• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POLL: Will you buy Poly DVC?

Will you purchase Poly DVC?

• Yes! I'm jonesing for some Poly points

• Maybe. My spouse wants me to buy, though.

• Meh. If I'm bequeathed money by an unknown relative, maybe.

• Not likely. I wouldn't turn down a gift of Poly points, though.

• No! I couldn't drink enough Lapu Lapus to make me buy

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love the Poly but will not be buying as there are no 1 bedrooms. That severely limits the utility for a family of 4 or 5 who doesn't want a studio (especially when there are only 20 bungalows). Too bad because it is such a great resort.

well since there is no way i can afford to stay in the bungalow for more than a night or 2, as well as the fact with 360 studios I dont believe there will be much of an 11 moth advantage with the studios. I will stick with my SSR points that i paid $62 for. I dont need points that will cost me $100 more when i will probably be able to get a studio there when I travel anyways.

I won't be buying points at PVB for one simple reason - there aren't any 1-bedroom units.

However, beyond that, I have some basic issues with PVB.

First off, the studios are all in buildings that are 30-44 years old. I know they've most likely been completely gutted and the foundational structures are probably fine, but I just have an issue paying so much for a gutted hotel that old when compared to VGF. Is there not a greater probability of issues over the next 50 years when you start with structures that are already so old? Perhaps not.

Second, while the bungalows look nice, I'm worried about the maintenance issues that might crop up over time due to the units being built on a pier over the water. Now, I'm not a structural engineer and perhaps my fears are unwarranted, but frankly I'd worry about the maintenance costs. Of course, based upon the points allocated to each bungalow, DVC may have plenty of money to fund maintenance of the bungalows.

Frankly, I don't have the emotional attachment to the Poly that some do, so that makes it easier to say no to buying than some of you.

http://i235.*************************************PVB__DVC.png

As you suggest, Andrew, it could be a fairly tough sell. However, as others have pointed out on a separate thread, there is credence in the thought that Disney created so many studios at Poly because the required point totals to stay in a studio there don't represent a quantum leap over other resorts. (The bungalows are an entirely different story.) Thus, while the purchase point is still $160, anyone who loves Poly (much like those who rushed to buy VGF) willingly will plop down the money to buy there. The loss of the 1BR concept alone keeps me from ever wanting to buy Poly points, much less the $160 pp.

Essentially, you can cross off not only the 1BR as being an option for the Poly, but also the 2BR, as the bungalows really don't count due to the out-of-sight pricing. In a nutshell, this limits 99% of all Poly DVC buyers down to studio accommodations at their home resort. Based on this, I think the number of people who will be willing to pony up the $$$ (try $25K for a 150 point contract, $40K for a 250 point contract) for the ability to stay in a glorified standard hotel unit might not be as great as Disney hopes.

Again, I'm sure the resort will sell out, but based on the value proposition, I don't think it will be flying off the shelf in record time.

I won't be buying points at PVB for one simple reason - there aren't any 1-bedroom units.

However, beyond that, I have some basic issues with PVB.

First off, the studios are all in buildings that are 30-44 years old. I know they've most likely been completely gutted and the foundational structures are probably fine, but I just have an issue paying so much for a gutted hotel that old when compared to VGF. Is there not a greater probability of issues over the next 50 years when you start with structures that are already so old? Perhaps not.

Second, while the bungalows look nice, I'm worried about the maintenance issues that might crop up over time due to the units being built on a pier over the water. Now, I'm not a structural engineer and perhaps my fears are unwarranted, but frankly I'd worry about the maintenance costs. Of course, based upon the points allocated to each bungalow, DVC may have plenty of money to fund maintenance of the bungalows.

Frankly, I don't have the emotional attachment to the Poly that some do, so that makes it easier to say no to buying than some of you.

Well said.
I need/want at least a 1 bedroom and sometimes 2 bedroom if our adult children and spouses are with us.
I also like having a kitchen and a washer and dryer.
I can not justify the points needed for a bungalow.

No. Price point too high and we enjoy 1bedroom villas. Maybe will tryout a studio sometime but not a first choice. They say buy where you'll stay. I think Poly will just be a visit someday.

I'm of 2 minds on this.

(1) Staying in a bungalow ON the water, how cool is THAT!!

(2) Sleeps 8... not 9... not 12. Too big for a private family trip, but too small for a trip with guests.

ARGH!! I feel like the dog in that dog tease video!

No. We don't want anymore points in general to be fair though. The bungalows look like fun but I would actually rather stay in Hawaii or tonga when we stay at the poly.

We travel a lot and have stayed in the bungalows at the four seasons in bora bora. I think we paid like 850 a night not too long ago. I have to say that staying in a bungalow built out over the seven seas lagoon doesn't interest me for the points/prices these are offered at. Might check them out for a lower price but what those places offer is just not what I look for at disney.

I'm of 2 minds on this.

(1) Staying in a bungalow ON the water, how cool is THAT!!

(2) Sleeps 8... not 9... not 12. Too big for a private family trip, but too small for a trip with guests.

ARGH!! I feel like the dog in that dog tease video!

If it wasn't swamp water, maybe beautiful blue water, then I would see more of an attraction. I guess it's just me but the picture of the interior just doesn't do a thing for me.

:earsboy: Bill

Not interested. Poly is not our favourite but we will probably try a studio for a few nights. I looked up an Ocean View Grand Villa at Aulani (in actual Hawaii) and it's only a few points more.

Bora Bora is a dream destination for us but I just cannot imagine looking at that yucky Seven Seas Lagoon water for those points.

Well I am in the minority when I say Yes! I want to buy at the POLY. My reasons? I presently own at BWV, BC, and AKV. My kids are grown and not interested in DW. My young DGD and I go together every year and I travel by myself there or invite a friend when on other trips. Every other year my DH goes with me - he is sort of a lukewarm fan. So studios work for me. I use BWV and BCV for F&G Festival or F&W. I use AKV for Christmas or Halloween. I would like to stay at a monorail villa and do stay occasionally at VWL, but cannot get in at Christmas. There are probably enough studios to get into POLY at any time 7 months but I love the resort and the location though not a fan of the restaurants. But the monorail is the big key. I don't care for the pressed and polished GFV - not my style. And I dislike the Contemporary theme. I think over time the point value at the POLY will double - so the buy in cost doesn't make much difference. I bought all my existing points resale but regret not buying Contemporary when they first came out. So this time I am buying when the points cost the least - but only buying enough for a weekend stay. If I can get in at 7 months with my other points that will be great. If I can't then I will have my home resort and do a split stay or a cash stay for half. I am really excited about being a POLY owner!!!

40 total bungalow rooms. Ok. You will like get 40 dvc owners to want to stay in the bungalow. At 120 points per night, that's approximately $20,000 to be sure you can book at 11 months, and $720 annually. Not for me. I will take my chances at 7 months and if I can stay once while a dvc owner then that would be ok with me. Disney must be targeting the wealthy 1% for this one.

40 total bungalow rooms. Ok. You will like get 40 dvc owners to want to stay in the bungalow. At 120 points per night, that's approximately $20,000 to be sure you can book at 11 months, and $720 annually. Not for me. I will take my chances at 7 months and if I can stay once while a dvc owner then that would be ok with me. Disney must be targeting the wealthy 1% for this one.

20 bungalows!

I was a huge fan of the resort layout and environment when we last stayed there two years ago. The room though was in a very old building (tokeleu sp?) and the elevators were tiny, room walls were paper thin, and just seemed very tired. I would have considered buying if there were brand new buildings like the VGF, besides the bungalows, but no way now if only a renovation of the old, terrible, buildings. I still remember hearing the neighbors in the room next to ours whispering to each other the last time we were at the Polynesian. No way will I buy into that, and since I cannot afford enough points to stay in a bungalow for more than 1 night, out of the question.

Well I am in the minority when I say Yes! I want to buy at the POLY. My reasons? I presently own at BWV, BC, and AKV. My kids are grown and not interested in DW. My young DGD and I go together every year and I travel by myself there or invite a friend when on other trips. Every other year my DH goes with me - he is sort of a lukewarm fan. So studios work for me. I use BWV and BCV for F&G Festival or F&W. I use AKV for Christmas or Halloween. I would like to stay at a monorail villa and do stay occasionally at VWL, but cannot get in at Christmas. There are probably enough studios to get into POLY at any time 7 months but I love the resort and the location though not a fan of the restaurants. But the monorail is the big key. I don't care for the pressed and polished GFV - not my style. And I dislike the Contemporary theme. I think over time the point value at the POLY will double - so the buy in cost doesn't make much difference. I bought all my existing points resale but regret not buying Contemporary when they first came out. So this time I am buying when the points cost the least - but only buying enough for a weekend stay. If I can get in at 7 months with my other points that will be great. If I can't then I will have my home resort and do a split stay or a cash stay for half. I am really excited about being a POLY owner!!!

Life is too short not to buy where you love to stay. If you love the resort and the rooms, then welcome as a new owner. Question is, buy now direct before staying there or wait a couple of years and buy resale?

To be clear, that would be for just one night in a bungalow. :scared1:

Redbudlover said:
Without doubt, there will be many who have solid reasons and a plan behind buying at Poly, at least those who generally prefer studios. As Bill says, life is too short not to buy where you like to stay. :thumbsup2

Wow, I'm surprised. It always seemed like most people here really wanted DVC at the Poly and would jump at the points. I don't think it would be for us, although I'd love to stay there at least once.

Wow, I'm surprised. It always seemed like most people here really wanted DVC at the Poly and would jump at the points. I don't think it would be for us, although I'd love to stay there at least once.
Keep in mind that those who stopped by are just a fraction of those who are looking at Poly points. Certainly, there will be plenty who want to and will buy there. What I'm generally seeing in terms of those who have opted to provide a comment is one of three camps: a) those for whom the price points have gotten so high in DVC that they no longer feel the new resorts are worth the expenditure; b) those who prefer 1BRs when they visit; and c) those who believe that with so many Poly studios, getting the occasional night(s) there won't be an issue at seven months, thus not being a need to purchase more points. All that aside, I am a bit surprised with the percentages thus far. I felt as though the "will" and "won't" camps would be roughly equal.

If they had offered a king bed in the studio or a one-bedroom option, we would have thought about it. Honestly we don't spend enough time in the room for it to matter that much, but dh and I have to have a king and we like the spaciousness of the non-hotel type resorts (SSR and OKW).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter