POP Century ~ Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #6 ~April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from our FIRST stay at Pop! We had a great time! First of all, we got the best room ever! :goodvibes Room 4113. It is in building 4 and is the very first room on the courtyard side of the 60s building on the first floor. Seriously, I have walked further to get to a Hampton Inn lobby than I walked to get to the food court!

Okay, so here is my quickie review of the resort. To give you some background of my opinion, I have stayed at FW (cabins once, camper once) and also CR (garden wing). We travel quite frequently and have probably already slept in 8 hotel rooms (wherever) this year.

I am a list-maker – so this will be a list format.

Expected and loved:
Awesome theming
Fun vibe – loved the music piped in
Busy, fun Hippy Dippy pool
Clean, well appointed room (it IS Disney…;))
Food court had lots of choices and we never had to wait long for anything

Pleasantly surprised:
The peg hanger by the bathroom ::yes::
The compactness of the resort, really, when you get there it’s like “Dang – it’s all so close!”
Anything Pop store really did have anything you needed. The first day, we bought a baby Marie, bandaids, and Vodka :laughing:
The rooms are not so small. They are really just the size of an average hotel room at La Quinta or Holiday Inn Express. Perhaps I’m not remembering how “large” my CR room was for some reason by comparison. Perhaps they “seem” smaller to some people because we tend to stay longer at Pop or we tend to bring more stuff to Pop than on regular hotel visits.:confused3
The landscaping was very thick and lush. NO pictures really do it justice. I was surprised, there were some places you had to move around to get a look at the buildings. Beautiful!
Not much noise - no flushing toilets or racket from next door or above or crazy teenagers screaming at all hours - very quiet especially for where we were. I think because the main footpaths are so far away from the actual room doors, it really helps.

Tried for the first time and glad I did:
Rented a stroller from Magic Strollers – very convenient and didn’t have to pack my inferior Combi
Refillable mugs – we don’t do the dining plan – but we used these mugs a LOT more than I thought we would. Plus, they doubled as a souvenir.

Disappointed:
I feel like the bus drivers take the longest possible route to get anywhere from Pop. We never had to wait more than 8 min for a bus to/from anywhere, but the rides seemed to take FOREVER. I’m sure it was no longer than 20 min ride, but I get impatient when I’m ready to get somewhere. :drive:
The beds were a little smaller than I expected. I knew they would be doubles, but they seemed smaller to me.
Wi Fi was bad :confused:
I did not find any King cupcakes

Glad we took:
Bathroom organizer (pics to follow)
Coffee pot
Small shoulder cooler (for toting non-refillable drinks around:rolleyes1)
Peanut butter
Laundry hamper
Air card (see Wi Fi above)

Wish we had taken:
Hair dryer
Scented air spray :eek: (Don't ask...ha ha)

Could have done without:
Extra power strip – we found three outlets easily accessible. Unless you just WANT everything charging in the same place…

All in all, it was a great stay and we had a fun time! We didn’t want to leave! I hope my synopsis is helpful to any others planning their first trip! Will post a few pics for you of our ‘set up’ when I get them downloaded.

Thanks to Janet and everyone on this thread for all your help in planning!!!

:yay::yay::yay:

Our room
9f067e33.jpg

Our window
7b9a22e1.jpg

I got such a kick out of having that peg board to hang stuff. Also, notice the large space for the big stroller.
a729225b.jpg

Floor space by the sink
8155b3db.jpg

My organizing method
a383eb04.jpg

Using this meant the sink area was not too cluttered. There is a small shelf that runs along the mirror we set DH's stuff on. Mine and DDs stuff all fit in this.
dfa15880.jpg

awesome review, thank you!!!! :thumbsup2 love that organizer :cool1:

Thanks guys for the compliments! I felt it important to post something because I know when we first booked "value" we were like.. hmmm.... what does that mean we are giving up... but it really was GREAT!

I made the organizer myself. I enjoy sewing and found a bunch of Disney clear vinyl on sale for $1 a yard a couple of years ago. In the picture of the pegs, you can see the Mickey bag, I made that too from some of the vinyl I bought. (I made the pink bag too, but it's not Disney so not as interesting ;))
The organizer was pretty much straight stitching, but did think to put in a dowel rod in the bottom to keep it straight when hung. At the top, I got DH to hammer the eyelets in and just used some extra shower hooks from home to hang it.

You could probably accomplish the same thing with an over the door shoe hanger and shower hooks, but I enjoyed making it with the Princesses. :goodvibes

Sprite74 said:
Ok, in 4wks from today we are checking in to Pop !!! Wooohhoo :cool1:

Saturday my 11yr old DS decided to some stupid boy thing and BREAKS his arm!! yes broken. We go to in tomorrow to see what we are in for but I am hoping and praying we will not be in Disney with him in a cast. He will be getting a fibreglass one so he can swim but still a CAST!!! Why can nothing ever be simple for us :confused::confused::confused:
Well, if he is- get the characters to sign it!

sargenca said:
mgsmom! Thanks for this review!! I haven't stayed in a value before; we usually stay at the Poly, but couldn't justify it again this year after going there for the past few years. I just got so excited reading your post!! I'm new to the Pop threads and I loved your review. VERY helpful!! Loved the pictures too!!
Love the Pop, you will too!

There used to be pictures of the everything pop grab n go area and I can't find it anywhere?? Does anybody have a link? I am looking for prices to be able to plan how much I will need to bring extra since i can't find those prices anywhere and I know I saw a pix someone took a while ago with prices visible. Thanks for any help!

Josh just did a huge Pop walk-through with a zillion pics including all through Everything Pop!
http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized/pop-century-main-building-food-court-and-pool/

Just switched my reservation to POP. :cool1::banana: Still not sure if I will add another room or just deal with 3 adults in one room. But either way, we are staying at POP!!!! :hippie:

We are at the 2 week mark! :cool1: Time to start gathering things and make the Target list...

Just want to confirm that there is NO shower gel provided, just bar soap...

Thanks!

We are at the 2 week mark! :cool1: Time to start gathering things and make the Target list...

Just want to confirm that there is NO shower gel provided, just bar soap...

Thanks!

There is definitely no shower gel. You get bath soap, facial soap and shampoo/conditioner combo.

We were just at POP this June and we ordered a roll away (just one night) Be warned it is smaller than your average twin. It fits a smaller adult or child reasonably well. It's on wheels, metal springs and fold in half. Comes with mattress and bedding.

It takes up whatever space is left once you open it. Wish I would have taken a pic to share.

I think we would get an air mattress if we had a guest staying more than a night or two.

Wi Fi was bad :confused:

Glad we took:
Small shoulder cooler (for toting non-refillable drinks around:rolleyes1)

Wish we had taken:
Scented air spray :eek: (Don't ask...ha ha)

All in all, it was a great stay and we had a fun time! We didn’t want to leave! I hope my synopsis is helpful to any others planning their first trip!

Was the wifi not working?

non-refillable drinks wonder what those were?:scratchin:rolleyes1:lmao::rotfl:

Yep... I agree with the scented air freshener. It's one of the first things to go in the suitcase.:goodvibes

We never want to leave either. My dh puts me on the plane kicking and screaming all the way.:)

Your synopsis was veery helpful. Thanks

Thanks guys for the compliments! I felt it important to post something because I know when we first booked "value" we were like.. hmmm.... what does that mean we are giving up... but it really was GREAT!

I made the organizer myself. I enjoy sewing and found a bunch of Disney clear vinyl on sale for $1 a yard a couple of years ago. In the picture of the pegs, you can see the Mickey bag, I made that too from some of the vinyl I bought. (I made the pink bag too, but it's not Disney so not as interesting ;))
The organizer was pretty much straight stitching, but did think to put in a dowel rod in the bottom to keep it straight when hung. At the top, I got DH to hammer the eyelets in and just used some extra shower hooks from home to hang it.

You could probably accomplish the same thing with an over the door shoe hanger and shower hooks, but I enjoyed making it with the Princesses. :goodvibes

Well you did a fantastic job! See, I'm more likely to buy a cheap organizer and then put Disney stickers on it. :rotfl:

Can anyone tell me what kind(if any) of lanyards and card holders are available for sale at Everything POP?
TIA:cool1:

Was the wifi not working?

Yep... I agree with the scented air freshener. It's one of the first things to go in the suitcase.:goodvibes

has anyone heard of 'just a drop'? we pack that and it takes a lot less space than an air freshener and doesn't have the heavy scents that the air fresheners have. i find there way to over whelming for that small a room.
for us 'just a drop' works better. its what we use at home as well.

Can anyone tell me what kind(if any) of lanyards and card holders are available for sale at Everything POP?
TIA:cool1:

They do sell them along with a clear pouch if you need that. It is one of the items I purchase every year.

call me crazy but just booked breakfast and lunch for the day i leave wont be leaving until 7 pm

No not crazy ... you just want to squeeze a little bit more magic in before you leave, like us all ... if it gets close, you can always cab it back to POP. :goodvibes

Another option if you plan on going to DTD .... have lunch at WPE (if you haven't already). It's one of our favorite CS.

Ok everyone please tell me it will be ok. Everyone is excited to be staying at CSR except me. I thought I would be but I need to face it I'm just not. We leave in a little over 30 days and I feel ugh. I should be super excited as we upgrade but I'm not. I also feel a little restricted as we usually do the QSDP and this time we are on the RDP. I'm sure I will have a wonderful time but right now I'm just not feeling it. We also gave up the WP option to stay there which i'm a little :sad: about. I feel like once I get to CSR I'm going to be wanting to :moped: out of there and head to pop. I have stayed there before and it is beautiful so I'm not sure what my issue is.

Kelly ... guess with being away I missed your latest resort change ... CSR is a beautiful resort, but I was kind of hoping for a DISmeet in Sat morning ... oh well, you all will love the CSR pool. Hopefully you didn't have trouble getting your ADRs for your TS credits.

Sooooooo, MICKEY MAIL ARRIVED YESTERDAY! :cool1: Checking into Pop in 32 days! :hippie:

:cool1:

We have stayed at Pop and I don't really see how an air mattress would comfortably fit in there. They are small rooms. As far as rollaways I thought they weren't allowed here but I could be wrong and I'm sure I will be corrected if so.

As I think another poster answered you, rollaways are allowed and are available at the values. They are a little smaller than a regular twin bed (more like a cot); personally, I would go with the air mattress!

Once again, the old roll away question, lol. :) I think I've asked this about 3 times and Janet has always assured me that yes you can do a roll away. Janet, can you firm again. Our trip is coming up and we have 3 adults in 1 of our rooms who all would like their own sleeping space. Thanks!!!!!

YES!! Sorry I've been away visiting a friend and didn't have much time to check in on the thread!. :goodvibes

Thanks for all the replies!!!! I think the air mattress will work for us. We are not in the room much except to sleep and shower. I am too cheap to pay for the roll-away, plus would be afraid they would be out of them when I check-in. Thanks again!! Can't wait to POP over in December!!!! :cool1::banana::hippie::santa:

Think you will be quite happy with that arrangement.

Ok, in 4wks from today we are checking in to Pop !!! Wooohhoo :cool1:

Saturday my 11yr old DS decided to some stupid boy thing and BREAKS his arm!! yes broken. We go to in tomorrow to see what we are in for but I am hoping and praying we will not be in Disney with him in a cast. He will be getting a fibreglass one so he can swim but still a CAST!!! Why can nothing ever be simple for us :confused::confused::confused:

This will make for a good story down the road ... in the meantime it just a bump in the road ...and yes, as another poster pointed out, it is perfect for autographs! :thumbsup2

GREAT JOB on the organizer and bag!! Wish I could be that creative and be able to whip up something that looked as nice as yours! Problem is I really don't like sewing ... :)

Just switched my reservation to POP. :cool1::banana: Still not sure if I will add another room or just deal with 3 adults in one room. But either way, we are staying at POP!!!! :hippie:

Valgoof ... I was at POP in 2009 with my sis and friend for our F&W trip ... we had no problem with the 3 of us in one room. We actually just slept 2 & 1 and rotated so we all got to sleep alone some nights. :) We all sleep very soundly and don't move much ... we are just too tired when we are in Disney! :goodvibes

:yay: My target date most likely is 2 days out!! :goodvibes

Well you did a fantastic job! See, I'm more likely to buy a cheap organizer and then put Disney stickers on it. :rotfl:

:rotfl2: This gave me a big laugh today... this is SO me.... :goodvibes

has anyone heard of 'just a drop'? we pack that and it takes a lot less space than an air freshener and doesn't have the heavy scents that the air fresheners have. i find there way to over whelming for that small a room.
for us 'just a drop' works better. its what we use at home as well.

I've used the "just a drop" at home. It works very well and it's just a tiny bottle. I forgot all about that stuff. Thanks for mentioning it. I think that's what I will pack. :goodvibes

Hi all! I have a question, can I request a room in the 60's if I did not book a preferred room? I booked a standard and from what I understand there are no standard rooms in the 60's. Would they even take my request if I don't have a preferred room booked? Thanks for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter