Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing my hair on Friday and thinking to myself in four weeks, this is going to be a very, very long day.

Eight hours at work and then 17 hours in the car with four people. Ugh. It is going to be a long night, but we will make it.

I cannot tell you how much I missed going last year, in order to make this trip happen. It will probably be my only time ever driving, but you gotta do everything once!:eek:

We drove 2 years ago. We left after 1/2 day of work when the kids finished school that day. :crazy2: Drove all night (switching drivers) until we reached Orlando :coffee:

And we will be doing it again in July -!!! But multiple stops down south this time :drive:

That is a pretty darn nice STANDARD view. I pictured just seeing concrete!:wizard:

That's exactly what I thought! When I first saw the view, I was thinking we must have been upgraded to garden view without knowing it, but then I checked Andre's maps, and we were still in rooms marked standard view. It was a very pleasant surprise!

Since building 15 is part of the preferred locations, that means there's chance of getting a "standard" parking lot view.....can you buy a preferred room with pool/river view or not?

After months of daydreaming about it im enjoying my mint julep by the pool at old man island, the wifi is just fine from here. This is a good day. :cool1: :beach:

After months of daydreaming about it im enjoying my mint julep by the pool at old man island, the wifi is just fine from here. This is a good day. :cool1: :beach:

So glad you finally made it! Take one long sip for me please.... 20 more days

We drove 2 years ago. We left after 1/2 day of work when the kids finished school that day. :crazy2: Drove all night (switching drivers) until we reached Orlando :coffee:

And we will be doing it again in July -!!! But multiple stops down south this time :drive:

Luckily, we have three adult drivers, so we are going to see if we can do it all night with just stopping for breakfast at the FL state line.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Is there a place to see the Illuminations fireworks (at least part of them) from POR? Just curious, since Epcot is fairly close by.

Since building 15 is part of the preferred locations, that means there's chance of getting a "standard" parking lot view.....can you buy a preferred room with pool/river view or not?

"Preferred Location" rooms comprise all of the standard and garden views within buildings 14, 15, 18 and 27. The King Bed, Pool View and River View rooms in those four buildings fall under the King, Pool and River categories respectively. However you cannot specifically book Preferred Garden View, nor can you book River View with a guarantee of buildings 14 or 27, it's all down to requests.

Is there a place to see the Illuminations fireworks (at least part of them) from POR? Just curious, since Epcot is fairly close by.

Not really. You can see (and hear) some of the high bursts above the treeline, but it's not really a view as such.

Andre

Does anyone know who would be the best person to contact after a trip to compliment a particular CM at POR? We had an excellent housekeeper on our trip, who we thought really went above and beyond the norm for housekeeping, based on past experiences both at WDW and elsewhere. I wanted to write a letter complimenting her, but I'm not sure who to send it to.

I asked about it at the front desk and was given a business card for Guest Communication Services, which seems like a pretty general office for just any communication with WDW. I'm wondering if that's the best place to send my letter, or if there is someone at POR who would be better to send it to, in order to make it more likely that the letter actually gets back to the housekeeper's supervisor.

That would be very nice of you.

My mom used be in the Service/cleaning industry and chatted up our housekeeper during our last trip. We had a sweet lady from Korea.

They HAVE to work their ***** off. My mom was shocked on how many rooms they have to do and what they deal with. Also noticed that not every guest is also curtious and respectful in how they upkeep their rooms. We noticed how many bagged comforters there were in the walkways ( anotherwards, MANY accidents). I have Kids and I know accidents happen but I found it alot for the short time we were there. I assume parents are extra- hydrating their Kids and then not waking them up from the bus ride home to pee.. and it's the housekeepers that take care of this mess.

They have little containers of cream cheese at the bagel counter/bakery area on the left! :)

Anyone know what the cost for these would be? Wondering if I should just stop and buy some cream cheese on our way in. DS can't live without a bagel in the mornings!

Robin

Leaving tomorrow!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you! This is a great thread, and I've learned so much from here.

mrg013 said:
Does anyone know who would be the best person to contact after a trip to compliment a particular CM at POR? We had an excellent housekeeper on our trip, who we thought really went above and beyond the norm for housekeeping, based on past experiences both at WDW and elsewhere. I wanted to write a letter complimenting her, but I'm not sure who to send it to.

I asked about it at the front desk and was given a business card for Guest Communication Services, which seems like a pretty general office for just any communication with WDW. I'm wondering if that's the best place to send my letter, or if there is someone at POR who would be better to send it to, in order to make it more likely that the letter actually gets back to the housekeeper's supervisor.

Definitely contact them. You will be very pleased by both the e-mail and phone responses; it is far from a Central Call Center.

Anyone know the size of the safes? Thinking of bringing my laptop but not sure if I should if it will not fit.

I brought an old one to the Royal Pacific two in 2011 and it didn't fit so I locked it into my suitcase! Didn't bring it last year as didn't need it...

Definitely contact them. You will be very pleased by both the e-mail and phone responses; it is far from a Central Call Center.

Thanks! I'll definitely contact them! I just wanted to make sure that wasn't a place where the letter would get lost in a sea of other communication.

mcever4 said:
Anyone know what the cost for these would be? Wondering if I should just stop and buy some cream cheese on our way in. DS can't live without a bagel in the mornings!

Robin

Figure anything in a disney store is about 40 % than a regular local store near you or a regular store on your way.

Anyone know the size of the safes? Thinking of bringing my laptop but not sure if I should if it will not fit.

I brought an old one to the Royal Pacific two in 2011 and it didn't fit so I locked it into my suitcase! Didn't bring it last year as didn't need it...

The safes are very small, and definitely not large enough to fit a laptop. They're really only big enough to hold a few small things, like a wallet, cell phone, and camera. I didn't try, but I'm not even sure if my Kindle would have fit in the safe.

Robin

I think we were charged 50 cents once a couple of years ago but the other times there was no charge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter