Pop Century/Art Of Animation & Caribbean Beach-"GONDOLA RESORTS"!

Just to play devil's advocate .... in addition to other questionable things ..... why in the world would you have to take so many sections between Epcot and DHS? The bulk of the users are likely not the guests of those two resorts. Why have 4 sections when you can have 1?

Why wouldn't they just make it go direct between the two parks, and then you take a "Resorts" "gondola", just like you do with the monorail.

Extend Epcot down to DHS. It eliminates a long length and the need to construct a turn station.

e6ac2277-5403-49df-a29a-269dc770be68.png

Am I the only one that hates this idea because 2 of the main resorts we stay at are likely to become even more popular now?

Haha, I hate it ...........

- POP prices will certainly go up.
- AoA LM prices will get even higher.
- Complete and total eyesore gliding above CBR villages.
- View of backstage Epcot.
- Eyesore cutting across a major Disney road.
- A TON of money wasted when it could be spent on parks.
- Every E-Vac responders nightmare.
- Lighting, storms, wind all will shut it down.
- As a stockholder - stupid use of money.

That said, I'm really am still laughing .............. all the bloggers running with this thing.

1) There are permits for water management right now.
2) The second release of these permit drawings show a couple funny little buildings and one very large one.
3) Automatic assumption is a zig-zag non-direct gondola between Epcot and DHS.
4) NO OTHER backup of information is provided.

All things are possible at Disney, stupid and not, so never say never but I'm not jumping on this thing until there is anything more substantial than a couple buildings that could virtually be anything and two posters at another site who came up with this plan. They are even picking out the gondola system for Disney.

Well, call me old-fashioned, but I prefer the bus.

Although, I'm not too concerned one way or the other. It will probably take years before it's complete. Have they even started the renovations at Pop that were supposed to have started 3 months ago? No reports yet.

Orlando Sentinel "Disney would not confirm or deny whether it’s planning a gondola lift system."

I'm hating the idea because I think it will be an eyesore around the Epcot resorts. Just to improve transportation from a few resorts?? Wouldn't adding a few buses or those big double buses be more cost effective than building & maintaining this new system?

I'm hating the idea because I think it will be an eyesore around the Epcot resorts. Just to improve transportation from a few resorts?? Wouldn't adding a few buses or those big double buses be more cost effective than building & maintaining this new system?

No doubt to me it will be an eyesore. I hated the sky buckets in MK, thrilled when it left.

Indeed. Which is why I won't believe it until I see it.

Can you imagine being at your beloved resort, relaxing with a tropical drink on a beach or at the pool and watching big gondola buckets soaring back and forth right over the village buildings. Just plain wrong.

Am I the only person questioning why Disney would put money into secondary transportation at two value resorts? Sure- some moderates offer bus and boat service but none of the values offer anything aside from buses.
If it actually happens, it might have to do something with the number of rooms/people at Pop and AoA.

Am I the only one that hates this idea because 2 of the main resorts we stay at are likely to become even more popular now?

Ugh... yes. We just discovered CBR last trip and loved it. Now potential changes are coming. Something seems to be up, what it is we don't know.

Hopper,do you "read" anything into that?Thanks.

Haha, I'm not sure what you mean ....... but .........

If I try to step outside myself to a neutral place, meaning not against it and not drinking the kool-aid for it ............ (oops does that tip my opinion) ...

I see Disney PR jumping in their chairs that all attention is on them, that everyone is asking them questions (vs Universal's new big land or Wet & Wild property) and they are the center of attention for more than ROL. No matter what Disney is doing the best option is to keep people wondering and on the hook and talking about them. Their answer was perfect!

WHO KNOWS?

I put nothing past Disney anymore but would be surprised to see this much money invested into a non-profit centered project that would serve so few.

DS and I have poured over all the permits. All we see are some proposed buildings, granted a few very tiny strange shaped ones that may or may not have anything to do with each other and a larger one on the south CBR property that is about 140x50 feet big. Nothing else there indicates anything. Gondolas come from some great armchair imagineering and supposed insider rumors. I'm waiting for more than that.

The whole idea of cluttering the sky at Epcot, Epcot area over Buena Vista Drive, views of backstage, feet above the deluxe/DVC Boardwalk resort, part of the view for other Epcot resorts, feet above CBR villages ...... a moderate it would destroy the ambiance and two values that have NO building on the map so that seems to be pure guessing ... and adding to POP/AoA would "track" wise increase the design level considerably.

Predictions from similar and scrapped projects put the cost levels way beyond acceptable to me as a stockholder when Epcot & more needs so much work. Way more questions that any valid reasons to justify this.

Back to the plans:

Note these permits are strictly for Stormwater Management, to adjust the water on the CBR property in preparation for the big project on the north end of the property. They are not for these buildings. That would be an entirely different permit process through a different entity. And note there would need to be substantial infrastructure between these buildings that is not being addressed.

Many of the things that I've seen said could have other explanations. Like the report of the bigger building being 100 ft above the ground due to the minimum FFE being 97.5 feet. If you go ahead and look at all the buildings you will see the new building at CBR pool is 95.1, the new "DVC" is 95.1 - you think floor one is that high? Lots of standard buildings all falling in the "90" foot FFE plan across property. Maybe due to FL sea level their FFE's are pinged off sea level and that changes everything. (Disney is about 80+ feet above sea level.)

If it actually happens, it might have to do something with the number of rooms/people at Pop and AoA.

Why would that matter at this point? There are no major bus issues there. The rides to these two parks it would serve is not long and therefore they can offer many more bus trips per hour with one bus than other resorts. AND adding them in mix is a total guess as I don't think there is anything on the permit plats that suggest they are part of the plan.

I can't disagree with that. AoA in particular eats crowds- I've seen it's bus lines unbelievably overwhelmed (though only on a few occasions.)

Haha, I'm not sure what you mean ....... but .........

If I try to step outside myself to a neutral place, meaning not against it and not drinking the kool-aid for it ............ (oops does that tip my opinion) ...

I see Disney PR jumping in their chairs that all attention is on them, that everyone is asking them questions (vs Universal's new big land or Wet & Wild property) and they are the center of attention for more than ROL. No matter what Disney is doing the best option is to keep people wondering and on the hook and talking about them. Their answer was perfect!

WHO KNOWS?

I put nothing past Disney anymore but would be surprised to see this much money invested into a non-profit centered project that would serve so few.

DS and I have poured over all the permits. All we see are some proposed buildings, granted a few very tiny strange shaped ones that may or may not have anything to do with each other and a larger one on the south CBR property that is about 140x50 feet big. Nothing else there indicates anything. Gondolas come from some great armchair imagineering and supposed insider rumors. I'm waiting for more than that.

The whole idea of cluttering the sky at Epcot, Epcot area over Buena Vista Drive, views of backstage, feet above the deluxe/DVC Boardwalk resort, part of the view for other Epcot resorts, feet above CBR villages ...... a moderate it would destroy the ambiance and two values that have NO building on the map so that seems to be pure guessing ... and adding to POP/AoA would "track" wise increase the design level considerably.

Predictions from similar and scrapped projects put the cost levels way beyond acceptable to me as a stockholder when Epcot & more needs so much work. Way more questions that any valid reasons to justify this.

Back to the plans:

Note these permits are strictly for Stormwater Management, to adjust the water on the CBR property in preparation for the big project on the north end of the property. They are not for these buildings. That would be an entirely different permit process through a different entity. And note there would need to be substantial infrastructure between these buildings that is not being addressed.

Many of the things that I've seen said could have other explanations. Like the report of the bigger building being 100 ft above the ground due to the minimum FFE being 97.5 feet. If you go ahead and look at all the buildings you will see the new building at CBR pool is 95.1, the new "DVC" is 95.1 - you think floor one is that high? Lots of standard buildings all falling in the "90" foot FFE plan across property. Maybe due to FL sea level their FFE's are pinged off sea level and that changes everything. (Disney is about 80+ feet above sea level.)

Awesome info!

I know it will be an eyesore to some extent if built,but,personally,I think it would be so cool to arrive at DHS and Epcot "from the air"!

I just love this form of transport-heck,I go to Blizzard Beach JUST to ride the "Ski Lift"!lol:)

But I certainly understand why many hope it doesn't happen.

In the end,Disney is going to do what Disney is going to do!lol:)

By the way,in the Rumors Thread http://www.disboards.com/threads/skyway-on-steroids-gondola-rumor.3578988/ some Posters are POSITIVE it is a "done deal" you may want to post your info over there to create some "balance"!lol:)

Awesome info!

I know it will be an eyesore to some extent if built,but,personally,I think it would be so cool to arrive at DHS and Epcot "from the air"!

I just love this form of transport-heck,I go to Blizzard Beach JUST to ride the "Ski Lift"!lol:)

But I certainly understand why many hope it doesn't happen.

In the end,Disney is going to do what Disney is going to do!lol:)

By the way,in the Rumors Thread http://www.disboards.com/threads/skyway-on-steroids-gondola-rumor.3578988/ some Posters are POSITIVE it is a "done deal" you may want to post your info over there to create some "balance"!lol:)

You are right they will do what they want ..... like 15 story hotel tower at CSR ........ what a bummer and huge loss of ambiance. That shows right there Disney has lost some of their way in regards to "on stage".

Me, I'll avoid them like I do the monorail. I know it would be new and hopefully more reliable but I don't see it running during lightning, storms and wind .....no way I want to e-vac ..... and having been forced off a boat at POFQ in pouring rain when I needed to get to POR ..... I actually see the plus in buses.

Thanks, but I try to avoid the Rumors Board ............ nothing I say will bring balance there.

Seriously at this point, no one knows what Disney is thinking.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter