• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port of Miami Car Rental - Shuttle or Taxi?

UKfan1978

Earning My Ears
We rented a car with Hertz at the Port location but I read where it can be a hassle to get on the shuttle and then the location is unorganized. Has anyone experienced any different than that?

Would it be easier to get a taxi to another location or to the airport to rent a car? We are driving to Key West and would like to get the drive started sooner than later plus we have 3 little ones under the age of 6.

We haven't made our car ressies yet, but plan on catching a cab to the rental facility. I don't find it pleasant to wait for the shuttle and then be crammed in and have people drop bags on my foot (it happens almost everytime!), and dislike the long lines at the counter that form when the shuttle unloads.

We like to disembark early, and there can be a wait for a car. The agencies swap out vehicles from the folks driving to the port to get on the ships, which is later than the people getting off the boat wanting to pick up cars. We'd like to get to the space center on arrival day, so want to get a car as quickly as possible.

Thanks - I am tempted to just rent a car and not deal with the shuttle and get their quicker

We rented a car with Hertz at the Port location but I read where it can be a hassle to get on the shuttle and then the location is unorganized. Has anyone experienced any different than that?

Would it be easier to get a taxi to another location or to the airport to rent a car? We are driving to Key West and would like to get the drive started sooner than later plus we have 3 little ones under the age of 6.

The drive to Key West is a long one with several miles of just beach access with no restrooms in between. With 3 under 6? Hope you are not planning on coming back that same day...

MIA is only 20 minutes away so you could easily take a cab there but you might need to do a shuttle at the airport in any way - not sure if MIA has rental pickups at the actual airport.

Here you go....I cut and pasted my post from the other thread here for you.

We were on the 10/27/13 Magic (2nd sailing after drydock).

Here is our experience. Probably more info than you asked for but thought it may help others doing a similar plan.

We picked up a car in MCO and spent a few days at WDW. We arrived at MIA the morning of the cruise at 9:30 to drop off our rental car. We dropped off the car with no problem and were directed upstairs to the Alamo shuttle pick up area. If you book with Alamo/Enterprise you can ride their shuttle to the port of Miami for free. There was absolutely no one around at 9:40 while we were waiting for the shuttle. We waiting about 15 minutes and a shuttle arrived and dropped some DCL passengers off who just got off the 2 night cruise. The driver asked us for our Alamo paperwork and checked it before he let us on the bus. The ride to the port was about 20 minutes with no traffic (on a Sunday). Porters were waiting for us and we handed over our luggage right away. The shuttle drops you at the other end of the port area so we had a bit of a walk along the port building to get to where DCL was. We got to the port about 10:20 and there about 50 people already milling around the outside the doors waiting to be let in. There were 2 doors for entry with no difference on which you waited at. People started forming lines on their own so we lined up in front of the left door. Port staff said they were still debarking passengers so it would a bit before we were let in the terminal. I can't remember exactly but we were let in shortly after about 10:40 or so. We entered and had to go up an escalator where they had the x-ray machines for carry on luggage. After we got through that we continued through the terminal to the check in area. There are some DCL signage around and they did break the line down into the different CC levels. Silver/Gold together and Platinum/Concierge. We checked in fairly quickly and waited to board. There did look like a Concierge lounge area. The entrance to board was at the opposite end of the terminal from the Concierge lounge but they may have had their own entrance to the upper level of the terminal. At about 11:35 they finally called the family of the day and then boarding group 1 (after I was told 5 minutes before by a port worker that boarding would be at 1:00). We went up another escalator and walked on the upper level of the terminal a ways to the gangway. We entered the ship on Deck 4 and our names were announced.

Here are some pics of the car rental center Alamo shuttle pick up drop off area and outside the airport area waiting to be let in. If you are driving your own car there is a parking garage right there at the terminal. Can't vouch for its safety factor but many cars were parked there.

Waiting area for Alamo shuttle at the Miami Car Rental Center...we were the only ones there!!

2013-10-27093607_zps6ec30e49.jpg

2013-10-27093612_zps51d641d7.jpg

View from the shuttle as we were getting close to the port.

2013-10-27101021_zpsa32f9b29.jpg

After drop off and walking toward the entrance for DCL part of the terminal. I believe it was terminal F. At the end of this sidewalk we made a left under the blue roof.

2013-10-27101519_zpsfd446a8e.jpg

People waiting outside for terminal to open

2013-10-27101544_zps8745f91d.jpg

Door to the left. there was one to the right as well

2013-10-27101724_zps70063e2c.jpg

Some signage

2013-10-27104544_zpsf1088199.jpg

Inside terminal before it got crowded. It did get very crowded before boarding started.

2013-10-27105456_zpsd1f741e4.jpg

Check in station in the back of pic. Front of pic is where boarding starts and then you make a left and go up the escalator.

2013-10-27105501_zps86d30b4c.jpg

they had a separate room for character meet and greet in the terminal and her is a pic of Goofy arriving. He is on the upper walkway of the terminal at this point but came down to check level

2013-10-27110753_zpsc25c5448.jpg

Hope this helps someone. Once onboard we were directed to either Carioca's or Cabanas for lunch. We went up to Cabanas.

On the way back we did Express Walk Off and were off the ship by 7:30 am. There was an Alamo shuttle waiting and we rushed to get to it (a long walk) but it waited until more people came before it headed off back to MIA. They were checking people's paperwork to make sure they had an Alamo rental or they would not let you take the shuttle.

At MIA there was a HUGE long line at Alamo. Luckily as we were entering the queue an Alamo rep asked us where we were from and if we already had a rental. We said NY and yes and he directed us off the long line and to a Kiosk where another Alamo rep helped us with getting the car. Took about 6 minutes and we were walking to pick up our rental. Very convenient.

MJ

Thanks so much!! And no we aren't driving back to Miami. My dad snowbirds to Key West for a few months so we are going to stay with him and then fly home out of Key West.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much!! And no we aren't driving back to Miami. My dad snowbirds to Key West for a few months so we are going to stay with him and then fly home out of Key West.

Thanks again!

MIA is probably the easiest place to pick up a rental for the drive to Key West.

MJ

I took your advice and cancelled our Hertz reservation and booked a car through Costco Alamo at MIA

Glad I found this thread...
We have a car rented with Alamo after our June Miami cruise.

We too plan to do self walk off early so we can get to our car and get to Orlando by early afternoon!:goodvibes

Glad to hear the Alamo shuttle was waiting at 7:30am.....Makes me happy!:rotfl:

I will make sure I check out the kiosk too since all our paperwork will be complete and we just need to pick up the car from the airport Alamo.

Thank you!

I took your advice and cancelled our Hertz reservation and booked a car through Costco Alamo at MIA

We had a car booked thru Costco and Alamo for our cruise in March at MIA. Keep checking your reservation daily thru Costco. Our rental went down in price almost daily. I would just call Alamo and they would adjust price. Easy to use the shuttle from port to airport. Just have to show driver your reservation confirmation to get on shuttle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter