can stay in or don't they have them anymore?
When I booked I just assumed there was only one style room? I choose the garden view ones.

I did not see the Alligator Bayou themed rooms at the Disney web site when i booked our stay in Oct. and to be honest I don't like them. Do we have a choice in what themed rooms we can stay in or don't they have them anymore?
When I booked I just assumed there was only one style room? I choose the garden view ones.

Contact your TA (or Disney if you booked direct) and ask for a room in Magnolia Bend. It's not guaranteed but I've yet to ever have a request not fulfilled.

But, if you take a closer look, it's $45 PER PERSON!!! This is kind of misleading. $45 seemed like a good deal to me - but my family of 4, it would be $180 :scared1: Geez!!!!
You are incorrect, it is a total of $45 plus tip for the trip, not per person. The Carriage ride won't cost you $180.
The cost is $45 including tax for the 25-minute ride and the carriage can hold up to four adults, or three adults and two small children (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult). You should arrive at the marina area no later than 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time and wait for the carriage to collect you. The service may be cancelled in cases of inclement weather.

Thanks Venom for the coffee pot pics. I may order some stronger coffee for myself. I cannot remember, do the disposable coffee cups they give you in the room have lids?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We are staying at POR at the end of April...can anyone tell me if any type of floatie or life jackets are available for young children at the pools? Thank you.

Going back to the horse and carriage ride. I really would like to book one but was wondering if anyone knows of or where to find information about the horses and how they're kept/treated. Hubby said it depends on this. He will not partake in anything were he believes animals are being mistreated. For example we have never been on a horse and carriage ride in NYC because of the stories of mistreated horses. Thanks in advance. :)

MrsB919 said:
Going back to the horse and carriage ride. I really would like to book one but was wondering if anyone knows of or where to find information about the horses and how they're kept/treated. Hubby said it depends on this. He will not partake in anything were he believes animals are being mistreated. For example we have never been on a horse and carriage ride in NYC because of the stories of mistreated horses. Thanks in advance. :)

From what i have read.. Disney has been known for treating animal EXTREMELY well.. Much better the most zoo and other animal related venues..

In animal kingdom one of the animal handlers came out and was talking to us on our last trip..
She explained to us that animals at disney are treated like VIPs!
She elaborated on the enrichment program they have.. By rewarding the animals with treats hidden in secret areas..
This way the animal gets a treat, and the guests get to see the animals, They NEVER force the animals to do something they don't want to..
Other then vet checks, or if they feel an animal is unwell...

I'm sure disney has rules and guideline in place for all its animals.... And I'm sure the horses are given their cut (in carrots) ;-) at the end of the day..

enzati said:
We are staying at POR at the end of April...can anyone tell me if any type of floatie or life jackets are available for young children at the pools? Thank you.

Life jackets in different sizes are available for sign out at the marina window. You can sign out for your entire stay and keep the jackets at your room. There is obviously a charge if they are not returned at the end of your stay.

Here is the pic of the carriage we had in August.
IMG_0342_zps8f7b9c1e.jpg

From what i have read.. Disney has been known for treating animal EXTREMELY well.. Much better the most zoo and other animal related venues..

In animal kingdom one of the animal handlers came out and was talking to us on our last trip..
She elaborated on the enrichment program they have.. By rewarding the animals with treats hidden in secret areas..
This way the animal gets a treat, and the guests get to see the animals, They NEVER force the animals to do something they don't want to..

I'm sure disney has rules and guideline in place for all its animals.... And I'm sure the horses are given their cut (in carrots) ;-) at the end of the day..

The carriage rides are operated by Disney's Animal Programs division, which oversees all animals on property. Yes, they are treated very well indeed. In fact, they make sure the horses don't do the same thing all the time, so they don't get bored.

Do you have to book in advance. If we will be there May 18-29 what is the likelihood we could just walk up and have availability to take a carriage ride?

Do you have to book in advance. If we will be there May 18-29 what is the likelihood we could just walk up and have availability to take a carriage ride?

Quoted from http://portorleans.org/recreation.php:

"•Reservations are recommended and can be made up to 180 days in advance on 1-407-WDW-PLAY (1-407-939-7529). A credit card is required to confirm but this will only be charged for no-shows or cancellations at less than 24-hours notice.
•Guests wishing to check on same-day availability may call 1-407-824-2832, and walk-up guests will be accepted at the departure location if there is no pre-booked reservation for that time slot."

I have to agree with this.. having taken the AK Backstage tour and the Dolphins in Depth tour, Disney treats it's animals with the utmost care.

For example, when training the dolphins, there's 3 levels of rewards. In dinner terms, it would be appetizer, main course, and dessert. All are positive rewards, but main course is better than appetizer and dessert is best of all.

If the dolphin doesn't want to do something/or gets an exercise wrong, they get an appetizer. If they don't want to do it, they're not forced to do it. However, normally, they'll want to try again because if they get it right, they get the main course. If they get it right on the first try, they get the dessert. Everything is positive reinforcement, never negative.

I also love the story about WDW using Doves. They stopped using doves in all of their shows/parades/etc because the hawks nearby learned when the doves would be released and knew when to feed. Disney stopped using doves to save their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter