Pop Century Legendary Years - 03/2007 & Updated 06/2008!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the MK was even built plans were in place for 4 hotels to be on the monorail line.The Grand Floridian hotel is on the land that was set aside and dedicated to be the "Future" Asian Resort Hotel (A). The "Future"
Venetian (B) Resort was going to located between the Poly (5) and the Contemporary (8). A fifth hotel was going to build on a monorail spur which ended at the "Future" Persian Resort (C). That resort would be located just to east of the Mk and North of the Contemorary and would built with much of the hotel being on /over the water of Bay Lake. So even though the GF was not built until 18 years later a hotel was planned for that area at the same time the monorail was planned.

I got this picture and my info from my"The story of Walt Disney World"
Commemory Edition Book 1971.

YGP32D4disneyfuture.jpg

Yup, you are right. Trust me, DH wants to go exploring in a big way. I do to, just to see it but I'm not really the type who would actually do it. Drive by in a pontoon boat and take pics with a telephoto lens? Absolutely. But actually getting off the boat and onto the island, while it sounds fun I am not as daring as I used to be

You do NOT want to venture onto Discovery Island without a good rifle!!

A boat skipper during a Wishes Cruise told us that the last time Disney folks were on the island removing the last of the useable equipment from the buildings they encountered a gator and a VERY large snake. (He was the boat driver that took them over). The place is now 100% totally abandoned. There was a light that was on during the cruise and I asked about it. He said "notice how it is next to the ground". It was your standard street lamp. It had gotten knocked over during the hurricanes and apparently a wire short circuited and that's why it was on. In my two Ft. Wilderness visits since then, I have not seen the light on any more, so they have now totally cut power to the island.

What a shame. I've never stayed at POP and didn't know there was a semi-new decaying building. Disney is usually so good about completing projects and doing them right, this really surprises me.

Venetian (B)

Wow, thanks for reminding me of this. I remember when I was little, my mom commenting that she couldn't wait to stay at the "Venitian" Hotel when it was built. Too funny..:)

You do NOT want to venture onto Discovery Island without a good rifle!!

A boat skipper during a Wishes Cruise told us that the last time Disney folks were on the island removing the last of the useable equipment from the buildings they encountered a gator and a VERY large snake. (He was the boat driver that took them over). The place is now 100% totally abandoned. There was a light that was on during the cruise and I asked about it. He said "notice how it is next to the ground". It was your standard street lamp. It had gotten knocked over during the hurricanes and apparently a wire short circuited and that's why it was on. In my two Ft. Wilderness visits since then, I have not seen the light on any more, so they have now totally cut power to the island.

:scared1: We'll definitely stick to the telephoto lens thanks!

No one's mentioned the building of the Animal Kingdom Villas against finishing up the Legendary Years at Pop. Have they broken ground for those yet? I'm always amazed that new things get started before older things get finished. I would think introducing value over villas would help increase sales...cheaper rooms, longer stays, more frequent visits...but I could be wrong too....

DVC has a much better revenue return for Disney than values.

I'm not surprised by this.

Thanks for the pictures of River Country. It is such a shame that this was closed. Soooo sad. It looks kind of spooky and dangerous now, doesn't it? You wouldn't think they would want the liability!

BTW, speaking of abandoned projects.....anyone have pics of the tree house villas?

Great thread Knox!

IMHO- since occ. # may not be strong enough to carry the resort year round- the Legendary Years should be turned into Cast Member apartments. Disney has a set already for low income families, and it is always full with a waiting list. Disney could help out a lot of families with this- or college program students. Maybe Disney would quit losing so many employees to the local competition that pays 3 to 4 dollars more an hour if they had some better benefits and perks. Especially for low income families. That is what LILLIAN would do. And I am sure she would convince Walt, who would squeeze the money out of Roy :)

Thanks for the pictures of River Country. It is such a shame that this was closed. Soooo sad. It looks kind of spooky and dangerous now, doesn't it? You wouldn't think they would want the liability!

BTW, speaking of abandoned projects.....anyone have pics of the tree house villas?

The tree house villas are no longered abandoned. They are currently being used by CMs on the International Exchange Program. (The World Showcase College Students).

Because of ADA regulations, protected land, and hurricane damage, they couldn't reuse them as guest accomodations any longer.

They couldn't tear them down and start over because of the protected land.

Because of a the hurricane damage, more than a 25% remodel was required, so a certain percentage would have to be made accessible.

So they fixed them back up and house the cast members.

I was working at DRC when it happened. We'd either started taking reservations for the Pop, or were very close to doing so when 9/11 happened.
The Pop Century opening team had visited us at work, and were very excited about it.

As far as a gator at Discovery Island - they are on Disney property in a number of places. I've seen them at the Polynesian, the Beach Club, etc. So I'm not surprised there was one at DI! I am surprised I've never seen one on my walks at FW.

How scary! What do they do when gators are found? I have heard that gators are plenty in the treehouse are as well.

The incomplete side of Pop still makes me sad. Imagine what else could have been done with all of the money that went into it!

I can see why Disney is choosing to focus their efforts on the AKL & Contemp. DVC properties- think of how many rooms at Pop you have to sell to equal the $16,000 of ONE person signing up for DVC. It's obvious which project is going to bring in more revenue.

I do kind of like the idea of making that side of pop a "value dvc"! What, like 2 points per night to stay there? Could be interesting.

However, your "average" WDW guest isn't a DVC owner... I'd say the vast majority of them (not counting us crazy DIS people, of course), have never heard of DVC. More than likely, they're looking for the most affordable accomidations possible. I really think that having more value rooms available would be great!

I guess I basically just want them to do SOMETHING with this property, not just let it sit there and waste away. Heck, finish the construction and make it available to CMs, like the Treehouse Villas for the international CMs. Just do *something* with it!

No one's mentioned the building of the Animal Kingdom Villas against finishing up the Legendary Years at Pop. Have they broken ground for those yet? I'm always amazed that new things get started before older things get finished. I would think introducing value over villas would help increase sales...cheaper rooms, longer stays, more frequent visits...but I could be wrong too....

I was thinking the same thing, but was reminded about how "Popular DVC is" yea, whatever, I can't afford it, but I CAN afford to stay on Property for 15 days out of the year. Sometimes budget sometimes Deluxe, depends on the "deal" I get being a Fl. Resident.;)

i climbed the fence there a few year ago..some of the rooms are funished..alot of bedding and towel carts..out back..they also use the parking lot for bus training..some of the trees were torn out of the ground from one of hurricanes.. a few years ago..you can open the doors on the ground floor and go in ..cheap place to stay if you donnt get caught.and its pop,,wife wonnt go for it ..somrthing about hydro and lights,,not sure why,,i would do it

i climbed the fence there a few year ago..some of the rooms are funished..alot of bedding and towel carts..out back..they also use the parking lot for bus training..some of the trees were torn out of the ground from one of hurricanes.. a few years ago..you can open the doors on the ground floor and go in ..cheap place to stay if you donnt get caught.and its pop,,wife wonnt go for it ..somrthing about hydro and lights,,not sure why,,i would do it

Wow! Someone after my own dreams.....guess I'll live this one through your eyes since I can't even talk any of my family into climbing the fence with me. LOL Wouldn't that be awsome to camp out there though! Or even at River Country! HOW ABSOLUTLY AWESOME!!!

Last July whlie on the boat trip to DTD we passed the Tree Houses and I asked the driver about them. He told us what they were and that they were now occupied by CMs. Sure enough on the return trip after dark we could see people fixing dinner and such. I thought they looked neat and wished I had taken a picture but I didn't. Sorry

im going in may for 4 day get away..im going to check it out again i will let you know..if i camp out...

I'm countin on ya here......I am living my wild side through you. Take lots of pictures,,,,,and don't get caught! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter