• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans allows 5 to a room?

samiet620

Mouseketeer
Hello Disney Family...well I am at it again trying to see if I can pull off a trip to Disney, but with my oldest graduating High School next year and accounting for all the expense that will bring(She is a high honor student and a very good girl so she's gonna get all her heart desires including the very expensive but beautiful prom dress:cutie:) I'm trying to c where I can cut cost but still stay on site...I went on Disney.com to get a quote for the All Star music fam suite and it gave a pretty good price but also it offered me port orleans with an alternate price that was actually a couple of 100 cheaper:banana:...so does a room at the port bed 5?:confused:

Port Orleans Riverside has rooms for 5 in the Alligator Bayou section. There are 2 double beds and a small bed that is pulled out from underneath one of the doubles (called a trundle bed). It is intended for age 9 or under. I've heard that they will not take a reservation online for 5 unless one is under 10 but you might be able to get it if you call.

Hm..thanks Debbie. I'll have to call n ask. My youngest is 16 but she's 5 feet even and weighs about 110 lbs..if they allow it then I'd go for that as it was cheaper than fam. suite!

Hm..thanks Debbie. I'll have to call n ask. My youngest is 16 but she's 5 feet even and weighs about 110 lbs..if they allow it then I'd go for that as it was cheaper than fam. suite!

We took my daughters friend last year who was 17 and she slept in the trundle bed with no problem, she is about I would say 120 lbs and about 5' 4"

We stayed at POR the last 2 years as a family of 6. (kids were 9/7/5/2). we loved it and wished we were allowed to stay again, however we have offically out grown their rooms:sad1:. I must say none of my children liked the pull out bed and thought it was uncomfortable. But we still loved the resort.

Just got back from a stay there and our 14 yr daughter slept on the trundle bed and had no complaints at all. She had brought her own blanket and pillow and said she was very comfortable. As she said, it was much better than having to sleep with one of her brothers.

My husband prefers to sleep on the trundle and he is 6'4 250lbs. He likes it for his back:confused3. My 3 DD's have no problem with him in the trundle:rotfl2:

POR is the cheapest option for a family of 5.

Next would be two rooms at a value and then a family suite for a few dollars more.

Another option for 5 is the Dolphin.
It has some of the perks of a Disney resort-- EMH and transportation.
But you cannot get the dining plan or use Magical Express if you're flying.

It's more expensive, but they offer some great deals especially for nurses and teachers. With a deal the price is about the same as POR.

POR is the cheapest option for a family of 5.

Next would be two rooms at a value and then a family suite for a few dollars more.

We enjoyed POR and if "they" allow you to book considering the ages of your kids, I would say to go for it. The kid on the trundle will have it made as it won't have to make it up!

2 rooms at value would bemy next suggestion as well.

We just stayed at POR in the Alligator Bayou rooms that sleep 5.

The trundle bed is very short and it reminds me more of a cheap plastic baby bed mattress sitting on hard metal. Our 8 year old was fine on it, but we had to move it between the beds as he was freezing the first night due to its proximity to the air conditioner. If your kid can sleep on the floor, they'll be fine with the trundle. For us, with 14, 12 and 8 year old boys, the room at POR was just too small.

For slightly more than a room at POR, but less than the family suite, I'd suggest getting two rooms at the Values. The beds are identical in size to POR, except that no one has to sleep on the floor (aka trundle bed). Plus, you get two bathrooms and a lot more space.

With three teenagers, I think I would suck up the extra $100 and go with either 2 rooms or the family suite. Having 2 bathrooms will make a huge difference during the times you are in the room. With the amount of money spent on a Disney vacation, $100 is very little in the scheme of things. You can make up that cost by using the kitchenette to eat breakfast in the room in the mornings.

I've been in both POR & ASMu family suite with my family of 5 and we all prefer the family suite.

It was great having 2 bathrooms, 2 tv's, 2 closets, TONS of additional storage, a queen bed in the bedroom, desk in the bedroom.

I've been in both POR & ASMu family suite with my family of 5 and we all prefer the family suite.

It was great having 2 bathrooms, 2 tv's, 2 closets, TONS of additional storage, a queen bed in the bedroom, desk in the bedroom.

Totally agree!!!:thumbsup2

Spend the $100 on larger living space, and eat breakfast in the room a couple of times.

Totally agree!!!:thumbsup2

Spend the $100 on larger living space, and eat breakfast in the room a couple of times.

I was wondering how you figure it is only $100 more? My family doesn't fit in value anymore and I have been pricing out different options, and AsMu family suites would be about $617 more than POR.

I think POR looks like a nice resort, but I think the trundle option stinks. The kid who has to sleep on that is practically on the dirty floor and everyone is saying the bed is very uncomfortable. Plus, I prefer the mansion buildings more.

None of that would be the end of the world, but I'm looking into off site too. :( When the savings goes past $500, that becomes the priority. Of course, maybe some good deals for the fall will be offered and things will look brighter! :thumbsup2

We have stayed POR our last 3 trips but I don't think we'll be able to next summer. In '06, I made all three DDs switch off on the trundle. By '07, oldest DD had outgrown the length of the bed so the younger two DDs switched off. In '09, only youngest DD could fit comfortably but she hated it! We ended up moving the mattress to the floor between the beds at her request. When we talk about going next summer, she will automatically say "I'm not sleeping on that little bed!" I am checking into renting points for the next trip to get a bigger room. Five adult-sized people in one room would be too much to me. We trip over each other there.

I just plugged in some dates, this June arriving on a Sat, leaving on a Sat...for mom, dd, and the three kids. PoR was about $1688 and ASFamilySuites were about $2243....a difference of $555. Pretty substantial.
But....with the teens, it would be nice to have two bathrooms and two tvs and some privacy for mom and dad. It comes out to about $80 addtl per day.
I would think that 5, 3 being teens would be pretty crowded at PoR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter