POR or POFQ

mykidsrock76

DIS Veteran
Good Morning!!!
I am at the beginning phase of planning our next Disney trip for September 2012. :yay: Now that we have narrowed down our dates, we need to choose a resort. We stayed at POR last time in 2009 and really enjoyed it. So, we are trying to decide if we want to go back to POR or try POFQ. I have checked out photos and reviews and cannot decide. Please give me any pros and cons that you know of both since it has been a while since we've been to Disney. Or if you recommend a different mod, please tell me why. All opinions are welcome and needed, as I am planning on booking this tomorrow!!! :woohoo:

Wel I havent stayed at either BUT we are staying at POR as a coupls in early DEC and as a big GG with lots of kids next NOV. It seems to me, with children atleast that POR would be a better choice. Have you considered the Royal themed rooms? I see you have a DD and DS. They are not girly as they seem to be suited for both. The pool looks to me better and the slide is longer(just things I have read) It is a bigger resort compared to POFQ . Just my opinion HTH.

For a long time FQ was our favorite resort! Then we stayed at Beach Club! But, it is still my favorite moderate. What I love about FQ is that it is smaller and feels more quaint. After a day in the parks it just feels like another world. The downside is that it is so small. There is no on site TS restaurant, and the sundries shop and food court are not nearly as nice as Riverside. I frequently found myself walking over to Riverside to see if they ha something in the store that FQ didn't. It was a short walk and quite enjoyable, especially first thing in the morning, so I didn't have a problem with it.

That said... We will be staying at Riverside for the first time this December for 8 nights! Now that DS is too big to be in a crib, we have moved up to a trundle bed. I hope we like it because 8 nights is a long stay if we don't. I'm not worried though!

Good luck and have fun planning!

Have you considered the Royal themed rooms? I see you have a DD and DS. They are not girly as they seem to be suited for both. HTH.

I saw these rooms, but I am not sure they are worth the extra $$$. We are not in the room very often between the parks and the pool. But I will lhave to look at them closer. Might be something to consider.

What I love about FQ is that it is smaller and feels more quaint. After a day in the parks it just feels like another world. The downside is that it is so small. There is no on site TS restaurant, and the sundries shop and food court are not nearly as nice as Riverside. I frequently found myself walking over to Riverside to see if they ha something in the store that FQ didn't. It was a short walk and quite enjoyable, especially first thing in the morning, so I didn't have a problem with it.

Now that DS is too big to be in a crib, we have moved up to a trundle bed.

I like the look of FQ, but my husband is not crazy about it. My daughter really wants to stay there, as do I. The pool slide looks pretty fun. We never used the TS restuarant at Riverside, but LOVED the food court! And we frequently used the store. Maybe staying at Riverside and walking over to FQ is a better option. I think, and correct me if I am wrong, we can use both pools. When we were at POR we had a trundle room as well. My oldest, now 18, was with us and we had one of the little ones sleep on it. It worked out really well. But again, we are not in the room too often.

We stayed at POFQ last Sept for 10 days and loved it. The ONLY negative I could find was the food court. It is very small and limited. The drink cooler has only a few choices, etc. We are staying at POR in march, so I cant say anything about it yet, except that the food court is way better (we walked over from POFQ). We are big food court people because we usually end up eating lunch there while taking a afternnon break from parks- but some people dont use them at all. POFQ is very quiet, small and nice.

I've stayed at both and love them both - it's a tough one to decide on!

For the FQ here are some pros:
* Size - in comparision to all the other mod's this resort is small, which I like. It's easy to get around and there is not a bad building in the resort. The parking is close to the building so you won't need to walk too far to your rooms.
* Theme - I've been enchanted with New Orleans since my 1st trip there in 1990 so this resort is a natural choice for me. It has some old New Orleans authentic touches ( although cleaner ) that makes this choice visually pleasing.

Cons for the FQ:
* Check In Area - the check in area is small, so if there are a lot of people checking in at once ( like once you get off the ME ) it can see overly crowded.
* Bar Area - the bar area is also a bit smaller so this too can see really crowded with only a few people inside. It can also be tough to get a table.
* Main Pool Area - on the smaller side. Fills up quickly. Rooms near the main pool can be a bit noisy.

Pros for POR:
*Theme - Two old south themes in one resort - love it! The Bayou Section is sooo visually pleasing. Lots of greenery and plants. The Mansion Section is beautiful as well - very regal looking.
*Main Pool Area - large with a great bar attached!

Cons for POR:
* Size - this resort is very, very large. It can sometimes make getting around cumbersome.

I love that you can go between the resorts via the walkway near the river. For either resort the location is great. Easy access to DTD and all the theme parks. Travel times between this resort to all theme parks is easy and within a few minute drive.

We just got back from a 6 night stay at POFQ and loved it. I've stayed at both POR resorts and FQ is my favorite. I love the theming and the atmosphere. I also like how it's small and quiet. I feel like I'm walking around a quaint little city when I'm there. I didn't mind the food court and had my first beignet while there. DD is a huge Tiana fan, so beignets were a must!

When we checked in, my kids were given Mardi Gras beads and a jester performed some magic tricks for them, giving them some Mardi Gras coins, too.

The pool was fun, they loved the slide and playing with the alligator statues around the pool.

Because the resort is so small, there is only 1 bus stop. For me, that's one of the biggest negatives with Riverside, the multiple bus stops. I don't like it when my resort bus is already full when it comes to my stop because we're the last one on the route.

IMO, the TS restaurant at Riverside is not good, so that's not a draw for us to the resort.

Riverside is a beautiful resort, but it is very big. It does have things FQ doesn't, but if you prefer the FQ theming and a small, quiet resort, then you can always walk over to Riverside. That way you can have the best of both resorts.

Keep in mind that September is a popular free dining time - and POR was 100% booked when we were there 9/15 to 9/21 this year - so we ended up taking the bus to POFQ and walking back most days because the lines for a bus to POR were incredibly long. POFQ is much more compact, so after a long day of walking and possibly standing on the bus, it's a relatively short walk to your room. Even when we took the buses back to POR, it was an 8-12 minute walk to our room (more like 15 by the end of the trip, lol). You can use the amenities for both no matter which side you choose.

We stayed at POR two weeks ago for the second time. We walked over to POFQ for breakfast one day and found their food court to be much smaller and much more crowded than the POR one ever was. POR probably has more choices but I actually liked the choices at POFQ better - they have choco chip pancakes and beignets which POR does not! I also like the main pool and quiet pools at POR. I would stay at POFQ but if I had a choice, I'd pick POR.

I prefer POR-Riverside
-Option of quiet pools
-Love the theming
-better (IMO) food court. If I want beignets I'll take a stroll!
-larger resort store

I like that Riverside is more spread out, it feels less crowded, and the landscapping is beautiful. No place is really that far away. There are many bridges across the river to get where you're going.

Having stayed at both properties I can tell you that you won't go wrong with either resort. POFQ is a smaller property so it's a little more cozy. but doesn't have the amenities that POR has. POR has bigger pool but tends to be more crowded. POR has TS restaurant and POFQ doesn't. All this being said and I could go on. POFQ and POR allow it's guests to use the others facilities. So stay at POFQ if you want it a little more rest or POR if you want more things to do. But what ever you do take the family to POR and see PIANO BOB. It's an awesome show and it's free!!!

Thank you to everyone for the replies. I am leaning toward French Quarter since we are still able to walk next door to Riverside to the food court and/or pool. Since we have already stayed at Riverside, I'd like to give French Quarter a try. Thanks again!!!!

We just got back yesterday from FQ and loved it. The size was probably the biggest thing. We were originally booked for CBR and I changed to FQ after I realized just how huge CBR was.

I far prefer the themeing and feel of POR to POFQ. However, if not having to do much walking around the resort and not wanting to pay for a preferred room is important to you, then go POFQ. POR is very spread out and there coud be, based on the buidling you get, a good deal of walking.

Just wanted to add that we found the bus depot at POFQ to be more crowded than any of the depots at POR. Probably because there is one and there is four at POR. So if thats a concern for you, something to keep in mind.

Having stayed at both I really like POR over POFQ. I felt that POFQ's theming was a bit cheesy and chintzy as opposed to the amazing theming of POR. I feel POR has a big advantage in the food court, but you can always take a stroll down to POFQ for their food court if you like. I like the sprawling layout of POR, simply for the reason that when the hotel is full, it doesn't feel as full. POFQ does have a more compact layout so if walking is an issue, then that is something to consider. And I really like the pool at POR over the pool at POFQ. While the slide at POFQ may look better, the slide at POR is actually a better slide and the pool is bigger. Plus all the boats, bikes and activities are up at POR. POR is hands down my favorite mod!

I prefer POR. Quiet pools, more secluded areas (if you like that) more bus stops, bigger food court, etc. Plus, you can walk/ride over to POFQ any time you wish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter