• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port of miami?

tseitel

DIS Veteran
Hi. I originally ruled out sailing from Miami because Southwest did not fly there from BWI. However now I see that they fly to ft lauderdale (near Miami). Has anyone ever flew into ft lauderdale & then sailed out of Miami? How far was it? Wanted to fly in the same day, and get a shuttle transfer to the port, but not sure of distances involved
Thanks!

We did this for our cruise in March. We rented a car as we flew in the day before. I would say drive time from FLL to port would be 30-45 minutes depending on time of day / traffic. There are several shuttle companies and rates were reasonable when we checked them. I can't remember the names, but a quick search of this forum (or Google) should bring them up.

We flew in the day before and took SAS transportation from Ft lauderdale to our hotel in Miami. Reasonably priced and fun ride. The 20 something driver texted me to let me know where he'd pick us up, we were the only ones on the van, and he was really a funny guide on trip. We went to the Doubletree Hilton Biscayne Bay which was pretty close to the port. We could see the ship in the morning from our room.

We are sailing on the Magic in October and we have reservations on SWA from Austin to Ft. Lauderdale. We plan to fly in the day before, use SAS Transportation to go to the Holiday Inn Port of Miami (where we have a bay view room booked) and then take a taxi from the hotel to the ship the morning we set sail.

We just cruised in April - flew SWA to FLL. We arrived the night before our cruise and stayed at Cambria Suites in Fort Lauderdale (great place!). We booked SAS to bring us to the port in the a.m. I have to say, SAS was GREAT! They called in the a.m. to confirm and let us know when they would get there - SUPER EASY! They dropped us right at the ship! We also arranged transportation from the Port of Miami to FLL - again excellent!

We flew into FLL (saving hundreds vs. flying into Miami) the night before our cruise, rented a car from Dollar, [found some great Cuban food in Miami!] and returned the car the morning of the cruise at Dollar's downtown Miami location; Dollar runs a free shuttle from their downtown location to the port, and I believe only charged an extra $10 or so for the one-way rental.

Rich from California

If there's no traffic, you can easily get from the FLL airport (which is actually in Dania/not far from Hollywood) to the Port of Miami in 20-25 min, if the driver knows exactly where he/she is going. If it's during rush hour, it can take more than an hour to get there. They have "Go" shuttles at the airport that will take you there; however, they will stop multiple times taking other passengers to their destinations. So, that may not be the way to go, if you're in a crunch for time.

We flew in day-of, took SAS transportation to port...and found other Disney cruise folks on the shuttle (not DISboard-ers though)...it was easy peasy...I was worried as I have always gone out of Port Canaveral and it seemed like things could go wrong...of course, there are always risks in flying delays and driving delays and the board is full of folks who have horror stories but it worked for us and the others on our shuttle...

Yes this is what we did too using SAS to get from the hotel to the port and then on the way back to the airport. The hotel we stayed at had a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Flew in the night before. It was pretty easy.

We drove a Budget rental car down all the way from Wisconsin. We were going to fly in to FLL but it was way too expensive. We stayed overnight at Hampton Inn in FLL and taking a shuttle to port. We did drive back to Orlando after the cruise and stayed at Universal a few nights before flying back. It was only $500 to fly back out of MCO.

We did this two weeks ago. We flew into FLL the day before the cruise. We booked a hotel in Hollywood and took their free shuttle to the hotel. From the hotel to port, we used Quality Limo Service. It was $12.50 per person, for a shared van, but we ended up being the only people in the van. It took less than 1/2 hour on Sunday mid morning.

On the way back, we rented a car in Miami so we didn't have to stay at the hotel and could explore (rented Alamo, free shuttle from port to Miami Airport (maybe 10 minute drive) - mini van for $42). We stayed in Hollywood over night and dropped the car off at FLL to depart the next day.

Thank you for all the info. I have been overlooking this port because I was unsure of the travel involved- I should have posted here earlier. The Disers always come through!!

We're taking a B2b in Jan/2016. Thanks for asking, I was wondering myself :-)

Hi. I originally ruled out sailing from Miami because Southwest did not fly there from BWI. However now I see that they fly to ft lauderdale (near Miami). Has anyone ever flew into ft lauderdale & then sailed out of Miami? How far was it? Wanted to fly in the same day, and get a shuttle transfer to the port, but not sure of distances involved
Thanks!
I did it solo. There is a shuttle service and I paid $15 each way. Took no time at all to get back, maybe 30 minutes tops. Very doable.

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale and doing a Disney cruise out of Miami. SAS transportation looks like a good way to go. Just wondering what hotels in Miami have free shuttles to the ship if we come in a day early?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter