Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Three --- NOW FULL / CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the 5 of is in one room. Last time we visited, we had the two double beds and a rollaway. Does this mean that this time we willhave one of the murphy bed rooms? Or do they still do the rollaway bed thing?

We have the 5 of is in one room. Last time we visited, we had the two double beds and a rollaway. Does this mean that this time we willhave one of the murphy bed rooms? Or do they still do the rollaway bed thing?

The rollaways were eliminated when they went to queen sized beds.

All AB rooms have the murphy bed.

How late does Bob's show run? I believe he works Wed-Sat starting around 8? We arrive late Wed nt and was hoping to maybe catch the last bit of it? Sorry if it is posted on here already. I looked and could not find it.

He takes a break around 10:00 pm or so, but "works the rooms" and then goes until midnight.

I may be booking "Garden View" at POR for an upcoming trip - it's my cheapest option. Are there any non-Royal Room, Garden View's in Oak Manor? Or are they all Royal Rooms in Oak Manor and Parterre? I just don't want to be too far away and Preferred isn't an option. Should I just request the Magnolia Terrace building? Thanks!

I may be booking "Garden View" at POR for an upcoming trip - it's my cheapest option. Are there any non-Royal Room, Garden View's in Oak Manor? Or are they all Royal Rooms in Oak Manor and Parterre? I just don't want to be too far away and Preferred isn't an option. Should I just request the Magnolia Terrace building? Thanks!

The Oak and Parterre Buildings are 100% Royal Guest Rooms. The Closest non-Royal room will be in Magnolia Building. I mean if you wanted to be in the Mansions.

Just returned Dec31-Jan8. Great time.

Stayed in AB 2530, a perfect room (for us). Quiet wooded view and just steps from the West Depot. Requested the building via fax five days out. The walk to the lobby is not an issue for us, much prefer the short walk to a quiet West Depot. On occasion we would get off at South to have dinner before going back to the room.

Did the boat to DTD, but didn't do the pool, bikes, movie, or FQ's campfire this time.

Food court was OK in taste, but they did seem quite slow and un-involved in service. One college-age person had their A game on, but everyone else seemed to be zoned out and careless. But we saw that same attitude and performance in the food staff elsewhere too.

Bus service for the West Depot was awesome again, except for one afternoon. EP had EMH and ran three busses by in a row (understandable), then AK ran 5 by in a row (what? who goes to AK after the animals close)...we waited the full 20+ mins on that day waiting for HS.

Baggage service was abit tip hungry, but we love checking bags there instead of the airport.

Did a split stay (even there is no such thing) and did have to re-check back in, but kept same room no issue.

After seeing the plastic-y and high-colored parks all day, POR and esp the AB section - just have such a great feeling to go home to. Cue the crickets.

Stayed in AB 2530, a perfect room (for us). Quiet wooded view and just steps from the West Depot. Requested the building via fax five days out. The walk to the lobby is not an issue for us, much prefer the short walk to a quiet West Depot. On occasion we would get off at South to have dinner before going back to the room.

Did the boat to DTD, but didn't do the pool, bikes, movie, or FQ's campfire this time.

Food court was OK in taste, but they did seem quite slow and un-involved in service. One college-age person had their A game on, but everyone else seemed to be zoned out and careless. But we saw that same attitude and performance in the food staff elsewhere too.

Bus service for the West Depot was awesome again, except for one afternoon. EP had EMH and ran three busses by in a row (understandable), then AK ran 5 by in a row (what? who goes to AK after the animals close)...we waited the full 20+ mins on that day waiting for HS.

Baggage service was abit tip hungry, but we love checking bags there instead of the airport.

Did a split stay (even there is no such thing) and did have to re-check back in, but kept same room no issue.

After seeing the plastic-y and high-colored parks all day, POR and esp the AB section - just have such a great feeling to go home to. Cue the crickets.

Great review!

I will echo the sentiment that I have rarely seen ANY highly engaged food prep CM's irregardless of the resort.

Yes, you can. However, you will need to bring your own graham crackers and hershy bars. Sticks and marshmallows are provided. The crackers and hershey bars are available in the General Store.

Thanks! Will add that to the planning spreadsheet. :)

I have had some wonderful courtyard rooms in Acadian House. Before Oak Manor went over to RR's, it was my fav location.

Now I have fallen in love with Acadian House. The walks to the main building are quite lovely and the bus stop is very convenient and easy to use. Once you walk the sidewalk to the building, when you walk the corridors to the rooms, you are in the shade covering by the floor above you, so it is a wonderful feature.

Cinderumbrella said:
Can any POR laundry do-ers help with their past experience? :goodvibes

We were there in early Sept and did laundry (family of 4). The washers and dryers worked well in the laundry room by bldg 16/17. The laundry takes a bit longer to dry than at home but given the extra 30-40% humidity down there that is to be expected.

It was clean and air conditioned, but as with any thing like this remember to check the machines before you put anything in.

Stacy

We were there in early Sept and did laundry (family of 4). The washers and dryers worked well in the laundry room by bldg 16/17. The laundry takes a bit longer to dry than at home but given the extra 30-40% humidity down there that is to be expected.

It was clean and air conditioned, but as with any thing like this remember to check the machines before you put anything in.

Stacy

Thanks!! Was there a particular time of day you found the rooms to be the most empty?

Cinderumbrella said:
Thanks!! Was there a particular time of day you found the rooms to be the most empty?

I did our laundry a couple of nights ago around 7:30, and only saw one other person. I was actually impressed we only needed the one 30 min cycle to dry our clothes...

Thanks for the review, I love reading these. That last line helped me a lot! I chose POR over AOA for our May trip, but I am a little concerned the kids will be disappointed. Reading your description of coming home to AB and the end of the day makes me feel that I made the right decision! Glad you had a great time. :)

That's exactly why I chose POR!! My fiancé wanted to keep the Disney craziness going and tried to convince my to go to All Sports but I wanted somewhere a bit calmer for my boys so there's a chance of them sleeping!
4 weeks today and we'll be boarding the plane!!!!!!! :yay::yay::yay:

Now, it is my understanding the odds that we will have a room in Oak Manor are very good - and I only say this because there are only 2 rooms in PP that are pool view rooms (Thanks Andre for the amazing room details) - the rest of the pool view rooms are in OM. Unless, of course, we are upgraded... Then my whole thought process is useless.

I've been trying to look at the Google map and the map on the POR.org, but it's hard to tell - it looks like you may (or may not) be able to get to the bridge from a path between OM and PP (where the quiet pool is)... Can anyone confirm or deny?

All of the water (pool) view Royal Rooms are excellent locations, that single Water View room in Parterre is actually probably about the best of all in fact. I think I would just leave it to chance requests-wise though, unless you want a particular floor.

The pathways link across everywhere, and there are many access points which go from the room external walkways onto the main paths - you quite literally take a couple of steps away from Parterre and you're right there at the bridge. Honestly, it really is just a few steps.

As has been said, Oak and Parterre are all Royal Rooms, so yes a request for Magnolia Terrace would generally give you the most centrally located rooms - although to be fair there are some great ones in Acadian too. Maybe just request "mansion building, as close to the Ol' Man Island bridge as possible" rather than asking for a particular building?

I did our laundry a couple of nights ago around 7:30, and only saw one other person. I was actually impressed we only needed the one 30 min cycle to dry our clothes...

One of the advantages to there being five laundry rooms at POR (one beside each quiet pool) is that they are rarely crowded, and you can just sit out by the pool or take a dip while your clothes wash themselves. Washing really doesn't get much easier.

Andre

I have a question about the carriage ride. How long does it last and does it bring you around POR and up to POFQ as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter