• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port of Miami: Flying vs. Driving

ninecrayons

DIS Veteran
This is kind of an odd question, but I welcome your thoughts!

I am going on a 5 day Magic cruise out of Miami in January. I live on the opposite coast of Florida, near Tampa.

After doing some checking, it seems like I can fly RT from Tampa to Miami for approximately the same cost of driving and parking. A flight is 180 and gas plus parking works out about the same.

If I flew, I'd take a 7am flight, which lands at 8am. I'd likely get a Lyft to the terminal. Coming home I'd do a late afternoon flight so my DH can get me after work. It's a direct flight each way.

Driving is close on 4 hours each way, so I'd have to be on the road by 5:30 or 6am.

My main issue is flying the morning of a cruise. The thought of any complications with flight makes me nervous! But I'm also not super thrilled with four hours of driving each way!

Thoughts/ideas welcomed.

If the flight got canceled couldn't you always just drive to the port and still make it in plenty of time?

Maybe drive in the night before & stay at a hotel? That way you won't have to drive a long way the morning of.

We live near WDW and have done the drive to both Miami and Ft Lauderdale cruise ports for several cruises. Since we were traveling with friends it was much cheaper for us to do the drive. It was only a bit more than 3 hours for us (FL turnpike all the way) and we found it interesting/boring. I suspect the drive from Tampa area would be similar, depending on the route you take.

But (you knew that was coming) in your case (just one passenger) I'd probably go ahead and fly. There is one more thing you may want to consider though, wrangling your bags at the airport each way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter