Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be our first stay at POR, and to be honest we really do not care 'where' our room is, but I kind of think I'd like a room with 2 windows and wondering if their layout is any different than a room with one window? We have five going. But, if I check in online are you saying do not send in a faxed request? Also are there any advantages of being 2nd v. 1st floor? I wonder about noise from above, we need all the exercise we can get because we plan on eating horribly while there! :goodvibes

Thanks!

My thoughts exactly! I'm somewhat surprised by all the traffic on this board about room requests. I'm hoping for a corner, upstairs, AB room and said so on the reservation, but if they put us in a magnolia bend room on the ground floor with one window, we'll go with it! It's a lovely property, and I won't mind a five minute walk to the food court, and we'll need the exercise too! :yay:

No, unfortunately she was extremely unfriendly, I always chat to the CMs at check in and they have always been friendly. This was just had attitude. She was like well you do have connecting rooms and the ones you have are really nice but they aren't cleared as ready yet....okay no problem we understand it is only 11. Can you tell us either the room number or the building we will be in so when they text us we know on the map how to get there. Nope you are in magnolia bend you need no more info than that. We never give building or room numbers out. At AKL and the poly we were either told you will be in x room but will be texted when ready or you will be in building y but they will text you room number. But we got nope can't give you anything but it is a nice location. In fact when you get your text you better both be there bc you won't know whose room is ready until you both test your keys. I said we were excited to be there the hotel looks very relaxing....just got a ...well some people like we it. Very odd. Shame bc everyone else is so over the top helpful. Maybe hit her on a bad day?

I am glad the stay got better. There are crabby CM's out there. Not many but a few and they can have bad days too (I used to be a CM at Disneyland). We had a strange one check us in at AKL several years ago. She wasn't rude, but she was kind of creepy, and overly-serious. That was around the time of the 25th anniversary and all the CM's had their favorite characters on their name tags. This CM had Maleficent on hers. Creepy, and it fit her.

I'm pretty sure we were in 39 40 41 and 42 across the front of the first floor of oak manor up against the river.,39 is a corner and connects with 40. 42 is a corner and connects with 41, all are royal rooms.

Is there a special reason why you want upstairs? Is it the view? Just wondering becuase NOBODY I go with ever wants to climb stairs!
:confused3

Is there a special reason why you want upstairs? Is it the view? Just wondering becuase NOBODY I go with ever wants to climb stairs!
:confused3

We always request the 2nd floor, at CBR and POR, for 3 reasons. No chance of hearing anyone running or jumping above us. For my wife's sake, less chance of a snake following us into the room.:scared1: Most people request 1st floor which might up our chances of getting our location requests met since we also request 2nd floor.

This will be our first stay at POR, and to be honest we really do not care 'where' our room is, but I kind of think I'd like a room with 2 windows and wondering if their layout is any different than a room with one window? We have five going. But, if I check in online are you saying do not send in a faxed request? Also are there any advantages of being 2nd v. 1st floor? I wonder about noise from above, we need all the exercise we can get because we plan on eating horribly while there! :goodvibes

Thanks!

The reason WE requested close to the food court is because we like running to the drink station to get refills! :thumbsup2 But it was ALSO nice if we needed something from the gift shop and needed to just run over! When we stayed at Caribbean Beach we had NO idea how FAR away we COULD get... we got the farthest building out because we were in the Pirate Rooms and it took a GOOD long while to walk to the Food Court... We usually took the BUS! Yes there is a BUS for INSIDE the resort! That was a CRAZY concept for me considering I am used to staying at POR! Loved Caribbean Beach but will definitely pay for preferred room next time. Hope you all enjoy your stays at POR!

I booked on-line. It was fine. You have to poke around a bit to find the discounts. The only thing that was confusing was when it came time to pay the balance due, there was no easy or obvious way to do that. You can "check in" online and leave a credit card number but that doesn't pay the balance due. They did not send me follow-up email either. So I called, talked to a real person, gave them my CC number and Bobs-Your-Uncle we're all set! I was able to add a few preferences by calling that weren't available through their on-line system as well. :cool1:

Thanks for the info.

I was told by a CM they do not have them for the royal rooms.

The CM was incorrect/misinformed, and unfortunately it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

There are connecting rooms throughout the resort in about 50% of the rooms, including the Royal Rooms:

POR-Room-Royal-2013-1279_forum.jpg

The only room-types that generally don't have connecting doors are the wheelchair accessible rooms, as the modifications made to those rooms would make accessing the doorway difficult.

But, if I check in online are you saying do not send in a faxed request?

No, you can check-in online and still send a fax, but I'd suggest doing the online check-in first. There is some debate as to whether the tick-box requests on the website form will overwrite any notes already in your reservation. They are not supposed to, but if you've already got the same info in your original booking it might not be worth the risk. I've had this question come up a number of times, so I recently added the following to the more detailed FAQs page on my site:

Is it worth doing online check-in? Will it remove my existing reservation notes or faxed requests?

Personally, yes I do suggest doing online check-in via the My Disney Experience website at any time up to 60 days before your arrival. Provide as much information as possible to help reduce the amount of time that needs to be spent at the desk, and if you have already made requests in your original booking with more detail than the tick-boxes on the online form allow, leave those tick-boxes empty. Think carefully about your choice of whether youd prefer to try to have your requests met (even if that may mean some waiting) versus simply getting a ready room as soon as you arrive, but which might not be in quite such an ideal location.

However, if you are planning on sending a faxed request too, make sure that you do the online check-in BEFORE sending your fax.

At the resort, online check-in really only starts to differ from regular check-in a few hours before your stated arrival time. A cast member processes all the online check-ins in batches, and creates welcome packs ready for imminently arriving guests. If a room as been blocked out in the system already - perhaps from an earlier fax, or if it's a group booking - then you should still get that room. If not, they will check through any previously noted requests first, and then pick as suitable a room as possible from the pool of rooms available at that moment.

When you arrive, the front desk team can generally get you through the check-in process a lot quicker - in fact during peak hours they sometimes even catch people in the lobby, before they even join the line, and check them in via iPads.

And if you really don't like the map location of the room that youve been assigned, you can always ask them to check again to see if anything better has become available in the meantime, or even offer to wait for another room to be cleaned and be made ready.

Can you tell us either the room number or the building we will be in so when they text us we know on the map how to get there. Nope.

While there is no excuse at all for being rude or surly about it, she was at least correct in that part. The front desk staff are not permitted to give out room numbers (or really even building numbers) to guests until access to that room has been granted and the keycard has been activated. Prior to that there may still be other guests in the room, or cleaning staff may find some damage which requires the allocated room to be taken out of inventory, etc. so you could find yourself in a completely different part of the resort even. So rather than setting up an expectation which might not be met, they are meant to (politely!) decline to give out specific room information until it is ready for access. Sounds like the text notification system was broken at the time too, which is doubly unfortunate.

Andre

The CM was incorrect/misinformed, and unfortunately it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

There are connecting rooms throughout the resort in about 50% of the rooms, including the Royal Rooms:

The only room-types that generally don't have connecting doors are the wheelchair accessible rooms, as the modifications made to those rooms would make accessing the doorway difficult.

No, you can check-in online and still send a fax, but I'd suggest doing the online check-in first. There is some debate as to whether the tick-box requests on the website form will overwrite any notes already in your reservation. They are not supposed to, but if you've already got the same info in your original booking it might not be worth the risk. I've had this question come up a number of times, so I recently added the following to the more detailed FAQs page on my site:

While there is no excuse at all for being rude or surly about it, she was at least correct in that part. The front desk staff are not permitted to give out room numbers (or really even building numbers) to guests until access to that room has been granted and the keycard has been activated. Prior to that there may still be other guests in the room, or cleaning staff may find some damage which requires the allocated room to be taken out of inventory, etc. so you could find yourself in a completely different part of the resort even. So rather than setting up an expectation which might not be met, they are meant to (politely!) decline to give out specific room information until it is ready for access. Sounds like the text notification system was broken at the time too, which is doubly unfortunate.

Andre

Sorry for yet another room question -does the online check in have a space for section (AB versus mansions)? I've only heard upper or lower and corner rooms..thanks!

Sorry for yet another room question -does the online check in have a space for section (AB versus mansions)? I've only heard upper or lower and corner rooms..thanks!

I am not sure about the specific options when doing online check in since they "upgraded" the website. But, if you have your requests noted on your reservation you're good to go. Then there's no need to make any requests during online check in.:thumbsup2

I am not sure about the specific options when doing online check in since they "upgraded" the website. But, if you have your requests noted on your reservation you're good to go. Then there's no need to make any requests during online check in.:thumbsup2

Thank you!

POR-Room-Royal-2013-1279_forum.jpg

Andre

Great picture. Thank you for clearing this up.:thumbsup2 I will call again and be sure they have us down for connecting rooms.

There is no option for that as yet, I asked the same question when the new system was launched. Apparently there is some complication with the fact that the tick options have to be potentially applicable to all possible bookings at the resort - and AB vs. MB doesn't apply with Preferred Locations or Royal Guests Rooms. I believe it is something that is still being discussed though.

As has been said though, get the request added to your original reservation first.

Andre

There is no option for that as yet, I asked the same question when the new system was launched. Apparently there is some complication with the fact that the tick options have to be potentially applicable to all possible bookings at the resort - and AB vs. MB doesn't apply with Preferred Locations or Royal Guests Rooms. I believe it is something that is still being discussed though.

As has been said though, get the request added to your original reservation first.

Andre

Thanks Andre, you and this site are so helpful. I. Opted 2 specific building requests in AB (I booked river view to stay "close" to facilities), but I'm thinking I should change that to just AB....

We always request the 2nd floor, at CBR and POR, for 3 reasons. No chance of hearing anyone running or jumping above us. For my wife's sake, less chance of a snake following us into the room.:scared1: Most people request 1st floor which might up our chances of getting our location requests met since we also request 2nd floor.

When I saw this unanswered last night I nearly said this was my reason. I don't know why it freaks me out so much, but I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with this fear.

I definitely remember having a connecting room at Parterre Place a few years ago, before the RR's. I couldn't imagine them taking them out, so I am glad to hear they are still there!

Nope, booked a My Way package with tickets. On booking, it took a credit card for the deposit, and then they sent a receipt email saying when the remainder was do (45 days out). It accepted a couple of minor preferences on-line as well (corner room, top floor were my choices). As that deadline approached I expected another email reminder: nothing. As the date approached I went back on line to pay the remainder and while it showed the amount due and the initial confirmations said it could be paid on-line there was no link, button, or form to do so. I went through the on-line check in and it accepted a credit card there but as you said it was just for room charges. The on-line check in was accepted however, even though the package wasn't paid for. Still no confirmation of the bill being paid off, so I called them, and they took my CC over the phone. As I made the payment I put in an additional request for an AB room, which she entered, and she added our celebration note too (my daughter just graduated from Ball State Cum Laude!).

While the on-line reservation system worked, there are clearly some bugs to be worked out. Their whole system was down last Saturday all day for example. I've booked with TA's in the past and will probably do that again next time. But, I did get my Mickey Mail on time, and they sent a total of 3 planning DVD's (still don't know why). :happytv:

As a side note, last weekend i called to see if we could add one more night (this coming Saturday) and the resort was full! Oh well.

There is still a back door way to make payments online. Some versions of the new site have a place to make payments, but it's not a working link, yet.
I still prefer booking online because I like being able to see what's available and play around with different options myself. If you book a package online, you can call and make a full or partial payment as often as you like. It's always been on you to know when the balance is due. They don't remind you.

As far as location preference is it best to mention now or as my date gets closer? What do ppl consider good locations at Por? Garden view vs lake view ? Close to transportation ?first floor vs upper floors? Close to footbridge, close to main building ? Any help is greatly appreciated. We will be traveling 2 adults and our DD.

I like having a higher floor in Magnolia Terrace, it's usually out only request. I find that it's a short walk to the main building by cutting through OL Man Island

Well, when I used it about two months ago there was no place for AB vs. Magnolia Bend. It allowed you to check two preference out of about three or four. Upstairs / Downstairs, Corner Room, and I think but cannot remember for sure, near an elevator, which would put you on the Magnolia Bend side, as there are no elevators in the AB section. They certainly have complicated things, in my opinion, with all the location / room categories. The funny thing is, you spend so little time in your room while at Disney and most of that time you're asleep!

I still prefer booking online because I like being able to see what's available and play around with different options myself.

Me too, and you've jogged my memory. That's why I did it this way. I made comparisons with different resorts, days etc. Because they were offering different percentage discounts at different resorts I wanted to see what the options were, and what difference booking on different days makes. We kind of wanted WL but it would have cost us $700 or so more at the very best deal we could find. Disney always charges more on weekends for example, and at the end of our stay it will be Memorial day weekend, and the rates really jump up and the discount disappears. I guess, this is the one part the on-line does well at. The booking part still had bugs. Of course a good TA will do this too, and a really good one will watch the offers and re-book your trip if a better deal comes out. I do think that it's odd they will book you on-line but that making a payment after the initial booking is difficult at best. I wonder if anyone ever looses their deposit because they didn't or couldn't make a payment in time. I was certainly relieved when that final charge came through!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter