*POLL* What are your plans if affected by Disney Closure?

If affected by March Closure or COVID-19 in general- What are your plans? Cancel? Postpone?

• Cancel without reschedule

Votes: 51 15.8%
  • Reschedule to April or May

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • Reschedule to June or July

Votes: 44 13.6%
  • Reschedule to Aug or Sept

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • Reschedule to Oct or Nov

Votes: 44 13.6%
  • Reschedule to December or Jan

Votes: 24 7.4%
  • I have no idea what we're going to do

Votes: 85 26.3%
  • Other - can add additional info in comments

Votes: 14 4.3%

• Total voters
We are booked at the end of May for DD’s 10th birthday. I’m not sure what we will do. Part of me wants to go ahead and cancel before I book FPs so I can temper my disappointment. I’m also concerned about rebooking in the fall, as this virus might make a resurgence. Where I’m sitting right now (at home social distancing 😆), I think we will be celebrating DD’s 11th birthday at Disney World.

We have an April trip booked, but are rescheduling to sometime in August.
Do you think that a lot of international travelers will wait longer to reschedule or not reschedule at all compared to domestic? I know that WDW draws a large international crowd, but I see them being wary about traveling internationally for a while until everything calms down. Especially since this is affecting the whole world, unlike 9/11.

I have an end of August free dining trip we booked last year. Hoping that works out but we'll see.

My friend started planning her summer vacation (road trip) for the fun of it today (no bookings though). I told her after cancelling Disney, rebooking a local cottage trip, then cancelling that too this morning...my heart just can't take thinking of vacation right now. Maybe in a few days.

I also have a timeshare in Orlando booked for end of May. Don't have the heart to deal with that now and figured they'll be overwhelmed anyway. I imagine they will be flexible and let us move it as I can't see us travelling there that soon. But who knows? Things are changing all the time.

Our plans are for end of April, still holding out some hope but if not have booked back-up dates in both June and September. Would prefer June out of those two... we will go to Disney in 2020!!!

trip planned for the first week of June. If that doesn't work, I'll book for as soon as it's open again.

The CDC issued a recommendation to ban groups of 50 or more for the next 8 weeks. That takes this to mid May and i would not be surprised if it went longer

My DH & I were talking about Disney and the possibility of this closure being worse economically for Disney than the time around 9/11. We were thinking not because of the actual closure time, but if people don’t/can’t rebook because our economy. I guess what I getting to is, is anyone worried about their future finances because of the market & all the closures (people’s workplaces being closed & layoffs), & considering not rebooking or canceling a future trip this year for that reason?
Everything seems so uncertain right now.

We are booked for April 15, and although I haven't yet cancelled, I know that ship has sailed. I plan to rebook for late June but even that seems questionable. Fingers crossed for our health and the economy that this resolves quickly and people do their part to flatten the curve. I think at this point mid May is the absolute soonest there is even a sliver of a possibility of reopening.

I was looking at the title of this post and just pondering the whole situation. I know the intent of this post was for folks who had actually planned a trip over the actual closure dates (tbd) that are immediately affected. But now I'm looking at this post a whole new way because the fallout of this closure will affect EVERYONE who currently has plans or is only only thinking about going to WDW in the near future.

First off, when WDW does reopen - I have a feeling it will be a limited opening with just 1 or possibly 2 parks, and not all resorts and restaurants open. The staffing levels needed to reopen everything is just not there anymore. It would take a while to ramp up to a point where all 4 parks, restaurants and resorts, as well as places in Disney Springs, are open. However, unless there's a miracle, any place that reopens this year while we are still (1) waiting for a working vaccine and (2) have actually enough vaccine to inoculate everyone and (3) people have actually been vaccinated - I think there will be mandatory measures in place that somehow restrict access to rides and crowding in general. That means no parades and nighttime fireworks and standing in lines for rides - you would be required to have a FP+ to get on a ride. Current crowds levels in the parks would need to be handled, so the levels needed to cause the various stages of parks closures in the past could be drastically reduced. They could also totally restrict the parks to ONLY resort guests.

Now on the opposite end of such draconian measures, say none of the above happens. Anyone with current plans for WDW are still affected by the closures because there are many folks that are now planning to go to WDW during your trip that weren't before.

Last edited:
After 20 years of waiting to go back, we are scheduled for mid-May. Due to the work schedules of the 5 adults in our party, we will be rescheduling to 2021 May. Praying for a miracle but being realistic all at the same time that we will still go this year. But WDW isn't going anywhere. There will be even more new attractions open we haven't seen. And we'll celebrate our daughter's 30th birthday in the parks instead of our 30th wedding anniversary.

I was looking at the title of this post and just pondering the whole situation. I know the intent of this post was for folks who had actually planned a trip over the actual closure dates (tbd) that are immediately affected. But now I'm looking at this post a whole new way because the fallout of this closure will affect EVERYONE who currently has plans or is only only thinking about going to WDW in the near future.

First off, when WDW does reopen - I have a feeling it will be a limited opening with just 1 or possibly 2 parks, and not all resorts and restaurants open. The staffing levels needed to reopen everything is just not there anymore. It would take a while to ramp up to a point where all 4 parks, reataurants and resorts, as well as places in Disney Springs, are open. However, unless there's a miracle, any place that reopens this year while we are still (1) waiting for a working vaccine and (2) have actually enough vaccine to inoculate everyone and (3) people have actually been vaccinated - I think there will be mandatory measures in place that somehow restrict access to rides and crowding in general. That means no parades and nighttime fireworks and standing in lines for rides - you would be required to have a FP+ to get on a ride. Current crowds levels in the parks would need to be handled, so the levels needed to cause the various stages of parks closures in the past could be drastically reduced. They could also totally restrict the parks to ONLY resort guests.

Now on the opposite end of such draconian measures, say none of the above happens. Anyone with current plans for WDW are still affected by the closures because there are many folks that are now planning to go to WDW during your trip that weren't before.

For sure a lot has changed since I first posted this poll. I posted last Friday when I felt like Disney would probably be open again in April. Maybe I was in denial & not thinking clear.. maybe I was still in shock our whole trip was completely fried.. So much has transpired since then, I agree this post has a whole new meaning. Everyone who was planning or is planning a Disney trip will be affected.
Our spring break trip that was planned for next week was a cash reservation. But we are DVC members.. I know this will wreck havoc on availability for a while to come.
Our way of thinking has shifted a bit over the last few days... we’ve gone from “we’ve gotta find a time to reschedule” to “we need to wait & see what happens”. This is hard on my type A, Disney obsessed, planning personality but it’s what we’re all faced with.
I am hoping Disney keeps us all updated the best they can during the closure & announce any closure extensions as soon as they can.
Be well everyone!

I have no idea about replacing my current trip that was cancelled but we already have dates booked for May, July, and November. Maybe a F&W trip???

I voted a few days ago to reschedule in December. As the days have passed I am realizing that to even guess which days would work is presumptuous, on my part! We have no idea what altered schedules the schools and universities will implement to make up for this loss! I could plan a trip, thinking "business as usual", of course my college aged son will be out on break on those dates, but who knows? To make up for these days of education that have been lost, all historic academic calendars might be out the window! Having said that, I think the universities are more capable of handling their classes online than K-12.

My plans are for early April. A few days at the beach, then a few days at Yacht Club. We have APs that expire in mid April.

At this point, we're sitting and waiting. Probably going to go ahead and go to the beach no matter what. We have a few nights in St. Pete Beach already. Might just have to scramble for a hotel room at the beach if WDW doesn't re-open in time, might not rebook until next March.

Many beaches are closed right now, so just keep that in mind when planning trips. My sister wants to plan a beach trip for the last week of June, around the 4th of July weekend at Myrtle Beach, and the areas just south of MB. But I am not sure that we should book it. I figure even if the virus has slowed down at that time, many popular beaches, such as Myrtle Beach might have restrictions on public access. So, I am leaning towards not scheduling a beach trip this year.
Waiting to see how it impacts jobs before planning my next trip.
My DH & I were talking about Disney and the possibility of this closure being worse economically for Disney than the time around 9/11. We were thinking not because of the actual closure time, but if people don’t/can’t rebook because our economy. I guess what I getting to is, is anyone worried about their future finances because of the market & all the closures (people’s workplaces being closed & layoffs), & considering not rebooking or canceling a future trip this year for that reason?
Everything seems so uncertain right now.

Yes, you and mkb3 are thinking along the same lines as myself. I am thinking of just altogether cancelling right now and then hope that I can reschedule for summer 2021 instead. As a teacher, I am limited to Christmas time and the summer. Thanksgiving does not work for us since our district only gives us Wed-Friday of Thanksgiving week off and if I take any days before or after those, then the holiday days will all be without pay and I most likely will not be approved for those days off. I have been waiting for six years to go back so a huge disappointment for me, just like all of you. But as others have said this is just a lose of a fun vacation, not something more vital in day-to-day living. Stay safe.

We would go over Thanksgiving break. But we leave June 26th, so I don't know how likely it is we would have to reschedule

Ugh, I'm really debating this, now- my vacation was set for April 21st, and they've announced nothing since the closure, BUT...

* I'm Canadian, and the borders are closed "temporarily". No idea when that's lifted.
* Possibly having to still self-isolate for 14 days.
* Final payment is coming up soon. Obviously you can still reschedule, especially if stuff like this happens (I have restaurant reservations for September as a back up plan).

I mean, I don't want to cancel now and then it's all "oh, everything is fine now!". BUT, what if the parks reopen with heavily delayed hours or projects?

Any advice?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter