Poly-this just in...

Marty Joe

DIS Veteran
You're not allowed to wear water shoes down the slide at the Poly-even though it's not posted anywhere. There were maybe 5 people in the pool. The pool nazi saw me in some new deck shoes and it was on! To make matters worse, my (not so) DD16 said "oooo, dad got in trouuuuuuuble! I usually use the slide once a year just to convince myself that I'm not getting old. Not that big a deal? No. I should be happy we get to stay at the Poly... But if were not allowed to do something, post it for goodness sakes!!! (Goodness sakes was not my first choice)

Was the pool nazi another guest or a CM? I agree they should have that posted with the pool rules.

I know at the water parks you're not allowed to wear water shoes down slides, so guess it's the same at resorts :confused3 Should be posted, i agree.

Lifeguard. It started to rain about 10 minutes after my watershoe slap down anyway...

I wouldn't really call the lifeguard a pool nazi, he's just doing his job. Another guest, then yes, pool nazi all the way. I've never been to the Polynesian pool, but I am curious as to why they wouldn't have this posted?:confused3

But don't most people know that you shouldn't wear water shoes on a water slide? If one of those things caught while you were going down full tilt--- that wouldn't be pretty.

I wouldn't really call the lifeguard a pool nazi, he's just doing his job. Another guest, then yes, pool nazi all the way. I've never been to the Polynesian pool, but I am curious as to why they wouldn't have this posted?:confused3

Probably for this reason below. They don't post it maybe because it's commons sense? I don't know, I never thought of wearing one or have never seen anyone wearing one while going down the slide at the Polynesian.

But don't most people know that you shouldn't wear water shoes on a water slide? If one of those things caught while you were going down full tilt--- that wouldn't be pretty.

I don't know most people. I have been going to the Poly for a long time, wearing water shoes each time. I don't go to water parks. I like the Poly. I like to sit on the beach and read. I like to watch the mono and the boat do their thing. I like the listen to the Hawaiian music. I do this once a year (these days). The only time I ever get into a pool is at the Poly-maybe once or twice-with one stinking water slide trip. Honest to God-if my shoes were going to create kind of water slide catastrophe, wouldn't a swim suit get caught much easier or someone's hair. And BTW, thanks to a government funded Asian vacation in the early seventies, I NEVER go out without some kind of shoes on, so apparently I will not be doing my stupid-assed annual volcano pool adventure...

Ultimetly, it wasn't about the shoes that peeved me off, it was how I was approached. I think this 20yo ****** was trying to impress a female life guard by showing me who was boss, overzealously 'in front of my family'. Not cool! Dangerous water shoes-horse hockey! (hockey not my first choice)...

Maybe if someone had plantar warts or an injury they would want to keep their feet covered?

I don't know most people. I have been going to the Poly for a long time, wearing water shoes each time. I don't go to water parks. I like the Poly. I like to sit on the beach and read. I like to watch the mono and the boat do their thing. I like the listen to the Hawaiian music. I do this once a year (these days). The only time I ever get into a pool is at the Poly-maybe once or twice-with one stinking water slide trip. Honest to God-if my shoes were going to create kind of water slide catastrophe, wouldn't a swim suit get caught much easier or someone's hair. And BTW, thanks to a government funded Asian vacation in the early seventies, I NEVER go out without some kind of shoes on, so apparently I will not be doing my stupid-assed annual volcano pool adventure...

Ultimetly, it wasn't about the shoes that peeved me off, it was how I was approached. I think this 20yo ****** was trying to impress a female life guard by showing me who was boss, overzealously 'in front of my family'. Not cool! Dangerous water shoes-horse hockey! (hockey not my first choice)...

Hope you feel better after than vent.

Bathing suits and hair are not designed to be non slip. Water shoes are. Bathing suits slide on a water slide. So does hair (unless it gets wrapped around something). Water shoes suddenly coming into contact with the slide once you were going at a good clip would act like brakes, throw you off balance and could cause a nasty accident if you couldn't react fast enough. That's why the lifeguard didn't want you to wear them down the slide. He wasn't trying to piss you off in front of your family. He was trying to avoid an accident.

I really wouldn't have thought about wearing, or not wearing, water shoes going down a slide.

If it's not allowed, there should be some sort of sign near the entrance of the slide, stating that it's not allowed.

Maybe if someone had plantar warts or an injury they would want to keep their feet covered?

Exactly...3 years ago my Dh had a complete reconstruction on both his feet due to a neuromuscular disease. He had pins in all his toes and has plates in his feet. He is great now, but cannot walk anywhere barefoot, not even in the house. He's been able to keep his water shoes on at Great Wolf Lodge because going up the 4 flights of stairs to the high slides is torture for him. He'll probably just skip the slides at the Contemporary this year though.

I've never heard of that rule, but I'm guessing someone's shoe must have grabbed on the slide and caused some kind of injury. Probably some ya-who trying to use his feet as brakes! :lmao: Maybe its the same idiot who stood up on Splash Mountain and caused them to install seatbars?? ::yes::

I'm not sure I would have thought about the dangers of water shoes on water slides.

I know that my husband, daughter and I all wore our water shoes at Blizzard Beach in June. We didn't do any body slides though. Perhaps that is the difference. We did the racer mat slides, and the family slide and the double tube slides and no one ever said anything about them. My husband and I both have the Fila Skeletoes and my daughter has regular water socks, all with non-slip bottoms.

My daughter also wears her water shoes at our local waterpark every week (including today) and no one has ever said anything.

Our daughter picked up a plantar wart last year which required numerous treatments at the dermatologist and weeks and weeks of treatment at home as well. We now are more cautious about walking around barefoot at waterparks because of that experience.

Later this afternoon I made a lap around the outside of the pool looking at the pool signs to make sure the water shoe law was not posted. A nice cm said "hello" while I was re-reading a sign and curious why I was reading the sign in street clothes. I went through the story. Talking with her, I got the impression that someone did something stupid -so- a new non listed rule. She understood my problem about being called on a rule if I don't know about it and I won't be going down the slide anymore. I hope they post it at some point...

I've never heard of that rule, but I'm guessing someone's shoe must have grabbed on the slide and caused some kind of injury. Probably some ya-who trying to use his feet as brakes! :lmao: Maybe its the same idiot who stood up on Splash Mountain and caused them to install seatbars?? ::yes::

When did they instal the lap bar not sure if I experienced the lap bar yet

You know, they can't post rules for everything that someone is going to eventually try out. Sure, water shoes are fairly common, I get it. I'll go out on a limb and say that in the next couple of years we'll be hearing about people with corset piercings (google it) complaining that they were denied acess to the slide. It'll never stop.

Marty Joe, after reading this thread, it seems you are upset about the way the lifeguard approached you regarding the water shoes on the slide. Wearing water shoes on a slide seems like an easy mistake to make. It certainly doesn't seem like it would be something that was done intentionally to break the rules. Therefore, the lifeguard should have talked to you in a respectul manner and explained why they cannot be worn on the slide.

Sometimes the way someone speaks to you can be demeaning or embarrassing (not what is being said but how it is said). I get where you are coming from.

Hope you feel better after than vent.

Bathing suits and hair are not designed to be non slip. Water shoes are. Bathing suits slide on a water slide. So does hair (unless it gets wrapped around something). Water shoes suddenly coming into contact with the slide once you were going at a good clip would act like brakes, throw you off balance and could cause a nasty accident if you couldn't react fast enough. That's why the lifeguard didn't want you to wear them down the slide. He wasn't trying to piss you off in front of your family. He was trying to avoid an accident.

Most of what you said is absolutely correct. However, unless you were there, you don't know how he was approached or in what manner.

My son decided to go head first down the water slide at AKL when he was 6. I was waiting at the end of the slide. I knew right away that was a no-no, but before I could say a word to him about it the lifeguard came over and rather loudly started to not just tell me and mey son we couldn't do that, but that we would be kicked out of the pool if it ever happened again.

I quietly but firmly told the lifeguard his approach was way out of line. I understand they have rules, but there is a right way and a wrong way to address a situation. Later, while my son was sitting with DW, the guy came over and apologized (don't know if he did it on his own or was "encouraged" to by the other lifeguards with him)

That said, mostly the lifeguards have been nothing but nice in our experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter