Pop Room Review/ News you can use 12 2-12 15

Ninja Mom

Attention People of Earth, I come in Peace...
I've returned from a two week stay at Pop. My room was in the 90's building (91XX) and it was one of the ones that was refurbished.

The first thing that stands out is the overall "Hospital" feel of the room. There is fluorescent lighting in the room but the side lamps by the bed do radiate with the yellow that we expect from an incandescent bulb. The lighting overhead of the Murphy bed and the disk light on the wall are straight up white fluorescent with no flickering. When only these lights are in use you have the feeling you are in an office or a hospital room... ugh.

Now we'll get to the floors... I know the majority of the people polled on the floor issue preferred to have laminate flooring but I suspect many of them are going to regret that decision once they experience these refurbished Pop floors. The floors are DIRTY. We are talking sock blackening dirty. I spoke with my other friends who were staying at Pop at the same time and they all noticed the same dirty floor problem. I read up on these new rooms prior to my trip and brought slippers but it was a pain in the bottom to have to put them on every time you had to get out of bed. I tried using a towel as a beside carpet but I had to give up on that as it proved to be a tripping hazard.

It was just myself in the room but if you have kids you are doomed regarding all the dirt that will be tracked in to your Pop room. I was leaving my shoes at the door and transferring to slippers, so that helped cut down on adding any additional dirt. However if you are dealing with a room in which the floors are already dirty at check in (and you will...) keeping the floors as clean as possible by not wearing sneakers in the room is useless.

I know people like to bash carpet but at least the surface dirt can fall lower into the fibers and move away from the top surface. Carpet is also probably being vacuumed more regularly than the hard surface flooring is being cleaned. In the entire two weeks that I was at Pop I was not aware of any attempts to clean my floor and I could see the same dirty water stains (from a rainy night) over by the door where I changed from sneakers to slippers for my entire trip. I did not bother housekeeping with the dirty floor issue because these floors needed more than the swiffer type of cleaning that they are equipped to perform. If the housekeepers only have an ineffective method to clean the floor, asking them to repeatedly attempt to fix the problem with inadequate equipment is useless.

The other thing that stands out is how hard and uncomfortable the floors are to walk on after a long day of standing around at the parks. I'm thinking that most people have laminate over plywood in their homes but the floors at Pop are rock hard, much like concrete. Again this is something that you find in a hospital room and it does not make for a comfortable stay. I found myself dreading having to deal with those hard floors when I came back to the room after a long day at Disney.

Now we'll get to the beds. The good news is that they are queen size, they have new mattresses and they are softer than the low budget, thinly padded tanks that came with the full size beds. The bad news is that they are on platforms that are too long and they have corners that stick out. There is only about two feet separating the beds, which isn't a problem until you have to leave that aisle and turn to go left or right into the aisle near the dresser. I found myself constantly bumping my leg into the corner on the Murphy bed. Even when I knew it was there and I was consciously trying to avoid it, I would bump anyway. This is yet another aggravating factor about the new room configuration.

The bedside table between the beds is way too small, especially with the room phone on it. The room phone takes up over a third of the space on an already too small table and there is no place to put it unless you unplug it completely. Yeah sure the USB plugs are nice but not if you have to find room to put your cell phone down along with the remote and the other stuff that you need room for next to the bed. I found myself stacking the water bottle on the room phone and my cell phone on a box of tissues. There is a lower cubicle underneath this table but the stuff you have by the bed are items that you need to get to easily. This bedside table is a miss as well and it would have been better to put shelves in this area to provide more functional storage for the items that you need to have next to the bed.

I did not use the safe or dresser.

As far as the bathroom is concerned, the fan in mine was on 24 hours a day. I did not find that a problem but it wasn't whisper quiet so that may be a problem for some. The dual shower heads were nice so I considered that a plus.

Now I will get to a problem that proved insurmountable and that was the Wi-Fi, or lack thereof in the room. Pop Century is my go to resort. I have stayed there many times, most frequently in the building that I was in, within a few doors of the room in which I stayed before the refurbishment. Before this stay I have never had problems with the Wi-Fi at Pop. Both upload and download speeds have always been fine with no problems...

Not during this stay. After this refurbishment The Disney supplied Wi-Fi was UNUSABLE. It was frequently losing signal, if you could get a signal at all. At one point I took my laptop for a walk around my building to see if it was my room location and the same problem was evident around my entire building. It was almost as though Disney wanted you to use YOUR phone's wireless provider and not their network. I say that because my Verizon service was virtually flawless with fast speeds both for uploads and downloads on my phone.

At one point I measured the speed of the Disney Wi-Fi and downloads came in at a whopping 5MB/sec.. I thought that tested faster than it actually was, especially when you consider that it was constantly going off and on and your pages were freezing.

In the booklet supplied with the room there is a 2 digit number to dial when you are having problems with the Wi-Fi. The person on the other end laconically repeated the party line that "They would send someone out to look at it". A few days passed and the problem was not getting better. Then, after a late night/early morning work session, I had to upload files (8-14mbs) for a work project and they were constantly timing out with the chronic interruptions in service. I spent close to an hour trying over and over again to successfully send 8 separate files.

When I called Tech support AGAIN later that morning the person answering repeated the same line. When I explained that I called 3 days earlier, heard the same line and it hadn't gotten better he responded that a lot of people were using the Wi-Fi and that upload speeds were only meant for small email files. I explained to him that I couldn't conceive that a lot of people were online at 4AM when I had finished my work and tried to send the files. He didn't really have an answer for that other then "they would send someone out to look at the problem". I probably should have asked what time they were coming so I could meet with them to discuss the problem, but you and I both know that no one was ever coming and that they knew exactly why there was a problem.

I suspect that Disney is advertising that they provide Wi-Fi but that the network that is in place can not support the number of people that need to use it. It's far more cost effective for Disney if they provide shoddy service and force guests to resort to their phone carriers for their internet needs. This proved to be a problem for me because I did not have the means to connect my laptop to my phone and use the phone's Verizon Wi-Fi signal.

If you have work projects that you will need internet access for, it's best that you don't depend on any Disney networks. I say this because some people do have to work while they are on vacation. Also be aware that Skyping without reliable internet is a disaster as well. Skype charges a fee to connect from your phone but it is free from a laptop. It's not going to impress your clients when the screen freezes or disconnects and you are constantly losing audio.

I did go to the front desk at Pop to report this problem. They defaulted to the number that I was supposed to call and when I told them that I called twice and still had unresolved problems the CM said she would report it to "higher ups". I just hope that the "Higher ups" aren't waiting for Tech Support to come to their assistance because I suspect it's going to be a long, fruitless wait.

Now on to other things concerning the room. The "beverage cooler" in the room was the first one that I used that didn't freeze everything solid. I have a feeling that even though there is a temp adjustment inside the fridge it's simply a non-functioning decoration. I didn't mess with it so your mileage may vary.

It was colder than normal outdoors during my stay so I didn't notice any problems with the AC being deficient.

Bus service was not good, both coming and going. It is true that the time period that I went 12/2-12/15 was more crowded than it has traditionally been, but Disney was unprepared to keep up with the longer bus lines and their strategy in dealing with this was to cram in standees to uncomfortable levels or the bus driver would refuse to leave. This was the first time I have experienced multiple bus drivers regularly threatening guests with refusals to leave unless they could cram more people into an already filled bus. Nice.....

The TV is awesome with fantastic picture resolution. Everyone on screen had wrinkles or needed a shave, including the children.

MDE was a disaster to use on in park Wi-Fi and in all it's awkward glory on YOUR Wi-Fi. Practice at home using this app so you know where everything is located. The people that wrote the App do not make all parts of it easy for casual users to understand. These software people are probably "cousins" to to the same techs that will (not) becoming out to check on your room Wi-Fi signal. ; )

Disney's Magical Express (DME) is a good deal when you are headed to Disney but it's devolving into a problem during your return trip. A while back some genius decided that the return DME was only going to drop people off at one side of the terminal. That means that you have to hoof it over to the other side if that's where your airline is located. It's not far but it is a challenge if you have to wrangle children and the carry on baggage or if you don't know your way around the airport. This is just yet another Disney example of asking you to pay more and providing less. It's no skin off of their noses if half of the guests are inconvenienced by not being dropped off on the correct side of the airport.

Also be advised that if people traveling in your party have different names or hyphenated names, Resort Airline Luggage check in FROM A DISNEY RESORT may not be available and you may have to schlep ALL of your suitcases & carryons around the airport until you get to the correct side that has your airline. I've heard that this was the result of a problem with the software that the Non-Disney vendor was using for the Resort Luggage check in but this part has not been confirmed.

The new torture is that return DME passengers are required to report 4 hours before their flights for transport to the airport. I believe it was TSA that requested this EARLIER pick up time, which makes it all the more charming when you learn that TSA IS NOT LETTING PASSENGERS GO THROUGH SCREENING UNTIL 2 HOURS BEFORE THEIR DEPARTURE TIME.
This results in a mountain of people hanging around the front of the TSA lines waiting for their time to go through.

I'm guessing that the earlier times are because of more complete baggage screening. Also be advised that those new kind of suitcases with the lithium Ion battery powered USB charging ports and/or tracking software and remote locking capability are NOT being accepted AS CHECKED BAGGAGE by more and more airlines unless the batteries can be removed and carried on with the passenger.

So in summary:
The floors are dirty and housekeeping does not have adequate means to clean them effectively.
This is a problem that is going to get worse as time goes by. Be prepared and bring slippers or simply do not remove your shoes when you are in the room. Other than that housekeeping was fine. I had the chance to speak with my housekeeper on multiple occasions and she always took care of my requests. I did get the feeling that the housekeepers are in rotation all over the resort as I did not have any housekeepers that were regulars for my room for more that a few days at a time.

The room has an uncomfortable vibe with awkward lighting and brutally hard floors that are unforgivable on sore feet. Get used to that corner of the Murphy bed hitting your shins. The only plus in the refurb in my opinion is the new shower heads.

Forget about using Disney Wi-Fi. It's a problem in the parks and now it's a problem at the resorts. My Verizon signal strength was always strong so be prepared to use your cell phone carrier and have enough data in your plan to support your usage levels where ever you may roam at Disney.

In closing I have decided that I will be looking to stay elsewhere for my next Disney vacation, most likely off property. I'm very tired of paying more and getting less. This latest round of higher prices, a lack of discounts, dirty, uncomfortable floors, absent Wi-Fi and inefficient bus service has finally driven me off site. When you factor in the addition of the Gondola system at Pop you just know the room rates are going to skyrocket and the erosion of basic services will continue.

I intend to write a letter to Guest Services highlighting my concerns. If they don't get the feedback they won't really care about all the misfires, if in fact caring is still on the menu with Disney. The biggest impact towards change will occur when enough people look elsewhere for their resort options. I'll be voting with my wallet and staying someplace else that is far more comfortable and one that has attractive pricing that actually matches the quality of the resort. Good luck with your stay. I hope the information provided here will help you with your decision making when it comes time to chose your location.

~NM

I've returned from a two week stay at Pop. My room was in the 90's building (91XX) and it was one of the ones that was refurbished.

The first thing that stands out is the overall "Hospital" feel of the room. There is fluorescent lighting in the room but the side lamps by the bed do radiate with the yellow that we expect from an incandescent bulb. The lighting overhead of the Murphy bed and the disk light on the wall are straight up white fluorescent with no flickering. When only these lights are in use you have the feeling you are in an office or a hospital room... ugh.

Now we'll get to the floors... I know the majority of the people polled on the floor issue preferred to have laminate flooring but I suspect many of them are going to regret that decision once they experience these refurbished Pop floors. The floors are DIRTY. We are talking sock blackening dirty. I spoke with my other friends who were staying at Pop at the same time and they all noticed the same dirty floor problem. I read up on these new rooms prior to my trip and brought slippers but it was a pain in the bottom to have to put them on every time you had to get out of bed. I tried using a towel as a beside carpet but I had to give up on that as it proved to be a tripping hazard.

It was just myself in the room but if you have kids you are doomed regarding all the dirt that will be tracked in to your Pop room. I was leaving my shoes at the door and transferring to slippers, so that helped cut down on adding any additional dirt. However if you are dealing with a room in which the floors are already dirty at check in (and you will...) keeping the floors as clean as possible by not wearing sneakers in the room is useless.

I know people like to bash carpet but at least the surface dirt can fall lower into the fibers and move away from the top surface. Carpet is also probably being vacuumed more regularly than the hard surface flooring is being cleaned. In the entire two weeks that I was at Pop I was not aware of any attempts to clean my floor and I could see the same dirty water stains (from a rainy night) over by the door where I changed from sneakers to slippers for my entire trip. I did not bother housekeeping with the dirty floor issue because these floors needed more than the swiffer type of cleaning that they are equipped to perform. If the housekeepers only have an ineffective method to clean the floor, asking them to repeatedly attempt to fix the problem with inadequate equipment is useless.

The other thing that stands out is how hard and uncomfortable the floors are to walk on after a long day of standing around at the parks. I'm thinking that most people have laminate over plywood in their homes but the floors at Pop are rock hard, much like concrete. Again this is something that you find in a hospital room and it does not make for a comfortable stay. I found myself dreading having to deal with those hard floors when I came back to the room after a long day at Disney.

Now we'll get to the beds. The good news is that they are queen size, they have new mattresses and they are softer than the low budget, thinly padded tanks that came with the full size beds. The bad news is that they are on platforms that are too long and they have corners that stick out. There is only about two feet separating the beds, which isn't a problem until you have to leave that aisle and turn to go left or right into the aisle near the dresser. I found myself constantly bumping my leg into the corner on the Murphy bed. Even when I knew it was there and I was consciously trying to avoid it, I would bump anyway. This is yet another aggravating factor about the new room configuration.

The bedside table between the beds is way too small, especially with the room phone on it. The room phone takes up over a third of the space on an already too small table and there is no place to put it unless you unplug it completely. Yeah sure the USB plugs are nice but not if you have to find room to put your cell phone down along with the remote and the other stuff that you need room for next to the bed. I found myself stacking the water bottle on the room phone and my cell phone on a box of tissues. There is a lower cubicle underneath this table but the stuff you have by the bed are items that you need to get to easily. This bedside table is a miss as well and it would have been better to put shelves in this area to provide more functional storage for the items that you need to have next to the bed.

I did not use the safe or dresser.

As far as the bathroom is concerned, the fan in mine was on 24 hours a day. I did not find that a problem but it wasn't whisper quiet so that may be a problem for some. The dual shower heads were nice so I considered that a plus.

Now I will get to a problem that proved insurmountable and that was the Wi-Fi, or lack thereof in the room. Pop Century is my go to resort. I have stayed there many times, most frequently in the building that I was in, within a few doors of the room in which I stayed before the refurbishment. Before this stay I have never had problems with the Wi-Fi at Pop. Both upload and download speeds have always been fine with no problems...

Not during this stay. After this refurbishment The Disney supplied Wi-Fi was UNUSABLE. It was frequently losing signal, if you could get a signal at all. At one point I took my laptop for a walk around my building to see if it was my room location and the same problem was evident around my entire building. It was almost as though Disney wanted you to use YOUR phone's wireless provider and not their network. I say that because my Verizon service was virtually flawless with fast speeds both for uploads and downloads on my phone.

At one point I measured the speed of the Disney Wi-Fi and downloads came in at a whopping 5MB/sec.. I thought that tested faster than it actually was, especially when you consider that it was constantly going off and on and your pages were freezing.

In the booklet supplied with the room there is a 2 digit number to dial when you are having problems with the Wi-Fi. The person on the other end laconically repeated the party line that "They would send someone out to look at it". A few days passed and the problem was not getting better. Then, after a late night/early morning work session, I had to upload files (8-14mbs) for a work project and they were constantly timing out with the chronic interruptions in service. I spent close to an hour trying over and over again to successfully send 8 separate files.

When I called Tech support AGAIN later that morning the person answering repeated the same line. When I explained that I called 3 days earlier, heard the same line and it hadn't gotten better he responded that a lot of people were using the Wi-Fi and that upload speeds were only meant for small email files. I explained to him that I couldn't conceive that a lot of people were online at 4AM when I had finished my work and tried to send the files. He didn't really have an answer for that other then "they would send someone out to look at the problem". I probably should have asked what time they were coming so I could meet with them to discuss the problem, but you and I both know that no one was ever coming and that they knew exactly why there was a problem.

I suspect that Disney is advertising that they provide Wi-Fi but that the network that is in place can not support the number of people that need to use it. It's far more cost effective for Disney if they provide shoddy service and force guests to resort to their phone carriers for their internet needs. This proved to be a problem for me because I did not have the means to connect my laptop to my phone and use the phone's Verizon Wi-Fi signal.

If you have work projects that you will need internet access for, it's best that you don't depend on any Disney networks. I say this because some people do have to work while they are on vacation. Also be aware that Skyping without reliable internet is a disaster as well. Skype charges a fee to connect from your phone but it is free from a laptop. It's not going to impress your clients when the screen freezes or disconnects and you are constantly losing audio.

I did go to the front desk at Pop to report this problem. They defaulted to the number that I was supposed to call and when I told them that I called twice and still had unresolved problems the CM said she would report it to "higher ups". I just hope that the "Higher ups" aren't waiting for Tech Support to come to their assistance because I suspect it's going to be a long, fruitless wait.

Now on to other things concerning the room. The "beverage cooler" in the room was the first one that I used that didn't freeze everything solid. I have a feeling that even though there is a temp adjustment inside the fridge it's simply a non-functioning decoration. I didn't mess with it so your mileage may vary.

It was colder than normal outdoors during my stay so I didn't notice any problems with the AC being deficient.

Bus service was not good, both coming and going. It is true that the time period that I went 12/2-12/15 was more crowded than it has traditionally been, but Disney was unprepared to keep up with the longer bus lines and their strategy in dealing with this was to cram in standees to uncomfortable levels or the bus driver would refuse to leave. This was the first time I have experienced multiple bus drivers regularly threatening guests with refusals to leave unless they could cram more people into an already filled bus. Nice.....

The TV is awesome with fantastic picture resolution. Everyone on screen had wrinkles or needed a shave, including the children.

MDE was a disaster to use on in park Wi-Fi and in all it's awkward glory on YOUR Wi-Fi. Practice at home using this app so you know where everything is located. The people that wrote the App do not make all parts of it easy for casual users to understand. These software people are probably "cousins" to to the same techs that will (not) becoming out to check on your room Wi-Fi signal. ; )

Disney's Magical Express (DME) is a good deal when you are headed to Disney but it's devolving into a problem during your return trip. A while back some genius decided that the return DME was only going to drop people off at one side of the terminal. That means that you have to hoof it over to the other side if that's where your airline is located. It's not far but it is a challenge if you have to wrangle children and the carry on baggage or if you don't know your way around the airport. This is just yet another Disney example of asking you to pay more and providing less. It's no skin off of their noses if half of the guests are inconvenienced by not being dropped off on the correct side of the airport.

Also be advised that if people traveling in your party have different names or hyphenated names, Resort Airline Luggage check in FROM A DISNEY RESORT may not be available and you may have to schlep ALL of your suitcases & carryons around the airport until you get to the correct side that has your airline. I've heard that this was the result of a problem with the software that the Non-Disney vendor was using for the Resort Luggage check in but this part has not been confirmed.

The new torture is that return DME passengers are required to report 4 hours before their flights for transport to the airport. I believe it was TSA that requested this EARLIER pick up time, which makes it all the more charming when you learn that TSA IS NOT LETTING PASSENGERS GO THROUGH SCREENING UNTIL 2 HOURS BEFORE THEIR DEPARTURE TIME.
This results in a mountain of people hanging around the front of the TSA lines waiting for their time to go through.

I'm guessing that the earlier times are because of more complete baggage screening. Also be advised that those new kind of suitcases with the lithium Ion battery powered USB charging ports and/or tracking software and remote locking capability are NOT being accepted AS CHECKED BAGGAGE by more and more airlines unless the batteries can be removed and carried on with the passenger.

So in summary:
The floors are dirty and housekeeping does not have adequate means to clean them effectively.
This is a problem that is going to get worse as time goes by. Be prepared and bring slippers or simply do not remove your shoes when you are in the room. Other than that housekeeping was fine. I had the chance to speak with my housekeeper on multiple occasions and she always took care of my requests. I did get the feeling that the housekeepers are in rotation all over the resort as I did not have any housekeepers that were regulars for my room for more that a few days at a time.

The room has an uncomfortable vibe with awkward lighting and brutally hard floors that are unforgivable on sore feet. Get used to that corner of the Murphy bed hitting your shins. The only plus in the refurb in my opinion is the new shower heads.

Forget about using Disney Wi-Fi. It's a problem in the parks and now it's a problem at the resorts. My Verizon signal strength was always strong so be prepared to use your cell phone carrier and have enough data in your plan to support your usage levels where ever you may roam at Disney.

In closing I have decided that I will be looking to stay elsewhere for my next Disney vacation, most likely off property. I'm very tired of paying more and getting less. This latest round of higher prices, a lack of discounts, dirty, uncomfortable floors, absent Wi-Fi and inefficient bus service has finally driven me off site. When you factor in the addition of the Gondola system at Pop you just know the room rates are going to skyrocket and the erosion of basic services will continue.

I intend to write a letter to Guest Services highlighting my concerns. If they don't get the feedback they won't really care about all the misfires, if in fact caring is still on the menu with Disney. The biggest impact towards change will occur when enough people look elsewhere for their resort options. I'll be voting with my wallet and staying someplace else that is far more comfortable and one that has attractive pricing that actually matches the quality of the resort. Good luck with your stay. I hope the information provided here will help you with your decision making when it comes time to chose your location.

~NM

The DME has only ever stopped one place at MCO since I first used it in 2011, that's not anything new.

And the change from 3 hours to 4 was at the request of the Airport or TSA, not Disney, so it's kind of unfair to blame Disney for that.

We've never had any problems with the internet at Pop, and my DH always has to upload databases for work and use the meeting software. It's unfortunate that they weren't on top of fixing it for you when you had trouble with it.

As for the renovated room issues, I'm hoping to get a renovated room next month, so hopefully I'll get to see for myself then. I have seen numerous people mention walking into the corners of the bedframe as an issue. I suppose when you put two bigger beds in the space that was originally designed for full beds, there will be some issues, it's just a tradeoff, floor/walking space vs. bigger beds. I'm all for the bigger beds.

The DME has only ever stopped one place at MCO since I first used it in 2011, that's not anything new.
I never said that it was new... from my post: " A while back some genius decided that the return DME was only going to drop people off at one side of the terminal. " I'm fairly certain that they were still dropping off at both sides later than 2011 but I could be wrong. I seem to remember in 2012 we were dropped off on the second stop.

And the change from 3 hours to 4 was at the request of the Airport or TSA, not Disney, so it's kind of unfair to blame Disney for that.
I'm not blaming Disney, in fact I stated that I believed that it was the TSA that requested earlier drop off times. From my post: "I believe it was TSA that requested this EARLIER pick up time".

We've never had any problems with the internet at Pop, and my DH always has to upload databases for work and use the meeting software. It's unfortunate that they weren't on top of fixing it for you when you had trouble with it.

I am curious, have you stayed in a newly refurbished room and tried to use the Wi-Fi? or are your observations from a stay pre refurb or perhaps in a different building? I'm wondering if it was a problem specific to the building I was staying in post refurb. On previous stays before the refurb I have never had a problem with the WI-FI.

~NM

I think you just had a room with a bad WiFi spot or something. The WiFi is VASTLY improved at Disney over the past 18 months. As in, from useless to I now can go and use it and not need my cell server ever. Including using a VPN connection to my office computer and running it via remote access, complete with file transfers. Works like a champ, no dropping at all. And yes, this was recent, during a very busy time.

For ME, our first time to ride on it was the year New Fantasy Land opened, Dec 2012. They dropped only on 1 side of MCO at that time

We haven't stayed at a renovated room at Pop because we don't like Value resorts but have stayed in the ones at CC and YC and love them. Love no carpets, can't wait till all rooms get the updates. We have the same at home, including over concrete. The solution for being hard on the floors, we wear crocs in the house, and bring them to Disney. Or now Oofos sandals. Problem solved. At any rate, we never go barefoot walking around

I stayed at POP in one of the new rooms in September. Myself and my friend. We found the rooms to be amazing. The floors were clean and no harder than any other laminate flooring I have stepped on in bare feet, the beds comfy and the shower amazing. We were able to catch a bus within 20 minutes regardless of where we were going or coming from. Because I'm from Canada I only had the Disney wifi to make phone calls home and had perfect reception. Never once did either my friend or I hit the corners of the beds and mousekeeping was wonderful. I also absolutely loved using DME. I also found the lighting warm and comforting

I'm sorry you had such an awful time on your trip. I think that people's experiences are a mixture things that happen and people's view of what has occured. I definitely try to look at the positive in every situation. If I were not happy with my room I would have requested a switch to a non refurbished room and chalked it up to a learning experience and went on to enjoy the rest of my trip. While my stay wasn't perfect, as nothing ever is, I would have wanted to be happy and tried to find the positives.

I stayed at Pop in building 7 from 12/5 through 12/16, so our trips overlapped. I have stayed in renovated rooms in building 7 twice now, first on the fourth floor in the last room out toward the parking lot, and this past trip on the ground floor three rooms from the end towards the "potato heads". I did not have horrible wi-fi in either room. Granted, I did not have to work, but I did spend a lot of time on my iPad Pro watching videos after returning from the parks, and didn't have any issues with streaming, checking and sending emails with attachments, or accessing Disney's website to make changes to FP and dining. I have had some hit and miss wi-fi at various Disney resorts, even deluxe resorts, so I wouldn't avoid Pop just for that reason. You could be at Poly or GF and have wi-fi that is as bad or worse as what you experienced at Pop, depending on how close to the router you are and how strong their signal is, and how many people are on it.

I will agree that the wi-fi in the parks leaves a lot to be desired. I usually take a screen capture of my FP and put it on my phone as the wallpaper, so I can just touch a button and see the itinerary for the day. But trying to make additional FP or changes in the park can be a real headache. They do need to up their game in the parks when it's almost mandatory to be on the wi-fi to get anything done.

I also agree with your opinion of the new floors. I have only seen housekeeping using a dry Swiffer on the floor, and they really need a wet Swiffer at minimum. It is hard to do a job when they don't give you the right tools. I took a pair of thick soled flip flops to wear in the room (easier to put on and off than my slippers) and that worked pretty well. Since they had soles about an inch thick, they also cushioned my feet since the floor has no cushioning of its own.

We put the corners of a bright soda box on the corners of the Murphy with some rubber tipped bag clips, and didn't have any issues avoiding them. The wood of the bed and the wood of the floor are so close in color, that it just didn't register in our peripheral vision, so we made do with what we had on hand. The walkway between the dresser and beds is very narrow - just about the width of a decent carry on bag. I guess the queen beds being longer in length has it's bad points as well as the good.

We had three adults in the room, so each adult used one bedside table, and no one had any issues having the items they needed close at hand. Any electronics we didn't need to use in bed, we charged using the USB ports on the dresser instead of charging them by the bed.

I did not have any horrible issues with the buses. In fact, I only had to stand on one bus, and it wasn't packed (I have been on buses so packed you didn't have to hold on because the other bodies held you up) - the rest of the time I had a seat. I seem to have good luck that way when it comes to Disney transportation and I know not everyone does. We did drive to DHS when we went on Saturday, as we had an ADR right at park closing and were concerned about whether there would even be bus service when we left the park. Otherwise, we used the buses. We tend to go in after the morning rush though, and rarely stay until park close, and that can make a big difference when it comes to buses.

Sorry you had so many challenges with your trip. I have really enjoyed the new rooms at Pop and booked two bounce back stays for 2018 at Pop while I was there. I'll be bringing my soda boxes and flip flops!

I never said that it was new... from my post: " A while back some genius decided that the return DME was only going to drop people off at one side of the terminal. " I'm fairly certain that they were still dropping off at both sides later than 2011 but I could be wrong. I seem to remember in 2012 we were dropped off on the second stop.

I'm not blaming Disney, in fact I stated that I believed that it was the TSA that requested earlier drop off times. From my post: "I believe it was TSA that requested this EARLIER pick up time".

I am curious, have you stayed in a newly refurbished room and tried to use the Wi-Fi? or are your observations from a stay pre refurb or perhaps in a different building? I'm wondering if it was a problem specific to the building I was staying in post refurb. On previous stays before the refurb I have never had a problem with the WI-FI.

~NM

Every time we've stayed at Pop it has been in the 60s and 70s, most recently last June. Maybe it was just a bad router in your building or something.

Just curious why you put the murphy bed down if it was only you?

The hospital/institution look alone was enough to make me say never again to Pop just from the pictures.

I'm sorry you had all those challenges!! :(

Just curious why you put the murphy bed down if it was only you?

The hospital/institution look alone was enough to make me say never again to Pop just from the pictures.

I'm sorry you had all those challenges!! :(

I had my suitcase/clothes on the bed as well as my laptop and work stuff. Then there is the accumulation of Disney store bags and camera equipment. It adds up quickly!

~NM

I had my suitcase/clothes on the bed as well as my laptop and work stuff. Then there is the accumulation of Disney store bags and camera equipment. It adds up quickly!

~NM

Gotcha. I usually just leave those on the table and the suitcase (if I don't unpack) on the rack in the closet area. Thanks for explaining. :)

How was the coffee maker? Can you use tap water or is the tap water bad tasting? From pictures I have seen, the coffee maker uses the flat pods? I was going to bring a supply but they are very hard to find. I am hoping to have morning coffee in the room without having to treck it to the food court.

How was the coffee maker? Can you use tap water or is the tap water bad tasting? From pictures I have seen, the coffee maker uses the flat pods? I was going to bring a supply but they are very hard to find. I am hoping to have morning coffee in the room without having to treck it to the food court.
I did not use the coffee maker but it does take flat pods. I was also using bottled water since the Florida tap water tastes so bad. I always stop at Walmart after checking in and stock up on snacks and water. Walmart is way cheaper than Disney for room supplies.

~NM

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble! I stayed n a refurbished room in August and liked it a lot. No problem with the wifi, but the people next door were a bit noisy one night. I did not put the Murphy bed down, and the room felt quite spacious.I really didn't notice the floors being dirty, I liked them better than carpet (and I declined housekeeping!)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you had a lot of problems. I am at Pop now. It’s been a short weekend trip. I also have had wi-fi issues, so I just came to the food court to get my “fix”. I am in 70s, building 10. What a great location! I actually like the refurbished room. Luckily I never bumped into the corner of the bed. I love the BIG tv. The bed was very comfortable. I’m not a big fan of the flooring. It did seem gritty from dirt. The buses haven’t been too bad. I have had to wait 15-20 minutes for a bus to come. Wish I didn’t have to go home today!

This is probably the most common and consistent complaint I have heard about all of the Disney resort rooms that have the hard floors. Housekeeping needs to improve their floor cleaning equipment.

I'm sorry to hear that you had terrible WiFi. We had a deluxe resort room with terrible WiFi during a trip when I had to do some work and I ended up dragging my stuff to the lobby. What a pain!

I've found the coffee pods at WalMart. Melitta and Senseo are brands that have the round, flat pods.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Melitta-...Hamilton-Beach-Pod-Brewers-18-ct-Bag/20525198

I was in room 94xx from Dec 3-6. I had noise issues from next door due to there not being anything to absorb noise in either room. Other than that, I had none of the same issues. My bathroom fan ran longer, and more easily, than I would have liked, but it didn't run overly long. I was alone and used the dresser so had no need to drop the murphy bed down. I liked the extra room. Yes, it does have a slightly antiseptic feel, but I have no issue with it. The floor wasn't bad, at least not in my room. I walked around in socks and bare feet and there wasn't a ton of dirt on my feet, at least no more so than with carpet. And I used my laptop and phone every day. I had no wifi issues at all. Maybe because I was on a top floor? I've had issues when on the lower levels in the past.
I'm seeing lots of people complaining about the DME four hour pick up time, and that TSA won't let you through until you're two hours out from your flight. But, that wasn't my experience, or my friend's or my dh's. We all traveled at different times, with much more than two hours prior to departure when arriving at security. Not a problem getting in. Yes, there is signage that states you can't get in more than two hours prior to flight time. That probably deters a lot of people, so they don't even give it a shot.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Mine wasn't the best I've ever had but it was okay.

We stayed in a renovated room, 91XX, in the 90s building in September for an 11-day stay. We thoroughly enjoyed our room! We never had issues with the Wi-Fi; in fact, we had our Roku stick and easily streamed movies before bed each night. We also loved the bigger beds and appreciated the murphy bed. Since it was just the two of us, we did not need to pull it down and made great use of the table, as well as enjoyed the extra space. We did not notice the floors getting dirty at all, but we always took our shoes off when we entered the room.

It's too bad you disliked the new rooms. We are very happy with the updates they've done and are excited to go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter