• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Popcorn making

My daughters friend was telling her about that plastic thing from amazon. So my daughter decided to see what would happen if she put some oil and popcorn kernels into my glass microwave bowl with a plate on top.
Now the house smells like burned popcorn. And I told her she'd better be able to get the glass bowl clean or she's buying me a new one.

We used to have one of those air poppers until it broke. I never liked it. The popcorn was so plain tasting.

If you make a lot of popcorn.. we have this and it's one of the most used gifts in our house. I'd say we've had it for 6 years or so. https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northe...d=1514760903&sr=1-26&keywords=popcorn+machine. There are smaller ones and table top versions too. We are pigs, and running this once makes two HUGE (think the largest bucket at the theater) bowls at a time. There are packets you can buy, but we use 1/4 c of vegetable oil and 1 cup of popcorn. (I believe that is supposed to be 8 servings, but like I said earlier..) Then we drizzle it with butter and salt. We use it about once a week and it is a fun addition to the basement rec room.

If you make a lot of popcorn.. we have this and it's one of the most used gifts in our house. I'd say we've had it for 6 years or so. https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northe...d=1514760903&sr=1-26&keywords=popcorn+machine. There are smaller ones and table top versions too. We are pigs, and running this once makes two HUGE (think the largest bucket at the theater) bowls at a time. There are packets you can buy, but we use 1/4 c of vegetable oil and 1 cup of popcorn. (I believe that is supposed to be 8 servings, but like I said earlier..) Then we drizzle it with butter and salt. We use it about once a week and it is a fun addition to the basement rec room.
I would LOOOOOOOVE one of these! However for now I am enjoying our Cuisinart Easy Pop machine...

My daughters friend was telling her about that plastic thing from amazon. So my daughter decided to see what would happen if she put some oil and popcorn kernels into my glass microwave bowl with a plate on top.
Now the house smells like burned popcorn. And I told her she'd better be able to get the glass bowl clean or she's buying me a new one.

We used to have one of those air poppers until it broke. I never liked it. The popcorn was so plain tasting.

Well of course it is flavorless. But that is kind of the idea. Instead of swimming it in fat to pop it, you pop it fat free. Then you can put your own flavorings on it and on average, it's still going to be better for you.

We have this. I keep it on the counter. It always tastes great, and clean up is simple.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/cuis...MIj-ag-ei02AIVwlYNCh1W_w2OEAQYBiABEgKcn_D_BwE

cuisinart-hot-air-popcorn-maker.jpg

I have the same one and I very lightly spray the popcorn with coconut oil and then add salt and nutritional yeast and it's delicious. Much healthier than saturated in butter or oil.

I have the same one and I very lightly spray the popcorn with coconut oil and then add salt and nutritional yeast and it's delicious. Much healthier than saturated in butter or oil.
I like a little sea salt, DS melts some butter, and I also keep on hand some of those flavor shakers - I think they have cheddar cheese and ranch, etc.

Use to have air popper.Need to byy a new one. Also had a microwave one a while back. Air popper worked way better in my oppinion and like that I am using no oil, along with the butter I put on. Didn't use oil when I opped in microwave either. Maybe thas why I didn't like.

I use a large Pyrex bowl and add 1/3 cup kernels with one tablespoon oil. Then cover the bowl with a dinner plate and microwave for 4-5 minutes. Works like a charm! And doesn't have any gross chemicals that you find in microwaveable popcorn.
That’s exactly what I do!

You can also just throw the kernels into a paper bag and throw it in the microwave. That's what I used to do in college!

That's what we do, and we're long past college. :teacher: We just use about 1/3-1/2 c of regular popcorn kernels and a lunch size paper sack with the top folded down really well. About 2 - 2 1/2 minutes in the microwave. The kernels come out perfectly popped (usually with a few duds to avoid burning.) Then we melt a little real butter in the microwave, pour that on and salt.

Ok, I will admit that was possibly worthy of r/iamveryculinary (a reddit forum devoted to ridiculous/pretentious food posts). I get that way sometimes, lol. :o :scared::lmao:
It just made me chuckle thinking popcorn is supposed to be simple! Lol

We have a hot air popper and haven’t used microwave bag popcorn in years. We were at holiday gift exchange and one of the gifts was a glass bowl, with plastic top/cap. It was a microwave popcorn popper using regular kernels. Anyone use something like this with regular kernels?

Popcorn is possibly my favorite food, I take it seriously. What you have will likely disappoint you in the long run. Microwave poppers tend to have a lot of incomplete pops, and just middling performance overall. Making sure there is a good amount of oil in the bottom will help.

Hot air poppers also disappoint me. If you want the best popcorn at home you need to find an electric popper with a rotating "sweep". West Bend makes one called Stir Crazy that's been around forever and it's awesome. Cut your oil with a bit of coconut oil or (even better) tallow. Season it with a popcorn salt called FlavaCol for the perfect movie theater experience.

Popcorn is possibly my favorite food, I take it seriously. What you have will likely disappoint you in the long run. Microwave poppers tend to have a lot of incomplete pops, and just middling performance overall. Making sure there is a good amount of oil in the bottom will help.

Hot air poppers also disappoint me. If you want the best popcorn at home you need to find an electric popper with a rotating "sweep". West Bend makes one called Stir Crazy that's been around forever and it's awesome. Cut your oil with a bit of coconut oil or (even better) tallow. Season it with a popcorn salt called FlavaCol for the perfect movie theater experience.

I actually have one of those. When I'm home, I just use the stove, but I travel a lot for work. I've been known to bring my popcorn supplies . . . :)

I love popcorn, too. A year ago, I had 10 varieties up in my cupboard, but I had to admit after all the trying of various strains--my favorite is Orville Redenbacher. So that's all we have now. (Alton Brown disses it, but it's what tastes comfortable and familiar to me).

I use the Whirley Pop for the stove top at least 3 times per week, love it, in case anyone wants to get away from microwaving it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter